Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Still haven't changed from the default wallpaper that comes with a black Moto G because c'mon, that's classy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

As a guitarist that's a really confusing photograph

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think it's confusing to anyone who has any familiarity with stringed instruments. Mandolin, maybe? But what's with the strap going into the f-hole?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think its just an odd way of attaching the shoulder strap.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe, it's like a highly-figured horn so maybe they're avoiding putting the weight on it. Still weird to have it rubbing on the top like that though.

I feel bad that we're ruining someone's favourite wallpaper with all these practicalities

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

My latest screen.

Set it up using this app. Very customizable, and great if you're a Fallout fan.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Congratulations on copying the worst UI man has ever seen.

I kinda want to do something with those icons and background though, but just use a whole different layout to fallout.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can anyone suggest an icon pack that's similar to Moonshine but more actively maintained?

e: for content, here's my current setup

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 2, 2015

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Some color-changing live wallpaper that comes with my LG (right now is lovely color time), a heavily-modified Zooper widget and Voxel icon pack.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Some color-changing live wallpaper that comes with my LG (right now is lovely color time), a heavily-modified Zooper widget and Voxel icon pack.

Not a fan of that font (not like it matters to you anyway ;)) but I love the overall design look of this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like that the clock widget has a soft light source directly above it but the icons have a hard light source to their upper right.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

why do you have clocks on your home screen

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ilifinicus posted:

why do you have clocks on your home screen

So the time is glanceable without having to focus in on it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Plus he's hiding the status bar.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I can see this being a thing if unlocking your phone does not require a PIN, otherwise your lock screen would have a clock, no?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

I can see this being a thing if unlocking your phone does not require a PIN, otherwise your lock screen would have a clock, no?

At least on stock Lollipop there is always a clock on the lockscreen regardless of security settings as far as I know.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ilifinicus posted:

What if your phone is already unlocked and you didn't check it at the lock screen? Would you rather just turn on the screen and look at it or have to turn on the screen and pull down the notification shade? Like sure, boo to too many clocks, but this isn't one of those times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno about you, but if my phone is unlocked, I'm probably actively doing something with it, not staring at the home screen.

I don't really care, but I get where ilifinicus is coming from.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Who gives a gently caress how many clocks a nigga has? Dang maybe he loves time.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

vyst posted:

Who gives a gently caress how many clocks a nigga has? Dang maybe he loves time.

:laugh:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno about you, but if my phone is unlocked, I'm probably actively doing something with it, not staring at the home screen.

I don't really care, but I get where ilifinicus is coming from.

Some people, like me, have their phone setup so when you unlock it the screen will turn off after like 30 seconds of inactivity but it won't lock again until like 5 minutes have passed so you don't have to keep inputting a pin/swiping a finger/whatever. Other people have their phones setup to just always be unlocked when they're on their home's wifi too. Being unlocked doesn't necessarily mean the screen is on which is why I mentioned turning on the screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

vyst posted:

This should be in the thread title somehow.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ilifinicus posted:

a clock widget is a convenient shortcut to whatever app you use for your alarm clock, + it's a lot simpler to see the time on something that spans 2x3 squares on the homepage rather than a tiny number at the top of the screen if the phone's unlocked.

this owns

ulvir fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 3, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I'd actually like to see that go from :59 to :00 just once, I'm easily entertained.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I decided to try out LINE Launcher, but it ended up being really laggy and didn't have the customization options that Nova Launcher does, so, ironically, my LINE Deco widgets looked better in Nova. It had stickers, but I did not consider those to be a killer feature worth giving up all my other crap. But it did inspire me to update and change things up.

To be more specific than last time, my new icon pack is "MeowMeow", new battery indicator is "My Little Siamese", new clock is "Kitty Cat Cat", and calendar is "Merci Neko". Most of which you can find just by searching 'Gemma' in the LINE Deco app, if you want to look like a crazy cat person. I'd link, but there's no web interface; you can only navigate through the app.

In my old setup I was using the "Shining Stars" icon pack, "The Earth" for my clock, and "I Need Water" for my battery. :3: If you aren't familiar with LINE Deco, it isn't really an easy 'apply a theme to everything' app; it can just put custom shortcuts on the home screen, so you have to assign icons to apps manually. It includes widgets, but all the cute ones cost 'coins', which I usually get with Googlebux. It's a pain, but I think the end result is cute, and I can continue to use Glasklart in my app drawer.

