Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

HOLY. MOTHER. OF. GOD.

I programmed better games than that on my Atari 400 back in the 80s, when I was twelve or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Ghostwoods posted:

HOLY. MOTHER. OF. GOD.

I programmed better games than that on my Atari 400 back in the 80s, when I was twelve or something.

Holy hyperbole batman.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
I'd really like to show off the vast horribleness that is Abyss: The Wrath of Eden, but would like someone to co-commentate, so I figured i'd ask here. It's a wild game, full of absurd puzzles and bad 3D modelling and animation.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Killrrhubarb posted:

I'd really like to show off the vast horribleness that is Abyss: The Wrath of Eden, but would like someone to co-commentate, so I figured i'd ask here. It's a wild game, full of absurd puzzles and bad 3D modelling and animation.

Argh, horribly conflicted here. I mean, I'd be up for co-commentating, but I'm possibly not the dude you want. :/

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Killrrhubarb posted:

Depending on schedule I'd be up for it.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Alright, I need a co-commentator or two for this goddamn mess of a game.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

Angrymog posted:

Depending on schedule I'd be up for it.

Brilliant, that would be fantastic. Just add me on Skype - same as my username on here, and we'll figure a time out.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cheez posted:

Holy hyperbole batman.

is it still a hyperbole if it's true?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness part 2, featuring Ceciltron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0CPf8fd6Do

People said the game didn't look that bad so I prove them wrong in this video

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Nebiros posted:

Ehh, sure depending on the recording times. Skype name same as here.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Why did she sleep on the floor of the train car and not the seats?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Bad Game Stream #3 - Amazon Trail

Rapping jaguars and fever dreams ahoy!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

is it still a hyperbole if it's true?

Except it's not true, because among other things, it isn't even supposed to be a game.

Take away the graphics and sound and what do you have? Another typing tutor program. The Mario theming doesn't make it a game, and there are no win or lose conditions. It's all just set up to encourage kids to get into it and disguise the "working" aspect.

Mavis Beacon, on the other hand, did have some actual game modes to it...

Faerie Fortune posted:

I've got the Windows version of this. It's a bit better, but not much... It's more playable, I guess? The interface is just as confusing, though.

Cheez fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 14, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Faerie Fortune posted:

Ah, the good old days when reading a game's manual really meant you'd get a better idea of how to play... in-game tutorials are better than that especially with digital distribution but I liked this game as a kid even though I never beat it. As I recall it's mostly a slog partly thanks to those fricking whirlpools if you're already over the hump of the interface and graphics (it came out in 1994 to be fair) which is why it's still not great, but I liked it all the same for the different collectathon things in it adding to the Oregon Trail style even though apparently all you got for filling out your photo journals was a nicer looking shield in your honor. None of that forgives how hard it is on the eyes nowadays especially when you don't know anything about it going in, but oh well.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Hoss Corncave posted:

Of all the questions, this one bothered me the most.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cheez posted:

Except it's not true, because among other things, it isn't even supposed to be a game.

Take away the graphics and sound and what do you have? Another typing tutor program. The Mario theming doesn't make it a game, and there are no win or lose conditions. It's all just set up to encourage kids to get into it and disguise the "working" aspect.

Mavis Beacon, on the other hand, did have some actual game modes to it...

I was poking fun at the fact that for all we know, Ghostwoods really did program better games in the 80s.

I'll go with this though: a game doesn't need win/lose conditions to be a game. If so, I reject such a definition of "game". Mario Teaches Typing is a game, and a fun one at that. I derived entertainment from it. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hoss Corncave posted:

Hell if I know. Maybe it's a British thing.

I can now say that I have played the Tomb Raider FMV game and it's literally just fraps footage of Angel of Darkness, and sometimes you have to press the up button. Incredible.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

corn in the bible posted:

That part where you slid off the roof, tho--

I couldn't stop laughing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

That part where you slid off the roof, tho--

I couldn't stop laughing.

Haha, yeah. I was originally going to cut out all the deaths like I usually do, but when that happened I realized it would be a waste

sorry about the sound mixing, though, I don't actually do a lot of video editing

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My skype is also the same as my username here if anyone wants a british co-commentator

Add a touch of class to your LP of terrible games.

I can also do bad David Attenborough impersonations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the only part of the sound mixing that bothered me is that someone's mic was picking up their mouse clicking and clicking and clicking and clicking and it was kind of annoying.

