Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

some texas redneck posted:

Spare D70S body here. Memory card slot is FUBAR and the image sensor is filthy, but it's good as a learning tool.

Especially the capacitor.

sharkytm posted:

I've also got a spare D80 body... we should talk.

You guys are awesome, if I could resurrect my flash on my D40 that would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did a bunch of work to the Commuter yesterday. Put a new petcock on the tank since I think I have most of the old gas crust douched out now. Being a part of the frame made that harder than usual. Tightened down a few things like the speedo, headlight, rear shocks, brake/clutch/decomp cables, stuff like that. Put a new fuel filter on to catch the remaining gas tank junk from making it to the bowl in the carb. I tested out my work by driving it to a couple friends houses putting about 20 miles on it and it ran flawlessly, I think I nailed it.

I also changed the seat out with a long one that is way more comfortable. Took some work though since the tube on the long seat was much smaller in diameter than the stock one. I found a piece of pipe that was just about the right size in between and welded it to the long seat post. Then ran some beads down the tube to increase the diameter and it worked great, tightened down like it should be.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I keep forgetting to take pictures when I do it but I fixed a bunch more poo poo on the Commuter last night. The rear brake was squeaking a LOT and it was wicked annoying. I ended up taking the whole thing apart and running the shoes on my wire wheel and sanding down the drum by hand. I also cleaned up the entire wheel and brake assembly. That seemed to get rid of the noise and now the brake works ten times better as a bonus. That and I put a new cable on since the old one was getting frayed and raggety.

Took the chain off and cleaned that all out and put proper chain lube on it.

The brake light wasnt working either. Turns out that the brake lever for the front was bent just enough to that it didnt click off the switch so the brake light was actually on all of the time. Bent that back into place and now it works great.

I forgot how Zen working on bikes is. Its so much more relaxing than working on cars for some reason.

My plan for today was to ride around town and take pictures with my good camera but of course it picked today to rain after not raining here for like a month, oh well.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im just gonna cross post this from the moped thread for now:

Well I got the first hit of my upcoming addiction with a 1976 Columbia Commuter. I was casually looking for a moped when I went to a friends house to help him fix some small machinery he wanted to sell and it was sitting in the shed with all the other stuff. It was his step dads and he used to hunt mushrooms in the woods with it. It had like 1975 miles on it and hadnt run in 3 years but started right up with a little 2 stroke added. Got it for $150 and the fixing of the other machines.

It ran very briefly when I got home and the petcock was leaking like a bastard. I blew out the carb and fabbed up a lovely fuel line with some fittings I had laying around and put a filter in to keep the crap from the gas tank from getting to the carb while I waited to get a new petcock. Ran it like that for a few days and all was good...ish. It needed all new cables, the back brake squeaked like a bastard, brake lights didnt work, clutch seemed too eager to grab, etc, etc. Then one day while I was playing with the carb the kickstand broke and while I was looking at what happened my luck with the 40 year old tires ran out and the back one blew up right next to my ear so I quit for that day.

A fellow goon friend and moped addict stopped by a little later with new a petcock tube and tire that I could use and I was back on the road again, for a little while. With my renewed enthusiasm for the bike I spent a Saturday night douching out the gas tank and installing the new petcock. I also put in a new cable for the rear brake, fixed the brake lights which was just a bent brake handle that kept the switch from opening so the brake light was on all the time. I also removed the rear wheel to run the brake linings over my wire wheel and sand the drum down which fixed the horrible squeaking noise. Cleaned everything up back there along with cleaning and relubing the chain. Again all was good, for a little while, as we all know.

