Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Kobo Touch 2.0 about to be released., $20 cheaper than the equivalent basic Kindle /w special offers. Chapters might have started selling it too early, the link to their web site got removed.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did you try contacting Amazon? They may replace the screen or offer you a refurbished one at a discount.

I... I'm going to check into this.

Just assumed I was hosed. Forgot how good their customer service is.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Just a heads up for anyone wanting a paperwhite. Best Buy student coupons this month have codes for $20 off the new models, if my google-fu of the SKU's is correct.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I didn't receive an Amazon coupon so this might work.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I wasn't expecting to ever see this happen again.

http://goodereader.com/blog/e-reader/barnes-and-noble-has-two-new-nook-e-readers

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Looks like their speculation was off, what ended up launching today was the Nook-branded 8" Galaxy Tab S2: http://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-nook-8-inch-tablet/379004444

There have been rumors circling around about a new e-ink reader, and I got another survey from B&N a while ago asking about e-reader preferences, but I think that's all it is at this point, rumors. The e-ink market seems pretty stagnant all around, everyone's focus is on tablets.

I still want to see color e-ink displays and stuff like that, but I don't think the demand is there at all. And I do have to admit I haven't read much in a while anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

smr posted:

I... I'm going to check into this.

Just assumed I was hosed. Forgot how good their customer service is.

Good luck, Amazons customer service has been very good for me.

And if you bought it with a credit card, check their replacement policy. Especially if you used an AMEX. They double your warranty on the green card and above.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Looks like their speculation was off, what ended up launching today was the Nook-branded 8" Galaxy Tab S2: http://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-nook-8-inch-tablet/379004444

That's lame. I would've liked to have seen a 8" eink reader, particularly at the bargain basement prices the nook hardware has always plummeted to.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Speaking of Nooks, someone just gave me a Nook Simple Touch they weren't using. I already have a Kindle so I don't feel too bad about messing with the software on this thing. Anybody tried one of the fastmode apps once rooted? I'm curious to know if it offers any improvement for normal reading or if it's only good if you're trying to force the poor ereader to do way more than it ever should.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Are any ereaders notably more durable than others? I'm planning a potential multiple month outing during which the reader will be used outside "in the wild" and carried in a camping backpack. I'll be charging it if needed via solar.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Are any ereaders notably more durable than others? I'm planning a potential multiple month outing during which the reader will be used outside "in the wild" and carried in a camping backpack. I'll be charging it if needed via solar.

Do you think you could just get a sturdy case that could accomplish that? Generally speaking the e-readers themselves are pretty sturdy but the screens are a little delicate. I dunno how you plan on using it in the wild so hard to say.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vyst posted:

Do you think you could just get a sturdy case that could accomplish that? Generally speaking the e-readers themselves are pretty sturdy but the screens are a little delicate. I dunno how you plan on using it in the wild so hard to say.

Definitely possible. I'm just feeling out my options.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Ereaders are a bit fragile, especially around the screen. They don't react well to flexing or pressure on the screen. Your best bet is to find a decent case with a hard cover and make sure the reader has a slightly recessed screen so the case doesn't put pressure on it when compressed.

If you're going to be someplace with cell phone coverage and you can't tether to a cell phone you'll have with you, you might consider a 3G reader which will allow you to purchase new books while away. There's a decent price premium for doing so though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Def just get a sturdy case, and if water is a concern, maybe just put it in a ziplock / sealed bag.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Don't some of the newer, higher-end readers have a layer of glass over the screen? Maybe the Kindle Voyage or the Kobo Aura HD? I managed to elbow my first kindle to death after I fell asleep reading one night, so the screen is definitely the first place they could improve durability.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

As an aside, most portable solar chargers are complete balls and won't meet the energy requirements of a single smartphone over a day unless you're trekking between the tropics in open sky. Unless you really expect not to see any mains power for days and days at a time, charging up a couple of larger-size battery packs will be less of a ball-ache. Amazon do deep price cuts on these often.
If solar is your only option plan around getting only 25% of anything the manufacturer claims as output, because real-world usage kinda blows.
If you don't mind the weight the larger panels are usually much better - Anker do a 14W one that should be sufficient power in imperfect conditions.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Khablam posted:

