Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Pile drivers, much like robots, are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well, that was a cool episode of Biscuit Gundam.

Mika, one stone cold motherfucker.

Not too much of a fan of the characters otherwise, a bunch of walking caricatures and too much of a sausagefest so far, but at least the fights (the little that's animated) are nice so far.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The theory that Biscuit "not even a pilot" Griffon is gonna pilot the Guison because he is fat and so is the robot is hilarious and I hope it doesn't happen because it's also really dumb.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That one guy that wanted to sell the princess looks like anime Hitler. It's a bit distracting!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

That one guy that wanted to sell the princess looks like anime Hitler. It's a bit distracting!

Look man, we've gotta get past this stigma on the mustache somehow. It's almost been a hundred years! I applaud this Gundam series for trying to move us past.

He is totally Martian Hitler though. :(

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I hope Hitler lives until the end.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Mika continues to be the :stonk:est lead. At the same time, I love the little touches of humanity. I was afraid he would ignore Atra's bracelet but he appreciates it for what it is and keeps it with him. Oh, and he loves snacks. :3: It just makes his moments as a stone cold killer just that much more stone cold.

And now we know who Nobliss is. But wasn't the Mars branch boss counting on his support too? I think he's backing both horses in this race.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Echoing the "God drat Mika is a stone cold little motherfucker" sentiment. Also kinda surprised they actually showed him executing that first guy; the way they set that up was amazing, with the camera panning up as he's approaching to a close up on Orga, you think they're going to do a discretion cut. And then the camera cuts back to an overhead shot of Mikazuki right as he pulls the trigger.

I also liked the scene with him in the mess hall. "Big pieces are better. I feel like I'm really eating." Kind of hosed up but not really surprising to learn that the guys in charge before Orga took over weren't exactly keeping the Third Group well fed.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 19, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't wait for Mika in SRW as he just immediately shoots the bad guy before they can finish their sentences.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Good character stuff this episode. Kudelia didn't want to throw away the curry she messed up, she wanted to eat it all herself. Still being impractical, but trying to be practical by not wasting food.

Good sound too. The part where Orga and Kudelia were talking and you heard the battle in the background would've sucked if they'd used traditional sci-fi laser sound effects or whatever.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He was breathing it in rather than kissing it, presumably because it smells of Atra, which means their attraction is probably mutual, which is neat. :3:

I didn't get it when I saw it, but that makes seonse.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tae posted:

I can't wait for Mika in SRW as he just immediately shoots the bad guy before they can finish their sentences.

I hope he ends up with Chirico's pistol attack. :getin:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Tae posted:

Welp, wrong then. Yeah, that scene doesn't make sense then.

Though I'm now curious if kissing a rope bracelet is a martian custom and not just a weird trait the girl has.

the stab was through the stomach, while the cockpit is more in the heart of the graze. you can even see the positioning of the hole, so it's not that nonsensical that the guy was injured but not dead.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mo_Steel posted:

He is totally Martian Hitler though. :(

Maybe in a surprise twist he'll become Martian Charlie Chaplin?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow this just keeps getting better. Mika is (appropriately) a crazy gently caress. It makes sense they he pretty much wouldn't care about killing since he's been doing this everyday for years.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Tae posted:

I can see a lot of dynamic kills where he just blankly aims at whoever he's fighting's cockpit.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, pretty much :black101:

I'm enjoying Mika's characterization so far. After the first episode, I thought they might have trouble keeping him the dangerous child-soldier that they presented him as while still making him likable, but they're managing it pretty well so far. (Also, I knew this show was aiming for a gritty tone, but I was not expecting the protagonist to dispassionately execute three people before the series has even gotten into full swing. JFC)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zero_Tactility posted:

(Also, I knew this show was aiming for a gritty tone, but I was not expecting the protagonist to dispassionately execute three people before the series has even gotten into full swing. JFC)

They deserved it.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
One thing I liked about the episode is how in Orga and Kudelia's conversation, they directly addressed how she entertained the possibility of undergoing Whisker surgery and how impractical it'd be. Mainly because a) Mikazuki is real ruthless, wow, and b) there's plenty of other options to focus on like politics. not exactly a subtle moment, but I liked it nonetheless :)