Spent the next week or so driving it all over town and even out of town. It was glorious. Then another betrayal from my trusty steel steed. Ran fine to a place in town, luckily close by but then wouldnt start when I went to leave. And it was uphill on the way home. Walked it up the hill and pedaled (slowly) on the flats. Turns out the spark plug wasn't sparking as much and as often as it should. Probably the points or condenser, right? I find the owners manual online and go to work cleaning and gapping the points and plug. Made a small improvement but still no go. While I'm diagnosing the spark I find that the start/decomp cable is binding and needs to be replaced so I get to work on that. Take the transmission cover off to find a horrible black mess, which I clean thoroughly and then remove the parts to get the cable out and of course it has an end on it that doesn't match any of the new cables I have, on a Saturday night, again. With no options of getting the right cable right away I cut off the cable end that fits and drill a hole through it and fit one of the cables I do have, bypass the decomp because it leaks and I also have huge muscular legs and dont have time for that weak rear end poo poo. Put it all back together with some shiny new trans fluid and get back to my spark problem. It was the spark plug and I should have known that. I tried a new plug I had lying around and nothing but big glorious sparks are coming from it. Picked up a new plug that fit the bike the next day and all has been good. With the new cable and start lever adjusted, new clean trans and perfectly gapped points and new plug it has never run better. Lets see how long the glory days last this time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
God drat Roy and getting you hooked on moped drugs. Both of you are ravenous mopedophiles.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I know, that fucker got me hooked. As soon as I get it running good I'm just gonna gently caress it all up again by throwing a kit at that bitch and I cant wait cause its gonna be loving rad to peg the 45mph speedo.

e: also your new av is loving AWESOME

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

I know, that fucker got me hooked. As soon as I get it running good I'm just gonna gently caress it all up again by throwing a kit at that bitch and I cant wait cause its gonna be loving rad to peg the 45mph speedo.

e: also your new av is loving AWESOME

Obligitory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_kIUSr7-is

Wish I didn't have a long rear end highway commute, mopeds look like a blast and a nice relaxing low-key wrenching experience as well.

Living the dream man.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

I forgot how Zen working on bikes is. Its so much more relaxing than working on cars for some reason.

Truth. I spent lots of time keeping my lovely '89 Razz running year round in college. Nothing quite like being able to wheel your ~90? lb bike into your ground floor apartment through the sliding glass door when it's 10 degrees outside to wrench on it in comfort, and also being able to do almost everything with a $5 Chinese socket set and no jack or lifting equipment whatsoever. I don't know how many miles you're supposed to be able to get out of a 49cc 2 stroke between rebuilds, but that drat bike rolled the 4 digit odometer once while I had it, and made it halfway to another 10k before I graduated without any kind of motor work (at least while I had it). It smoked like a motherfucker and was definitely down on power compared to the '87 Razz I picked up for $75 off CL (with about 3500 miles on it) though. I didn't ride that one as much because the frame felt smaller somehow - I think Yamaha may have tweaked the seating position / frame size a little bit at some point between 1987 and 1989 to accommodate taller people.

I then gifted both to my mechanically retarded brother, and they stopped running very quickly after that. :sigh: They've both been sitting in his shed since. I bet they'd fire right up with some TLC, although I have no idea what I'd do with them if I managed to retrieve them and bring them out here.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea working on it is so easy. All I need is like a flathead screwdriver, pliers and a couple sockets or wrenches and if it needs "serious" work I just put it up on the workbench. I too wonder how long the engine/drivetrain lasts. This one just turned 2000 miles while I had it and everything seems really solid so far though I wont really know for sure since the kit means a new pretty much everything engine related. With the added power the next weakest link will probably be the clutch and after what I found inside the transmission I wonder how much life is left in that. The black sludge I cleaned out was pretty intense.

Im lucky where I live in a small town with a few bars and stores and a lot of my friends and family live within mopeding distance on back roads. It has become my primary mode of transportation for anything less than 10-20 miles and I dont need to carry a lot of stuff which is like 99% of what I do. Now it seems like a huge hassle to have to get into anything with 4 wheels to go somewhere and even the fun stuff like the C10 isnt as fun as just getting on the bike and taking off.

In other news the Javelin is going home today. I just got done with the carburetor yesterday and Im going to do the cold start test this morning to make sure everything works as it should. Im going to wash it up and take some good pictures before it goes away. Im gonna miss driving it around blasting the Scorpions and Bad Company through the 6x9s in the rear shelf but the next car thats coming is even more awesomer. Not sure when its getting here since the guy is leaving for vacation but its a badass car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I drove the Javelin back to the guys house yesterday and he let me drive this on the way back to my house:

Holy poo poo is that thing awesome. Its an 08 with 8K miles on it and has never even been out in the rain. The previous owner had done some stuff to it and it dynoed 510hp at the rear wheels. I didnt get to get on it much since the owner was with me but holy shitsticks was it fast and sounded awesome. The interior ruled too, it has an all black interior with leather and suede seats with a red stripe on them.