As an aside, most portable solar chargers are complete balls and won't meet the energy requirements of a single smartphone over a day unless you're trekking between the tropics in open sky. Unless you really expect not to see any mains power for days and days at a time, charging up a couple of larger-size battery packs will be less of a ball-ache. Amazon do deep price cuts on these often.
If solar is your only option plan around getting only 25% of anything the manufacturer claims as output, because real-world usage kinda blows.
If you don't mind the weight the larger panels are usually much better - Anker do a 14W one that should be sufficient power in imperfect conditions.

I'm actually experienced with solar charging of gadgets. I charge a 13000mah battery pack with a RAVpower 15W folding panel and then charge gadgets from the battery pack as needed. Works well.

I've found the main problem with the majority of solar chargers is crappy charging circuitry that won't re-up the charging power when a shadow crosses the panel momentarily.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a Kobo Mini which I loved very gently for two years, and then its battery went to poo poo. It runs for about ten minutes before using its battery to flip most pixels to black and declare itself in need of a charge. I have an older Amazon Kindle Keyboard that I used equally as much and its battery is still great.

I really liked the font choices of the Kobo, I really like using Pocket with it, and I liked being able to thumb my nose at Amazon, but I wonder, are other Kobo ereaders as horribly lovely in long-term battery life, or perhaps did they just cheap out on the Mini? I do realize what an odd question I'm asking, who in their right mind would expect to use an electronic device for more than two years? Me, that's who.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 1, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I can't speak to other Kobos, but I think an ereader is one particular device that has long-term ownership value. If you have a PW1 or PW2, there's no real need to upgrade to a PW3 or Voyage. Until color e-ink becomes better and more available, I think that'll remain the case. I know someone who has had their Kindle 3 since it came out and still uses it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I still use my Kindle DX. Battery isn't as good as it used to be, but it still lasts days.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Was thinking of getting a Kindle Paperwhite. But I was just wondering if there is any risk of Amazon eventually preventing people from using Calibre to upload things to their devices. Forcing you to only use Amazon to buy your books.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Torabi posted:

Was thinking of getting a Kindle Paperwhite. But I was just wondering if there is any risk of Amazon eventually preventing people from using Calibre to upload things to their devices. Forcing you to only use Amazon to buy your books.

Every kindle also has an email address associated with it that you can email .mobi files to and it will automatically be brought to your device.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Every kindle also has an email address associated with it that you can email .mobi files to and it will automatically be brought to your device.

Ah, something like that is a pretty good sign that they aren't actively trying to stop you from buying books from other stores then.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 1, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

They now have a standalone program. Right click the file -> Send to Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/pc

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

You don't even need calibre, you can just drag n drop files.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So I got my kindle and when I booted it up I immediately noticed that it has a dead pixel or something. Or rather, a spot in the screen where the backlight shines through much brighter. So I'm having it replaced and with a little bit more luck I'll get one that isn't defective. Alas I was still impressed by the screen while looking at the dictionary. But from what I have gathered the screens are rather sensitive. Was thinking of already buying a case so when the new (hopefully not defective one) shows up I can have it good to go. But like usual first party cases are overpriced to hell and back. Saw these cases that seem to have positive reviews and is much cheaper:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fintie-Kind...paperwhite+case

Anyone who happens to have one?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I think they are depending on the fact that once you have the hardware, it's pretty drat easy to just buy books from the Kindle store. Which it is.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Torabi posted:

Saw these cases that seem to have positive reviews and is much cheaper:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fintie-Kind...paperwhite+case

Anyone who happens to have one?

I've got one of those for my non-paperwhite Kindle. It's great.

(There's one minor niggle that seems to be fixed on the version you linked, in that the magnets are exposed on mine and over time are leaving an indent on the flap.)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have the OMOTON one on my Voyage. Same reasoning, great product.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Torabi posted:

Ah, something like that is a pretty good sign that they aren't actively trying to stop you from buying books from other stores then.

