Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Arx Monolith posted:

First multiplayer game. 220,000 petty cash. Okay. Magic is cool. Wonder what it does. Oh. It ends my turn. Cool.

PSA: If you have a wizard, either use him as the FIRST action of your turn (in which case you can play your turn as normal afterward) or use him as the LAST action of your turn (because if you use him after you've moved anything else it will end your turn).

I only found this out (it's a tabletop rule that Cyanide has copied faithfully but not really bothered to explain) after the first time I'd used him in a game so I might as well spread the knowledge. On the bright side, I managed to knock down an entire dwarf cage with Fireball but still it would have been nice to know I could actually have taken advantage of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Shoutout to the Goon Human Coach I played against as chaos. Two deaths due to single skull dice. A bloody, bloody good game.

Played a pub match after for s/g
How does HE: 11 linemen, Apoc, 4Re-rolls = WE: 2WD, Tree, 9 linemen, Apoc, 2 Re-rolls? We were only 60 tv apart.

Probably injuries on the enemy players. Wood elves are especially fragile and their permanent injuries really bring down TV.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Arx Monolith posted:

Do whaaaaaa?
No. I just always thought Blood Bowl was the table top version of football with attitude plus a shitload of lore I don't care about.
I am now learning it is just as Fantasy-Math-By-Hand as Warhammer or DnD. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVtutEkxEak

Again, pre-alpha as gently caress. It basically looks more like Blitz than the old MLF Genesis title but hey, there's that.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Talmonis posted:

We're you the Chaos team, or the Lizard team?

I was the double injury start lizard team.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Again, pre-alpha as gently caress. It basically looks more like Blitz than the old MLF Genesis title but hey, there's that.

Hey, Blitz with chainsaws would be extremely okay.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Hahaha, my tv1400 orcs got matched up vs tv 2100 orcs in NAF. I hired Morg andRripper and he conceeded after turn 6 when I was 1-0 up. He did not have a tonne of cash that infalted his tv or something. All of his BoBs had 3 skills ect but I guess he was used to people seeing a huge tv gap and conceeding. Morg is awesome vs non claw teams.
Is the rule that any player over 51spp have to roll to see if he leaves your team if you conceede implemented in NAf or anywhere. Because that needs to be in.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

MRLOLAST posted:

(...)Is the rule that any player over 51spp have to roll to see if he leaves your team if you conceede implemented in NAf or anywhere. Because that needs to be in.

Anecdotal evidence in this thread and at the steam forums suggest that rule is in.

Nuffle doesn't take kindly to leavers. :commissar:

CzarTim
Oct 2, 2012

Only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean.

Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?

Raged posted:

I normally play for the win. However if someone starts cussing me out the first time I block and injure a guy then I will try my best to kill every player they have. Last game I played against Skaven and this guy would just not stop bitching about how lizards are unfair and noob this noob that. I killed 2 gutter runners caused multiple injuries. Last turn we were tied and I could attempt to pick up the ball and win or foul his level 3 Rat Orge.

I play to win as well. Yesterday I had an orc team concede after the guy said Lizards are "boring" and "no fun to play." The thing is, he wasn't even playing well. He rushed me on defense and left huge holes for my skinks to slip through. Immediately after that I played a Dark Elf team who actually knew how to play against Lizardmen. He shut my poo poo down pretty well and easily won.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Haroshia posted:

Basically it's an issue in the design of the game in a public league situation. There's no advantage to winning big or disadvantage to losing big, so if a person thinks they can't win they'll just completely stop trying and start griefing while going :v: "IDS BLUDBOWL" . Meanwhile if you're a bashy team people will mash the concede button so fast rather than lose a few of their precious players.

Basically there's no fear to playing a finesse team, and getting a good game in a public league is a rarity. It's getting boring, especially with the limited team selections.

Do you know that in order to win against elves you actually have to foul the poo poo out of them? And given the disparity between the cost of your poo poo lineman and a wardancer or whatever it's dumb not to foul.

But cyanide made a huge mistake not releasing all the teams at once. Instead of it being like the first time when everyone kept upgrading to the new version people are just going to quit.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Raged posted:

I just had a Skink level up for the first time and got 12. Should I take Block, Sure hands or +Str

I'd take block, str is just not worth the tv bloat, you can get a more effective blitzer with break tackle on a saurus.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

I recommend fumbbl.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Where you'll run into people who know how to play and CPOMB you to 800 TV.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Play Ranked and pick shamelessly, problem solved.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I got my Chaos Team up to 1400 TV last night with increasingly better games. Then I faced this 1800TV High Elf team. Apart from his linemen all his positionals were lvl 3.

