Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

new Retina 27-inch 5K iMacs can take up to 64 GB of RAM, according to OWC.

Naturally they're also selling 64 GB kits to achieve the same. Price quoted is $1200!

The new 21.5 inch 4K iMacs have soldered RAM only, just like the Minis these days, so if you get one, buy as much as you can afford, Apple will only configure it up to 16 GB.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
How long until we see a 5K display and a Macbook Pro that can power it?

I love the new 27" Retina but the Macbook Pro/docking to Thunderbolt Display is such a great combo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm guessing March.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Binary Badger posted:

new Retina 27-inch 5K iMacs can take up to 64 GB of RAM, according to OWC.

Naturally they're also selling 64 GB kits to achieve the same. Price quoted is $1200!

The new 21.5 inch 4K iMacs have soldered RAM only, just like the Minis these days, so if you get one, buy as much as you can afford, Apple will only configure it up to 16 GB.

Having not bought RAM in a very long time, is that like, a normal RAM price? $1200 for 64gb? :psyduck:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

robodex posted:

Having not bought RAM in a very long time, is that like, a normal RAM price? $1200 for 64gb? :psyduck:

16 is still $100-200 I think, but it might be a different type of memory than the ones I remember.

Also depending On the number of slots that would affect price (2 32GB sticks will cost a lot more than 4 16GB sticks).

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The 64GB kit is 4x16GB sticks, but I can't find any other 16GB 1867MHz sticks to compare prices with. $1200 seems a little pricey, but it's in line with what Apple charges, and for right now it looks like you don't have any other options for fitting that much RAM of that speed in an iMac.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023192-REG/lifetime_memory_10313_16er_16gb_pc3_14900_1866.html

Here's a little cheaper. It seems that non-ECC is hard to find 16GB modules for, but ECC it's relatively cheap: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021652-REG/owc_other_world_computing_owc1866d3r9m64_64gb_4x16_pc3_14900_1866mhz.html

edit: Oh wait, does the iMac use laptop-size DIMMs? LOL yeah 16GB modules are gonna be $$$$ have fun

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 14, 2015

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Pivo posted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023192-REG/lifetime_memory_10313_16er_16gb_pc3_14900_1866.html

Here's a little cheaper. It seems that non-ECC is hard to find 16GB modules for, but ECC it's relatively cheap: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021652-REG/owc_other_world_computing_owc1866d3r9m64_64gb_4x16_pc3_14900_1866mhz.html

edit: Oh wait, does the iMac use laptop-size DIMMs? LOL yeah 16GB modules are gonna be $$$$ have fun

It does, so yeah.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I've got a hunch that may need checking out with someone else, but it appears like the Magic Mouse 2 fits in the Lightning Dock a little too perfectly for it to be a coincidence.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

TinTower posted:

I've got a hunch that may need checking out with someone else, but it appears like the Magic Mouse 2 fits in the Lightning Dock a little too perfectly for it to be a coincidence.

The Lighting Dock has an angled connector while the MM2's connector port is perpendicular to the bottom plane of the mouse, so it doesn't fit.

EDIT: vvv Ha! Forgot to account that the connector is reversible. :downs:

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 15, 2015

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Like this? https://twitter.com/cabel/status/654030946161680384

I don't know how the dock is weighted, but I imagine it falls over. A docked Apple TV remote looks fine, though: https://twitter.com/dwiskus/status/654032086999953409

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can I upgrade the internal Airport+BT card in my mid 2012 MBP15 non-retina to something with AC wifi?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

NeuralSpark posted:

The Lighting Dock has an angled connector while the MM2's connector port is perpendicular to the bottom plane of the mouse, so it doesn't fit.

EDIT: vvv Ha! Forgot to account that the connector is reversible. :downs:

The other way around. The bump where the connector is gives just enough clearance for a snug fit.

e:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 15, 2015

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I have an iMac 13,2(late 2012) with the 680MX video card.

I just started noticing some very bad image retention. I never noticed it before upgrading to El Capitan two days ago.

Now, if I leave a window open for 15-20 mins its burned into the screen for a good 30-40 mins after the windows gone.

Is it possible for the graphics driver to some how cause this image retention?

I never ever noticed the problem before and with the way it popped up so acutely the first boot into El Capitan makes me really wonder.

More importantly, in the likely event this is a hardware issue, is this kind of issue covered by AppleCare?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

decypher posted:

Is it possible for the graphics driver to some how cause this image retention?

