Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Superduke has compression and rebound but no preload :v:

Dignity: restored.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess Suzuki didn't license the sv1000 motor to them?

The 650 engine doesn't appear to have any SV parts, pretty sure that's a myth. I'll know for sure when I take it apart but thus far it looks like the only SV parts are the fact that it's a 650 v-twin and probably has similar geometry. Nothing is the same on the outside, except maybe the carbs? I've never seen SV carbs so I wouldn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!

WildWanderer posted:

NEW PROJECT BIKE!!

19?? Honda GLX 90

Yes! I'm currently rebuilding a 96 in the same colour, called the c90 in the UK. If you haven't checked it out already, head over to https://www.c90.co.uk , loads of useful info and build threads on there.

Mine looks like this at the moment -

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Dignity: restored.

The 650 engine doesn't appear to have any SV parts, pretty sure that's a myth. I'll know for sure when I take it apart but thus far it looks like the only SV parts are the fact that it's a 650 v-twin and probably has similar geometry. Nothing is the same on the outside, except maybe the carbs? I've never seen SV carbs so I wouldn't know.

Oh, I assumed it was a licensed copy, didn't know it was original, huh :ms:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e: wrong thread yo!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

My usual riding hole :v:

Sm rubber is flat out loving cheating.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Supermoto is just cheat-mode motorcycling in all respects except maybe service intervals.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ReelBigLizard posted:

Supermoto is just cheat-mode motorcycling in all respects except maybe service intervals.

Yeah but service usually involves a milk crate and a pair of pliers.
Still cheat mode.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
February can't come soon enough! Miss my Sumo so much.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah but service usually involves a milk crate and a pair of pliers.
Still cheat mode.

Still want an electric supermoto. All the fun of sumo with the service schedule of a lathe.

Local laws and regs mean I can technically plate a Freeride E, problem is I can't afford a Freeride E and even if I could the local KTM dealer doesn't want to spend the £10+k on training and equipment to get certified on them.

Instead, this winter I'm building the Electric-assist bike from hell with a bike jumble £50 Cannondale frame, fat MTB slicks, 1KWh of lipo and a 4-6hp brushless motor from a 1:5 scale aerobatic RC plane.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just wait for a completely reasonable and affordable Alta!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

KillaZilla posted:

Sup R3 dudes. Such a good first bike.

Picking up my Blue R3 tomorrow. I'll join the R3 crowd hooray. I'll post a picture then.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace

Squid alert.
K2 GSXR 600. Low miles, nice and functional mods.

Gonna be a star on a G S X R :dong:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol @ the little scuff pad thingies uselessly plonked on the side of the tank there. Looks very tidy, I don't see many 600's from that generation around.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Poor mans techspec grips?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Parabellum posted:

Squid alert.
K2 GSXR 600. Low miles, nice and functional mods.

Gonna be a star on a G S X R :dong:

That's a very nice bike! It's rare to see that generation gsxr that hasn't been chucked down the freeway at 160 mph or had the tank caved in to be a stunt bike

I had an 04 600 and I loved it, but I was a young, unmarried man, so the insurance was insane for me at the time.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's a very nice bike! It's rare to see that generation gsxr that hasn't been chucked down the freeway at 160 mph or had the tank caved in to be a stunt bike

I had an 04 600 and I loved it, but I was a young, unmarried man, so the insurance was insane for me at the time.

A friend of mine just bought an 06 600 and it randomly starred spraying oil out of a hole in the stator cover.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah they all do that all the time he should worry if it doesn't

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It explains why they're constantly being lowsided on roundabouts, which seems to be the natural environment of all GSXR600's.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Having tossed one down the road and having it try again multiple times thereafter, can confirm.

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
Cheers all, I didnt even negotiate with the P.O. when I saw it. Its been garaged since day 1 and only has 17000 miles on it.
Just had the valves adjusted and fresh PR3s fitted too. Rides like a dream!

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012
Hey Guys,

Just got back on two wheels this year. Wife and I were on our way up to the Tulip Festival (don't ask) and I got this great idea for stopping to look at motorcycles on the way up. If I have to stare at flowers all day, she's giving something up too.

So she's sitting on a bunch and then sits on the busa and gets this smile on her face, then proceeds to tell me she thought about buying one for me for Christmas -yeah it was a done deal then. Rode it home like a squid in chino shorts and literally burnt my calves (drat the busa puts out some heat around your calves).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Just needs an extended swingarm and some chrome spinners on the wheels. Gold chain too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
went to deathvalley on the drz.

thats a caterpillar crank, and I'm 12.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Awesome.

Honestly, watching the Regular Car Reviews Hayabusa review made me want one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet shaft!

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

dema posted:

Awesome.

Honestly, watching the Regular Car Reviews Hayabusa review made me want one.

Thanks, have had tons of Super Sport bikes, was ready for something comfortable and the wife loved the back seat compared to the others.

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

went to deathvalley on the drz.

thats a caterpillar crank, and I'm 12.

I've never tried dirt, but man that looks fun. Might have to break down and pick one up one of these days. We have tons of good places in the NW.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Motorcyclin'

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I need details. Please compare it to all the things. Thanks.

Seriously, how does it handle? Does it feel heavy? Any quarks/issues?
I think they look pretty good and would make a great commuter.
I'd consider buying a used one in a couple of years if they hold up well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I would assume the bike has a lot of those.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah he's asking if riding it gives him a hadron.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Slavvy posted:

Nah he's asking if riding it gives him a hadron.

A strange question, but is has a certain charm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I need details. Please compare it to all the things. Thanks.

Seriously, how does it handle? Does it feel heavy? Any quarks/issues?
I think they look pretty good and would make a great commuter.
I'd consider buying a used one in a couple of years if they hold up well.

I'm actually pretty curious about it too. Post ride impressions plz.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is that a fancy super10 or just regular? Neat colors.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Cool ride. That huge can reminds me of the "Veronica" Iron Man outfit in Avengers 2. It's like they just slapped on an arm :haw:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's so cool but that exhaust is so awful

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Worthington posted:

Hey Guys,

Tulip Festival (don't ask)

West Michigan?

edit: oh yeah nice busa!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The carbs from a gen 1 SV fits the older carbed GT650 without modification and vice versa, and the front sprocket is the same between them, and thats the only engine/drivetrain commonality. Otherwise there are multiple easy ways to spot differences. Oil filter on the GT is an internal cartridge while the SV has a spin on (and in a different position too). Water pump is is a different position as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm waiting for my parts to arrive and I'll start reassembling the engine soon, if anyone is interested I'll take a shitload of pictures. So far it looks like it has the same architecture as an SV but all the parts are different, as if they both evolved separately from one common ur twin ancestor developed deep in the bowels of R&D. Which they probably did.

Also the un-quoted part of your old post mentions valves breaking, I'm pretty sure this is because of the laughably poor PAIR system that shoots intake air at only one exhaust valve per cylinder so the two valves end up having significantly different temperatures.