Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Glad you've come to realize that gun owners do not trust Democrats, nor ever will. That's just the way things are, and until the law changes the NRA runs the show on American gun culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nonsense posted:

Glad you've come to realize that gun owners do not trust Democrats, nor ever will. That's just the way things are, and until the law changes the NRA runs the show on American gun culture.

The single issue gun owner isn't voting for Democrats anyway because of brown immigrants or because the president is a Muslim or some other batshit insane silliness. They don't need their trust.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Grundulum posted:

Please please tell me this actually happened in one of the issues. I've had enough poo poo today in my Facebook feed that I could use some cheering up.

Is not an exact quote but pretty closely paraphrased from the Adam West movie.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Most SA gun evangelists claim to be Democrats they just say borderline murderous things about a sitting woman Senator from the Democratic Party every chance offered.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The single issue gun owner isn't voting for Democrats anyway because of brown immigrants or because the president is a Muslim or some other batshit insane silliness. They don't need their trust.

Alas, we have had multiple goons say they believe in climate change, immigration reform, gay marriage, etc. but they voted Republican because guns.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

Most SA gun evangelists claim to be Democrats they just say borderline murderous things about a sitting woman Senator from the Democratic Party every chance offered.

Hillary's not sitting anymore.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So though the names of the victims haven't been released yet, what has leaked is that the 7 wounded were all women. Which is an odd coincidence unless he was targeting them.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's a really poor explanation for the NRA and other pro-Second Amendment groups' ability to get out the vote. Their war chest is small potatoes compared to most lobbies, but their members are known for showing up at the polls. A lobby financed by firearm and ammo manufacturers wouldn't be a blip on the Washington circuit.

I think the simple explanation is that gun owners are the ones who stand to lose something. Aside from a few grieving parents of shooting victims, most of the pro-gun control base has no stake in the issue aside from emotion, and their engagement reflects that. For gun owners, every proposal resricts their ability to buy or sell or transport or repair their guns. All gun owners have at the very least a financial investment tied up in a physical object they own. They also have no reason to compromise: the most generous proposals from the other side come out to, "let us ban what we want now, and maybe we won't ban something else later," a promise that gun owners have no reason to believe is sincere in the wake of the NY SAFE Act.

Guns are more important than lives in America

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Go to a union meeting in a red state and you see the same dynamic at play. Cultural issues way over ride economic or association ones, which is a lot of how the GOP is so strong there.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I actively vote against my own interests as a gun owner because I align with the democratic party when it comes to pretty much everything else.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Fried Chicken posted:

So though the names of the victims haven't been released yet, what has leaked is that the 7 wounded were all women. Which is an odd coincidence unless he was targeting them.

Typical beta-male.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trabisnikof posted:

Alas, we have had multiple goons say they believe in climate change, immigration reform, gay marriage, etc. but they voted Republican because guns.

I know there are people like that on here but they are a special kind of complete moron and don't really make up any relevant portion of the electorate thankfully.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
In other news, someone tried to burn down the Planned Parenthood office in Thousand Oaks, California:

http://www.ppactionca.org/news/arson-at-thousand-oaks.html

The one black guy who lives in the city among the swarm of WASPs is quoted as saying "Wow that's pretty hosed up man."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Typical beta-male.

I see they got to your avatar.

Mercury_Storm posted:

In other news, someone tried to burn down the Planned Parenthood office in Thousand Oaks, California:

http://www.ppactionca.org/news/arson-at-thousand-oaks.html

The one black guy who lives in the city among the swarm of WASPs is quoted as saying "Wow that's pretty hosed up man."

Obviously it was carried out by a true patriot :911:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That were a couple where an armed guy heading into a building full of people were stopped by a guy with a gun.

The problem, though, is that mass shooters aren't just going on a rampage on the spot. They specifically pick where to murder people based on ability to ambush a large and unarmed group. That's why nobody shoots up a Walmart, they target, eg, schools, where carrying a gun is illegal and therefore nobody law-abiding is armed.

you know they've done studies on this whole idea, it turns out the absolute worst thing you could do is try shooting the guy because you'll probably end up shooting more innocent people because it turns out that the averge schmoe with a gun is not john mcclane in a moment of sheer panic, also it increases your chance of being dead because now they're shooting at you, specifically

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

CommieGIR posted:

I see they got to your avatar.

:10bux: that won't go toward cheap ammo, I reckon.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

DarkCrawler posted:

Ok this is the Second Amendment:

To me as a foreigner, both "Well-regulated militia" and "the people" seems to indicate some sort of an collective effort, not "Everyone gets a gun!" I never see anyone talk about this in U.S. media though. Supreme Court apparently made it so that it doesn't matter?