The bracelet thing was cute too.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

If by the end of the show Mikazuki becomes martian Chirico, I would be so thrilled

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Even better: Twin Armor Magnum combination attack. :flashfap:

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Mika hid the bracelet so Atra didn't see him shoot anyone. :3:

This show is so good in all the ways.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zwingley posted:

I didn't even notice that. They're shaping up to be a pretty cute couple, even when Mika is in the middle of murder.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Mika is this amazing mix of smart, kind-hearted child and cold-blooded killer that I don't think other soft-hearted murder-robots like Heero and Setsuna execute nearly as well. The ways in which being a child soldier has hosed him up and the ways in which what he really is still shine through feel so much more believable, even if he is still an obviously idealised character.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He was breathing it in rather than kissing it, presumably because it smells of Atra, which means their attraction is probably mutual, which is neat. :3:
My favorite thing about the bracelet thing- he put that hand behind his back when he shot his gun.

This show is definitely thinking about its characters. The pre-credits bit was great- Orga asks Mikazuki if the food is good. Mikazuki offers Orga some. He either can't or won't judge for himself. Orga says let's go, and Mikazuki picks up his gun. This is a really beautiful hosed up relationship.

Interestingly Mikazuki has no problem judging Kudelia's food. He's not just an empty shell, he's a real person, he just completely suppresses all that for Orga, and becomes his willing puppet. I wonder if this is foreshadowing a (let's be honest, pretty much inevitable) shift away from Orga towards Kudelia, where Mikazuki becomes more of a real person. I guess this goes with the bracelet thing. Mikazuki becomes self conscious- literally conscious of himself- around women. And that consciousness is a disconnect from how he is around Orga, entirely unconscious of himself and his own will.

It's interesting that Orga had Mikazuki execute the prisoner. I wonder if the implication is that Orga wouldn't have been able to, or would have hesitated/looked weak. Orga may have ruthless ideas, but we haven't seem him do anything? The very first scene in the show, of them as kids, Orga looks horrified, and then hurt/angry. We don't know the context yet, but it's clear Orga is more affected emotionally by the killing than Mikazuki, who shuts himself off and asks what to do next like a good tool.

I was worried about Kudelia when she was being super anime cute by being all bad at/worried about cooking. I don't really find that particularly cute myself, though it was clearly supposed to be. But considering what she talked about and where she went later in the episode, I understand it was supposed to be humanizing her, and that she would otherwise come off as unapproachably political or something. She is indeed going really interesting places. I'm always worried about women in anime (which probably biases me against some otherwise fine characters), but my fears are being proven unfounded here. It looks like she's going to provide the moral direction actively, not just passively going along with whatever and driving things along by being a damsel or whatever, but deciding things herself.

I like the theme of adults vs. children. A theme I'm sure Tomino would appreciate (even if he'd never make a Gundam like this). The dynamic of the children having taken over the company but keeping some adults around to keep things running is a really neat one. I liked the scene of the accountant and martian hitler on one platform and Orga and that other kid on the other, arguing back and forth about what to do. I like that martian hitler came up with the cowardly plan, but blond kid immediately jumped in to support him. Adults may be more crafty, but selfish cowardice is universal (but that blond kid still only got those ideas from a crafty coward adult). Both sides are pretty nuanced- you've got all kinds of kids, and all kinds of adults. The black mechanic is adult wisdom, the enemy not-Ramba-Ral was adult honor. Adult honor didn't seem to quite connect with Mikazuki directly, but I think he still heard it.

After three episodes... I'm on board. This is pretty drat nice.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 18, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I am dissapointed that they didn't call the company Ecstasy Justice

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zwingley posted:

This was my favorite detail in the entire episode by a lot and two seconds of animation tells an entire story about how the character thinks and feels. We're three episodes in and Mika as a character is pretty much blowing the previous Gundam attempts at making an interesting child soldier character completely out of the water already.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The episode fell a little flat compared to the previous two, but I appreciate the effort going into characterizing Mika. Not the "Orga and Kudelia stand around talking about how crazy/impressive he is" scene, mind you, just the little things like his continued amazing dialogue (he's got a real knack for saying stuff with super depressing connotations like it's honestly nothing) and his actions.

