Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I was considering putting in a manservant/chaperon PC a few days ago but I couldn't think up a good characterization at the time and seeing as I'm in a pile of games already I decided against it. I'll probably stick around and read though, maybe I'll submit him if a bunch of characters die.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Also I am kind of in awe of how many of you had the courage to pick Strength as your dump stat. Eight out of thirteen of you think that you will be able to survive primarily by your wits rather than your sword arm. All I have to say is: good luck with that!

Six of those eight are casters and who needs a sword when you can incinerate someone with your mind? :smugwizard: The majority of the casters also have sixteen dex while the other two of the eight are rogues and why would you ever take strength over dexterity as a rogue when your main damage dealing ability and your armor all key off of your dex mod. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
My only regret is that I couldn't also get Charisma to 16, but oh well. Eldritch Bolt should solve most of my damage output problems if my longbow doesn't. Note to self: Get proficiency in Stealth somehow.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Six of those eight are casters and who needs a sword when you can incinerate someone with your mind? :smugwizard: The majority of the casters also have sixteen dex while the other two of the eight are rogues and why would you ever take strength over dexterity as a rogue when your main damage dealing ability and your armor all key off of your dex mod. :v:

Muscle wizard is actually a rather effective build, if Hoard taught me anything.

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 26, 2015

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Brewsuke posted:

My only regret is that I couldn't also get Charisma to 16, but oh well. Eldritch Bolt should solve most of my damage output problems if my longbow doesn't. Note to self: Get proficiency in Stealth somehow.

There's probably an invocation for it somewhere considering there's invocations to do any thing.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

djw175 posted:

There's probably an invocation for it somewhere considering there's invocations to do any thing.

For getting Stealth proficiency? Or getting charisma to 16? If Charisma really mattered to me, I could've rolled up a Drow.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
So I had a hell of a time selecting the best 6-8 characters given so many strong builds, compelling backstories, and enthusiastic posters; therefore, I have decided (to paraphrase the immortal words of The Onion): gently caress Everything, We're Doing Ten Players!

They are:
Reava d'Medani, Half-Elf Warlock played by djw175
Lieutenant Celio d'Lyrandar, Half-Elf Rogue played by Quorum
Kalud d'Torrn, Half-Orc Druid played by Drone
"Cain Arkans d'Orien", Changeling Sorceror played by Quadratic_Wizard
Nebra d'Cannith, Human Artificer played by Ryuujin
Bastion Nine, Half-Elf Rogue played by Waador
Tharn d'Cannith, Human Cleric played by Epicurius
Leshanna d'ThuranniPhiarlan, High Elf Warlock played by Brewsuke
Colum "the Old Badger" MacCullach, Human Barbarian played by DaemonWyrm
Elizara d'Sivis, Gnome Bard played by Old Kentucky Shark

One way that I think this will work is for me to try to incorporate player-specific "side quests" in parallel to the overall plot -- that way you all are not inflicting ten simultaneous attempts at Persuasion upon one hapless NPC, given that some of you will likely be focused elsewhere at least some of the time. I'm also envisioning this game as being a bit more sandbox-y, up to and including some mild PvP elements (since in the setting, the various Houses are in conflict with one another at least as often as they cooperate), although I'm definitely not going for direct physical confrontation among party members. Apart from that restriction, don't necessarily expect me to prompt you with explicit options for your actions; ideally, you will decide that for yourself -- in fact, I'm rather excited to make this more of a collaborative storytelling endeavor.

Since the party is 25% bigger than I figured going in, my updates may take slightly longer to post (especially if the party splits up), so I'm hoping you can all be patient with me. Conversely, I'm hoping that you will all ensure that the rest of the party is not waiting too long on any one of you in those situations where a specific character's actions are needed to move things forward. Similarly, if Real Life intrudes for whatever reason and your character needs to be NPC'ed for a period of time, please let me know as soon as possible in this thread. With that said, while this is a bit of an experiment on my part, I do think that 10 players is manageable.

In other news, I do have the initial game post very nearly finished (I was actually working on that quite a lot while I was pondering my character selections), so you can definitely expect the game to go live in the next 24 hours.

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 28, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Good Lord 10 players :stare:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
10 people huh? This'll either be amazing or a complete clusterfuck. Either way, I'm glad to be a part of it!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My character's not for you, he's more of a Shelbyville character. :colbert:

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?

Haschel Cedricson posted:

My character's not for you, he's more of a Shelbyville character. :colbert:

Now, wait just a minute. We're twice as smart as the people of Shelbyville!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
It will likely be wise to have some sort of IRC channel to coordinate the complexities of a 10-man party.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Waador posted:

It will likely be wise to have some sort of IRC channel to coordinate the complexities of a 10-man party.