Going to poke in here with a small history lesson that may explain this a bit better.

"The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: "If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations."

1714: "The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world."

1812: "The equation of time ... is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial."

1848: "A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor."

1862: "It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding."

1894: "The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city."

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected"

The reasoning was that it takes a long time to properly teach someone how to shoot, and it requires constant practice. It's like Golf, not like Riding a Bike.

The problem was, that so many people simply couldn't shoot, so when called up for military service, you wound up with rather lackluster performance. This isn't just something dealt with during Revolutionary times, either. During the Civil war, northern generals were appalled at the quality of their own troops compared to the quality of southern troops - Southern troops, largely being poor folk who hunted for sustainence, could handle a rifle REALLY WELL, because they'd been doing it for years, or they'd go hungry. Northern troops, largely came from cities, and never had any experience using a gun. After the war was over, a group of Northern generals decided "Hey, let's start promoting riflery and shooting so in case this poo poo ever happens again, we've got people who know how to use the drat things already". And so they created the National Rifle Association.

Fast-forward 50 years to after the spanish-american war and world war 1: Same poo poo, Different War. American troops from the south could shoot, but northerners were pretty bad at it. The NRA was helping a bit with this but the government decided "You know what? This is a recurring problem. Maybe it's because guns are too expensive for most folks to buy, how about we subsidize it by selling off our old Kragg's really dirt cheap and get people into rifle matches?" and thus the Civilian Marksmanship Program was launched.

Both are still around, the NRA has kinda morphed into a political monster for the republican party due to a lot of history that could take pages to write about, but the CMP is still doing it's thing - if you join any CMP related shooting activity, you can get surplus rifles shipped directly to your door.

So, with that context in mind, and the dictionary definitions above, take another look at the amendment:

" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Now, who has the right to keep and bear arms? and why?

Compare and contrast that with a similarly structured sentence:

"A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

Who has the right to keep and read books? and why?

It's stuff like this (The evolving meaning of words) that got me into etymology to begin with. "Guy" is another fascinating one - it's gone from describing someone who dresses like a slob and acts like an rear end, to being an average person, in a very short amount of time.

All that aside, We *CAN* regulate (using the more modern meaning here) firearms without restricting the people's right to keep and bear them. The problem is that as usual, extremists have hijacked the conversation, so it's pretty much turned into one side wanting to ban as much as possible, or make things as onorous as possible for owners without regard for if they'd actually be an effective piece of legislation, and the other side who wants to open carry their AR-15 to kindergarten.

I'm of the belief that the single most effective piece of legislation we could introduce would be adding handguns to the NFA registry. However as a political reality, you'd have to write in some quid-pro-quo's to appease the more right-wing on the issue and assure them it's not just a plan to eventually close the registry or confiscate them once registered. Something like removing the LEO signoff requirement (many LEO's refuse to sign any NFA items no matter what, many only sign off for their friends and donors, or reserve them for political favors), and re-opening the closed registry, would probably be enough, and neither would have an impact in weapons being misused. (NFA items simply aren't used for crimes, people who take the time and effort to jump through the hoops etc etc, and people have been bypassing LEO sign-offs with trusts for decades, again, people who take the time to jump through legal hoops aren't the type to go on a spree killing or get involved with gang warfare).

This wouldn't even violate the Heller decision, and would very strictly control handguns, which are the vast majority of misused firearms. (Violation of NFA stuff is a FEDERAL offense).

That's my take on it, anyways.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Literally The Worst posted:

you know they've done studies on this whole idea
Link?

Edit: I have journal access if you have a title.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

From a few pages back, but it wouldn't surprise me. I didn't consider the details but things like the odd "religious liberty" question and phrasing it as a matter of "conscientious objection" sure seemed oddly timed and strangely misinformed about the whole Davis situation that I have been wondering if it was a setup by someone or other for political aims.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nonsense posted:

Very few people here like Feinstein and if they do they shouldn't, she's terrible on a wide range of issues whether or not you like her positions on guns.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

fknlo posted:

Anyone have a source on this? Can't seem to find one.

If true, that's one smart dude.