He started the game with a 2 turn TD against which there was very little I could do. Perfectly played. So I was already fearing I would get my rear end kicked.
My turn to receive now.

Have you guys ever heard of Ulgresh? Ulgresh is my Block/Mighty Blow Beastman.
In the next 5 turns he managed to get 2 deaths (first his thrower, then a catcher) and 2 injuries.

Then The Bull started doing his job too.

By the end of the match the elf player had 3 deaths, 6 injuries and 2 KO. I ended with 28SPP's and now Ulgresh also knows how to tackle.

I know Chaos is an easy team to play, but I don't care as it gives you so much satisfaction and pubbie tears. My friends on TS (who don't play BB) had no idea why I have been laughing like a maniac all evening.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

JackDarko posted:

I was the double injury start lizard team.

You did well for someone starting out. Mainly I'd recommend keeping your skinks away from enemy blockers, and to not let linemen distract your Saurus from attacking positionals and the ball carrier.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Washout posted:

Do you know that in order to win against elves you actually have to foul the poo poo out of them? And given the disparity between the cost of your poo poo lineman and a wardancer or whatever it's dumb not to foul.

But cyanide made a huge mistake not releasing all the teams at once. Instead of it being like the first time when everyone kept upgrading to the new version people are just going to quit.

I'm aware, but I'm talking 9 players around a Journeyman lineman fouling while I literally run the score up so high they can't possibly catch up. Zero effort to go after the ball carrier or even maybe screen the ball a bit. They're not doing this trying to win, they're doing it out of pure salt. I'm not bitching about them fouling my guys. I expect that. I'm bitching about how easy it is to win and how there's no penalty for them just nerdraging and trying to inflict casualties while they lose 4-0 or 5-0.

Basically the issue is I'm "winning" but barely breaking even on cash because if you win by 1 or by 5 it doesn't matter in terms of cash. I'm pretty much always down a player and am barely breaking even on cash. Meanwhile the bashy teams are getting tons of concedes which gives them fuckloads of gold plus more SPP...and it snowballs as their team gets more bashy. If the game is about managing risk versus reward in a public league, then playing a finesse team is more risk for less reward.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 30, 2015

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Washout posted:

Foul all elves, foul everything.

With the Welf talk I've been rocking my Bret team and they're actually a really good counter to Welves. 4 guys with Wrestle to take down Wardancers, poo poo line men to foul said Wardancers, and the Knights are block dudes.

I'm actually really liking Brets at the moment, kind of like Norse with 8 guys starting off with BD negates so after watching Yapo's stuff been doing a lot of fearless blocking :haw:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Haroshia posted:

I'm aware, but I'm talking 9 players around a Journeyman lineman fouling while I literally run the score up so high they can't possibly catch up. Zero effort to go after the ball carrier or even maybe screen the ball a bit. They're not doing this trying to win, they're doing it out of pure salt. I'm not bitching about them fouling my guys. I expect that. I'm bitching about how easy it is to win and how there's no penalty for them just nerdraging and trying to inflict casualties while they lose 4-0 or 5-0.

Basically the issue is I'm "winning" but barely breaking even on cash because if you win by 1 or by 5 it doesn't matter in terms of cash. I'm pretty much always down a player and am barely breaking even on cash. Meanwhile the bashy teams are getting tons of concedes which gives them fuckloads of gold plus more SPP...and it snowballs as their team gets more bashy. If the game is about managing risk versus reward in a public league, then playing a finesse team is more risk for less reward.

Once you decide that you've earned enough SPP and just want to get your guys out alive, start fouling with your favorite players to get them off the field and into the safety of the "Banned" box.

Not much else you can do, unfortunately.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Play Ranked and pick shamelessly, problem solved.

Although I do agree with this, I wanted to share that I nearly got pitch cleared by halflings in Ranked last night and also sustained a -ma to one of my Vampires when the little bastards fouled me on turn 16.

