Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
maybe they have kurds in their way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

Otherwise, you want to save McDs? Run McDonald's Monopoly 3 times a year. My rear end would be in there all the time.

i would go every day if the introduced some better games. like maybe McDonalds: Talisman the Magical Burger game

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
maybe they should start putting arcade machines back into fast food places??

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

that's already taco bell's marketing campaign

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No IOWA CHOP on the menu. 3/10

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

The Saurus posted:

maybe they should start putting arcade machines back into fast food places??
They should put arcade games everywhere.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I really hope my local doesn't shut down. Nuggets and cheeseburgers are some of the few foods I can eat without getting sick.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
How obese are you

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Drunk Nerds posted:

JOHN T. FOX on Oct 16, 9:07 PM said:
@Founders1791: WHEN I WAS A KID I COULD GET 2 PLAIN HAMBURGERS, FRIES AND A SODA FOR $2.02. I DON'T EAT OUT AT ALL ANY MORE. CRACKER BARREL IS THE BEST PLACE TO EAT OUT NOW. GUNS ON THE WALL, THEY SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND AMERICAN, CLEAN AND HIGH QUALITY FOOD UNDER $10.

That... has to be a parody of your average news site commenter, it is too perfect with the ALL CAPS and just everything.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Rutibex posted:

i would go every day if the introduced some better games. like maybe McDonalds: Talisman the Magical Burger game

Let's just call it what it is: McLottery.

I remember back in the mid-90s when they had a Disney trivia scratch off game card thing they were doing in the wild west days of the internet people were pretty much posting on newsgroups the correct answers for people could win their prizes.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The last two times I have eaten at McDs I have gotten a super bad headache and diarrhea. That's my story.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

City of Tampa posted:

this is the only closed mcdonalds i have ever seen

here, have another one:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7811039,-122.4200683,3a,75y,337.41h,89.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_F_V4y2AHOYPyb4HDMGkbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It used to always be full of of homeless people. And now that it's closed it's still full of homeless people.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rah! posted:

here, have another one:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7811039,-122.4200683,3a,75y,337.41h,89.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_F_V4y2AHOYPyb4HDMGkbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It used to always be full of of homeless people. And now that it's closed it's still full of homeless people.

i wish the one in berkeley would do the same, can't get any worse

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

City of Tampa posted:

lower_class_america.jpg

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There was a neat urban exploration thing I saw a few years ago of a closed McD's, but I can't find it now. I do find this, though:

http://weburbanist.com/2013/12/15/past-food-10-creepy-closed-abandoned-mcdonalds/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW3WXiehIVc

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 21, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was a neat urban exploration thing I saw a few years ago of a closed McD's, but I can't find it now. I do find this, though:

http://weburbanist.com/2013/12/15/past-food-10-creepy-closed-abandoned-mcdonalds/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW3WXiehIVc

thats a badass mcdonalds location

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
When did somethingawful become somethingfroufrou? Mcdonald's is awesome: Fries, Mcdoubles, M&M Mcflurries, and Chicken Nuggets are all top rate chow in my book. They need to put Mcdoubles back on the dollar menu, and maybe try putting Large Fries there too. Small/Med Fries are dumb as poo poo and shouldn't even exist. loving portions for a small mouse, it's unjust. I'll let you guys get back to your French Cuisine made by your personal chefs, and I'll get back to my tony's pizza and jerking myself off to sleep.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Xaris posted:

Starfleet's best McDs, or least it used to be until the Federation started filling up their menus with artisan Vulcan and Klingon crap. They need to get back to basics and just have replicators churning out shakes and burgers.

naem
May 29, 2011

Xaris posted:

teh space nipple

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
An advertising thing I read a few decades ago compared the 'golden arches' design to making customers think of a pair of tits.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

City of Tampa posted:

Speaking of Clearwater, Florida, I just saw this on imgur:

:911:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Harald posted:

maybe they have kurds in their way

How long you been looking for a place to bust this one out?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

MrChupon posted:

That... has to be a parody of your average news site commenter, it is too perfect with the ALL CAPS and just everything.

Caps or no caps, they all read like this. One guys proudly asserted he hadn't been in a McDonald's in 40 years, then derisively confirmed that they have all been invaded by mexicans in recent years.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Rah! posted:

here, have another one:

Did they just lock them inside?:ohdear:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

That will give the rainforest some time to regrow

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

criscodisco posted:

It's the perfect way to solve the homeless problem.

They can't be homeless if they're locked up, dead inside a building.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

criscodisco posted:

They put the fence up because of homeless people and the building constantly getting tagged (in SF you have to paint over graffiti even on abandoned buildings that get tagged everyday, or else the city will eventually do it and then charge you a poo poo ton of money). I would think a lovely chain-link fence wouldn't stop homeless people from going in and out if they really wanted to, though it is possible that it worked, and there is now a microclimate of trapped homeless (formerly, now!) people within that building, who live off of rats and fungus, and the occasional tourist lured from outside. In 500 years they will have evolved into something superhuman, and will emerge into the post apocalyptic wastes of the old world, riding the armored shopping carts that they built within those walls, and they will conquer all survivors.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rah! posted:

Speaking of Clearwater, Florida, I just saw this on imgur:

:911:

if the pussy fits, you must acquit

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

McDonalds Horror probably isn't the kind of image they want to portray of their establishment

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Wicker Man posted:

Do they still do that poo poo where it's cheaper to order 4 4-piece boxes of nuggets instead of the 20 box?

Are you surprised that 16 nuggets would be cheaper than 20?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

johnny sack posted:

Companies get bulk discounts, and he's as big as any company. It's only fair.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

McDonald’s Shares Hit Record, as Turnaround Shows Progress
U.S. quarterly same-restaurant sales grow for first time in two years

quote:

The Golden Arches are getting some of their gleam back, as McDonald’s Corp. reported an upturn in sales and profit that offered the first significant signs of progress in Chief Executive Steve Easterbrook’s turnaround effort.

