Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The Bit Wars of the 90s and the followup skirmishes over photorealistic graphics set back game design years by forcing things into games we can make pretty, then games that will sell very well because they're so expensive to produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why don't they make immersive sims anymore?
Because Looking Glass, and later Ion Storm, died in the arse. Eidos Montreal are still holding the end up with the Deus Ex sequels, but they're but one studio and they definitely aren't perfect (see: Thi4f).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Why don't they make immersive sims anymore?
John Romero.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Because Looking Glass, and later Ion Storm, died in the arse. Eidos Montreal are still holding the end up with the Deus Ex sequels, but they're but one studio and they definitely aren't perfect (see: Thi4f).

Yeah I like Human Revolution quite a bit but I'd be lying if I said it was a worthy successor. It feels too constrictive to really be considered an immersive sim to me. Let's...let's not talk about Thief 4...

Casimir Radon posted:

John Romero.

B-b-but John Romero is how we got Deus Ex in the first place :smith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

catlord posted:

The way the spines look on those books weirds me out, is that normal in non-English books? I have a couple Cinebook Melusine collections and they have similar spines and it weirds me out there too. Also, I adore the fact that you have Shadows over Baker Street.

And of course your plush Doomguy and monsters.

Yes, all of these books (cept Masters of Doom) are in spanish and they change the spine to match the style of the books in here. I've noticed that too when buying books from the UK or US and comparing them with the spanish versions printed in here. Shadows over Baker Street is a drat fun book mixing Lovecraft and Sherlock Holmes really well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah I like Human Revolution quite a bit but I'd be lying if I said it was a worthy successor. It feels too constrictive to really be considered an immersive sim to me.

It's not like Deus Ex was exempt from this, but I really felt like I spent a ton of time walking up and down (and repeatedly returning to) the same handful of streets in Human Revolution.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

after like 8 hours i still can't stop laughing at the loving elevator music in system shock. i'm like OH gently caress I GOTTA SPRINT AWAY FROM THESE ROBOTS aand i get back to safetey and then its all do doooo doot doot doooooooo

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

jimmy boag posted:

after like 8 hours i still can't stop laughing at the loving elevator music in system shock. i'm like OH gently caress I GOTTA SPRINT AWAY FROM THESE ROBOTS aand i get back to safetey and then its all do doooo doot doot doooooooo
What gets me is that they play it in the goddamn freight elevator too. That's some dedication to elevator music.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

In Shock 1 do the MFDs just close sometimes for no apparent reason in fullscreen mode? It's a real pain.

Then again it's not like I need to switch weapons or reload now that I found the laser rapier.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So yeah I'm just gonna keep coming back here to my FRIENDS as I play through this. Where's the enviro-suit so I can get into beta-grove? Storage level, right?

Update: Got it. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like this one a lot more than 2.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 26, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the "enhanced version" the same as the portable version that was floating around earlier? How did they change the controls?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

jimmy boag posted:

Elevator music gags are great. I remember laughing my rear end off when I was playing Max Payne, got into an elevator, shot the speaker and Max said "thank you"

... man I gotta replay this game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Goldeneye had some great elevator music as well. Pity there's not an easter egg that plays it over the gun barrel intro sequence.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

david_a posted:

Is the "enhanced version" the same as the portable version that was floating around earlier? How did they change the controls?

I don't know how the portable version handled it but you can set your own controls in a cfg file in this one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Internet Friend posted:

I don't know how the portable version handled it but you can set your own controls in a cfg file in this one.
I was more wondering about the mouse. The original had, uh, a unique setup. I've heard people say this one has mouse look which barely makes sense to me given how it used to work.

From reading the GOG reviews it does not seem to be quite the same thing as the portable edition. People are apparently not too happy about the PE being forced offline, so there is apparently an effort to make a legal version of it. I presume this would be some kind of patching utility for the disk version which I don't understand why they didn't do to begin with.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

david_a posted:

I was more wondering about the mouse. The original had, uh, a unique setup. I've heard people say this one has mouse look which barely makes sense to me given how it used to work.

There's a button to toggle between the original mouse controls (which are necessary for interacting with the UI) and the added proper mouselook.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

haveblue posted:

"Look at you, hedgehog, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors..."