This tweet is the thing I'd read earlier; I haven't seen the interview in question, though, so I can't speak to its veracity.

fakeedit: After further looking around, here's a ThinkProgress piece that embeds the video.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Literally The Worst posted:

you know they've done studies on this whole idea, it turns out the absolute worst thing you could do is try shooting the guy because you'll probably end up shooting more innocent people because it turns out that the averge schmoe with a gun is not john mcclane in a moment of sheer panic, also it increases your chance of being dead because now they're shooting at you, specifically

It also ignores what happens if there TWO Good Guys With Guns and who do they fire at in a chaotic situation when all three people are firing and how do you know who the bad shooter is. The fact that we have politicians advocating vigilantes as a solution for spree shooters is absolutely insane, especially since it rarely, if ever, works the way it's supposed to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nonsense posted:

In a nutshell, that's why the talk about preferring social programs is hollow. Never mind that Feinstein is among a fringe on the gun issue and the mainstream wants a better-controlled sales/transfer system, occasionally calling for unenforceable mag size limits. Never mind that a party running on social progress would be passing social programs first anyway. The choice between "no change to the purported social root causes" and "change to the social root causes with a non-zero-but-not-a-given chance to address the proliferation of small arms in the US" always gets answered with preference for the former. The implication is that the world can burn as long as they keep a 30-rd mag in their Bushmaster.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Radish posted:

It also ignores what happens if there TWO Good Guys With Guns and who do they fire at in a chaotic situation when all three people are firing and how do you know who the bad shooter is. The fact that we have politicians advocating vigilantes as a solution for spree shooters is absolutely insane, especially since it rarely, if ever, works the way it's supposed to.

No, but see I'm John loving Wayne because I'm really good at shooting stationary paper targets at a leisurely pace in a controlled environment with eye and ear protection.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Business wing of the GOP gearing up to nuke the conservative wing

quote:

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce plans to shatter its previous political spending records during the 2016 elections in a campaign aimed not only at defeating Democrats but also at winning back the soul of the Republican Party.

The nation’s largest business lobby has set out to exceed its $70 million tab from the 2014 elections with as much as $100 million in campaign spending — a huge outlay that reflects the business community’s determination to prevail in its ongoing war with GOP conservatives.

On the other side, right-wing groups also view the elections as a crucial path to victory in their tactical and policy brawls with House and Senate GOP leaders. And conservatives believe they have new wind at their backs now after scoring a major win with Speaker John A. Boehner’s surprise resignation.

The goal of the chamber and other like-minded industry organizations is clear: Elect business-friendly Republicans in contested primaries to strengthen their hand during policy debates on the Hill. Some of business’ top targets in 2016 will be right-wing, tea party candidates, the types that have bucked the corporate agenda in Congress by supporting government shutdowns, opposing an immigration overhaul and attempting to close the Export-Import Bank.

“We made it quite clear last cycle: The gang that wants to shut down the government, that’s a clear contrast to what the business community agrees is best for economic growth,” says Scott Reed, the chamber’s senior political strategist.

The Business-Industry Political Action Committee, now under the leadership of former representative and moderate Republican Jim Gerlach of Pennsylvania, also plans to outpace its previous investments in campaigns.

Though Gerlach won’t put a price tag on BIPAC’s plans, he says the goal is to increase its previous hauls, which in 2012 hit about $500,000 and in 2014 about $140,000.

“There’s going to be a lot of important House races in the ’16 cycle, and there’s no doubt in open seat situations in particular, there may be situations where business is at odds with conservative groups,” Gerlach says. “And that’s OK. That’s what the process is for.”

The chamber this year launched $3 million in election ads by mid-summer as it aimed to cut through the noise in battleground states that will decide not only the next president but, of more relevance to the chamber, control of the Senate.

“The chamber is now operating in a 24-month cycle,” Reed says. “That’s new.” He adds, “This is the earliest we’ve ever spent money.”

Conservative organizations believe they, too, are within reach of stacking Congress with more kindred spirits.

The business community’s legislative priorities include expanding free trade and a tax overhaul — which puts industry in accord with conservative groups. But pitting it against the right wing, business also wants immigration law changes, supports Ex-Im and fiercely opposes government shutdowns. Conservative organizations warn that if business groups focus too much on shutdowns and Ex-Im, that could put their shared goals in peril.

“The candidates we’re going to identify and support will be the best candidates to get you regulatory relief, corporate tax reform, free trade,” says David McIntosh, a former House member from Indiana who now runs the conservative Club for Growth, which derides Ex-Im as “crony capitalism.” “If they make Ex-Im a litmus test, I think that doesn’t serve the business community at all, and we’ll fight them,” he says.

Early Starts

The chamber and other business-aligned organizations, taking their cues from ideological conservative groups that have worked to oust or boost candidates in primaries, no longer want to wait until general elections.

