Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

alkanphel posted:

... It wouldn't make sense to keep the same FFL distance because that makes the mirrorless camera exactly the same size as the existing DSLRs. So I do think they will release a new line of lenses for it because there are very few EF lenses I would want to put on a mirrorless camera too.

I also have the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 which is longer snd weighs another 200g.

The back focus distance is a thing, eaten by my mount adapter here, but ... not really that big of a deal. I also think we'd maybe see a new mount, but, from day 1, like with the APS-C EOS M line, there will be a mount adapter for people who want the mirrorless form with EF glass.

windex fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

alkanphel posted:

It wouldn't make sense to keep the same FFL distance because that makes the mirrorless camera exactly the same size as the existing DSLRs.

lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

alkanphel posted:

Not any time soon but eventually. And if their EOS-M is any indication, the first few versions won't be that amazing either. It wouldn't make sense to keep the same FFL distance because that makes the mirrorless camera exactly the same size as the existing DSLRs. So I do think they will release a new line of lenses for it because there are very few EF lenses I would want to put on a mirrorless camera too.
But smaller isn't the only reason for switching to mirrorless+EVF. Canikon's problem is there is no easy way for them to switch that doesn't either annoy their large user base (by depreciating EF before the majority are ready to go EVF) or increase their costs by developing and maintaining more lens lines. I do think that EVFs will eventually replace all OVFs, but we're not there. I can simply imagine a scenario where Canon aren't ready to commit to a new mount, but do an EVF version of a body for the video benefits. They effectively already do so with their C100/C300/C500 video cameras.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
I don't understand the body depth/thickness as a problem anyway. In order to have a nice comfortable grip. It needs to stick out as far (at least) as the lens mount would on an SLR anyway. So even taking the mirror away and making the rest of the body thinner , you end up either with the same basic dimensions because of the grip , or the ergonomics of a bar of soap. I can understand and appreciate smaller wide angle lenses due to shorter back focus possibilities , but body thickness is not a thing I worry about.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Plus EVF increase the power consumption, yet a smaller body decreases the space that can be allocated to a decent size battery. The battery in an A7ii is 1020mAh compared to 1865mAh in a 5DIII.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Why would people rely on the internal battery anyway ? Don't people get that trigger grip, which can handle 4x aa batteries?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Pablo Bluth posted:

But smaller isn't the only reason for switching to mirrorless+EVF. Canikon's problem is there is no easy way for them to switch that doesn't either annoy their large user base (by depreciating EF before the majority are ready to go EVF) or increase their costs by developing and maintaining more lens lines. I do think that EVFs will eventually replace all OVFs, but we're not there. I can simply imagine a scenario where Canon aren't ready to commit to a new mount, but do an EVF version of a body for the video benefits. They effectively already do so with their C100/C300/C500 video cameras.

On the Canikon mirrorless front: I own a Nikon 1 V3 in addition to the M3 but it's my point and shoot. I mostly own them because in either case I got a reasonably good deal on them/components of them and the entire internet hates them so I love them.

Both mirrorless cameras - the Canon EOS M3 and the Nikon 1 V3, are good cameras that do what they're supposed to do, which is take photos. The M3 is a little bit more my preference for things, as the Nikon doesn't do relatively basic things for mirrorless cameras like focus peaking, or even basics other lesser cameras have down like automatic exposure bracketing, but it's also designed for the monster overbuilt AF that makes the 1D X / 5D mkIII look like a grandma.

So, where the EOS M3 is leaning more on being a real APS-C DSLR type without a mirror, the Nikon 1 V3 is basically a super upgraded point-and-shoot with interchangeable lenses.

Both of them have a place, tbh. They just aren't going to win over anyone who doesn't buy/rent/borrow one and try to use it for awhile. The key difference to me is, the EOS M3 I use more like a manual camera and use it for artsy poo poo with real lenses and the Nikon 1 V3 I pretty much use exclusively in aperture priority mode with auto ISO up to 800 and single point AF (and even then mostly in monochrome with a red filter to take advantage of that sweet no-AA filter sharpness).

On the other side of that, I would never take F mount lenses and throw them on the 1v3 because of the insane 2.7x crop factor.

I would be perfectly happy with a FF Canon MILC that took EF lenses even if it was a little bigger, so long as it had an EVF at least as an option (bonus points if it takes the same EVF I already own for the M3), a quick shutter (at least 1/8000), and a sensor with good low light performance - at least as good as the 5D mkIII's. The vast majority of the amazing lenses I see out in real world use come in EF mount, and most of my personal investment is there. I don't see why that should be screwed with unless there's a huge advantage, and 18 millimeters of space saving isn't it (which is all the back focus distance gap is on the EOS M to EF adapter once you subtract the mount flanges on either side).

