Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

There are advisors, in my time in the army we'd have folks from all over, Pakistan, Jordan, South Africa, France, Russia etc.. its just a simple fact there is complete rejection of how to mount conventional war, most of the time its like "whatever get it over with so i can go back to loving about" attitude that most soldiers (and officers) have, the only thing most people cared about was whose who in the pecking order and they followed orders from there.

Sergg posted:

This is Saudi Arabia we're talking about. I don't know how many Saudis you've met but they are the most pampered, spoiled metrosexuals on earth and while they may have fabulous outfits and intricately manicured nails, their society isn't exactly geared towards the meritocracy required to create effective soldiers, officers, or a chain of command.

This really applies to most of the peninsula :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't get this though, if you have billions and billions to spend on hardware, why wouldn't you spend a million or two and hire someone to show you how to use them effectively, handle the logistics, train the personnel, etc. are they afraid if the army gets too competent they will perform a coup? Because you don't really need much of a competence for that to happen, see Africa or closer by Egypt (which you know is still mostly Africa but you get my drift).

Purchases of big-ticket military hardware come with dudes who will teach your guys how to use it.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Purchases of big-ticket military hardware come with dudes who will teach your guys how to use it.

You must understand that Western ideals like tactics and strategy are irrelevant and just complicate things. The idea of professionalism is just a Western colonial concept, they don't understand what it's like here. Besides Allah himself has blessed this operation *General al-Bilko drives tanks into a valley with zero support*.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The British Mercenary Advisers who come with the weapons systems probably give passing marks in exchange for cash/harem bribes.

A couple recommended 'Star Trek: Enterprise' episodes for the thread:

Season 1: Desert Crossing

Season 3: Chosen Realm

"Both sides have been decimated. There are no major cities left. Millions... are dead. Your faith was going to bring peace? Here it is."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pimpmust posted:

Got any examples? Drawing blanks on "victorious-in-an-actual-war" dictatorships lately. ...(North) Vietnam? Depending on if you class that as a dictatorship or not (South Vietnam, not so good).

I mean, maybe if they inherited a good professional officer corps and weapons industry they can do OK for awhile (see Germany), but eventually you end up with a bunch of personal fiefdoms and armies wasting resources and doing dumb poo poo.

Iran and its proxies seem to be doing very well with very little in comparison to the resources and hardware their enemies can muster, and they're fighting wars at several fronts. Hezbollah alone could hold back Israel in 2006 too. Iran also held off Saddam's army and beat it back from Iranian soil when the country was in complete chaos too. These days not many dictatorships actually fight wars as opposed to having problems at home though.

Zeroisanumber posted:

So how well trained is the average Saudi soldier? Like would it be a capable army if it wasn't led by the King's second cousins or whatever?

Is this their elite unit and it is being wasted guarding the al-Sauds?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabian_National_Guard

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 27, 2015

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Miltank solution to Syrian Crisis: partition along sectarian lines with a RF/US DMZ around Alewite territory. Shia Alewite state in the west, a Sunni state in the east continuing into present day Iraq along what are roughly the borders of ISIL and Greater Kurdistan in north Syria and Iraqi Kurdistan.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Miltank posted:

Miltank solution to Syrian Crisis: partition along sectarian lines with a RF/US DMZ around Alewite territory. Shia Alewite state in the west, a Sunni state in the east continuing into present day Iraq along what are roughly the borders of ISIL and Greater Kurdistan in north Syria and Iraqi Kurdistan.

Erdogan just had a small aneurysm and he doesn't know why

euclidian88
Aug 3, 2013
So maybe this war is just the Saudi way of thinning out the number of useless princes.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Yeah Erdogan is the tricky part. Maybe we give him a bunch of bribe money or promise to help fight the PKK.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Miltank posted:

Yeah Erdogan is the tricky part. Maybe we give him a bunch of bribe money or promise to help fight the PKK.

Just coup him out and by the time the reaction arrives we can have that configuration of states be a done deal.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Panzeh posted:

Just coup him out and by the time the reaction arrives we can have that configuration of states be a done deal.

