Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I don't know about you guys but I enjoy playing rebels :kiddo:

You have a strong, dramatic objective and the means to do it. Yeah, it is hard, but that makes it even more fun when you win. Hell, I screen capped my first rebel win

That's fine right now. But when you are playing your 50th or 60th match as rebels on Hoth are you still going to enjoy putting in more work than the other side? I don't think I will. I and I know a lot of the player base will say ughhh, veto this poo poo. Not to mention it's a loving meatgrinder for the rebels, if you get to the last third of the map you just get ground up. It's loving terrible, and people that love their K:D won't want to play because of the possibility of getting massacred on the first third of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Storm Trooper rifles are capable of hitting things Not Canon/10.

The Stormtroopers were missing on purpose in the first movie. They wanted the rebels to escape so they'd get the location of the base on Yavin IV.

I'm sorry I know this. :negative:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
lol if you genuinely like playing as the faction WITHOUT:
- cool, uniform, blank-faced helmets
- porcelain coloured armour
- sweet, sweet, black accents

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
The worst part about the Hoth map as Rebels is getting spawncamped by your own towers. Seriously, maybe the side that already has an immortal walking artillery platform and a bunch of AT-STs shouldn't be able to use towers.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Wow this game got worse than it was in alpha, what a terrible terrible game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zotix posted:

That's fine right now. But when you are playing your 50th or 60th match as rebels on Hoth are you still going to enjoy putting in more work than the other side? I don't think I will. I and I know a lot of the player base will say ughhh, veto this poo poo. Not to mention it's a loving meatgrinder for the rebels, if you get to the last third of the map you just get ground up. It's loving terrible, and people that love their K:D won't want to play because of the possibility of getting massacred on the first third of the map.

I don't think it's so much that it's harder to win as it is the fact that the rebels are hilariously out gunned. I guess it's true to the source material, but the AT-AT alone is hilariously powerful. It's like a CoD killstreak that you can chain together infinitely. I got over 70 kills just getting into the AT-AT a few times in a row near the end of a match, and there wasn't much they could do about it because the final set of objectives are on a relatively flat plain and I could see the whole thing from on high. You can see the difference on the scoreboard as well: the top players on offense tend to get way more kills and die a fraction as often as the defenders.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I do wish that rebels would get better air on the last point, it ends up being speeders versus tie interceptors and speeders can't even point upwards

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think it's so much that it's harder to win as it is the fact that the rebels are hilariously out gunned. I guess it's true to the source material, but the AT-AT alone is hilariously powerful. It's like a CoD killstreak that you can chain together infinitely. I got over 70 kills just getting into the AT-AT a few times in a row near the end of a match, and there wasn't much they could do about it because the final set of objectives are on a relatively flat plain and I could see the whole thing from on high. You can see the difference on the scoreboard as well: the top players on offense tend to get way more kills and die a fraction as often as the defenders.

This compounds the firepower problem as the At-at's can easily wipe out the turrets (which are alot of your damage, a satellite turret to the head is 2% a shot to an At-At)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stormgale posted:

This compounds the firepower problem as the At-at's can easily wipe out the turrets (which are alot of your damage, a satellite turret to the head is 2% a shot to an At-At)

The rockets on the AT-ST kill turrets in one hit from full health as well. It's also very easy to spawn camp with them.

also the rockets auto lock on so you can't even miss if you wanted to

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Magical Zero posted:

The worst part about the Hoth map as Rebels is getting spawncamped by your own towers. Seriously, maybe the side that already has an immortal walking artillery platform and a bunch of AT-STs shouldn't be able to use towers.

Always encourage your team of spastic rebels to man the turrets. You'll get a bunch of kills, get rid of the AT-STs and if the turrets blow up then that's all the better for later in the mission.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Det_no posted:

Always encourage your team of spastic rebels to man the turrets. You'll get a bunch of kills, get rid of the AT-STs and if the turrets blow up then that's all the better for later in the mission.

There are towers that can't see anything but the defender's spawn in every set of objectives and the only reason to use them before the AT-ATs move up is to spawn camp the rebels

also, again, the AT-ST rockets kill all turrets in one hit from full health

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Apparently the X-Wing has a tighter turning radius than the tie ships, forewarning

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I just realized another reason why vehicle tokens loving suck.

We can't steal eachother's vehicles!

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
All it took me was an hour to realize how incredibly boring the infantry combat in this game is. I was really excited about this until yesterday, now I'm not even sure this is worth purchasing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

After you get stomped on by Imperials on Hoth, you get to play as the Imperials next match. Seems fair. Losing doesn't mean you can't manage to have fun accomplishing your own goals within the game outside of attaining VICTORY every match.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo this game is bad. Lmao if you are buying this poo poo, it's no joke, probably the worst shooter I've played in 10 years or more. Yikes.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Soma Soma Soma posted:

All it took me was an hour to realize how incredibly boring the infantry combat in this game is. I was really excited about this until yesterday, now I'm not even sure this is worth purchasing.

Kinda feel the same way. I want to like it but ehhhh.

Fenrax
Oct 9, 2012

Who designed the Hoth map and why doesn't he want the rebels to ever win? I can't believe that map is so poorly balanced.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I played this game once.

For about 10 minutes.

I feel like I should give it another chance but holy god, that was an awful 10 minutes.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Funny how they chose such a poorly designed map like Hoth to showcase their game. How bad is everything else if this is what they put out early.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fenrax posted:

Who designed the Hoth map and why doesn't he want the rebels to ever win? I can't believe that map is so poorly balanced.