Nope. Some LCDs are prone to it and maybe it got worse with age and you were just more alert to possible issues after an OS upgrade.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I have a random issue

Any external keyboard that gets attached to the mac 27" monitor connected to my 15" laptop occasionally has a stuck cmd key.

As in, it acts as though the cmd key is toggled on. I have to hit again to toggle off and then it operates normally again.
This happens with every external keyboard (mac or otherwise) and doesn't happen with the laptop keyboard.

Using Yosemite.

edit: i plugged in the keyboard directly to the laptop and it seems to have fixed the issue.
Is the 27" broken?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Since El Cap, video windows in Premiere Pro CC are full of yellow / red artifacts, but only on external displays (both HDMI and DP). Internal display for rMBP 15" early 2013 is unaffected. Something tells me it's not "bad GPU". Accelerated video windows seem fine in other apps across all displays; this is likely a useless place to complain about this. I'm sure it's time for bare installs of OS & everything.
I'm very tempted to trade up to the 4GHz i7 5K 27", but I don't want to be left in the expandability cold without TB3. Seems like they won't release a spring iMac update if we have one now, though.

PS: Pg. #:devil:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So Mac2Sell is on crack, right? There's no way my 2009 i7 27" iMac can be worth anwhere near $1340... is there?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mac2Sell was pretty much bang on when I sold my 2009 MacBook Pro last year. It's probably the very upper limit of what you can get, but it's not unrealistic.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Holy poo poo the Australian prices are absurd.

$2799 for a 27" iMac base model. my 2011 base model was $2000.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Laserface posted:

Yup.. $4700 for an up-specced 27". Ouch.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I need to get a laptop for school and I think I'm set on a 15 inch MBP. My first mac was a 2008 MBP which I sold a few years ago and now I'm using a late 2012 completely maxed out (when I bought it at the time) 27 iMac.

I switched to the iMac mostly for editing photos as I didn't like doing so on a small laptop screen. It's been great for that and it's still running fine. The MBP will mostly be for doing school work in locations that aren't my desk at home. I might do some light photo editing, but it's not a big deal. The cheaper 13 inches might be a better fit but I'm afraid I won't like the screen size.

My questions, do you think it's worth getting the 512 drive even if I have a 3TB at home? Is it worth getting the AMD Radeon R9 M370X over the Iris Pro Graphics? I plan to keep the laptop for around 3-5 years.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Haggins posted:

My questions, do you think it's worth getting the 512 drive even if I have a 3TB at home? Is it worth getting the AMD Radeon R9 M370X over the Iris Pro Graphics? I plan to keep the laptop for around 3-5 years.

Yes on the drive. No on the GPU.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Laserface posted:

Yeah, Apple prices its products worldwide based on the US dollar, and the Australian dollar has weakened a lot against the US dollar...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They correct it in their favor a whole lot quicker than they do when it swings back our way.

Took them 3 years to adjust app store pricing on iOS and then the moment it starts to devalue they crank it back up.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The comparisons in Australian dollars are always silly because their average full time worker makes $75K and gets free healthcare and like 9 months of paid leave every year. I'd gladly pay double for a loving macbook if I could get that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How reliable are the mac mini? I'm thinking of getting one for web development purposes, and it is indeed cheaper than a macbook.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
RIP my power adapter early 2013-2015. Still under apple care so hoping they will replace it, although it seems hit or miss. I have a 5 hour gig tonight so I'm hoping I can just walk into an apple store and have it swapped (or told I have to buy a new one... I don't really have the option of trying multiple apple stores)

Laserface posted:

They correct it in their favor a whole lot quicker than they do when it swings back our way.

to be fair, what company doesnt do this

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Honest Thief posted:

How reliable are the mac mini? I'm thinking of getting one for web development purposes, and it is indeed cheaper than a macbook.

I have 2007 and 2009 units still going strong and picked up a 2012 refurb that is doing great so far.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Pryor on Fire posted:

The comparisons in Australian dollars are always silly because their average full time worker makes $75K and gets free healthcare and like 9 months of paid leave every year. I'd gladly pay double for a loving macbook if I could get that.