But yeah, this vid definitely makes this game look more like poo poo.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I was poking fun at the fact that for all we know, Ghostwoods really did program better games in the 80s.

I'll go with this though: a game doesn't need win/lose conditions to be a game. If so, I reject such a definition of "game". Mario Teaches Typing is a game, and a fun one at that. I derived entertainment from it. :colbert:

Suit yourself, but it really is just a typical typing tutor program with some extra visuals slapped on.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cheez posted:

Suit yourself, but it really is just a typical typing tutor program with some extra visuals slapped on.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's only one good typing tutor and that is Typing of the Dead. :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Great Joe posted:

There's only one good typing tutor and that is Typing of the Dead. :colbert:

:overkill

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Episode 2

In this episode I show off how easy it is to modify this game. It's very easy.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 15, 2015

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Nebiros posted:

Interested over here, Skype name EponymousKid.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cowman posted:

Episode 2

Oh yeah, this is such a massive improvement, thanks! And your choice of music is sublime.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Someone posted a comment on my GT2 video.

Kill me.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Bad Games Stream #4 - 1993tris

why do we have a gun I don't understand

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Cowman posted:

Episode 2

I understand that there's probably a story reason for having two characters with different skill sets, but gameplaywise it doesn't really change anything. It seems like something that could have been used for interesting gameplay mechanics if done right, but nothing would have changed if it had been one character doing both the jumping and the shooting. I'm probably overthinking, but I find it really annoying that there's two main sprites in the game and they don't utilize it in the gameplay in any way whatsoever.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

kjetting posted:

I understand that there's probably a story reason for having two characters with different skill sets, but gameplaywise it doesn't really change anything. It seems like something that could have been used for interesting gameplay mechanics if done right, but nothing would have changed if it had been one character doing both the jumping and the shooting. I'm probably overthinking, but I find it really annoying that there's two main sprites in the game and they don't utilize it in the gameplay in any way whatsoever.

The story reason for why the character that does the shooting doesn't have to worry about getting hurt is literally "Even robots know not to shoot a girl". Is it wrong if that bothers me more than the gameplay idiocy from having two characters and doing nothing with that?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
No, it makes it even worse that the story reasoning is so bad.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

kjetting posted:

Hey thanks, you helped me pin down what this game was reminding me of. Rayman. This game is lovely Rayman. Everything this game has done the Rayman series has done a thousand times better.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

It's like Deviantart vomited all over Rayman.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

kjetting posted:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The story reason for why the character that does the shooting doesn't have to worry about getting hurt is literally "Even robots know not to shoot a girl". Is it wrong if that bothers me more than the gameplay idiocy from having two characters and doing nothing with that?

This is why I hate Rose, the floating turret. She adds nothing to it and is just another sprite on the screen making GBS threads things up. The whole game is really busy visually and it doesn't help that there is very little variation in the sprites. Monsters are all variations of grey, except for that Destructoid bot, all the platforms and stuff are mostly slight variations of a dark green or grey color.

Then there's the whole issue with there being foreground objects. It's completely unnecessary and only serves to make the already poorly designed and difficult levels even harder by blocking necessary platforms and your character at times.

It's sad because I actually kind of like the art style when it's not in motion. The backgrounds are actually kinda nice and the enemies are an interesting design until you realize that all the enemies are in the first level (including the final boss hanging out in the background) and they get really uninteresting very fast.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I am posting a call for people who might be interest in commenting of Seven Samurai 20XX. I need at least one more person for my group and will probably have seven people total for one of the final videos.

Skype and Audacity need.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

mateo360 posted:

I am posting a call for people who might be interest in commenting of Seven Samurai 20XX. I need at least one more person for my group and will probably have seven people total for one of the final videos.

Skype and Audacity need.

I'm up for it depending on the times you're recording. Gets my mind off of my game :suicide:

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I have a lot of free time so if it doesn't conflict with the commitment I made to Nebiros in re:Pound of Ground I'd also be into doing Seven Samurai 20XX. Get me on Skype, as stated previous the name's EponymousKid

EDIT: ^haha that's a fun coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
If I can find the time I would like to join. I don't have PM so you'll have to reach me through e-mail. It's wwpacifist@gmail.com

• Locked thread