The burger giant Thursday said sales at U.S. restaurants open at least 13 months rose 0.9% in the third quarter—beating analysts’ projection for a 0.2% decline and marking the first quarterly increase in that key measure in two years. Same-store sales also rose in all its other regions, and net income jumped 23%.

Investors cheered the results. McDonald’s shares surged 8.1% Thursday—their biggest daily increase in seven years—to $110.87, the highest close on record. The shares were the best performer Thursday in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, adding $7.9 billion to McDonald’s market value and leaving them up about 18% for 2015.

gently caress you to all the haters, gently caress you to everyone who didnt believe

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

No McGriddle on the all day breakfast menu. I mean really it should be the CEO of McDs being griddled by a Senate committee over that failed policy.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
McDonald's reminds me of getting the pancake/sausage patty breakfast combo as a small child and always spilling the god drat syrup in the car and oh my god it's on the seat belt, DAD it's EVERYWHERE pull over, I have to hork into this napkin and on myself to try to get it off.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They introduced all-day breakfast, something people have been wanting for decades. Maybe they'll coast on that for a few decades before bringing back the dollar menu.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

johnny sack posted:

My math is augmented by big macs.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

criscodisco posted:

How does franchising work? I know the majority of the locations are franchised locations, and when I worked there the franchise license was $1 million. Now, do the franchisees have to give McDonalds corporate a percentage of their profits, or is it a one-time fee for the name? If that's the case, I can see how they would go under.

How franchising works is that franchisees get raped. I have not read a McDonalds agreement but have seen enough franchise agreements.

They will have to buy their poo poo from the franchisor or the franchisor's designated supplier (guess how that works!), they will pay marketing support fees, franchise fees on some sort of percentage basis, as many up-front fees as the franchisor can manage (initial training and documentation fees for example, plus an up-front "franchise fee" that supposedly covers documentation and a degree of initial risk for the franchisor). They may also be required to contribute to capital costs, depending on the model, e.g. come up with the land or the buildings or fund improvements when the franchisor says so.

Sounds bad so far? It gets better. The franchisor owns not only the intellectual property it licences to the franchisee (that's sort of the point of franchising) but all the goodwill in the franchised business, so the franchisee is basically working for the the franchisor and getting only whatever profit is left after it has been rear end-raped by the franchisor. In many cases you don't even get anything as legally substantial as a "licence", because the franchisor doesn't want the franchisee to have ownership of any independently valuable assets arising from the business, only what purely contractual rights (hint: none) it has under the franchise agreement.

McDonalds will be able to move the franchise on to someone else for any number of easily-manufactured reasons. Also, franchise agreements are typically for a limited term, so if the franchisor can find someone they'd like to put into your location prior to any renewal date, it can do so. Any compensation you may be entitled to can also be easily withheld if the franchisor wants to, pretty much in the way a sleazy landlord manages to find reasons not to return an impoverished tenant's security deposit.

The whole point of a well-organised franchise system is to let the franchisor exploit the labour and capital of the franchisee to grow the franchisor's business, extract significant profits from the franchise via one-time and recurring fees (these should pay for the operation and risk of the franchised part of your business plus margin), and de-risk expansion of the franchisor's business (because it's the franchisee's money at stake). The franchisor's objective in most cases is basically to drip-feed the franchisee just enough income to keep them working, but not so much that they can think about working for themselves.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Saga posted:

How franchising works is that franchisees get raped. I have not read a McDonalds agreement but have seen enough franchise agreements.

They will have to buy their poo poo from the franchisor or the franchisor's designated supplier (guess how that works!), they will pay marketing support fees, franchise fees on some sort of percentage basis, as many up-front fees as the franchisor can manage (initial training and documentation fees for example, plus an up-front "franchise fee" that supposedly covers documentation and a degree of initial risk for the franchisor). They may also be required to contribute to capital costs, depending on the model, e.g. come up with the land or the buildings or fund improvements when the franchisor says so.

Sounds bad so far? It gets better. The franchisor owns not only the intellectual property it licences to the franchisee (that's sort of the point of franchising) but all the goodwill in the franchised business, so the franchisee is basically working for the the franchisor and getting only whatever profit is left after it has been rear end-raped by the franchisor. In many cases you don't even get anything as legally substantial as a "licence", because the franchisor doesn't want the franchisee to have ownership of any independently valuable assets arising from the business, only what purely contractual rights (hint: none) it has under the franchise agreement.

McDonalds will be able to move the franchise on to someone else for any number of easily-manufactured reasons. Also, franchise agreements are typically for a limited term, so if the franchisor can find someone they'd like to put into your location prior to any renewal date, it can do so. Any compensation you may be entitled to can also be easily withheld if the franchisor wants to, pretty much in the way a sleazy landlord manages to find reasons not to return an impoverished tenant's security deposit.

The whole point of a well-organised franchise system is to let the franchisor exploit the labour and capital of the franchisee to grow the franchisor's business, extract significant profits from the franchise via one-time and recurring fees (these should pay for the operation and risk of the franchised part of your business plus margin), and de-risk expansion of the franchisor's business (because it's the franchisee's money at stake). The franchisor's objective in most cases is basically to drip-feed the franchisee just enough income to keep them working, but not so much that they can think about working for themselves.

i love a good egg mcmuffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Sometimes when I'm out and about and there's a McDonalds right there I'll pop in and get two $1 Hot 'n Spicy chicken sandwiches and a cup of water for a quick snack. Those things are pretty addicting.

If you want a burger though there are five million better options. At the very least get some Whataburger if you're going for fast food.

• Locked thread