Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
C: While they probably know where we live, it's best not to lead them directly there if they follow.

As an additional benefit, it'll be much harder for them to try anything in a protest full of sympathetic mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tran posted:

C: While they probably know where we live, it's best not to lead them directly there if they follow.

As an additional benefit, it'll be much harder for them to try anything in a protest full of sympathetic mutants.

Ditto

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
C sounds good.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Deciding to trust in the tracker, and Intercept, you stay scrunched down until they drive away. You have plenty of time to catch up with them later, and if you hurry you will only miss the first part of the rally. You shoot a text to Eel and he tells you that everything is going well. Some local leaders are talking on the stage, and there’s a visible LAPD presence, but everything is calm and orderly.

You close out your messenger on your phone and it flips to your most recent pictures. Why did you take a picture of these people? You almost delete the pictures, but something stops you. You must have had a reason...were they connected to the SUV somehow?

“Intercept,” you say, pulling out into the road and heading for the freeway. “Did I… send you some pictures?”

”Sure thing. I’m running them through facial recognition now, but it’s going to take a while.” He pauses, perhaps hearing the uncertainty in your voice. ”Why?”

You feel strange. “I don’t remember seeing them. The people. They were the SUV drivers, right?”

”That’s what you told me?”

Keep going to the rally?
A. Yes
B. No

1. Time to freak out now!
2. Stay calm, even though this is upsetting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
2. Now we know what the shadow was. Mutant with memory cloaking. Also effects video. Something to keep in mind.

The power probably doesn't extend to photos. And therefore now that we've seen the photo we should remember them.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

2. Now we know what the shadow was. Mutant with memory cloaking. Also effects video. Something to keep in mind.

The power probably doesn't extend to photos. And therefore now that we've seen the photo we should remember them.

That's an interesting theory!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hah. You're just pissed I figured it out so quick. Or I'm horribly wrong and we're horribly boned.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Hah. You're just pissed I figured it out so quick. Or I'm horribly wrong and we're horribly boned.

:wiggle:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Adrenaline boosts memory retention and also boosts our mutant ability.

Rail one of our shots and 2. Keep Calm

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
A2.
Creepy.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

A2.

We're a zombie, we don't get spooked that easily. Besides, there's that telltale sign of an "uneasy feeling" that'll tip us off next time.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Adrenaline boosts memory retention and also boosts our mutant ability.

Rail one of our shots and 2. Keep Calm

So...you want to inject pure adrenaline and...stay calm at the same time? :cheeky:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

hollylolly posted:

So...you want to inject pure adrenaline and...stay calm at the same time? :cheeky:

Its our mutant superpower :colbert:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hollylolly posted:

Just recreationally.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

hollylolly posted:

Ride that knife edge of fear and panic.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Won't ramping up adrenaline now mean that we'll be crashing later, when we might actually need it? Didn't we just finish giving Vigilante the Don't Do Drugs talk?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
A1
Freak out!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Man, I missed a bunch on vacation.

A2

But let Intercept know what we suspect.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Meanwhile…

Ginny Hayes, aka Vigilante, crouched on the roof of the nearly abandoned strip mall that the 15th Street Locos have made their home. It was nearly noon, the sun was beating down on her, and she was baking even though she isn’t wearing her usual motorcycle leathers. If she closed her eyes she could almost imagine she was back in Iraq, before her honorable discharge.

Honorable. Yeah, right. That’s what they called it when you were drummed out of the Army and they didn’t want to write down it was because you were a mutant. Which still didn’t make sense, because you would think the Army would want all the teleporting soldiers they could get their hands on, but it had been five years. A lot had changed since then. Teleporting soldiers with PTSD and night terrors wasn’t a good combination, even she ultimately had to accept that.

Ginny opened her eyes before the memory of the IED started replaying, and blinked a few times, returning her attention to her surroundings. There had been no weird shadows, though she’d seen plenty of gang members and old men. The old men were at the barber shop on the far corner of the L-shaped strip mall, and the Locos mainly used the back entrance to the former Ralphs they’d set up shop in. It was possible the “shadow” they’d seen was some sort of weird artifact, or maybe a mutant who could make themselves disappear on camera?

