Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Filboid Studge posted:

The New Statesman is a loving terrible magazine.

Yes it is, and it has got noticeably worse since Corbyn looked like he might win. What has attracted your ire specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jose posted:

he got 70.6% of the vote and anyone in london could have signed up for £1. Most people probably had no idea though since the tories weren't exactly advertising it taking place

So what you're saying is that if this had been public knowledge and people could stomach chucking a quid into the Conservative coffers we could have democratically hosed up their mayoral hopes?

Granted, this would have been a teeny bit hypocritical given the entryism on the Labour leadership election but still..

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

If anyone wants in on the Metal Gear/Trident party I used Word Replacer 2 on the Chrome app page. Took about ten seconds to set up:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/word-replacer-ii/djakfbefalbkkdgnhkkdiihelkjdpbfh?hl=en

Apologies in advance if the app turns out to be a Russian mob front for stealing cc numbers.

Thank you for this.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mr. Flunchy posted:

So what you're saying is that if this had been public knowledge and people could stomach chucking a quid into the Conservative coffers we could have democratically hosed up their mayoral hopes?

Granted, this would have been a teeny bit hypocritical given the entryism on the Labour leadership election but still..
<10,000 voters after the Labour election looks sad and pathetic all on it's own, though.

Were any of the other candidates definite losers? I, like apparently everybody else, paid zero attention to the contest.

I was going to say some posho scion of the aristocracy might not be the best candidate in London, but well...

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Holy poo poo, I'm just now watching that dreadful Eamonn Holmes interview with Corbyn. When did Eamonn turn into a petulant child? I know Sky's scummy, but does he really think he comes across well with nothing but gainsaying?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

XMNN posted:

<10,000 voters after the Labour election looks sad and pathetic all on it's own, though.

Were any of the other candidates definite losers? I, like apparently everybody else, paid zero attention to the contest.

I was going to say some posho scion of the aristocracy might not be the best candidate in London, but well...

Nah, not really. An MEP, son of immigrants from Guyana, the Deputy Mayor for Policing & Crime who went to the same school as Gideon, & the Leader of the Tories in the London Assembly who is also a libertarian called Boff. I guess Boff is pretty out there but I can see that libertarianism being popular in a lot of London. They did a decent job of keeping the Bill Cash types out of the contest, which is a shame.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

How many voted in the Labour mayoral candidate election? I know the leadership election was huge, but how much of that carried over?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Darth Walrus posted:

How many voted in the Labour mayoral candidate election? I know the leadership election was huge, but how much of that carried over?

About 88,000 people.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
also while laughing about Zac Goldsmith remember that his mum gave him £50,000 for his campaign. "please mum can I be mayor? Jemima gets all the attention"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

also while laughing about Zac Goldsmith remember that his mum gave him £50,000 for his campaign. "please mum can I be mayor? Jemima gets all the attention"

Wonder what his total spend is because even £50,000 to win under 7000 votes is ridiculous.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope that Sadiq Khan wins the mayoral election because he seems like an okay person and also to see the reactions in the Freep thread.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I read that Goldsmith spent the cash surveying his constituency to make sure they'd be okay with him running for mayor alongside being their MP. Which is quite a decent gesture tbh.

I thought he got the nomination months ago, I had no idea they were even doing a vote.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

im sure hes a very nice billionaire heir

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Phoon posted:

im sure hes a very nice billionaire heir

he might be nice as billionaire heirs go, it's not as if that's difficult. For example he does seem to acknowledge that climate change is a thing that exists, that's nice

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In his twenties Zac Goldsmith vanished into the Himalayas and spent six months living an ascetic existence in a monastic ashram. He emerged from this spiritual awakening as a prospective Conservative MP.

What a lovely enlightenment.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Has Goldsmith done anything particularly reprehensible other than being part of the moneyed elite?

His green credentials seem reasonably strong.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Mr. Flunchy posted:

In his twenties Zac Goldsmith vanished into the Himalayas and spent six months living an ascetic existence in a monastic ashram. He emerged from this spiritual awakening as a prospective Conservative MP.