This would be a stupidly controversial move with very little gain in it.
Ultimately you can just turn off updates so they couldn't enforce it on a device that currently supports adding books via other methods than the kindle store.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Which would totally negate the lending program from your friendly local public library.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Khablam posted:

This would be a stupidly controversial move with very little gain in it.
Ultimately you can just turn off updates so they couldn't enforce it on a device that currently supports adding books via other methods than the kindle store.

On Kindles, the only way to prevent updates is to keep it in airplane mode.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Anyone know fixes for bad font rendering in Calibre on Windows 10?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Got the new kindle and returned the defective one. New one has a flawless screen. :toot:

Edit:

Amazon support removed the special offers from my kindle for free as well. Seems like it had something to do with me being from Sweden. We can only buy the special offer variant here.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 7, 2015

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Anyone know fixes for bad font rendering in Calibre on Windows 10?

That looks like Bookerly?

Calibre doesn't like Bookerly for some reason and always looks like rear end. You can just change the font if you're viewing on-screen.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Calibre's font smoothing is horrible, if it even uses any.

Actually it seems to use cleartype at smaller font sizes. Try making it smaller and see if it helps readability?

edit: tried it myself, Bookerly looks like rear end, maybe because it was hinted for the Kindle screen. Comparing two similar fonts

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 7, 2015

smr
Dec 18, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

Calibre's font smoothing is horrible, if it even uses any.

Actually it seems to use cleartype at smaller font sizes. Try making it smaller and see if it helps readability?

edit: tried it myself, Bookerly looks like rear end, maybe because it was hinted for the Kindle screen. Comparing two similar fonts

Geez. Bookerly's a really beautiful, readable font on my Voyage and iPad at least. Gotta work to make it look that lovely. I'm impressed, Calibre! (j/k, I love your software, as 1997 janky-assed Java as it is).

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'd been using Calibre on Ubuntu with no font problems; they arrose when I switched to Windows. Switching fonts doens't appear to help.

I configured Cleartype; toggling cleartype on and off the first time I tried instantly fixed the problem, but it's reverted, and this trick doesn't work anymore.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

My PRS-T2 died earlier this week. Not sure what happened, it went to sleep normally, wouldn't come out of sleep, I hit the reset button and the screen went blank with some interesting triangle patterns in one corner. It appears to be completely toast.

I figured I'd just get whatever the new PRS is, only to find out that Sony apparently got out of the e-reader business completely last year. I ended up getting the Kobo Glo HD instead, and I'm really happy with it. Nice crisp display, and the integrated light is fantastic. The touchscreen is responsive enough that I don't miss the hardware buttons. My wife has a bit of e-reader lust (she's still using her PRS-650, which she's taken much better care of than I did of my 650 or my T2).

In the process of deciding this, I did a bunch of research on the Kobo models currently available -- would anyone be interested in a Kobo effortpost? I noticed that the OP just said Kobo info was "coming soon".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So what store do you guys (Americans) buy books from? Is it all Amazon, all the time around these parts?

Between their ability to revoke books and use their own proprietary DRM, I bought a Nook Simple Touch years ago and continue to buy from either B&N or Google Play whenever I can. Now I haven't turned the Simple Touch on in a year, use a tablet, and most of my books are in the Google Cloud and downloaded on demand to a device.

Should I just give in to Amazon already? Do they still have any pricing advantages or did Apple and Hachette whittle that away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Craptacular! posted:

So what store do you guys (Americans) buy books from? Is it all Amazon, all the time around these parts?

Between their ability to revoke books and use their own proprietary DRM, I bought a Nook Simple Touch years ago and continue to buy from either B&N or Google Play whenever I can. Now I haven't turned the Simple Touch on in a year, use a tablet, and most of my books are in the Google Cloud and downloaded on demand to a device.

Should I just give in to Amazon already? Do they still have any pricing advantages or did Apple and Hachette whittle that away?

Every other store with an associated app/device is able to revoke books too though? You also have to remember that in case of a book getting revoked you have a full refund.

Also, haha, Apple and the publishers all got wrecked with lawsuits for trying to fix prices so you don't have to worry about that anymore. Hell, I got a total of $60 in Amazon credit as reparations for unfairly priced books as a result.