Of course it was my own fault for taking the match. I had played against the guy a long time ago and remembered him being a poor sport. Guy also had piling on Trees (usually a bad idea) and a 3st block tackle mighty blow halfling: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=258004. Nasty halfers.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I had a game vs chaos (I lost, 2-1), the last turn...didn't end. He didn't do anything the time got to 0:00...and nothing happened.

I got away from the computer for 5 minutes, he'd played his turn...and the counter was going down from 2:00 again. It went to 0:00 again...and stayed there for another 3 minutes before he tried to pick up the ball, failed, and got a turn over.

Thanks for THAT bug Cyanide.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Evernoob posted:

I got my Chaos Team up to 1400 TV last night with increasingly better games. Then I faced this 1800TV High Elf team. Apart from his linemen all his positionals were lvl 3.

He started the game with a 2 turn TD against which there was very little I could do. Perfectly played. So I was already fearing I would get my rear end kicked.
My turn to receive now.

Have you guys ever heard of Ulgresh? Ulgresh is my Block/Mighty Blow Beastman.
In the next 5 turns he managed to get 2 deaths (first his thrower, then a catcher) and 2 injuries.

Then The Bull started doing his job too.

By the end of the match the elf player had 3 deaths, 6 injuries and 2 KO. I ended with 28SPP's and now Ulgresh also knows how to tackle.

I know Chaos is an easy team to play, but I don't care as it gives you so much satisfaction and pubbie tears. My friends on TS (who don't play BB) had no idea why I have been laughing like a maniac all evening.

Elves are made for killing

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donnerberg posted:

Anecdotal evidence in this thread and at the steam forums suggest that rule is in.

Nuffle doesn't take kindly to leavers. :commissar:

It is kinda disappointing to hear how many concedes happen in the new game.

Are you able to safely concede if you cannot field the minimum LOS?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ocrumsprug posted:

It is kinda disappointing to hear how many concedes happen in the new game.

Are you able to safely concede if you cannot field the minimum LOS?

I haven't run into a < 3 player concede (yet... I play rats) but I believe that rule is still there.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I was playing in the NAF open league last night with my ~1300 human team. I got matched with an 1830 chaos team so I conceded during inducements. Then I got matched with a ~1600 chaos team where everything had block, claw, or mighty blow. So I conceded immediately.

Don't even feel bad about it.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
So, doubles on a Wardancer that has strip ball. What should I pick, Mighty Blow?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this may signal me out as an apostate but maybe there isnt much value in having perma-injuries in the game, since it just seems to encourage really bad behavior

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

this may signal me out as an apostate but maybe there isnt much value in having perma-injuries in the game, since it just seems to encourage really bad behavior

It makes it so you keep having to bring new players and not just have a stagnant team maxed out forever, and makes it so you care that much more for your Agi5 - leap - long legs chaos warrior.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I agree that winning and conceding should have appropriate rewards/penalties.

Actually what about this :
When a team concedes, its supporters storm the field and an injury roll is made for an amount of players equal to the fan factor of that team.
(Which means high TV team, that has won a lot of matches, and thus has high Fan factor -very dedicated fans- have to endure many more Injury rolls than a beginning team.)

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
I honestly couldnt care less about people conceding. If they do it you get double mvp and more money, so i dont really need to see the need for a punishment to the team.

I do think there should be bonus earnings for winning by a lot, like maybe 10k for every 2 TDs

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh, i know it has functions to the gameplay, but there's a lot of detriment that it causes, mainly the whole "i played a team and it knocked me 800 TV gg" problems and this "oh i just concede against bashy" sort of mindset. it winds up creating this sort of twisted meta where it doesn't matter if you win or lose a game, what matters is how you now have a hopelessly crippled team that makes playing certain teams/players just totally not worth it.

i mean its sort of an appropriate thing for people to just pussy out of playing against certain teams but ehhh

i think part of the issue is that replacing players is actually sort of a pain in the rear end, where you have to grind out a few games sometimes before some positional even become useful. i think that's what the player-buying mechanism is meant to alleviate, so losing a high ranked player doesn't just cripple you for x games.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Having perma-injuries kind of is the point of the game. I agree that it interacts awkwardly with perpetual open-matchmaking leagues, though. That format isn't really where Blood Bowl is at its best, although I don't have a great alternative that wouldn't require more active upkeep.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

ProZocK posted:

It makes it so you keep having to bring new players and not just have a stagnant team maxed out forever, and makes it so you care that much more for your Agi5 - leap - long legs chaos warrior.