I actually read that as a drone deal. Though like everything else in the Middle East, it would probably involve drones eventually.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
We could probably just give them relative intel that the NSA picks up. If it gets to the point that we would need to actively drone strike the PKK then we've already lost. Plus we would definitely need Greater Kurdistan as an ally and anything that overt would be a problem for them.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

J33uk posted:

You must understand that Western ideals like tactics and strategy are irrelevant and just complicate things. The idea of professionalism is just a Western colonial concept, they don't understand what it's like here. Besides Allah himself has blessed this operation *General al-Bilko drives tanks into a valley with zero support*.

Basically this. We had Saudi students at the Army flight school at FT Rucker, AL. They didn't want to learn and spent their time in the states drinking and screwing around. They were always passed though because their government paid for them to go and our relationship the Saudis meant we had to treat them with kid gloves.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

euclidian88 posted:

So maybe this war is just the Saudi way of thinning out the number of useless princes.

The irl version of making your worst vassals in CK2 army commanders and sending them on suicide missions. :v:

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

At this point, I am imagining the Saudi tactics to be exactly like the enemies in Metal Gear Solid. I fully expect the next general to be fultoned out.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Give him a suit of armor.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Apoffys posted:

On the topic of Arabs and war, I read this opinion piece recently:

http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars

It's quite old now (published in 1999), but is it still relevant? Any opinions on it? I don't really know much about the subject, but I found it quite interesting to read.

A page or so in and it's mostly bog standard Clash of Civilizations "The white man thinks like this and the Arab like this" horseshit

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 27, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ultimately a lot of Western Armies aren't actually that far removed in quality from the Saudi's. The huge push towards reliance on superior technology instead of focusing on superior training AND technology has been slowly degrading the quality of our military forces for a while now. You can thank right wing dipshits who care about nothing more than throwing a trillion dollars at some defense contractor to put a whole lot of middle class white jobs in their district. Cuts to training and personal have been severe lately and a lot of the U.S.'s officer training programs are just falling apart.

It doesn't matter if your a dictatorship or a Republic, if you don't balance training personal AND developing better technology your army will be worthless.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Ultimately a lot of Western Armies aren't actually that far removed in quality from the Saudi's. The huge push towards reliance on superior technology instead of focusing on superior training AND technology has been slowly degrading the quality of our military forces for a while now. You can thank right wing dipshits who care about nothing more than throwing a trillion dollars at some defense contractor to put a whole lot of middle class white jobs in their district. Cuts to training and personal have been severe lately and a lot of the U.S.'s officer training programs are just falling apart.

It doesn't matter if your a dictatorship or a Republic, if you don't balance training personal AND developing better technology your army will be worthless.

[citation needed]

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

[citation needed]

Source: My entire family works in the MiC and if you want me to I can link you about 15 or more articles on the insane amount of money we are burning making Jets that burn their entire fuel store just taking off. Many of the budget cuts in recent years to the military have been to personal/staff and training because nobody in the GOP wants to tell Military Developers to gently caress off and actually come back with a good product. We spend a fuckload of money on the equipment for our military, we don't spend nearly as much trying to actually train or attract good people TO the military.

The only real service right now that doesn't have it's head 7 feet up it's own rear end is the Navy, with the Army maybe coming in close second and Air Force/Marines coming in dead last.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

Source: My entire family works in the MiC and if you want me to I can link you about 15 or more articles on the insane amount of money we are burning making Jets that burn their entire fuel store just taking off. Many of the budget cuts in recent years to the military have been to personal/staff and training because nobody in the GOP wants to tell Military Developers to gently caress off and actually come back with a good product. We spend a fuckload of money on the equipment for our military, we don't spend nearly as much trying to actually train or attract good people TO the military.

The only real service right now that doesn't have it's head 7 feet up it's own rear end is the Navy, with the Army maybe coming in close second and Air Force/Marines coming in dead last.

So the actual important services are fine. Good to know.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Yes we deliberately target those weddings its exactly the same as Assad deliberately targeting bread lines and hospitals...

And of course Assad is going to stick it out. He saw Mubarak end up in jail, and Ghaddafi murdered in the street. He didn't want to end up like that even if it means the complete destruction of his country. If he really cared about his country he would have stepped down in 2011 when hundreds of thousands were protesting. Even if someone from his regime had taken over it would have probably still averted a civil war.