She heard some shouting, and quickly ‘ported to the other side of the roof, bellying up to the edge and peeking over. Eightball was out front, screaming at a skinny Latina. “Don’t come here again! Go home, bitch! There’s no freebies here!” She was scratching her arm, hair unkempt and in her face. Vigilante’s skin crawled, and she found her hand reaching back for an arrow that wasn’t there. Strictly recon. No weapons.

If it were up to her she’d clean the streets of every last one of these assholes, like she’d started in New York. When you start offing all the Russian mobsters in New York City, however, the heat gets turned way, way up and you have to leave town. Vigilante edged back, and then ‘ported her way to a roof behind the mall where she could have a clearer view of what was going on.

Old, broken pallets were stacked up haphazardly near the entrance, probably for additional cover to hide the gang’s activities. Vigilante squinted at them, double-taking when the shadows began to move behind the pile. At first she thought there was a man there that she just hadn’t seen, and then it was obvious there was no one there. The shape that ‘stepped’ out was manlike, but stretched. It didn’t lie on the ground like a real shadow, but was three dimensional. After a moment it streamed into a ribbon and disappeared under the back door and into the Locos’ headquarters.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
follow the obviously friendly shallow

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Lazaruise posted:

follow the obviously friendly shallow

I will allow a suggestion to be given to Vigilante - assuming you/Jane have the same thought Outrail did and check in with her, or Vigilante checks in with Intercept and he relays information on to you. So, do you have a suggestion/order for her?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Find our what this shadow poo poo is. Don't do anything stupid. You're a highly trained vet, you know if it's safe.

edit: And bring back dinner from that Thai place around the corner.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Outrail posted:

Find our what this shadow poo poo is. Don't do anything stupid. You're a highly trained vet, you know if it's safe.

I like plan Outrail.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

Extra spicy.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Outrail posted:

Extra spicy. The cook knows our order.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You’ve managed not to completely flip out after realizing that you’d experienced some sort of memory wipe, and drive on toward the ongoing rally. Intercept can access a camera that points at the parking lot, and could see the couple you’d photographed walking to and getting into the Suburban. They plainly show up in your phone’s storage. Why can’t you remember seeing them? The more you wrack your brain the more the memory seems to slip away, so you stop trying. You can remember not remembering them, so that’s going to have to do for now.

Hopefully the rally will wrap up soon so you can go home and eat the Thai food you’ve asked Vigilante to bring back! Working through lunch sucks. You don’t have an elevated metabolism, per se, but you do tend to pack away the food. It sounds like she’s got her hands full at the Locos HQ. Person-shaped shadows that can slip under doors are definitely something you need to know more about - especially if they’re affiliated with the Locos.

As you park your car and prepared to hike in toward the courthouse (there sure are a lot of people here!) you purse your lips, concerned about Intercept’s vulnerability. Whoever is working with, or coercing, Vigilante has a mutant who can effectively remove things from one’s memory, and they either know all about your little band of Brother(hood)s, or soon will. The obvious target to cripple your burgeoning organization is Intercept. The guy might look like someone from Duck Dynasty, but you know he hates guns and with Squib on loan there’s no firepower anywhere near him for protection.

With effort you force your worries out of your head (although you do ask Intercept to make sure the front door is locked to the apartment), and begin to hear the speaker who’s standing in front of a very diverse crowd on the lawn in front of the courthouse. You’re still fairly distant, but you lengthen your stride and text Eel to find out where he’s at.

A cheer raises up from the crowd. You can see a young mother near the edge, struggling as one of her kids tugs on her hand while the other is jostled about in the stroller she’s trying to push through the grass.

Eel posted:

Near the back of the crowd.

drat, you’re on the opposite side of the rally from him. You pause at the outskirts of the mass of enthusiastic people, and look around, your hands on your hips.

“...and we won’t stand for it anymore!” The woman on the stage lifts a fist high in the air and the rally responds. You are fairly tall, but you find yourself standing on your tiptoes anyway (as much as you can in your steel toed boots), and so you have a pretty good view as the roar of applause turns into screams.

