Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Private security are either direct employees of the relevant megacorp (like the Red Samurai) or are employees of a semi-megacorp like Knight Errant or Lone Star. They aren't really innocent. Also you can talk your way around almost every private security encounter in Hong Kong except for the ones where you're supposed to make a mess of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know if I missed a tooltip somewhere, but say I'm at 5.5 essence. Is my spellcasting ability already affected? Can I get another .5 cyberware without affecting my spellcasting?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
The answers I'm fairly sure, are yes and yes. But depending on your build, you might not notice. (Hi, Troll Blood Mage, many more adepts.)

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know if I missed a tooltip somewhere, but say I'm at 5.5 essence. Is my spellcasting ability already affected? Can I get another .5 cyberware without affecting my spellcasting?

Yes to both questions. Your spellcasting is already affected because you are below 6 essence, but 5.5 essence and 5 essence functionally the same thing, so you are free to grab another .5 essence worth of cyberware.

Note that the .3 essence cyberware all seem to actually cost .25 essence, so you could fit two of those on your character without any additional decrease to your magic ability.

Depending on your build and how important your spells are to your character, you might want to throw points in cyber affinity to get your essence back to 6 or allow for additional cyberware.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any idea why some cyberware appears to add to base stats and others don't? I just installed an Enchephalon and my Int went up by 1 on the karma screen. Installing a SK skillwire did the same for quickness/ranged weapons, but an alpha cyberleg didn't permanently boost quickness at all. I do have cyberaffinity 6.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hey man, when you sign up with private security in the Shadowrun-verse, you're basically agreeing to be the megacorps' lapdog, and obedient servant to the status quo. As far as I'm concerned, their deaths are just.

Cyberpunk's all about class warfare, and they're the standing army of capital. Enemy soldiers must die.

But most of the time you're killing them while on the payroll of some other megacorporation, in pursuit of its goals.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

All I know is that at the end of Tsang Tower when I ran into that last security squad it felt drat good to just go "do you really want to do this" and for them to emphatically say "no".

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

But most of the time you're killing them while on the payroll of some other megacorporation, in pursuit of its goals.

This.

Also, the PnP is better for this - gel rounds and stick'n'shock are what most smart runner teams use against base-level rent-a-cops. More than enough effect and you don't leave a trail of corpses that may entice their former employers to think that retribution is in order or their former colleagues to adopt a no quarters policy towards you. When elite corpsec like the Red Samurai show up, you bring out the firepower. But some little mallcop-level security guard? That'd be both a waste and liable to bring the bigger guns down on your head in return.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 1, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Varam posted:

Yes to both questions. Your spellcasting is already affected because you are below 6 essence, but 5.5 essence and 5 essence functionally the same thing, so you are free to grab another .5 essence worth of cyberware.

Note that the .3 essence cyberware all seem to actually cost .25 essence, so you could fit two of those on your character without any additional decrease to your magic ability.

Depending on your build and how important your spells are to your character, you might want to throw points in cyber affinity to get your essence back to 6 or allow for additional cyberware.

Does essence affect Chi Casting/Willpower, or is it just mage spells?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

El Generico posted:

Trying to polish off Dragonfall, having trouble keeping the Main Terminal alive in the face of all the guys from two different factions who are co-operating for no aforementioned reason.

They're a Matrix-centric cult. They're being manipulated by APEX and that includes killing you.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Am I using the drones incorrectly in one of the last battles, where you get some automated drones to turn on. You select the room and I used them in the lolcrowded room full of enemies that my arbitrarily limited group of four must attack grossly outnumbered. Anyway, that fight destroys my team and the drones are basically useless.

Any help?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

BadAstronaut posted:

Am I using the drones incorrectly in one of the last battles, where you get some automated drones to turn on. You select the room and I used them in the lolcrowded room full of enemies that my arbitrarily limited group of four must attack grossly outnumbered. Anyway, that fight destroys my team and the drones are basically useless.

Any help?

Is this for Dragonfall ? Which part The run on APEX ?

I just wish there was more money in Hong Kong, they're super stingy with the moola. Also anyone got a answer for my Kindly question? Is she suppose to be gone? I can't access her building. I also can't read any mail or claim payments on my computer either. It's just "go to walled city".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Any idea how they're rebalancing the adept powers? I need to see if I should hurry up and finish my game before the patch goes live or not.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hollismason posted:

I just wish there was more money in Hong Kong, they're super stingy with the moola. Also anyone got a answer for my Kindly question? Is she suppose to be gone? I can't access her building. I also can't read any mail or claim payments on my computer either. It's just "go to walled city".

You'll see Kindly after you're done with the walled city.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hollismason posted:

Also anyone got a answer for my Kindly question? Is she suppose to be gone? I can't access her building. I also can't read any mail or claim payments on my computer either. It's just "go to walled city".

Well you're kind of in a time crunch right then what with the Demon God King breaking through the walls of reality so yeah, you're supposed to go take care of that rather than having a chat at the mahjong parlor or checking your email.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Magni posted:

When elite corpse like the Red Samurai shows up, you bring out the firepower.