"I D-D-D-ISPI-I-I-ISE THAT HEDGEHOG-HOG-HOG-HOG"

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The best deus ex mod, Zodiac, had a neat joke where you got XP for shooting the speakers out in the lift playing obnoxious elevator music.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So I destroyed the laser, jettisoned beta grove, now I'm on engineering trying to stop Shodan from downloading herself into the internet. This loving level has this bigass cyborgs that absolutely DESTROY me faster than I can kill them. Am I missing something? Some upgrade for the shields or a better weapon or some strategy for fighting them? I can't believe people beat this back in the day without mouselook :psyduck:

Update 1: Did some more exploring; found the Skorpion rifle and the v3 shield. Flee before me in terror, mechanical shitweasels. Did I mention this is now my favorite game of all time? Because it is.

Update 2: I'm so kitted out I'm using the Skorpion's slag rounds to take out cameras. I can hover. I destroyed a node cluster by playing hot potato with an earthshaker bomb. Shodan tried to kill me by locking me in the same room as a pound of plastique explosions. Luckily, I am immortal so long as an arbitrary switch is pulled. Get hosed.

Update 3: Just beat it. That was a wild loving ride. Favorite game ever. I am drunk with this vision. 11/10 would pant and sweat while running through corridors again.

Totally going to write something up on this soon.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 27, 2015

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

jimmy boag posted:

Fun fact. The music flag for the elevator tile is what the game uses to determine where the player goes to when travelling between levels.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hank Morgan posted:

Fun fact. The music flag for the elevator tile is what the game uses to determine where the player goes to when travelling between levels.

Why on earth did they do this?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Why on earth did they do this?

Basically the map file for 15 levels including object info for the entire game is 600kb in total (compressed). It was the only unique field that they had available to them in the file structure.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Beat Shock 1 enhanced edition. Still a great game, though even with mouselook cyberspace still sucks.

Hank Morgan posted:

Basically the map file for 15 levels including object info for the entire game is 600kb in total (compressed). It was the only unique field that they had available to them in the file structure.

How does that work on floors with multiple elevators? Are there a bunch of redundant elevator music flags?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The last time I played ss1 I had to turn off mouselook when i went into cyberspace.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone have any advice on how to fix the WINE version of System Shock 2? The windows for my inventory and stuff are actually outside of the game window/my screen.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
You guys turned off mouselook in cyberspace? :psyduck: How did you control it?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Internet Friend posted:

Beat Shock 1 enhanced edition. Still a great game, though even with mouselook cyberspace still sucks.

How does that work on floors with multiple elevators? Are there a bunch of redundant elevator music flags?

I think it's to do with how each set of lift shafts (or level transition objects) only goes to certain levels. So if you are on floor 2 that has a lift shaft that goes to floors 1,2 & 3 and a shaft that goes to 2,3 & 4 you will also have matching lift shafts on those levels for 1,2 & 3 and 2,3 & 4 as needed. It uses the music flag to get the correct tile for the lift and then from the correct tile it matches the lift shaft to the one you have just used. All objects such as the lift triggers are stored in linked lists that get their first entry from the tile they are in so it has to find the tile before it can find the lift trigger object.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hate to interrupt System Shock chat but does anyone know of a mod that adds the SSG and maybe the beastiary to DooM 1?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I've been getting back into UT99 recently and it always amazes me what a great idea mutators are and how much fun they can be.

This is an average game of instagib with a few cosmetic mutators used together.

Small things like volatile ammo can also add an extra dimension of strategy to Death Match.

Unfortunately it seems these days Monster Hunt and vanilla CTF on Face are the only game in town online. Monster Hunt can be fun but the maps for it are invariably hideous.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always loved Last Man Standing modes in these types of games. I'd always want to play a custom game of Halo that I called 'The Life', which was basically all human weapons, nothing crazy, no shields, and one or two lives. I guess I just love (this form of) permadeath :shobon: It made your moves more dangerous, potentially.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wamdoodle posted:

Hate to interrupt System Shock chat but does anyone know of a mod that adds the SSG and maybe the beastiary to DooM 1?

Are you asking for PWADs? You can change their map slots form e1m1 etc to map01 etc and just load them in Doom 2. If you want the monsters, add them in yourself.