In the middle of the rally an arc of electricity comes from the ground to a tree, splintering it with a loud crack that cuts through the noise. There’s a moment of shocked silence, and then the screaming as more electricity spiders out from what you assume is a mutant gone crazy. It sounds like the Youtube videos you’ve seen of Tesla coils, an incredibly loud buzz of energy that nearly drowns out the rally organizers on the stage asking people to please stay calm.

Your first instinct is to push into the mass of people that’s begun to move toward you, find the mutant and..do something, but then the panicky crowd begins to surge in two directions at once. Another mutant is attacking - you can’t get a good look but you see something huge moving toward the back of the lawn, and an inhuman roar.

The LAPD, formerly content to watch the goings on from the sidelines, is moving in onto the grass as one of them takes the stage and begins instructing people to leave the area at once.

What do you do?

A. Get in there and help take down the rampaging mutants
B. Try to help the mother you saw earlier
C. Eel texted you right before the electric show started - Anna is here with the kids. Oh poo poo. Do whatever you can to get to her and get the Redencion House kids out of here.
D. You’re pretty sure the authorities can handle this, and you don’t want to get involved. Tell your people to get clear and go home.
E. Write in!

:siren:You may ask questions about things you or your people have observed about the rally.

edited in video link

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 22, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A. Really the problem is mutants going nuts. Occam's Razor says we take care of the mutants.

It'll look good for the cameras if one mutant takes down a 'bad' one. Anna is competent and has more useful powers. Our superpower is 'get really hurt and not give a drat' which isn't actually that good but in situations like this it's useful in that we can take stupid risks with regards to personal harm.

Also, when we move places, lets offer to find Intercept a different place to live, way on the other side of the city in an anonymous apartment. He can telecommute anyway, he dosen't seem to get much out of human interaction and he'll be safe. Run it by him and see what he thinks.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
C

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Outrail posted:

A. Really the problem is mutants going nuts. Occam's Razor says we take care of the mutants.

It'll look good for the cameras if one mutant takes down a 'bad' one. Anna is competent and has more useful powers. Our superpower is 'get really hurt and not give a drat' which isn't actually that good but in situations like this it's useful in that we can take stupid risks with regards to personal harm.

Also, when we move places, lets offer to find Intercept a different place to live, way on the other side of the city in an anonymous apartment. He can telecommute anyway, he dosen't seem to get much out of human interaction and he'll be safe. Run it by him and see what he thinks.

Voting for this.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

:munch:

Incidentally the second mutant who is going bananas is near the back which is where Eel is.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Perfact! We can take down these mutants in front of everyone and then gain a reputation as a mutant-hating mutant organization. That won't backfire in any way...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Or, silver lining. We get a Rep for being the people to call when someone's having trouble with dangerous mutants. Aka word of mouth recruitment.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

There Bias Two posted:

Perfact! We can take down these mutants in front of everyone and then gain a reputation as a mutant-hating mutant organization. That won't backfire in any way...

Oh wait. Eel. Electricity. Is someone making him go gangbusters? Stay good eelbro.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Oh wait. Eel. Electricity. Is someone making him go gangbusters? Stay good eelbro.

Eel is in the back of the crowd, the electricity mayhem is in the middle. Different people.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
A & C: There aren't any good options here, but we told the rally organizers we'd help with security. Have Spectrum help Anna round up her kids while the rest of us try to end this quickly. Have Eel loan us whoever is closest to sparky there while he and his partner deal with the chupacabra or whatever the hell.

I think our best bet with shock-man is to simply get close and wrestle him. Hopefully his ability to project electric arcs doesn't actually protect him from electric discharge. Even if it doesn't work, it keeps his attention on Zombie and buys Billy or Digger time to be a hero.

As to how to handle them if we get 'em is another question. We can try to capture and escape with them for interrogation, or we can KO the both and leave 'em to keep the cops busy while we bail. I'm leaning toward the latter, though I have suspicions that this is related to the drug Vigilante showed us.

Tran fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 23, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Outrail posted:

Voting this

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

No one has any questions? We could ask Eel if he can see what the guy/girl/thing in the back looks like. Or, you know. Anything. Like, 'do you like Thai food, Eel?'

Not that I'm telling you to ask questions, I'm just making sure you don't have any.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

hollylolly posted:

'do you like Thai food, Eel?'
Voting this

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009