Seconded, I know one of the problems I often have with PBP is the lack of a metachannel to discuss fine details, small questions, and generally communicate amongst ourselves without clogging up the actual play thread.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That wouldn't be a bad plan.

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

I'm in, anybody know how to do that?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

DaemonWyrm posted:

I'm in, anybody know how to do that?
For the moment I have created #tenmanraid on SynIRC. Can switch it over to something else later if anyone has a more appropriate or clever channel in mind.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Waador posted:

For the moment I have created #tenmanraid on SynIRC. Can switch it over to something else later if anyone has a more appropriate or clever channel in mind.

This works. Thanks for setting it up! But what I want to know is: which one of you is Leeroy Jenkins?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

This works. Thanks for setting it up! But what I want to know is: which one of you is Leeroy Jenkins?

Given our characters... probably me. :negative:

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
I'm a scrub who doesn't know how to IRC properly. Someone walk me through it like you would if you had to teach a five year old or a really old person how to use it.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

If you don't want to download a client or anything click this type in a username and then start chatting.

I've started thinking up a build for my manservant character just in case 90% of y'all die so don't worry about a lack of replacements :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 27, 2015

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Brewsuke posted:

I'm a scrub who doesn't know how to IRC properly. Someone walk me through it like you would if you had to teach a five year old or a really old person how to use it.

First, you need a client. You can have clients that run in your browser, or ones that are a standalone program. I suggest chatzilla, because it's the easiest to setup and use.

http://chatzilla.rdmsoft.com/xulrunner/

Open it up, and you'll have a box you can type in text like a standard chatroom. Type "/server irc.synirc.net" into it without the quotes, then type "/join #tenmanraid", again with no quotes.

Once you get that far, any other questions can be answered in the chat.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
A Plague On All Your Houses is now live!

That's a big huge wall'o'text to start you off, but each of you will have one section with your name highlighted toward the top. Please do read the other sections at some point too, as there's at least a modicum of overlap for many of you. If there's anything that's unclear or any important information that's missing, please let me know and I will add it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Are you looking for any particular posting format?

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Brewsuke posted:

I couldn't get the web client to work but it works on my android phone using andChat. https://www.synirc.net/servers | https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.andchat

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

I don't really know the ettiquette of PBP, is it cool if I stole your format Waador? I really liked the layout you used.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

By the way, we should probably all compare notes on timezones, just so nobody is expecting lightning-quick responses or anything when it turns out the other person is in the middle of sleeping.

I'm Central Europe (UTC+1).

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Drone posted:

By the way, we should probably all compare notes on timezones, just so nobody is expecting lightning-quick responses or anything when it turns out the other person is in the middle of sleeping.

I'm Central Europe (UTC+1).

Eastern USA (Currently UTC-4 but UTC-5 when the winter comes)

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Pacific Standard Time here (GMT -7)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

djw175 posted:

Eastern USA (Currently UTC-4 but UTC-5 when the winter comes)

Eastern time is best time.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am also Pacific Standard.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
us central time.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

US Eastern Standard, but I have to go to bed early on weeknights.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
I, too, am Eastern Standard time, but I'm unavailable on weekends, because I work 4-12. Mondays and Tuesdays are when I'm most available, because my work schedule is weird. But hey, that's retail for you. Also, I got rick-rolled in my character intro thing. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Brewsuke fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 28, 2015

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Also Eastern time.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I'm in Sydney (UTC+10). Also, counterintuitively, weekdays are better for me to post since I can take breaks at work, whereas on the weekends I'm mostly swamped with making sure the two small humans living in my house don't kill themselves.

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

I've got this school thing all weekend so I might be a little MIA tomorrow and Sunday. I'm still reading and everything when I get a second but...my updates'll be a little short till Monday

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Quadratic_Wizard, running at the enormous monster is an inspired bit of lunacy. It still could go terribly, terribly wrong, but I can't think of any better way to get the other ravenous beast off your back.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
Since it was ignoring me, I was tempted to run up it and take a flying leap off it, just to make sure the owlbear would definitely get into its path. But considering that either of these things can snap me like a twig and I don't want to get into melee reach with them...this is probably the safest.

Still crazy dangerous, but hey, yolo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So uhh, I'm just fighting the human guy, right? These predators closing in aren't quite there yet?

Do I need to worry about map placement/maneuvering or anything or is it pretty much assumed that the human and I are already within melee range? And do I still get the bonus to druid stuff from being in this glade?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Drone posted:

So uhh, I'm just fighting the human guy, right? These predators closing in aren't quite there yet?

Do I need to worry about map placement/maneuvering or anything or is it pretty much assumed that the human and I are already within melee range? And do I still get the bonus to druid stuff from being in this glade?

The predators are close; exactly how close is unclear. You are definitely melee-close to the human. Yes on the druid bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So I think what we've learned is that Elven is not the language to speak when you're trying to hide information from this party.

• Locked thread