That's incredibly specific and he's actually a pretty chill dude. :colbert:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

xthetenth posted:

That's incredibly specific and he's actually a pretty chill dude. :colbert:

And he brought the firepower for them, no?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I just wish there was more money in Hong Kong, they're super stingy with the moola

I like the money crunch. I find prioritizing and working with limited resources to be far more interesting than always having enough money to buy the latest thing.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Papercut posted:

Does essence affect Chi Casting/Willpower, or is it just mage spells?

It affects all magic equally. For every point of essence you drop below six, you lose a spell slot and gain an increased turn of cooldown on spells.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Khizan posted:

I like the money crunch. I find prioritizing and working with limited resources to be far more interesting than always having enough money to buy the latest thing.

It's a huge money sink for Mages with mixed ability. The Best Advice for Mages is to not buy any 2 or 3 level spells and run around with Blind and like small inexpensive buffing stuff until you get to Spell Casting 8 then purchase the high level spells.

Stuff like Petrify and those spells are kind of useless compared to Blind / Mind Wipe and others so there's no point in the money sink.

I kind of wanna go buff shaman/ rigger just to get a bunch of drones and have a army of 4 drones with Rictor.

Best Combo ever has to be Duncan with the Caddle Prod and Gaichu's ability. Stun / Kill.

Gaichu and Duncan together are amazeballs.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 1, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That Is0bel run. :psyduck:

She's goony as poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There is only one way to play the Isobel mission and that is Her blowing that guys brains out in the elevator

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also I encountered a bug of some sort again.

I come back from a completely unreleated run, and Law is talking about something that didn't happen, but also there's a nameless meat puppet standing next to him that I guess is supposed to replace him but well he's still there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fabricated posted:

That Is0bel run. :psyduck:

She's goony as poo poo.

the ending for the run is pretty funny

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the entire run is funny

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

No, right before meeting the guy on the second visit to the place right after you learn that thing that he was not captured by the Dragon, but is running the operation from that mansion-place thing.

Just wanna finish this game so I can get stuck into an entirely non-magical character in Hong Kong.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fabricated posted:

Also I encountered a bug of some sort again.

I come back from a completely unreleated run, and Law is talking about something that didn't happen, but also there's a nameless meat puppet standing next to him that I guess is supposed to replace him but well he's still there.

yeah the one-time sensitive thing in this game is when you get asked to drop by the teahouse by Strangler; do so. It takes a couple minutes and actually expires after the next run. This is the result: Schroedinger's Law.

it's still bugged, but that's how you avoid it, apparently! I also got the same bug.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TWIST FIST posted:

the entire run is funny

you can also rob all the nerds surfing the matrix.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Gaichus loyalty mission is pretty funny because if you put at least 5 seconds thought into where to stand you will destroy the enemy as soon as they walk through the door.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I loved Gaichu's loyalty mission for that exact reason. Nothing like a good, clean, honest stand-up fight... where you get to cheat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay how are people equiping Rictor with another drone? I messed with my game got a drone and now I can't give it to him :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Remora posted:

I loved Gaichu's loyalty mission for that exact reason. Nothing like a good, clean, honest stand-up fight... where you get to cheat.

You can also kill off one of the squad members before the fight even starts.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

My favorite part of Gaichu's mission is how when you get it you can ask him how he plans on beating his old squad solo and he awkwardly says that he was hoping you would help him.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 1, 2015

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Can someone please point out the most significant etiquettes for Hong Kong - are there any that make a significant difference at crucial points in the game, or are they all nice-to-haves but nothing game changing?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BadAstronaut posted:

Can someone please point out the most significant etiquettes for Hong Kong - are there any that make a significant difference at crucial points in the game, or are they all nice-to-haves but nothing game changing?
The only one I think that gets almost no use is Gang, but it does save you a really obnoxious fight.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Security also doesn't really do anything for you, ever. Academic, Shadowrunner, Socialite and Corporate are the ones coming up frequently.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't think any are game changing. At most they let you avoid combat.

Shadowrunner and Academic see heavy use.
Gang has a little early game, socialite gets a bit of play, and corp is a little useful lategame.

Security comes up but probably isn't worth the points. Never saw street.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Cirofren posted:

Never saw street.

Street doesn't exist anymore, so that's probably why.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Gang is pretty useless. Security is only useful, like, once. Academic, socialite, and shadowrunner seem to be the go-to etiquettes this time around. I would prioritize Socialite first and foremost - it is amazingly handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I mean I'm feeling the money crunch everyone else has been, but I think I mitigated a lot of it (as a mainly decker character) by:
  • Skipping a tier with upgrading my deck. I went from basic to the renraku straight to the fairlight excalibur.
  • Skipping ESPs entirely. Even with my lack of state-of-the-art decks, keeping my intelligence/decking skill cranked meant I've been completely untouchable during the decking I've done so far, and I haven't even been bothering with stealthing the stuff.
  • Skipping armor upgrades. I'm still rocking the 3 armor thing available from Law at the beginning of the game.
  • Grabbing the monofilament whip and making that my dedicated weapon, so I don't have to keep dumping cash to upgrade my gun of choice.
I've got 3 missions (4 if you count Gaichu's personal mission which I assume pays no money) to go before the point of no return and I've along with the whip I've got some cyberware and while I'm dead broke at the moment after buying the fairlight and a bunch of tier 3 programs, 3 missions worth of payouts is all gravy at this point.

That said, I'm also only playing on normal and not hard. The story might be extremely different if that were the case.

• Locked thread