He also said I could take the Javelin to the AMC Nationals coming up in July if it isn't sold by then which will be the cats pajamas.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Fart Pipe posted:

He also said I could take the Javelin to the AMC Nationals coming up in July if it isn't sold by then which will be the cats pajamas.

You can take it even if it is sold.... BECAUSE YOU SHOULD loving BUY IT!!!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Dude I so want to but I already have enough old poo poo, haha

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did some more work to the Commuter since I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night.

I added some reinforcement to the basket. When I put the long seat on I had to move it back and it would sag when I put 2 bags of potting soil or a 12 pack in it. Just used some bracing that came with my garage door opener that I didnt use. Works great now.

Then one of my friends that rides a Harley gave me this mirror thats probably worth more than the moped.

The side covers were looking pretty bad so I painted them and put on some stickers that I have lying around.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Fart Pipe posted:

Did some more work to the Commuter since I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night.

I added some reinforcement to the basket. When I put the long seat on I had to move it back and it would sag when I put 2 bags of potting soil or a 12 pack in it. Just used some bracing that came with my garage door opener that I didnt use. Works great now.

Then one of my friends that rides a Harley gave me this mirror thats probably worth more than the moped.

The side covers were looking pretty bad so I painted them and put on some stickers that I have lying around.

Should have painted on some stripes for extra horsepower.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Should have painted on some stripes for extra horsepower.

That may happen next time I get bored, we'll see. Not that I need that much more power with all the 47cc I have to work with.

Took a pic with my good camera finally

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Welp, this followed me home today. Top tank, kick start, 2 speed, blinkers. moving on up I guess. Im gonna make this the fast one now and leave the Commuter pretty stock, except for maybe a pipe and a rejet.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

That may happen next time I get bored, we'll see. Not that I need that much more power with all the 47cc I have to work with.

Took a pic with my good camera finally

How about a wire milk crate instead of the plastic orange crate for that 'period correct' fit and finish.
Looking pretty nice!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

extreme_accordion posted:

How about a wire milk crate instead of the plastic orange crate for that 'period correct' fit and finish.
Looking pretty nice!

I had a metal crate but I ran it over by accident a while back :( I like that crate because its from a creamery place in the same town where the bike was made in Westfield, MA.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Cleaned up the Tomos today and finishing up my shopping cart at treatland. This thing is gonna haul rear end. Just looked at the generator too and its 80 watts which will be great for phone/gps, etc.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
You guys got me wanting a moped or scooter now.

e: Despite already having a motorcycle that I never get to ride

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Fart Pipe posted:

I had a metal crate but I ran it over by accident a while back :( I like that crate because its from a creamery place in the same town where the bike was made in Westfield, MA.

My friend's dad used to work at that dairy and he has a ton of vintage stuff. I can try to snag you another crate!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

dreesemonkey posted:

Seen just now while I was out

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

Do it, its wicked cheap fun and totally addictive.

Noise Complaint posted:

My friend's dad used to work at that dairy and he has a ton of vintage stuff. I can try to snag you another crate!

Oh man thatd be awesome, especially if you could find a metal one.

QuarkMartial posted:

Seen just now while I was out

Is that a moped? It looks like it has pedals, I wonder what kind it is because it looks sweet.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It's not a moped. If it's there later I'll grab another picture.

E: It was gone when I went back earlier.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 8, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Just got done putting a Gianelli pipe on the Commuter and oh man what a difference. Its way faster and sounds cool. I got 4 jets bigger than the stock one but it turned out the stock jet was the best. Even one step up was 4 stroking at the top. It does 30 now instead of 25 and wicked bump in power starting around 17mph, climbs hills like a champ too.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I finally got the Targa running today. Put new rings in it on Friday but it turned that out it was missing the oring between the carb and intake. It had a massive air leak and would only run badly with the choke on. Started on one kick once I put the seal in and idled contentedly.