Honestly, are the Syrians directly targeting... anything... with their barrel bombs? Bearing in mind that barrels are by their nature un-aerodynamic, and are being manually chucked out of helicopters FAAAR far above any city they are bombing.

(Note, obviously area bombing of civilian targets like 'a town/city' is a war crime, I'm not denying that.)

mediadave fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 27, 2015

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Apoffys posted:

On the topic of Arabs and war, I read this opinion piece recently:

http://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars

It's quite old now (published in 1999), but is it still relevant? Any opinions on it? I don't really know much about the subject, but I found it quite interesting to read.

I'm not a sociologist or anthropologist, but I don't recommend the work of Norvell B. De Atkine, or the scholarship published in Pipe's MEQ. That's all I'll say on that.

Alternatively, I recommend: Arabs at War: Military Effectiveness, 1948-1991 and the monograph it's adapted from: Armies of Snow and Armies of Sand: The Impact of Soviet Military Doctrine on Arab Militaries. They are more up to date and include less Jungian bullshit.

Edit:

I will upload the paper to Scribd when I get a spare moment.

2nd edit:

removed

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 19, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah, you are pretty stupid. Don't care if your daddy works as a security guard at a boeing plant.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

mediadave posted:

Honestly, are the Syrians directly targeting... anything... with their barrel bombs? Bearing in mind that barrels are by their nature un-aerodynamic, and are being manually chucked out of helicopters FAAAR far above any city they are bombing.

(Note, obviously area bombing of civilian targets like 'a town/city' is a war crime, I'm not denying that.)
They're "targeting" rebel-held areas in that it's likely the Barrel Bombs will hit somewhere that's rebel-controlled. But definitely not directly targeting, Barrel Bomb bombing is even more indiscriminate than WW2-style bombing.

In other news, the YPG in Sheikh Maqsood have taken part of the rebel-controlled Castello Road/highway:

This is of course related to Al-Nusra being loving assholes and shelling Sheikh Maqsood with mortars and artillery with about the same accuracy as Assad's Barrel Bombs (read: none).

The rebels may start freaking out about this in the next few days, because without that highway, the only notable road left into the rest of rebel-controlled Aleppo is this one:

This road is much smaller, much more precarious, and much more vulnerable to attack, especially since Nusra are being a bunch of loving morons and making it more likely for the YPG to turn a blind eye if Assad does something, rather than the current situation of turning a blind eye when the rebels do stuff.

Oh, and the Euphrates Volcano may have taken territory in east Jarabulus, nothing confirmed yet:
https://twitter.com/cahitstorm/status/648158201033158656

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
As deplorable as the practice of barrel bombing is, it's not really any different from the night-time raids the British RAF made against Germany during WW2, which were an example of a western power targeting enemy civilians indiscriminately.

Furthermore, in a conflict like this which is even more along religious and ethnic lines that political ones, there is a perverse sort of logic to barrel bombing. The Syrian Army isn't exactly wrong to assume that any areas inhabited entirely by Sunnis and under rebel control are going to be hostile to them no matter what they do, so they might as well just try and bomb the entire town or whatever mercilessly until all the civilians flee the country and it becomes depopulated. This has become a total war, and rightly or wrongly, the Assad regime sees the civilians gathered in marketplaces inside enemy territory as the logistical tail of the armed rebels trying to push them out of the capital.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Liberal_L33t posted:

As deplorable as the practice of barrel bombing is, it's not really any different from the night-time raids the British RAF made against Germany during WW2, which were an example of a western power targeting enemy civilians indiscriminately.

Uh this is just a tu quoque because strategic bombing was an atrocity.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

British night bombing was less accurate than barrel bombing, end stop. No need to resort to that level of foolish hyperbole. Something like half of the bombs missed by 2 miles from the aim point, and that is assuming the aim point was correct.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
War is atrocious

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

McDowell posted:

War is atrocious

Sure, but it can be less or more atrocious, and we've laid out some fairly explicit rules that military commanders and policymakers are morally obligated to follow.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

oh cool, after the WW2 nuking thread ended there was no place to discuss how human rights and international law and are limp-wristed liberal frivolities, now we can do it here

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Kill em all and let god sort em out

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KaptainKrunk posted:

Sure, but it can be less or more atrocious, and we've laid out some fairly explicit rules that military commanders and policymakers are morally obligated to follow.

