Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I doubt anyone in the protagonist's faction is getting a Gundam of their own. They seem to be rare/ancient relics this time rather than the latest prototype. Encountering another one is probably going to be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Besides, they should be megamaning everything on to the Barbatos.

That said there's generally some sort of side kick Gundam so I can see them having at least something else. Maybe one made entirely of salvaged parts?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

Besides, they should be megamaning everything on to the Barbatos.

That said there's generally some sort of side kick Gundam so I can see them having at least something else. Maybe one made entirely of salvaged parts?

Yeah, a second "normal" Gundam kinda pulls attention away from them loading loot onto the Barbatos because it'd be matching performance throughout the series without the customized parts and make the premise kinda pointless if that's not an actual benefit. Either that, or they get their hands on an entirely new one and pass the Barbatos off to one of the other pilots. Considering it's all built on a standardized frame, I could see the big upgrade being a new frame itself.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So far most of the attention has been going to Mika, Orga, and Biscuit with some attention going to the previous commander whose and idiot. Orga and Biscuit dont seem to be in combat roles, being more like commander and XO. So the rest of the group are going to have to step up if they want to graduate to gundam user status.

I'm not seeing the kids getting more gundams, they'll definitely get improved workers and maybe a few suits but not actual gundams.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Gundam Gusion in particular looks like a heavily modified version of the Man Rodi, a Gjallarhorn mook-suit. That seems like the sort of thing the Orphans could get their hands on, particularly since they seem to be set to loot and mod a Graze in the near-future.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Neat English, actually.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Huh just said at nycc that their dubbing iron blood and should be released ealru 2016. Maybe Bandai actually gives a poo poo about he na market again

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And the dub will be done by Bang Zoom. A name that... I honestly don't recognize?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bang Zoom has been around for a long time and has dubbed a ton of things

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Monaghan posted:

Huh just said at nycc that their dubbing iron blood and should be released ealru 2016. Maybe Bandai actually gives a poo poo about he na market again

I'm gonna say it's because we all bought enough Gundam models at American stores.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Steve Blum will voice both Orga and Biscuit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

boom boom boom posted:

I'm gonna say it's because we all bought enough Gundam models at American stores.

Someone on /m/ claimed that Banrise representatives had stated in interviews that with the Japanese population issues they were being mindful of American audiences simply because they feared there wouldn't be enough of a domestic market at some point to support them anymore on it's own. This did come from /m/ and with no source though, so don't take it with a grain of salt, take it with the entire granary.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Monaghan posted:

Banrise's been slowing rolling out the franchise again in NA. Gunpla is becoming noticably more popular in the US than it was before (to the point where Barnes and Noble are selling kits), most of the shows are getting DVDs and Blue-Ray released in NA, and some shows are appearing on Hulu. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Gundam merch starting to appear at places like ThinkGeek within a year or so.

tsob posted:

Someone on /m/ claimed that Banrise representatives had stated in interviews that with the Japanese population issues they were being mindful of American audiences simply because they feared there wouldn't be enough of a domestic market at some point to support them anymore on it's own. This did come from /m/ and with no source though, so don't take it with a grain of salt, take it with the entire granary.

This also explains Bandai has been really pushing Gundam and Gunpla in SE Asia.

EDIT: Bandai and Sunrise, not Bandai. :downs:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 10, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They sort of have to because the japanese economy is in the gutter right now, kids think robots are antiquated, and the typical gunota are going to start dying sooner rather than later.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For the unknown, Bang Zoom has done shows such as:
-Rick and Morty
-Eureka 7
-Durarara!!
-Haruhi
-Fate/Series
-IGPX
-Samurai Champloo
-Gurren Lagann

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TNG posted:

Steve Blum will voice the entire cast.
FTFY.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

For the unknown, Bang Zoom has done shows such as:
-Rick and Morty
-Eureka 7
-Durarara!!
-Haruhi
-Fate/Series
-IGPX
-Samurai Champloo
-Gurren Lagann

I doubt they dubbed rick and morty

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Droyer posted:

I doubt they dubbed rick and morty

The voice actors of rick and morty recorded at Bang Zoom studio....?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I thought Gurren Lagann's dub was really good tbh.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

I remember it being pretty good as far as the major characters went.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

I remember it being pretty good as far as the major characters went.