Then I had to cut the stock pipe off because it was so clogged that I couldnt even blow through it with my mouth. I chopped the pipe off the header with the sawzall and shittily welded the stock pipe from the Commuter onto it for now. I have a new pipe, bigger carb and a few other goodies coming for it on Friday so Im not too worried about it for the time being. I rode it around a bunch today and it runs good enough. The 2 speed transmission is such a nice step up from the one speed on the Commuter. First gear is deep so it takes right off instead of having to wait around for the power band like the Commuter. The speedo cable was wasted so Im not sure how fast it goes but it feels like 30-35mph or so which is nice since I can keep up with traffic in town.

One of my other Harley friends gave me these boss flame style mirrors to put on it

Pic of both the bikes

And the new pipe and sticker that came with it on the Commuter

I cant wait to get the pipe and bigger carb for the Targa this week. Its gonna fuckin rip.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
50cc scoots are so much fun. I'll often do a hundred miles on my Ninja and then come home and hop on my scoot to go run errands. I've been thinking hard lately about swapping my scoot for an actual moped, those Sachs bikes are sexy as well. On the other hand, my scoot has Pirelli Diablos and nice suspension/disc brakes...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea these bikes are way too much fun, especially when you start adding the go fast parts. I use the yellow one for errands all the time. Its way more fun and easier than getting in a car to do them.

Im getting these tires for the Tomos, rated for 93 mph, haha

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Had an awesome NEAI weekend where we got this out of the failing greenhouse of vehicular death:

Then it was back to work as usual

And:

And I got Big Red cleaned up. I checked the radiator today while running and I dont see bubbles but sometimes the exhaust smells like coolant :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im getting a free LS6.0 whatever donor van soon for the 86 GMC. This winter when I have time to work on stuff is gonna be awesome.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Also my friend and I took the corn binder to look at a dentside Ford down the street and he ended up putting a deposit on it and is getting it on Tuesday or Wednesday. Its a 79 and has 50k and minimal rust and today was a good day. Its a 302/C4 and the poo poo was mint.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fart Pipe posted:

Im getting a free LS6.0 whatever donor van soon for the 86 GMC. This winter when I have time to work on stuff is gonna be awesome.

God, I hate you.

Fart Pipe posted:

Also my friend and I took the corn binder to look at a dentside Ford down the street and he ended up putting a deposit on it and is getting it on Tuesday or Wednesday. Its a 79 and has 50k and minimal rust and today was a good day. Its a 302/C4 and the poo poo was mint.

I hate your friend, too.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My step uncle owns a micro brewery and he brought me a ton of awesome beer yesterday too so Im even more hateable.

Ill get pics of the dentside when we get it here sometime this week.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fart Pipe posted:

My step uncle owns a micro brewery and he brought me a ton of awesome beer yesterday too so Im even more hateable.

Ill get pics of the dentside when we get it here sometime this week.

AAAAHHHHHH :argh:

:(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fart Pipe posted:

yesssssss :getin:

Depending on what the rearend is, I might be interested in buying it off you for my blue MJ.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Dude its all yours. I figure we can strip the bitch in a weekend or less and all I want is the engine and tranny. Im gonna keep the stock rear in the 86.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That'd be awesome!

As for the tranny won't this engine bolt right up to your mantrans? I was pretty sure it would.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It should but I dont want the man trans any more and I dont think it would handle the 6.0 anyway. I just have to figure out something for the dump bed since Ill lose the PTO. Probably change it to electric.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats going to make that truck a million times more usable in terms of just shear power and fuel economy.

It should be a 4L80e behind it in a heavy duty van (I think, if its anything like the pickups)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea exactly. The 350 thats in it now runs perfect but oh my god its so painfully slow. Im hoping teh van is a 4L80 but even if its a 60 it'll hold up to what Im using it for, I drive like an 80 year old man.

I probably wont get it into the 86 this year because I guess its got almost 300k on the van so Im going to rebuild it first but we'll see. The 86 only has 48k on it and my uncles changed the oil like every 2000 miles or less so I'll have a pretty fresh 350 bottom end for some other project like the 54 Chevy if the 6 cylinder isnt saveable.

I also found this on youtube this morning. I dont know what exact model mine is yet but they were asking 220k for this car and its sold :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNlSdShagU