Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find it odd that homophobia is only being brought up now, especially considering the Site's history with Karen Traviss. She had a gay Mandalorian couple in her books, but nobody batted an eye. They were too busy disliking them for her Jedi Fascism stance and her toxic relationship with the fanbase. Which is why I think this whole Chuck Wendig thing is getting overblown. Perhaps people just think your book is poo poo? Not because you have gay characters in it? There's certainly going to be a few homophobic reviews, but to label everyone hating on Aftermath a bigot is kinda ridiculous.

Especially because there were already space lesbians in Lords of the Sith that came out a few months ago and no one got upset then, even though that got pushed so hard in marketing and reviews I'd assume that homophobes would have had a lot more notice to jump on it.

I do remember when Traviss had the gay Mandalorians at least one person on TFN flipped out, but he was actually one of the pro-Traviss people. I think the fact that when it came to Traviss, the fact that the super far right people were her strongest fans when she had the gay character to appear defused it somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Checked this out because I'd never heard of it, and it's really a shame. Jerjerrod and Veers are cool, but they're the only imperial characters in the OT who aren't comic-book evil. I wonder how different Jedi would have been if they'd had a Tarkin-esque strong Imperial character who wasn't Palpatine or Vader. I also checked out this compilation of cut Rebel extras;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHnhxHMJcJ4

Some of the rebel pilots have really terrible line readings, but I wish they'd been able to keep at least a few seconds of the Falcon crew, just to make the ship feel a bit more populated during the battle.

That's Jim freaking Henson doing the puppeteering of that Mon Calamari.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been meaning to replay Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy since I re-downloaded them on Steam recently. Haven't found the time. So instead, I'm watching the "Jedi Outcast / Academy Re-Edited" videos. :v:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jim the Nickel posted:

That's Jim freaking Henson doing the puppeteering of that Mon Calamari.
Dude made him sound like Kermit with a cold.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Right now there's this whole kerfuffle over the Bring Back Legends facebook group allegedly harassing people at DragonCon and derailing panels. Apparently asking Timothy Zahn how he felt about someone else writing Mara's death is considered being hostile. One person has gone so far as to label people hating on Chuck Wendigs new book Sad Banthas, as if comparisons to the Hugo Awards fuckup this year are applicable to loving Star Wars books.

Sad Banthas. I suddenly feel so very, very tired.

Those ROTJ cutscenes were wonderful. I didn't understand why the man was reading lines to the actress, though. Wouldn't she be vaguely familiar with the scene? It was like she was hearing these lines for the first time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Robot Wendigo posted:

Those ROTJ cutscenes were wonderful. I didn't understand why the man was reading lines to the actress, though. Wouldn't she be vaguely familiar with the scene? It was like she was hearing these lines for the first time.

It looked to me like they were just getting a large variety of generic quotes that they could use for a two-second cutaway line by some rando pilot when editing the battle together in post-production. Why would those actors need a full script at all? Their entire character and motivation consists of "You saw Star Wars, right? Remember the part with the fighter pilots? Yeah, you're doing that." Why NOT just prompt them with the lines, one by one?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

SirPhoebos posted:

Well it's not like they ever found his body.

gently caress, I wouldn't put it past Disney for Sheev to pop up in Episode 9 (and not because of David Bowie clones)

According to a throwaway scene in Aftermath, the Empire (at least for a short while) used an actor to stand in for Palpatine after his death in order to claim he survived.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm a couple hours into the Aftermath audibook now.

The teenage kid is really kind of annoying. The ex-Imperial guy is kind of cool, though. The book isn't really written much like a book at all, but more like a script, so it actually DOES work better as an audio drama. I wonder if this guy has more of a screenwriting background, because it sure feels like it. Is he in JJ's stable?

It really is kind of an odd book, though. It has two seemingly unrelated plots going on at once, and little short stories with unrelated characters randomly thrown into it.

Also I finished season 1 of Star Wars Rebels and watched the between seasons special and it's starting to get good. Vader, Tarkin and Ashoka all show up, and now the gang is in with an actual group of Rebels. My main complaint with Rebels is its' seemingly low budget compared to the Clone Wars. Many characters never get their faces shown and where Vader is talking to the Emperor, you can't even see him, implying that they didn't make a 3D model for him in time. Hopefully as time goes on, they can put more money into the show so it doesn't feel so limited.

To be fair to Rebels, Lucas paid out of his own pocket for a lot of the animation for clone wars. Rebels still looks great for its budget; some shots look fantastic.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently watched the deleted scenes from the OT on YouTube, which I have not seen before...I also enjoy the one from ROTJ where Jerjerrod is on the Death Star's bridge when the Emperor commands him to fire at Endor if the shield generator gets knocked out.

I really like this one, too. Just having this one little moment of human concern goes a hell of a long way to making some of the baddies feel like fleshed-out characters. You can see why it was cut out--the final scenes of Jedi are already cutting between like four different storylines, and it would have been kind of silly to drag the Endor party back into danger--but it would have been nice if they could find a place for bits of it elsewhere.

Powered Descent posted:

It looked to me like they were just getting a large variety of generic quotes that they could use for a two-second cutaway line by some rando pilot when editing the battle together in post-production. Why would those actors need a full script at all? Their entire character and motivation consists of "You saw Star Wars, right? Remember the part with the fighter pilots? Yeah, you're doing that." Why NOT just prompt them with the lines, one by one?

Some of those quotes definitely sound familiar to me, so I'm sure that's exactly what they were doing. They just picked the best five or so guys and one of them became a significant EU character.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Rebels honestly seems better animated to me? They don't have as large a variety of characters and environments and such, but the characters feel a lot less wooden than in The Clone Wars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nah, the animation in Clone Wars was much more subtle and natural. The Rebels characters look and move like action figures. It's not a bad thing, it kinda works with the McQuarrie/Kenner mini-rigs thing they have going. It's just different, and the effect is only visual. The Rebels story is still pretty strong, considering.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I mentioned previously, I don't have a problem with how the characters look in Rebels... except for Ezra, because he looks like he's made of Lego.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Oh, sure. That does make sense, both in terms of time and money. My impression was that this woman was a full fledged character that we'd meet in the Battle of Endor, someone like Nien Nunb, and she was cut because she was so unconvincing. Your impression makes much more sense.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, the animation in Clone Wars was much more subtle and natural. The Rebels characters look and move like action figures. It's not a bad thing, it kinda works with the McQuarrie/Kenner mini-rigs thing they have going. It's just different, and the effect is only visual. The Rebels story is still pretty strong, considering.

It's mostly the faces... The Clone Wars' faces are just kind of stiff and boring to me? Eh. I guess it's more a strengths-and-weaknesses thing, which makes preferring one or the other completely reasonable either way.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Rebels is definitely headed in the right direction, I just hope as the series goes on they get some more money so we can see more environments and characters and it doesn't feel as constrained.

Then again, sometimes constraints can be a good thing...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing as I'm on a bit of a Star Wars kick at the moment, I'm a bit curious about re-reading the Thrawn trilogy for old times' sake, but I gave all my Star Wars books away a few years ago. I'm looking on various online stores, and for some reason it doesn't look as though there's been a reprint of "The Last Command" with the gold "Legends" stripe across the top of the cover. What gives?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seeing as I'm on a bit of a Star Wars kick at the moment, I'm a bit curious about re-reading the Thrawn trilogy for old times' sake, but I gave all my Star Wars books away a few years ago. I'm looking on various online stores, and for some reason it doesn't look as though there's been a reprint of "The Last Command" with the gold "Legends" stripe across the top of the cover. What gives?

I know there has been; I've seen the whole trilogy at Barnes and Noble and I'm 99% sure they all had the Legends banner. In any case, all three books are legends; I'm guessing not all the retailers have updated their images for every single old book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose not. I've only seen the first one in a bookshop, myself.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I was in a B&N 10 minutes ago. They've definitely all got the Legends banner.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Consider the annotated 20th Anniversary edition of Heir to the Empire if you can find a copy easily. It's available on Kindle if that's what you want.

It's a neat look at the early EU ideas. It's a damned shame we didn't get annotated versions of the other two.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Somebody who uses Facebook should ask Zahn if he'd consider making annotations for the other two books, and maybe Hand of Thrawn Trilogy available online.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Picked up Aftermath this afternoon at Indigo. For any Canadian goons out there, it's marked down 40%.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm always curious about odd early EU stuff that never came to pass (e.g. Alien Exodus, the Dark Horse invasion storyline, the evil scientist dude from an RPG campaign guide who was meant to be the mastermind behind the Clone Wars); is there anywhere online I can read about that sort of thing?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm always curious about odd early EU stuff that never came to pass (e.g. Alien Exodus, the Dark Horse invasion storyline, the evil scientist dude from an RPG campaign guide who was meant to be the mastermind behind the Clone Wars); is there anywhere online I can read about that sort of thing?

Honestly, as much as I can poo poo on that site, Wookieepedia probably has the best information on them. Though the Dark Horse proto-NJO article is probably the best since it actually draws from several sources, whereas the other two are basically just "this is what was proposed and it didn't happen".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Unfortunately it's mostly cobbled together information. You don't really get too deep without an author or publisher talking out of turn.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't sure about Wookieepedia. I reckoned that sort of thing would all be in the "behind the scenes" sections across a disparate array of pages rather than all kept in one place, and I wouldn't know where to start looking. Do they have a category for abandoned ideas?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wasn't sure about Wookieepedia. I reckoned that sort of thing would all be in the "behind the scenes" sections across a disparate array of pages rather than all kept in one place, and I wouldn't know where to start looking. Do they have a category for abandoned ideas?
They've got Cancelled novels, and cancelled games.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. Seems as good a place as any to start.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Not sure how much I like the Alien Exodus idea. I think its cool exploring the ancient history of Star Wars but I definitely don't want connections to earth and our world being made. For me Star Wars is another universe not connected to ours in any way.

I saw Lost Stars at the bookstore today. I got the impression the book is going for the twilight demographic for some reason.

Antequek
May 30, 2014
I've read the thrawn trilogy, truce at bakura and shadows of the empire over the last few months and I wanna go though a few more books before I (mostly) abandon legends. Not that I think Legends books aren't longer valid because they are no longer canon but I simply don't want to be mixing up my timelines after a certain point.

When it comes to planned reading I plan to read next I would like some input for you guys.

Dark Empire 1,2 / dark force rising
X-wing Books (maybe)
Jedi Academy Trilogy (Maybe)
Spector of the Past/Visions of the Future

Is the Jedi Academy Trilogy Worth while in terms of both context it provides and quality (I know a lot of you don't like KJA). I am honestly considering only reading the Thrawn duology, Would I be missing any Important story beats that took place between that and the Thrawn Trilogy?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would say X-Wing and the Thrawn duology are the essential ones out of that list.

If you could put up with The Truce At Bakura, you might like to try The New Rebellion (or, alternatively, playing Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, because they're more or less the same story :v:), which isn't well-liked but is nevertheless one that I personally enjoyed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Antequek posted:

I've read the thrawn trilogy, truce at bakura and shadows of the empire over the last few months and I wanna go though a few more books before I (mostly) abandon legends. Not that I think Legends books aren't longer valid because they are no longer canon but I simply don't want to be mixing up my timelines after a certain point.

When it comes to planned reading I plan to read next I would like some input for you guys.

Dark Empire 1,2 / dark force rising
X-wing Books (maybe)
Jedi Academy Trilogy (Maybe)
Spector of the Past/Visions of the Future

Is the Jedi Academy Trilogy Worth while in terms of both context it provides and quality (I know a lot of you don't like KJA). I am honestly considering only reading the Thrawn duology, Would I be missing any Important story beats that took place between that and the Thrawn Trilogy?

You absolutely must read at least books 5-7 and 9 of the X-Wing series, the ones by Allston rather than Stackpole. Stackpole's books are still some of the better EU books, but Allston's stuff is essential.

I would read X-Wing 1-4 and then I, Jedi rather than the Jedi Academy series, for two reasons. First, they're far less dense and are overall better books. Second, I, Jedi is a much, much shorter retelling and retconning of the actually important part of the Jedi Academy series, which is the founding of Luke's academy. X-Wing 1-4 isn't required but since I, Jedi is the conclusion of Corran Horn's story and you were considering reading them anyway you might want to read them first.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 14, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In retrospect, it's a bit disappointing that such an important part of the EU (Luke restarting the Jedi Order) ended up taking place in the Jedi Academy trilogy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

In retrospect, it's a bit disappointing that such an important part of the EU (Luke restarting the Jedi Order) ended up taking place in the Jedi Academy trilogy.

Retrospect nothing, it was disappointing then, too. That's why I liked I, Jedi so much, because it made that whole era a little easier to swallow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can imagine - obviously I didn't get reading it myself until it had been out a good few years. I actually remember when I got those books - it's one of those odd things one recalls despite how trivial it is. I was on holiday in either America or Canada (whichever one had Waldenbooks, because that's where I got them) and my dad got me the boxed set, and when he was paying for them, the man at the register gushed about how they were his all-time favourite EU novels.

(A lot of my enduring affection for terrible EU novels derives from the feelings of nostalgia they evoke - I got most of the Bantam ones on family summer holidays between the ages of 12 and 14; a simpler time. :shobon:)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much as they are mediocre, books, I do have to profess my love for the Jedi Academy trilogy in all its stupid moronic glory. Admiral Daala's batshit schemes, adventures to the Coruscant undercity fighting ogres and granite slugs, and the Umgullian Blob Race. Oh, and the talking Molluscs and Wild Wild West Turantula walkers.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 14, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
As a kid, I have the Thrawn books, the Jedi Academy trilogy and the New Rebellion on tape.

Even as a 10 year old, I thought the Jedi Academy books were really dumb.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh they're downright idiotic half the time, but I still like them as dumb stupid fun. Let's beat Exar Kun with the power of friendship!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were those books out before, after or at the same time as the TOTJ comics that actually explained what Exar Kun's entire deal was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were those books out before, after or at the same time as the TOTJ comics that actually explained what Exar Kun's entire deal was?

IIRC before. I wanna say the Jedi Academy trilogy (and parts of Dark Empire) spawned the TOTJ comics.