That method is...unsound

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I'm bracing for a Syrian bloodbath in a week or so when Assad and Putin begin bombing all rebel positions (daesh and otherwise) without particular regard for collateral damage.

Is that pretty much it? I don't feel like I'm up to speed, here.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
So in Libya on Friday a man who was believed to be the leader of the largest refugee smuggling operation in Libya was assassinated along with 8 of his body guards. This coincided with Italy's announcement of "tactical operations" in response to the Mediterranean refugee crisis and now some members of the Tripoli government are stating that they believe that Italian special forces killed him, though imo it's probably more likely that a rival criminal group killed him.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dilkington posted:

I'm not a sociologist or anthropologist, but I don't recommend the work of Norvell B. De Atkine, or the scholarship published in Pipe's MEQ. That's all I'll say on that.

Alternatively, I recommend, Arabs at War: Military Effectiveness, 1948-1991 and the monograph it's adapted from: Armies of Snow and Armies of Sand: The Impact of Soviet Military Doctrine on Arab Militaries. They are more up to date and include less Jungian bullshit.

Edit:

I will upload the paper to Scribd when I get a spare moment.

2nd edit:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/282911962/Armies-of-Snow-Armies-of-Sand

There's lots of analysis available on the performance of modern Arab militaries, however almost all of it suffers from a shallow understanding of anthropology, although Arabs at War is better in this regard than most. At least it doesn't cite loving John Keegan, unlike Why Arabs Lose Wars. Both articles generally agree and offer the same conclusion; Arab armies fail because Arab culture is incompatible with a professional military.

Both pieces offer a dire prediction for military planners: If Arab culture does not change at a fundamental level, Arab militaries will never succeed on the modern battlefield. While I can understand why American army trainers frustrated by spoiled princes might fall into this defeatist logic, none of the scholarship I've read addressed those Arab armies that SUCCEEDED, and how they did so. In particular, I would like to hear more about the forces in the Algerian Civil War, Hezbollah, and ISIS and how they fit into this theory of Arab military failure.

Since we're on the subject anyway, can anyone suggest some good sources for the history of Hezbollah? Or maybe a broader history of the Lebanese Civil War? Since I'm reading about the Houthi's now I might as well pivot to another Shia para-state actor.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

fade5 posted:

In other news, the YPG in Sheikh Maqsood have taken part of the rebel-controlled Castello Road/highway:

This is of course related to Al-Nusra being loving assholes and shelling Sheikh Maqsood with mortars and artillery with about the same accuracy as Assad's Barrel Bombs (read: none).

One would think that Al-Nusra would either cut that poo poo out or go full out when they get this dumb idea in their heads. How many times has it been that they have picked this fight just to get smacked in the nose till the YPG thinks they've had enough?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ikasuhito posted:

One would think that Al-Nusra would either cut that poo poo out or go full out when they get this dumb idea in their heads. How many times has it been that they have picked this fight just to get smacked in the nose till the YPG thinks they've had enough?
What makes it especially dumb is that with Russia now backing Assad, Nusra is gonna have all the fighting they could want and then some. Trying to open another fighting front in the clusterfuck that is Aleppo only serves to pull rebel fighters and resources that could be better used elsewhere.

DarkCrawler posted:

Erdogan just had a small aneurysm and he doesn't know why
You know, I'm still amazed that the US sided with the YPG rather than with Erdoğan. Conventional logic says that the US should have hung the YPG out to dry rather than risk pissing off Turkey, but nope, Erdoğan was enough of an rear end that the US defied conventional logic and chose to go full steam ahead in backing the YPG and their FSA allies, while telling Erdoğan to just sit and spin.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

So in Libya on Friday a man who was believed to be the leader of the largest refugee smuggling operation in Libya was assassinated along with 8 of his body guards. This coincided with Italy's announcement of "tactical operations" in response to the Mediterranean refugee crisis and now some members of the Tripoli government are stating that they believe that Italian special forces killed him, though imo it's probably more likely that a rival criminal group killed him.

Well knowing the Italians they quite possibly subcontracted the job out to the rival criminal gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Xerxes17 posted:

Well knowing the Italians they quite possibly subcontracted the job out to the rival criminal gang.

And/or are the rival criminal gang.

• Locked thread