Kamina was pretty weak. There was a big mismatch between the VA's tone and the character's body language.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah but he only lasts like a fourth of the show so it's not a big deal

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gyra_Solune posted:

I liked Eureka 7's dub as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Omnicrom posted:

I liked Eureka 7's dub as well.

Crispin Freeman was great as Holland. In fact, all the VAs are great except for Renton and Eureka, who are merely "alright".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRolpUL3g8

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Kamina was pretty weak. There was a big mismatch between the VA's tone and the character's body language.

Kamina was good, Hebert just wasn't as good at shonen screaming as Lowenthal.

Finally saw the first episode today, my friend and I both jumped out of our chairs yelling when the Gundam busted out of the ground. Honestly, that's probably one of my favorite Gundam introductions that didn't involve a flaming/exploding hangar.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Why did the first battalion opt to run away when they had a kickass Gundam in the base?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Because Mika is like the only person who can actually pilot it effectively.

Also they're cowards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, it's one suit against the space-SS. That doesn't sound like great odds if you want a long and prosperous life.

One thing I noticed - the leader of the Gjallarhorn raid's former superior got super pissed at him for using artillery on the CGS base, saying it'd jeopardise the mission. Coupled with the Mars commander's ambiguous comments about Kudelia performing well for them, I wonder if their objective is to capture rather than kill her?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Above Our Own posted:

Why did the first battalion opt to run away when they had a kickass Gundam in the base?

It's a rusted-down antique and no one thought about using it in actual combat against overwhelming numbers of the legitimate police force. That, and they're cowards.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i figured they didn't use it because it's a man eating machine. mika only piloted it for a brief few moments and he was already bleeding from it. imagine one of his less competent superiors trying to pilot it... they'd probably not do a sneak attack and would've had to fight the gjallhorn guy for at least a few minutes, reducing the pilot to pulp.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Above Our Own posted:

Maybe it's because they didn't know it worked, also it's probably because Mika (who's apparently the highest caliber pilot) still bleeds from 3 seconds of using it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Above Our Own posted:

Declaring open warfare on what amounts to the colonial military police is a pretty dangerous maneuver, they knew that Gjallarhorn was after Kudelia, and they placed no value on the third battalion's lives. It's much safer to grab all the valuable poo poo and run while the kids die to cover your escape than it is to engage in open conflict with the army.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Plus, they made no attempt at retrieving the Gundam even though they hauled rear end with all of their loot. It's entirely possible that they didn't even know the Gundam could be made operational as something other than a glorified power generator.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Traveller posted:

Plus, they made no attempt at retrieving the Gundam even though they hauled rear end with all of their loot. It's entirely possible that they didn't even know the Gundam could be made operational as something other than a glorified power generator.

More likely it's that the Gundam is loving huge. Trying to make a discreet getaway while your child soldier brigade get pulped by Mobile Suit gunfire is a lot harder when you've got a giant robot towering over you and keeping pace with big loud footsteps.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finally got a chance to sit down and watch the first episode the other day. It was pretty good. I look forward to seeing where this is going.

Also, I guess the theme for the names of the Gundams is demons from the Lesser Key of Solomon in the Ars Goetia, which is kinda neat; it also synchs up nicely with there being only 72 known to have existed.

Barbatos, Gusion, Kimaris

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, it's one suit against the space-SS. That doesn't sound like great odds if you want a long and prosperous life.

One thing I noticed - the leader of the Gjallarhorn raid's former superior got super pissed at him for using artillery on the CGS base, saying it'd jeopardise the mission. Coupled with the Mars commander's ambiguous comments about Kudelia performing well for them, I wonder if their objective is to capture rather than kill her?

I figured it was that or that they were worried it would be difficult to prove the death if she was a pile of hamburger.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Cookie, Cracker and Biscuit. What a family.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
After that opening fight scene, I can safely say I am no longer waiting for erection. :getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, Mika is a real fun pilot to watch in action. He's like Uso with a great big mean streak.

And I guess we know who'll be getting that glorious death next episode. RIP, Crank, but since you're clearly being set up to go out like a beast, I have to say I'm pretty hyped too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

And I guess we know who'll be getting that glorious death next episode. RIP, Crank, but since you're clearly being set up to go out like a beast, I have to say I'm pretty hyped too.

I was thinking that he's going to defect rather than throw himself to his own death.

• Locked thread