Are you asking for the original levels? The PSX Doom total conversion at higher difficulties brings in the Doom 2 monsters to many Doom 1 levels, though as on the console the layouts are simplified and some are cut entirely - you also need to do a console command to get a super shotgun before the end of the Doom 1 levels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

joedevola posted:

I've been getting back into UT99 recently and it always amazes me what a great idea mutators are and how much fun they can be.

This is an average game of instagib with a few cosmetic mutators used together.

Small things like volatile ammo can also add an extra dimension of strategy to Death Match.

Unfortunately it seems these days Monster Hunt and vanilla CTF on Face are the only game in town online. Monster Hunt can be fun but the maps for it are invariably hideous.

Mutators were a really cool idea, stackable modular mods that you could combine into all kinds of custom silliness. And its where I cut my teeth on game development too, making a full mod was too daunting as a young programmer but little mutators that did silly poo poo were easy to wrap my head around.

I really miss how "and the kitchen sink" FPS games were around that time. Games like UT99, UT2004, Timesplitters 2, even the first Halo game gave you all kinds of game type options. You could create matches where everybody spawned with rockets and had 200% of normal HP and time moved slowly and there was low gravity but rockets moved really really fast, poo poo like that.

Nowadays modern FPS games don't even let you host your own loving servers, much less play with the game settings. Its ridiculously restrictive.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Are you asking for PWADs? You can change their map slots form e1m1 etc to map01 etc and just load them in Doom 2. If you want the monsters, add them in yourself.

Are you asking for the original levels? The PSX Doom total conversion at higher difficulties brings in the Doom 2 monsters to many Doom 1 levels, though as on the console the layouts are simplified and some are cut entirely - you also need to do a console command to get a super shotgun before the end of the Doom 1 levels.

Mostly for curiosity's sake. I knew about the PSX version adding some of the D2 monsters to the D1 levels. I've never tried Doom modding before. Maybe I could start there :)

Here's a question I don't think we've really been over. What are some of the weapons of choice when it come to Doom modding?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Mutators were a really cool idea, stackable modular mods that you could combine into all kinds of custom silliness. And its where I cut my teeth on game development too, making a full mod was too daunting as a young programmer but little mutators that did silly poo poo were easy to wrap my head around.

I really miss how "and the kitchen sink" FPS games were around that time. Games like UT99, UT2004, Timesplitters 2, even the first Halo game gave you all kinds of game type options. You could create matches where everybody spawned with rockets and had 200% of normal HP and time moved slowly and there was low gravity but rockets moved really really fast, poo poo like that.

Nowadays modern FPS games don't even let you host your own loving servers, much less play with the game settings. Its ridiculously restrictive.

I think this post is pretty much this thread, in 3 paragraphs.

We all need more ridiculous FPSs. That dude who's making that Minecraft FPS game (Guncraft? Is that the name, or am I thinking of something else?) should take notice of this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wamdoodle posted:

Here's a question I don't think we've really been over. What are some of the weapons of choice when it come to Doom modding?

Doom Wiki for general reference, and for port-specific doc there's a list at the bottom of the Doom Wiki frontpage, under "Other Doom-related Wikis".
GZDoom Builder for map making
SLADE 3 for most everything else

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Possibly the best thing about the way mutators were implemented is that if you try to join a server running one you don't have - it just downloads and installs it for you.

I just had an insanely fun game of CTF with grappling hooks instead of the translocator.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

+hook needs to be available in every fps

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I remember liking the mutators in UT2K4 that let me quad jump everywhere, and then, later, one that let me tweak all sorts of variables - most notably for my tastes, the number of giblets people spawn when they die (so people can explode into 100 heads or something stupid like that). Although, that latter mod tended to have variable changes "stick" even after I reset everything back to their defaults, which was kind of annoying.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Just a head's up: that UT2004 Pickups in Unreal mod that I found a while back is suddenly back online! That means that anyone with that mod that lets you play Unreal in UT2004 can now play the campaign with BALLISTIC WEAPONS!! Get the mod here.

EDIT: And of course, after leaving that link open in another tab for months, hoping it'd show up again... it doesn't appear to work. Great.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We all need more ridiculous FPSs. That dude who's making that Minecraft FPS game (Guncraft? Is that the name, or am I thinking of something else?) should take notice of this.

I would rather see an FPS with Minecraft's cube-based world, but with enemies and objects being sprites.