“It used to be the business community would hold off in primary situations,” Gerlach says. “Now there is more and more a recognition that the election for some districts is the primary.”

BIPAC is looking at the open Nevada seat being vacated by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, as well as Senate races in Illinois and Ohio.

The chamber’s early ad buys, so far, include support for incumbent Republican Sens. Patrick J. Toomey of Pennsylvania, John McCain of Arizona and Mark S. Kirk of Illinois, who is spearheading the effort to renew Ex-Im. The group also funded spots in support of Republican Rep. Joe Heck’s effort in the Nevada contest to replace Reid.

The chamber, in a roundabout way, is helping Ohio Republican Sen. Rob Portman by running ads against Democrat Ted Strickland, a former governor, who is in a primary battle for the chance to take on Portman. Stickland is considered a stronger opponent for the incumbent senator.

Many of those races don’t pit business against ideological conservatives — protecting Toomey is also a priority for such organizations as the Club for Growth — but that belies some of the coming vitriol, especially in House contests where both sides are sizing up their potential fields.

Business stakeholders, for example, are eyeing primary challengers to Rep. Tim Huelskamp, a Kansas Republican, who has taken a conservative hard line against such industry priorities as the Export-Import Bank and supports cutting off all government funding in order to deprive Planned Parenthood of taxpayer money.

Huelskamp’s primary opponents include Roger Marshall, a doctor, and Alan LaPolice, a student-retention specialist at a community college.

McIntosh says his group would go all out against the business community to support Huelskamp, who twice voted against Boehner over the speakership.

The club has made just one endorsement in a House race — offering its support for Jim Banks, a conservative candidate to replace Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., who is running for Senate. But, McIntosh says, the group will weigh in on many more races.

“In the House, you have a leadership that have repeatedly failed to deliver on the promises to conservatives, so the goal there is to elect more members who are going to put a stake in the ground,” McIntosh says.

Conservatives, he says, “are increasingly getting frustrated by the speaker and leadership saying, ‘Oh, sorry, we cut a deal with Nancy Pelosi.’ ”

Recruits Needed

Conservative groups are stepping up their “scouting” of potential candidates, McIntosh says.

But so now are folks on the side of business.

“The business community has to get out there and try and recruit people that are going to be good,” says Kathryn Lehman, a Republican lobbyist at Holland & Knight, who chairs her firm’s PAC. “You can’t wait until you’ve come down to the general election. It’s more work, and it takes more planning. But your money is, arguably, more important and you give yourself more options, if you get involved in the front end.”

The business community’s 2016 election effort won’t only be about money.

Gerlach, who took the helm of BIPAC this year, says he’s making voter education and grassroots organization among corporate employees a priority — encouraging workers to register to vote and to show up at the polls.

“There’s a lot of recognition that it’s such a hugely important election cycle and who gets elected matters,” Gerlach says. “But I’m still not sure yet how much employees understand the importance of their actual participation in the process, so that’s going to be our job to educate them.”

Companies that find themselves on the front lines of the business-versus-conservatives battle say their employees are increasingly tuned in and motivated to donate.

“Our employees certainly are more interested than they have been in the past, and they’ve been very interested in the past,” says Gordon Johndroe, a Boeing vice president for communications who previously was deputy White House press secretary and National Security Council spokesman during the George W. Bush administration.

Boeing, one of the Export-Import Bank’s biggest customers, has been lobbying for its renewal. The company’s PAC is the fifth biggest corporate PAC, with nearly $700,000 in donations so far this cycle, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

“We are not a single-issue PAC, but in general we support candidates who support issues of importance to Boeing,” Johndroe says. “We’re going to look for candidates who take a pragmatic approach and understand that we work in a global business environment. We need Congress to be supportive of American manufacturers if we’re going to compete against overseas rivals.”

Of course, Republicans aren’t the only ones with internal strife, as Reed of the chamber points out. The outcome of Democratic primaries, such as in the Ohio or Florida Senate contests, may position pro-business Republicans as strong or weak.

In the Florida Senate race to replace Republican Marco Rubio, who is running for president, hard-core liberal Rep. Alan Grayson is running in the Democratic primary against Rep. Patrick Murphy. Business groups say they hope their preferred candidates benefit from such divisions.

“We’re all wearing down our knee pads praying he’s the nominee,” Reed says of Grayson.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Never mind that a party running on social progress would be passing social programs first anyway.
Fuckin' laffo.

