Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wheat Loaf posted:

"The Two Doctors" is one of the older ones - the second Colin Baker story released on DVD, I believe. Surprised it hasn't had a special edition re-release yet, when stuff like "The Green Death", "The Claws of Axos", "The Ark In Space", "The Visitation" and "Resurrection of the Daleks" all have, when they were released either alongside it or after it.

That being said, I don't know whether they released a special edition as part of the Sontaran box set that came out after they showed up in the revival.

The one in the Sontaran box set is the standard release. It's unlikely to ever get a special edition either, since the Classic Series DVD range is pretty much over and done with. I think they've got The Underwater Menace coming out later this year, and that's about it. That one's probably going to be a bare-bones release like The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World, too.

The DVD range is brilliant, but I am a bit disappointed with these last few releases. The wealth of extra stuff is the main selling point of the whole range, but then the last couple of ones don't even have making-ofs, commentaries or anything. It looks like we aren't getting special editions of those any time soon, either.

After The War posted:

"Thankfully" most of them only seem to be moving around $70-$100 on eBay. But of all the episodes...

I'm going to choose to believe this is because everyone really wants to see the Robert Holmes documentary extra feature.

Well I just watched it yesterday and I have to say it was pretty good :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was that not on "Horror of Fang Rock"? (Might be thinking of a different writer.)

It was the reason I got Two Doctors in the first place! :eng101:

The Fang Rock DVD has a thing about Paddy Russell, at least in the US. Considering it's a Terrance Dicks story, it would be a little strange to have a Bob Holmes documentary on there. Would make more sense to do one on Robin Bland.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ebay had them for $200 this morning when I checked…

And Time-Flight was going for $50 bucks on Amazon.

TIME-FLIGHT!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After The War posted:

Would make more sense to do one on Wobin Bwand.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My mistake. I can never remember which DVD has which special features, with the exception of "Earthshock" (which has a making-of thing which consists of everyone they interviewed slagging off the story, and an episode of Did You See...? about Doctor Who monsters) and "Pyramids of Mars" ("NEIL BEFORE THE MIGHT OF SUTEKH!").

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Sontaran Experiment has a history of the Sontarans in the classic series called Built for War. Kind of neat, including the crew slagging off on the swimming pool scene from The Invasion of Time, and Colin Baker with one of the most…not ice burns, not cringeworthy, but somewhere in between…lines I’ve ever heard…

Colin Baker posted:

Jimmy Savile is much more frightening than the Sontarans. And I’ll leave it at that.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

TIME-FLIGHT!

With eBay, click "sold" if you want to see what things are moving for, instead of what people think their junk is worth.

As for Time-Flight, well, the more shocking thing is:

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Was not expecting this for at least another five years. This is great news, and I'm not even a big Tennant fan.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Which episodes of Classic Who have the story of Davros? I'm kinda obsessed with watching all of them after the Magician's Apprentice.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Every episode with the Daleks in them from Genesis of the Daleks onwards also has Davros.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

CobiWann posted:

TIME-FLIGHT!

The Two Doctors is available through a Hulu subscription. Don't know the difference between it and the DVD version, however.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheat Loaf posted:

You can sometimes find codes online that'll allow you to set your DVD player to Region 0.

Yeah, I have never owned a DVD player that wasn't multi-region, because as soon as I bought them I'd just do a google search for,"<DVD model> region code" and 15 seconds later it magically wasn't restricted by some purely artificial region lock bullshit anymore. gently caress region locks on anything :mad:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just want Season box sets of Doctor Who. I doubt there's any other TV show as big as Doctor Who that doesn't do this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

When he last said that he was actually closer the start than the end. Seriously.

He just said it when Capaldi started.

CaptainYesterday posted:

I just want Season box sets of Doctor Who. I doubt there's any other TV show as big as Doctor Who that doesn't do this.

What?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=doctor+who+season

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Spikeguy posted:

Which episodes of Classic Who have the story of Davros? I'm kinda obsessed with watching all of them after the Magician's Apprentice.

They all have "of the Daleks" at the end so I'm not going to repeat that part: but Genesis, Destiny, Resurrection, Revelation and Remembrance. I'd recommend Genesis (which is Davros's first appearance and the origin story of both him and the Daleks; and apparently very related to the latest one) and Remembrance (it got the balance right between Davros and the Daleks IMO) as first watches since they are the better stories IMO. I haven't watched Destiny recently but I can remember it being not great: its very cheap even for a classic Who story and Terry Nation apparently forgot everything about the Daleks in the years after writing Genesis of the Daleks, I really don't like Resurrection of the Daleks for reasons I've since forgotten, and I've never watched Revelation but apparently its one of Colin Baker's better stories on TV.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I'm assuming they mean of the old, pre-revival seasons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Revelation" is fine when the Doctor is actually in it. As it is, he and Peri spend most of the first episode walking towards a building in the snow, and I'm pretty sure a couple of the subplots are almost totally independent of him and anything he actually does. I don't really enjoy either it or "Resurrection", but then again, I'm not a great Eric Saward fan outside of "The Visitation" and "The Caves of Androzani" (which was written by Robert Holmes, but in the style of an Eric Saward story :v:).

It does have the single most over-the-top reaction to being exterminated in the entire history of the show.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 24, 2015

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Forktoss posted:

I think they've got The Underwater Menace coming out later this year, and that's about it. That one's probably going to be a bare-bones release like The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World, too.