Daisuki's subs were also a little better this time around but god drat could someone tell them that people speak in contractions?

Caros
May 14, 2008

It occurred to me while I was watching, does Mika already have the highest number of face to face kills of any Gundam protagonist? Particularly on screen?

I mean yeah your Usso's of the world murder thousands in their mobile suits, but the only other gundam pilots I can remember shooting people directly are Lockon 2 and Setsuna in a flashback. Right now we're up to I think five for Mika, three in this episode and two in the first episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm legitimately curious where they're going with Mika. The really interesting thing about him is that Orga completely supports his really hosed-up behavior and even praises and encourages it. Some of that can be seen in a less-uncomfortable light ("he's boorish but honorable") but using Mika the way he does really casts a weird light on Orga. Like Setsuna and Heero were "we're being used as weapons" but Mika is straight-up being used as Orga's weapon, even if he is doing so somewhat willingly. Using him to execute a guy is genuinely uncomfortable and creepy. Orga in general seems to praise Mika but also use him to do his dirty work without an iota of regret.

They could go unironic with this but as much as Orga's presented as a somewhat likable and honorable dude, I think his relationship with Mika is supposed to feel hosed up.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Mika is iron blooded as gently caress

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Caros posted:

It occurred to me while I was watching, does Mika already have the highest number of face to face kills of any Gundam protagonist? Particularly on screen?

I mean yeah your Usso's of the world murder thousands in their mobile suits, but the only other gundam pilots I can remember shooting people directly are Lockon 2 and Setsuna in a flashback. Right now we're up to I think five for Mika, three in this episode and two in the first episode.

I think only Setsuna tops Mika at this, but I don't think Mika would be willing to gun down his own family in cold blood, even if Orga told him to.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schubalts posted:

I think only Setsuna tops Mika at this, but I don't think Mika would be willing to gun down his own family in cold blood, even if Orga told him to.

How do we know that's not the reason he's an orphan to begin with? :tinfoil:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Schubalts posted:

I dunno, if Rosamia Augus shows up later in the series I don't think I'd have much trouble believing that Mika would put a few bullets in her if Orga told him to. He'd probably drop some sick ice burn about how they abandoned him anyways and blood connections don't mean much next to his comrades.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

It's neat how they bulked up Barbatos with Graze shoulder armor for the duel.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zwingley posted:

I didn't even catch that, dang. This show has some nice small moments, like that.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm legitimately curious where they're going with Mika. The really interesting thing about him is that Orga completely supports his really hosed-up behavior and even praises and encourages it. Some of that can be seen in a less-uncomfortable light ("he's boorish but honorable") but using Mika the way he does really casts a weird light on Orga. Like Setsuna and Heero were "we're being used as weapons" but Mika is straight-up being used as Orga's weapon, even if he is doing so somewhat willingly. Using him to execute a guy is genuinely uncomfortable and creepy. Orga in general seems to praise Mika but also use him to do his dirty work without an iota of regret.

They could go unironic with this but as much as Orga's presented as a somewhat likable and honorable dude, I think his relationship with Mika is supposed to feel hosed up.

I'm pretty sure Orga gave Mika the gun because he was the most likely to use it without hesitation and would definitely go through with Orga's orders, probably morseo than even Orga himself would. Their relationship is pretty interesting because for the most part Orga seems like a really decent dude, he starts giving people actual pay, he doesn't want to just kill Kudelia for money, and he appears to genuinely care for everyone in the third corps. And then he's just got a really screwed up relationship with this kid. It's really intriguing and I want to learn more about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I feel like Orga having Mika do all the dirty work while his hands stay 'clean' is going to be a major point later on, or at least I hope it is because it would be pretty weird not to address it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's a guy with a Hitler 'stache. That will never not be funny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He gor nothing on Marshal Hidler from iirc Getter Robo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I hope to god that Orga doesn't bite it. Everything about his and Mika's relationship is the best and the worst.

• Locked thread