It's less that the map is poorly designed and more that people just don't know how to play objectives. It does have flaws but the biggest is sheer stupidity

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's less that the map is poorly designed and more that people just don't know how to play objectives. It does have flaws but the biggest is sheer stupidity

Yeah that's it

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I just played three rounds in a row on Hoth where both sides were reasonably competent, and it actually turned out pretty fun. Rebels won once, AT-ATs were down to 10% health or less all three times. I'm thinking it's not that unbalanced, it's just that the design is complicated and people haven't really caught on to what to do yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

mcvey posted:

Yeah that's it

Really, it isn't that bad. It is hard, yes, but I have seen more and more rebel wins recently ad people learn that "oh, shooting when the reticule is a big red X is bad" and start getting air superiority. A wings are my bane

Fenrax
Oct 9, 2012

Zoran posted:

I just played three rounds in a row on Hoth where both sides were reasonably competent, and it actually turned out pretty fun. Rebels won once, AT-ATs were down to 10% health or less all three times. I'm thinking it's not that unbalanced, it's just that the design is complicated and people haven't really caught on to what to do yet.

That could be, I was on the rebels once and won, but my team also had 9 Y-wings lined up before the first bombing run, so that round ended up being a complete blowout in the other direction. It's just that the imperial objective is a lot easier to accomplish since you don't really have to defend anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
In addition to the two multi maps, you can go into missions and fight waves of stormtroopers solo or co-op on tatooine. Its pretty fun and worth checking out once.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah I think the fact that the rebel side requires some kind of co-ordination and awareness other than "shoot mans" is what makes it so hard for them to win. Getting people to fire at the AT-ATs during the attack window, let alone focus fire one of them is the real barrier to Rebel victory. Even if you're tooling the Imperials on kills, it doesn't matter if you don't get enough people playing the objectives.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yikes, my computer can run the game just fine, but I get crazy packet loss/rubber banding when I'm online to the point it's unplayable. Other games seem to go just fine, though.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
It sure as gently caress isn't the battlefront successor I wanted. But, it is fun. I hate fun.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Zoran posted:

Similar experience here, it's more fun than just getting steamrolled but the game lacks so much in terms of polish and depth. I can't see dropping 60 bucks on this game.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Does anyone on PC want to get in some co-op action? I'm Zoran501 on Origin.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's cool that whenever the rebels win, there's always that one guy who is completely flabbergasted that such an occurrence is even possible.

year199X fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 10, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Actual Hoth balance when both teams are playing competently:

1st point is probably a little favored to the Rebels honestly. The left uplink (from the rebels' perspective) is super easy to defend and the right one is in the middle of a field that slightly favors the Rebels since they have some rocky cover on their approach. I've seen ATATs go down in this phase but usually if both teams are trying they can get one to 75-80% and one to maybe 40-50%.

2nd point is heavily Imperial favored. To be fair, the Rebel uplink inside the hanger is almost impossible to lose just because choke points work both ways, but the other outside uplink is almost impossible to regain control of once the Imperials get it. The only advantage Rebels have is that their A wings can dominate the air if the pilots are competent. It's also super short so the rebels rarely get more than a handful of bombing runs. One ATAT will probably by at like 10% and the other at 50%

3rd phase is a wildcard. The leftmost point (again from the rebels side) is about equally far from both Imperial and Rebel spawns, and while it's pretty easy to defend with all the heavy turret cover the Imperials now have two ATATs bearing down on you, as well as tie interceptors to even the air battle. The snowspeeders are the real equalizer here; ideally the rebels focus fire the weaker ATAT while the snowspeeders take down the other with a tow cable, but sometimes both get tow cabled and sometimes neither ATAT goes down.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Yeah I think the fact that the rebel side requires some kind of co-ordination and awareness other than "shoot mans" is what makes it so hard for them to win. Getting people to fire at the AT-ATs during the attack window, let alone focus fire one of them is the real barrier to Rebel victory. Even if you're tooling the Imperials on kills, it doesn't matter if you don't get enough people playing the objectives.

Idk what more they can do at that point though, the ATATs are already flashing blue and the objective has clearly changed to state "Shoot the AT-AT". You can lead an idiot to an objective, but you can't make him win

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I actually really enjoy the rebel side on Hoth, I find the "doomed to fail last stand" thing entertaining though, and hey if we win, that's great too. But I understand why hyper competitive people wouldn't enjoy it.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Black Baby Goku posted:

Holy poo poo this game is bad. Lmao if you are buying this poo poo, it's no joke, probably the worst shooter I've played in 10 years or more. Yikes.

The actual infantry combat is competent in a bf3/4 kind of way but every single design choice from maps to flow to randmized pickups to the insane card system is indefensible.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Really, it isn't that bad. It is hard, yes, but I have seen more and more rebel wins recently ad people learn that "oh, shooting when the reticule is a big red X is bad" and start getting air superiority. A wings are my bane

Are you some sort of FPS junkie that desperately needs his fix? Between this and the Rainbow Six Siege beta you have been rallying for some seriously mediocre games. I feel your pain though, because there has not been a good new FPS in a long while. Maybe we can put some hope in Overwatch if Blizzard decides to not charge per character and/or releases the game in the next 5 years?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

The "right click to autoaim" in the Tie Interceptor (and other planes?) is fairly retarded as well.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Idk what more they can do at that point though, the ATATs are already flashing blue and the objective has clearly changed to state "Shoot the AT-AT". You can lead an idiot to an objective, but you can't make him win

Things they could do:

1. Caps interrupt ywings not start them over.
2. Imperials can't use the turrets or change their angle of fire.
3. Lower the walkers health or adjust how much damage certain weapons do to them. The Radar Dish guns do 2 percent damage per shot and you are incredibly vulnerable in them.

Fun fact you can get a maximum of 2-3 ywings on the second point by holding them the entire time. It's an incredibly short phase. I actually like the game but Hoth is an unbalanced mess.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

You could make snowspeeders not suck and make harpooning not a QTE.

• Locked thread