The Ashram of the Invisible Hand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Flunchy posted:

*lives a life of asceticism in a monastery*
Hmm, looks like austerity does make people productive.

*sits alone on a mountain ledge with nothing but rocks and ice for miles around*
Yup, not much unemployment around here.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

billionheir

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In really neat news, the University of Birmingham have found fragments of a Koran in their archives that appear to be almost as old as Islam itself. The researchers and local imams are appropriately hyped.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Didn't pre-selection polling show Khan would lose to Goldsmith?

I know there was some talk of the Greens giving second preferences to Goldsmith due to his meaty ecology credentials and focus on direct democracy - that could come in handy.

edit: checked and it looks like there are conflicting polls

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 2, 2015

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Comrade Corbyn crashed a hen-do... or rather got on a train which included a hen party

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OvineYeast posted:

The Labour party will overwhelmingly support him. The FT is talking out of its arse.

I suppose a good proportion of members would support him. The Blairite rump in the PLP might resist the idea, though.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TinTower posted:

I suppose a good proportion of members would support him. The Blairite rump in the PLP might resist the idea, though.

it's a really obvious vote-grabber, and they saw what happened to the lib dems when clegg backed off on it. there's no way the party is dumb enough to close him down on this

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

willie_dee posted:

Do you really have faith in America to act in the UK's best interests?

I have faith in America to act in order to maintain its hegemony, and NATO is a key part of that. In other words, the UK will be protected by a nuclear deterrent regardless of what Corbyn does or doesn't do.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

They announced this months ago but it's on display now until the end of the month. I will probably head over at some point, its a pretty cool discovery

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
So my home is set for even more cuts to the police forces. Good thing they have those Trident missiles to keep them safe!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

it's a really obvious vote-grabber, and they saw what happened to the lib dems when clegg backed off on it. there's no way the party is dumb enough to close him down on this

I have faith in the PLP

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

V. Illych L. posted:

lol

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I hope that Sadiq Khan wins the mayoral election because he seems like an okay person and also to see the reactions in the Freep thread.

Khan is a tosspot who got given the shadow justice brief and then said he 'might' think about not slashing legal aid any further if Labour won the election.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Are you, by any chance, high?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

So I've just got an invite to a Labour 'European Training Event'. It's for "people to learn more about the EU and how you can make positive arguments about what the EU brings".

Has anyone been to anything similar and knows what to expect? Is it just going to be Babby's First EU or is it likely to be interesting and/or informative?

Edit:

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Khan is a tosspot who got given the shadow justice brief and then said he 'might' think about not slashing legal aid any further if Labour won the election.

This is a loving outrage. Hopefully Corbae will have something to say on the topic.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 2, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rolled Cabbage posted:

How does he rank against the other mayoral candidates though? Best of a bad bunch? (Do Pigeon and the others have any hope in hell of winning?)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, cool, it is on show now? Might go visit it on Monday since I study there right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm sure the met won't be happy with a mayor who's repeatedly taken them to court

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Guavanaut posted:

I doubt Freep would care, but their counterparts at Guido Fawkes seem convinced Khan has it in the bag due to immigrants/Londonistan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Freep were blowing up over the whole 'Muslim no-go zones in England' / 'Sharia law already in place' thing when that was on Fox, so they might do. As might Fox.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Comrade Corbyn crashed a hen-do... or rather got on a train which included a hen party

This wouldn't have happened if they had their own train carriages

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

This wouldn't have happened if they had their own train carriages

Heh.

This article about domestic slavery and caste discrimination in the UK is bad enough, but I just saw this and spat feathers:

quote:

The Legal Aid Agency initially refused to fund her representation for 17 months on the grounds that her case was not of “sufficient importance or seriousness”, and that it was “only a claim for money”.

Someone really, really, needs to sort this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

i'm sure the met won't be happy with a mayor who's repeatedly taken them to court

Main reason I'll be voting for him tbh

• Locked thread