Their minimum wage is like $20/hr too. They're entitled fucktards. ALL OF THEM.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I was a kid I needed surgery on a leg and we didn't have insurance so it cost like $25,000 and it wiped out our savings. Stop whining foreigners. I deserve the dirt cheap smartphones and laptops.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

mitztronic posted:

RIP my power adapter early 2013-2015. Still under apple care so hoping they will replace it, although it seems hit or miss. I have a 5 hour gig tonight so I'm hoping I can just walk into an apple store and have it swapped (or told I have to buy a new one... I don't really have the option of trying multiple apple stores)

to be fair, what company doesnt do this

The AppleCare terms specify that it covers "the Apple-branded product and the accessories contained in its original packaging." Remind them of that if they give you any poo poo.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Good news: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/17/apple-mbp-ar-coating-quality-program-staingate/

If you had that issue, get your repair/refund starting tomorrow.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why the gently caress is everything a loving *gate now?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IUG posted:

Why the gently caress is everything a loving *gate now?

Because people are stupid and don't realize that Watergate referred to a specific event that occurred at the Watergate Office Complex (burglars linked to the CRP breaking into the DNC offices). So they append -gate to any scandal since Watergate was one the most infamous in US history reaching as it did to the office of the president. "Gate" being used as a suffix for a scandal has so permeated our culture that I would not be surprised of children being confused when they learn that Watergate was in fact NOT a scandal involving water.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

flosofl posted:

Because people are stupid and don't realize that Watergate referred to a specific event that occurred at the Watergate Office Complex (burglars linked to the CRP breaking into the DNC offices). So they append -gate to any scandal since Watergate was one the most infamous in US history reaching as it did to the office of the president. "Gate" being used as a suffix for a scandal has so permeated our culture that I would not be surprised of children being confused when they learn that Watergate was in fact NOT a scandal involving water.

I've taught 20th century world history courses to university students and seen the flash of comprehension when they realize exactly that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Their minimum wage is like $20/hr too. They're entitled fucktards. ALL OF THEM.

Australia has the worse internet of all time though. There are broken anarchy countries in Africa with better internet.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The Magic Keyboard and Trackpad^2 just showed up at my place. Pairing over Lightning was immediate and kind of hilarious how that wasn't possible before. They're *super* flat, which is kind of interesting to get used to but feels like of like I'm typing on a laptop keyboard that's inset into my desk. Key travel is a little more shallow but feels more solid than the OG keyboard.

Force touch is neat and the new trackpad is loving huge.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 17, 2015

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I have an rMB and am curious about my external monitor options.

I'm really jonesing for the Dell U3415w, but I'm not sure how the pairing would work out. I've read conflicting anecdotes (re: 3440x1440 from an rMB) online. Some have said that if the monitor is HDMI 2.0 compatible (which the Dell is), then the rMB can push 60 Hz to it. But I have not read anywhere one way or the other that the rMB, through an adapter (Apple's or otherwise), can do HDMI 2.0. My other option is to wait for some vaporware dock-type solution that will let me run DisplayPort to the monitor while also charging the rMB, I guess. But this might not be capable of going to 60 Hz either, as a Monoprice review of a USB-C to DisplayPort cable suggests.

If push comes to shove I suppose I could live with going under 60 Hz (and the overall cheaper HDMI adapter option), but how much lower are we talking here? How many Hz can the rMB push over HDMI at 3440x1440? If it is that terrible I'll just stick with a 1920x1200 monitor I have now.

One more question, I am wanting to get the new Magic Keyboard and Trackpad 2, but I am currently using the old keyboard and trackpad with a Henge Docks Clique (and previously with a Magic Wand). Are there any rumblings about a similar product in the pipeline for the new accessories? Or do the new shapes (maybe those of you all who have the new keyboard and trackpad could weigh in) preclude an equivalent unifying solution? It is almost a requirement with how I use my desktop that the keyboard and trackpad work as a single piece.

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you all for helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Apple.com rMB connectivity page posted:

The HDMI port on this adapter supports the following:
TVs, displays, and projectors that you connect via HDMI
HDMI 1.4b
720p and 1080p HDTVs, projectors, and displays at up to 1920 x 1200 resolution
4K Ultra-HD TVs and displays with the following resolutions (learn more):
3840 x 2160 at 30Hz
4096 x 2160 at 24Hz

So your best option is the AV adapter. That page mentions DP but doesn't say anything about how to connect DP.

Low Hz makes your Mac look like you're remoting into it, it's not pleasant. My potentially wrong thinking is that Macs probably won't get a 60Hz DP output res at 4K-5K until they support USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 with a Skylake CPU.