The Underwater Menace is coming out in the UK in about a month, and will have some bonus features - a making of as well as the other half of the BBC TV Centre documentary which was on one of the re-release DVDs, plus commentaries on the existing episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

I'm assuming they mean of the old, pre-revival seasons.

He made no such specification. And besides, they do offer boxed sets of Classic Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It does have the single most over-the-top reaction to being exterminated in the entire history of the show.

This bit?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Resurrection is pretty drat flawed, but there are things I like about it, most notably Turlough's very sensible "yeah, gently caress this" reaction to finding himself on a space station full of Daleks.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

He made no such specification. And besides, they do offer boxed sets of Classic Who.

Well I now specify that I was talking about classic Who. The only two seasons of classic Who to be enclosed in an entire box set are the Key to Time and the Trial of a Time Lord seasons.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've said it before, but all the ...of the Daleks mentioned above make pretty good summaries of their eras - dark material with a light, silly presentation in Destiny, the paranoia and brutality of Resurrection, the body horror (and almost surreal goofiness) of Revelation, and the introduction of the chessmaster Doctor (along with the destructive nature of conflict itself) in Remembrance.

With all the changes, though, Davros is never consistently written (the "and the universe will be MINE!" of Destiny being the worst) so the important one to see is Genesis. If you want a great story that examines the nature of Davros' morality and worldview, his self-titled audio from Big Finish is a $3 download. That side of the character is present in the I, Davros miniseries, which is better than it had any right to be, but not in The Juggernauts. The less said about Terror Firma the better.

Unlike the Master, all the great Davros moments really come down to him and the Doctor talking. I'd actually stand by the "greatest nemesis" line on that alone: Davros really is doing what he feels is right for everyone, but coming from a twisted moral center based on seeing his society crumble and people die out

For reals, get Davros.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Zaroff posted:

The Underwater Menace is coming out in the UK in about a month, and will have some bonus features - a making of as well as the other half of the BBC TV Centre documentary which was on one of the re-release DVDs, plus commentaries on the existing episodes.

Well of course you would shill for the Underwater Menace DVD.

Good to hear it still has some extras. No animation on the missing episodes, though? That's a shame, though I wasn't really expecting it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That bit.

Though I thought there was a bit where he slowly reaches out to Kara after he's finished writhing about but before he drops dead.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Davros is at his best in Genesis. It is him at his most human, most complex, and most horrible.

He is not a Dalek, he is a flawed old man who has been twisted by war. He believes that he can save his race but is ultimately wrong and his final moments are spent trying to undo the mistake he made, as his own creations prove how much more ruthless and viscous they are than he could ever be.

Davros would crush a vile that would wipe out all life, but he would do it because of reasons he has. He's not a genocidal freak for no good reason, he's not a cartoon super villain. The Daleks are worse than he is because they would need no reason to unleash that virus. They would WANT no reason to.

And then they brought him back and he became a Saturday morning cartoon character.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

After The War posted:

For reals, get Davros.

This. Well worth it for the opening monologue alone.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

docbeard posted:

This. Well worth it for the opening monologue alone.

That's fantastic in itself, but it was when he reveals his plan for fixing the galactic economy that I realized how interesting Davros was as a character and how wonderful Terry Malloy is.

And no, the plan does not involve Daleks.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well I now specify that I was talking about classic Who. The only two seasons of classic Who to be enclosed in an entire box set are the Key to Time and the Trial of a Time Lord seasons.

Well, there are more. Technically.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

That's fantastic in itself, but it was when he reveals his plan for fixing the galactic economy that I realized how interesting Davros was as a character and how wonderful Terry Malloy is.

And no, the plan does not involve Daleks.

Yeah that's great, because you realize he actually thinks he is being helpful and he can't see the moral horror of what he is doing. It's what I based that silly little "Davros gets the dishes done" bit on in a previous thread :)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

computer parts posted:

And since when does "Hyperspace" exist? So generic and dull.
Well, it is a theoretical absurdity.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I didn't really like Davros very much when I listened to it. I don't actually remember much about it either, but I'm not really a fan of the character outside of the new series anyway.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Watching The Stolen Earth / Journey's End makes me realize how little I like Tennant's Doctor, and I can't quite place why.

(That, and I'm curious what 11 woiuld've done with Davros)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1UF9U9dzw

If you want a sample of the eponymous audio, here's the opening monologue people are talking about.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ya'll are scrubs for spoiling that Remembrance had Davros, cause that was a helluva reveal. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Ya'll are scrubs for spoiling that Remembrance had Davros, cause that was a helluva reveal. :colbert:

What's the spoiler policy on 30 year old tv shows?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And it's also a reveal that relies on you assuming he's in it anyway.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Well, I mean, the surprise regarding Davros isn't that he is the one behind it all; they pull a much more clever Davros reveal fakeout thing in Remembrance.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

FreezingInferno posted:

Well, I mean, the surprise regarding Davros isn't that he is the one behind it all; they pull a much more clever Davros reveal fakeout thing in Remembrance.

I just watched remembrance for the first time and it is good and not bad.

Except where two sects of Daleks a foot away from one another fire at each other for like thirty minutes and don't hit poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that's great, because you realize he actually thinks he is being helpful and he can't see the moral horror of what he is doing. It's what I based that silly little "Davros gets the dishes done" bit on in a previous thread :)

My favorite part of Davros is when at the end the Doctor just goes "oh he's not dead, he always comes back somehow".

• Locked thread