Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henkman
Oct 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Mir is the best.

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
thats pretty cool.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Even if I still think Arlovski will win

gimpsuitjones posted:

Frank Mir owns

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This is one of those really sad fights I want to see but I'll be really sad no matter what. The Tim Sylvia arm break and Arvloski/Fat man fights were part of what made me go hardcore into MMA. I adore these men and want them both to win.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
the first emergent MMA comedy duo

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i always look forward to mir fights, there's always a chance to see some really cool poo poo

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Duffy dislocating his own arm to throw a punch was pretty cool

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Mir has had 27 fights and only 2 of them have been boring. He got hit by a truck the same as Nog, came back, beat Nog, and has done better than Fedor against all their common opponents. He belongs in the hall of fame on the first ballot, and the only reason he doesn't get more credit for his career than he does is because he is so relentlessly ridiculous as a person.

Young Pageviews
May 26, 2014

Let's get this wrestling!
I've never been into comics and I am only a casual MMA fan, but the OP ruled pretty hard.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Le Saboteur posted:

Frank Mir is just a cool dad trying to win fights so his hot wife doesn't emasculate him.

This sounds jokey but it's probably exactly what's going down

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Mir has had 27 fights and only 2 of them have been boring. He got hit by a truck the same as Nog, came back, beat Nog, and has done better than Fedor against all their common opponents. He belongs in the hall of fame on the first ballot, and the only reason he doesn't get more credit for his career than he does is because he is so relentlessly ridiculous as a person.

i think he'll absolutely end up getting the credit he deserves but i honestly think one of the things that's held him back in terms of opportunities with zuffa is that he seems to butt heads with dana a bit even though dana clearly respects him as a fighter

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

I almost ate a bullet at the Cormier fight.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i think he'll absolutely end up getting the credit he deserves but i honestly think one of the things that's held him back in terms of opportunities with zuffa is that he seems to butt heads with dana a bit even though dana clearly respects him as a fighter

I had no idea he has any issues with Dana considering he's a fairly well paid heavyweight making like 200k per fight at this point.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

-Atom- posted:

Please go and watch Mir-Mirko (Mir KO).

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

-Atom- posted:

dont give up

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

fatherdog posted:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

all my serbian friends tell me mir is a good fighter and a good man

only the serbs though

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Le Saboteur posted:

I had no idea he has any issues with Dana considering he's a fairly well paid heavyweight making like 200k per fight at this point.

Tito Ortiz got paid like twice that and those two flat out despise each other. Randy Couture also made great money while fighting for UFC and they had a worse relationship too.

What dunc was getting at were the times when Mir made UFC look bad, like when he made public psychotic murder threats toward Brock Lesnar long before Jon Jones ever did it to Daniel Cormier and was at a time when UFC was reaching an apex in popularity. Dana White was also very displeased with Mir's performances against Cro Cop and Nelson. Guess which fight this one is referencing: “It was a sloppy heavyweight fight,” White said. “I’m not happy about the performance from either one of them. I thought it was borderline embarrassing.” And I think Dana has recently been annoyed with Mir when he refused to retire and alluded to fighting with another organization (BELLATOR) if UFC wasn't going to let him fight again. But then Mir knocked out two heavyweights and both sides are happy with each other again.

Anyways Frank Mir is the best and I hope that UFC does sign Fedor so they can get Mir to fight him and possibly Werdum before he retires. You might be saying "that's like way too dangerous for the skull of Frank Mir" and I agree but Mir is so close to basically having fought everybody in his long UFC career. You would have two possibly three generations of Pride/UFC heavyweights on his record. That would make him THE hall of famer regardless how he wins/loses those fights. Which I think would be cool.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doesn't Mir have the most UFC fights out of all actifve UFC fighters? That's pretty impressive, too, considering the amount of damage he has taken over the years.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CommonShore posted:

Doesn't Mir have the most UFC fights out of all actifve UFC fighters? That's pretty impressive, too, considering the amount of damage he has taken over the years.

I don't think so, but he is the winningest ufc heavyweight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Maybe for a heavyweight, but I imagine Cerrone already has more UFC/WEC fights.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I never expected to say that arlovski/mir is a cool fight (after 2006)

Cool

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
It's not going to be cool for Frank Mir

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

Her ground and pound is real bad.

Yeah but it's way better than Johnny Hendrick's and Mendes'.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Mendes' ground and pound isn't the worst. He hit Conor hard a few times. Hendricks' however is the worst.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Decades posted:

Mendes' ground and pound isn't the worst. He hit Conor hard a few times. Hendricks' however is the worst.

when hendricks gets you down all he sees is steak on a plate and gets confused.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

fatherdog posted:

and the only reason he doesn't get more credit for his career than he does is because he is so relentlessly ridiculous as a person

I agree 100% with your premise but feel you cannot count out the stain on one's career that is getting hosed up by Brandon Vera

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress. Just realized I've bet money on an Australian.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Whoever described Mir as simultaneously the most and least self aware fighter was dead on the money.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Was the Riggs fight scrapped?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Wow, there is no one there at all for the first fight...

Silva's got some chin on him.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 6, 2015

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Now I've got to add "made me root for Joe Riggs in 2015" to the long list of Lloyd Irvin's terrible crimes.

e: to be fair, unironically walking out to Whitesnake would have made me root for him anyway.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Hell yeah, Whitesnake!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
let's go with bad decisions as the main derailer of the diesel joe riggs, man who shot himself cleaning a pistol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

These two human beings are the same age.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

These two human beings are the same age.

Stallings could pass for 25. Riggs could pass for the Crypt Keeper.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Joe Riggs has some pretty nasty ground and pound. The sound of it was gross.

Sucks it ended that way.

shouldnt that be a DQ though?

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
That's unfortunate for Riggs

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
that's the shittiest ending I've seen to a fight in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Joe Riggs: Fightmaster

• Locked thread