They even added Ageing to counter the perma maxed out team. However I don't know how long a single player lasts (would be kind of cool that for example elves age much slower than humans, and orc likes even faster)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Stagger_Lee posted:

Having perma-injuries kind of is the point of the game. I agree that it interacts awkwardly with perpetual open-matchmaking leagues, though. That format isn't really where Blood Bowl is at its best, although I don't have a great alternative that wouldn't require more active upkeep.

yeah it makes a lot more sense in closed leagues with a set start/end point sort of deal and where you really want to win games even as you murder mans since thats the whole point of the deal (and where you'd not care as much about your team getting gutted since "gently caress you im winning the league")

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh, i know it has functions to the gameplay, but there's a lot of detriment that it causes, mainly the whole "i played a team and it knocked me 800 TV gg" problems and this "oh i just concede against bashy" sort of mindset. it winds up creating this sort of twisted meta where it doesn't matter if you win or lose a game, what matters is how you now have a hopelessly crippled team that makes playing certain teams/players just totally not worth it.

i mean its sort of an appropriate thing for people to just pussy out of playing against certain teams but ehhh

i think part of the issue is that replacing players is actually sort of a pain in the rear end, where you have to grind out a few games sometimes before some positional even become useful. i think that's what the player-buying mechanism is meant to alleviate, so losing a high ranked player doesn't just cripple you for x games.

I see your point, but i think most teams actually can do a good job with no skills on any player, and in the case of the ones who dont (Lizardmen Saurus and Chaos warriors come to mind) you really just need one skill for them to be worth it. What teams do you think become unplayable with a 800 drop in tv?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ProZocK posted:

I see your point, but i think most teams actually can do a good job with no skills on any player, and in the case of the ones who dont (Lizardmen Saurus and Chaos warriors come to mind) you really just need one skill for them to be worth it. What teams do you think become unplayable with a 800 drop in tv?

Ehhh unplayable is maybe too hard a phrase but there are teams that don't really do well at low TV, and its not really a fun thing to have happen to people, generally. Its more just a cost-benefit problem when you're in an open league and get pitted against 2500 TV Chaos Murderfuckers; sure you can maybe win but you probably won't and your attempt will potentially break your favorite doll men and cost you a lot of gold for a completely pointless pyrrhic victory, so why even play? It'd be nice to have a system where a person would look forward to playing games instead of running to the hills.

there's probably a really clever and effective solution out there but im too dumb to come up with it right now

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
^ Ya it's called matchmake based on coach rank and not team TV.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I was playing in the NAF open league last night with my ~1300 human team. I got matched with an 1830 chaos team so I conceded during inducements. Then I got matched with a ~1600 chaos team where everything had block, claw, or mighty blow. So I conceded immediately.

Don't even feel bad about it.

Why would you? Conceding without a bunch of sperglord admins getting up in your poo poo is the best thing about blood bowl 2 (also mouse-over tooltips).

barkbell fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 30, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I can't remember if this is implemented anywhere or is even a thing since LRB4 but at one point if you conceded, each of your level 4 and higher players was supposed to roll dice to see if they just leave the team out of disgust.

Obviously because Cyanide can't deal with cordpulling, it is a bit harder to stop that from happening. The only other solution is moderation, as in "This guy has a history of mysteriously disconnecting against bash teams so we report and kick him"

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Also if you think the blood bowls rules are any good outside of your local gameshop league you are a lovely blood bowl apologist or autistic, probably both.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Ehhh unplayable is maybe too hard a phrase but there are teams that don't really do well at low TV, and its not really a fun thing to have happen to people, generally. Its more just a cost-benefit problem when you're in an open league and get pitted against 2500 TV Chaos Murderfuckers; sure you can maybe win but you probably won't and your attempt will potentially break your favorite doll men and cost you a lot of gold for a completely pointless pyrrhic victory, so why even play? It'd be nice to have a system where a person would look forward to playing games instead of running to the hills.

there's probably a really clever and effective solution out there but im too dumb to come up with it right now

The solution is to play in the Goonleague, where funhaving happens and we all seem to play to win. 28 teams for now, we need a shitload more...especially around 8-10pm EST.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lol if u think im buying bb2 :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ProZocK posted:

So, doubles on a Wardancer that has strip ball. What should I pick, Mighty Blow?

Juggernaut. Dear christ get juggernaut.

• Locked thread