That Android '95 setup is amaaaazing

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone know a parallax wallpaper making app that works with Nexus 6? I wanna turn my phone into an iDroid

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

New LG G4, looks a little bit normal and PLEBIAN I suppose, but in a way I sort of like that after making my homescreen look the exact same as everybody else's who uses Nova Launcher for so long. First phone I haven't immediately felt the need to go and install Nova/Apex over, including Moto/Nexus phones, so I'm running with it for now.

It helps that changing icons is actually a feature of LG's default launcher. And if you use a custom launcher you lose Knock Off, too.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

It's dumb as hell but I love it. :3: When I charge my phone it rains! I just use LINE Deco for everything because I am secretly 12.

I love this, where can I find it/what launcher are you using?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

The rear end Stooge posted:

I love this, where can I find it/what launcher are you using?

LINE Deco works with every launcher, as far as I'm aware; I'm pretty sure it creates the icon shortcuts on whatever launcher is set as your default, but don't quote me on that. For all I know I have twenty extra icons sitting on TouchWiz.

Essentially, it lets you create custom shortcuts to apps on your homescreen, and also comes with three widgets (clock, battery, and calendar). They look pretty boring by default, but you can pay coins to apply themes to them (I clarified which ones I was using there a few posts up, but there aren't so many themes that I think they'd be hard to find).

In theory the exchange rate of real money to coins is $2 = 100 coins, with most items costing 100 coins. Buuuut I never actually do that, I just use their 'free coins' thing and download a bunch of games that I delete five minutes later. v:v:v So that setup right there, not including a calendar, was 300 coins (actually 250 because I got in on a sale). Which probably seems like a lot of trouble to go through, but I like changing things up a lot and I have yet to find another widget app that I like even half as much. Widget themes are rarely free, but there are quite a few free icon packs that you can mess with.

I personally find it works really well with Nova Launcher, but probably any launcher that lets you snap widgets and icons to a subgrid would work fine. Otherwise getting things aligned to the wallpaper is a pain. I turn off wallpaper scrolling for the same reason.

They also just released a new launcher, which might be easier in terms of changing all your icons at once, but I found it to run terribly and not look as good as doing it the hard way. I'm really picky, though.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I picked up the materialistic icon pack last night and those are some nice looking icons. If anyone is looking for that sort of look.

Edit- As an aside does anyone have any nice materiel design wallpapers? I am digging that color palette but I am having trouble finding something that isn't just boring shapes.

I did find this which is what I am currently using.

Current look

Teaches of Peaches fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 8, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone have some good comprehensive icon sets which work well with icons it doesn't have? Most of the more stylised ones just fail.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

MikeJF posted:

Anyone have some good comprehensive icon sets which work well with icons it doesn't have? Most of the more stylised ones just fail.

I have seen some that try to normalize the differences, which would make them the same size or have some type of background but the best you can do is just find a icon pack you like that has most of the apps you like. If you have a really stylized look you might could request certain icons or attempt to create your own.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Nova launcher, Rondo icon pack

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I can't see the amazing frog from the awful app but I see the reddit one on your screen you monster!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Flame away jerks!

Moto XP 2015
Apex Launcher
Retrorika Icon Pack

....and the calculator app really ties the screen together, man - so don't even. :colbert:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 19, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Guillermus posted:

I can't see the amazing frog from the awful app but I see the reddit one on your screen you monster!

I use Something, which is the speech bubble icon next to Skype. I couldn't find a grenade icon in Rondo.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I really need a materialistik/retrorika/Material icon for Awful/Something

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Gilok posted:

I really need a materialistik/retrorika/Material icon for Awful/Something

Same. I've been looking at the Material Guidelines and keep considering making one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you've got the skills you should totally contribute one and win the adoration of thousands of goons

I don't know about the original vector file but there's definitely a hi-res frog to work from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I really dig Materialistik but the icons look really jagged on my screen in Nova. Are there any other launchers you guys would recommend that do better anti-aliasing when downscaling icons?

• Locked thread