Do you live in the same America I do or some kind of parallel America where the Democrats aren't worthless shitbags concerned only with stroking the cocks of their corporate paymasters?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I remember back in college a dude went off the deeper end and starting shoot at people. The good guy with the gun came to the rescue and got himself shot. Afterwards police determined that he did absolutely nothing but get himself shot as the perpetrator later shot himself.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

No, but see I'm John loving Wayne because I'm really good at shooting stationary paper targets at a leisurely pace in a controlled environment with eye and ear protection.

I have a co-worker that thinks he will be able to run out to his car to grab his gun then come back in and save the day if we have a shooting at my job.

DemeaninDemon posted:

I remember back in college a dude went off the deeper end and starting shoot at people. The good guy with the gun came to the rescue and got himself shot. Afterwards police determined that he did absolutely nothing but get himself shot as the perpetrator later shot himself.

This reminds me of the guy that tried to stop those Tea Party shooters and while he was sneaking up on the man, his girlfriend snuck up on him and shot him. TWO SHOOTERS!? That's just not fair.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DarkCrawler posted:

Ok this is the Second Amendment:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As I see it, if you're not serving in the national guard reserve, you don't get to own a gun, because you're not part of a well regulated militia. :colbert:

Also, I want a pony, and lasting peace in Israel and Palestine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radish posted:

I have a co-worker that thinks he will be able to run out to his car to grab his gun then come back in and save the day if we have a shooting at my job.

They did this test in Texas where they setup a scenario simulating a workplace shooting.

Not a one of the concealed carry guys were able to stop him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

There are a couple others. But, basically, casual range shooters are never going to have the same reaction speed as an undercover cop or a SWAT member.

And then you have the recent incident where a Good Guy with a Gun shot a carjacking victim instead of the Carjacker, and then tried to cover it up and fled.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Mister Macys posted:

As I see it, if you're not serving in the national guard reserve, you don't get to own a gun, because you're not part of a well regulated militia. :colbert:

Also, I want a pony, and lasting peace in Israel and Palestine.

Ponies are assholes don't wish for a pony

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Radish posted:

I think at least 60% of the gun obsession is due to the potential hero complex.

I would never accidentally kill a family member after hearing a strange noise in my house.
I would never accidentally leave my gun accessible to a child or criminal.
I would never turn my firearm on my spouse in the heat of an argument.
I would never accidentally shoot the victim while intervening in a situation.
I would never panic in a hail of gunfire and bloodshed.

It's pretty consistent with the faux machismo that permeates US conservative culture.

I would never accept food stamps, I'd grow a garden or work eight part time jobs. :clint:

It's dumb. Big Dumb Politics.

And we have idiots foaming at the mouth to support/perpetuate it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

national guard reserve
How would that work? Be in the reserves 2 days a month?

TBQH we're probably all better off the fewer guns loving Guardsmen are allowed to touch. If the Army could find some way to inflict the National Guard on America's enemies we'd never lose another war.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“We’re all wearing down our knee pads praying he’s the nominee,” Reed says of Grayson.

:raise:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Did anyone see anything to that effect in his 4chan thread? I only got so far in before it started looking too much like a games thread.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How would that work? Be in the reserves 2 days a month?

TBQH we're probably all better off the fewer guns loving Guardsmen are allowed to touch. If the Army could find some way to inflict the National Guard on America's enemies we'd never lose another war.

As long as you go every other weekend, you get to buy and keep firearms more dangerous than a bolt-action rifle. When you retire/quit, you have to sell them.

I like to think of it as an indirect way of registering crazies with the state.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

They did this test in Texas where they setup a scenario simulating a workplace shooting.

Not a one of the concealed carry guys were able to stop him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

There are a couple others. But, basically, casual range shooters are never going to have the same reaction speed as an undercover cop or a SWAT member.

And then you have the recent incident where a Good Guy with a Gun shot a carjacking victim instead of the Carjacker, and then tried to cover it up and fled.

There was also a test at some college, the study wasn't rigorously scientific but the shooter won every time- because they already had the gun out and were aiming it long before the heroic concealed carry could get their guns out.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

As long as you go every other weekend, you get to buy and keep firearms more dangerous than a bolt-action rifle. When you retire/quit, you have to sell them.
Hmm yes this is a well considered opinion we should all join the National Guard Reserve, an organization with a proud history.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

the study wasn't rigorously scientific but
Is the "I'm not racist but..." of science.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Hmm yes this is a well considered opinion we should all join the National Guard Reserve, an organization with a proud history.

Why track guns when you can just track the owners much more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

Why track guns when you can just track the owners much more easily.
I didn't know the National Guard Reserve had such an advanced tracking system. Tell me more.

• Locked thread