To try to rationalize why I think this: I do a ton of handheld night photography and I rented a 5D mkIII this weekend as I noted I was debating buying one recently in the thread, and the mirror is really goddamned annoying. Locking up the mirror means using the fixed LCD. No focus peaking means largely using the AF. All of these things I do not like when combined. If I wanted to set up a tripod for every shot, it would be perfect. This is why I stopped using the 70D. I passed on buying one for now as a result.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

windex posted:

To try to rationalize why I think this: I do a ton of handheld night photography and I rented a 5D mkIII this weekend as I noted I was debating buying one recently in the thread, and the mirror is really goddamned annoying. Locking up the mirror means using the fixed LCD. No focus peaking means largely using the AF. All of these things I do not like when combined. If I wanted to set up a tripod for every shot, it would be perfect. This is why I stopped using the 70D. I passed on buying one for now as a result.

How do you take handheld photos at night that aren't completely blurry at conditions so dark an OVF becomes unusable (or do you have less sensitive eyes than average)?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

blowfish posted:

How do you take handheld photos at night that aren't completely blurry at conditions so dark an OVF becomes unusable (or do you have less sensitive eyes than average)?

Part of the reason I like the mirrorless cameras is because I have a lot of time spent shooting with a vintage waistfinder camera that sadly has not survived to date. Using a eye-level VF of any kind makes you less stable, not more, because your vision constantly compensates for the shake out of the most prone part of your body - your head. Plus, this waistfinder is backlit and can actually see better in the dark than anyone can.

I can generally hold myself still better than the general populace based on a sample size of people asking me how the gently caress I take photos at night, me explaining it, and them trying it. I have been doing it this way for a long time due to the previously mentioned waistfinder camera. This is why I had a 70D, which had one of the early tilt-screens on a DSLR.. but its not as great compared to the tilt screen on the M3 because it gets in the way of holding the camera.

Pixel peeping will show some grain even at ISO100 due to the longer exposure times. Not much shake, though. Images click through to full size Q100 JPEG's out of Lightroom with default settings and no lens corrections, so there's going to be some vignetting and distortion on the edges of the frame.

These are not great photos, they're just recent.

Sigma EF 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM A on EOS M3 @ ISO100, f/1.4, 1/13s

Sigma EF 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM A on EOS M3 @ ISO100, f/1.4, 1/4s

I have a lot of low light with the Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM as well but since that's an IS lens we'll call it cheating.

Do keep in mind that the camera, mount adapter, and lens combined is about ~1kg/2.5lbs in either case. I can actually get much more stable shots with the little EF-M lenses, I just hate the little EF-M lenses.

At 50% downscale (which is still slightly too big for web at 3000x2000), they pretty much looks sharp as can be and that's also above the level of defects you'll see assuming 300 dpi when printing most sane sizes at A4 or 8x10 and below.

To get photos at this quality (which I will call "okay but not tripod") handheld in the dark you just need a good cross-shoulder strap that goes into the tripod mount. I use a blackrapid cross shot. Set up the frame at chest height and push away the camera/lens on either side so the strap is tight and you have your three points (which is more secure than your slack arms holding a camera to your wobbly head), then: exhale, double check the on-camera level or frame marks and focus, and snap away. Try not to forget to inhale after the shutter does its thing.

I do have a tripod in my everything bag (it's a mefoto daytrip), but setting it up is a pain and I really only use it for long exposures at night and landscape in open areas during the day.

windex fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 27, 2015

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cross posting here from the Buy/Sell thread

pseudonordic posted:

Trying to sell some lenses that I don't use very much in an attempt to be somewhat responsible.

Canon 24-70 F/2.8L Mk I - Lens, caps, and hood - $925 (includes shipping w/ insurance and Paypal)

I got it from KEH in December 2014 for $1065 in EX condition. Been a good lens but I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. My Sigma 35 1.4 is holding things down on the wide end.

Canon 85 F/1.8 - lens and caps - $275

I got this from KEH a while ago and I used to use it a lot but sits in my bag since I got a 70-200 2.8L IS.

PM is probably the best way to contact me but I'll be watching this thread.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just switched out my old Nifty Fifty for the new STM version. I'm not sure if there is really any difference in image quality but holy poo poo it feels so much better. And the AF works without any hunting (and without anouncing my presence to anything with ears in a 5 mile radius). It's also nice to have a wider focus ring.

Has anyone else here done the upgrade? Opinions?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I got one and then sold it a week later (right here on SA actually). Much improved lens, just not of use to me since I have a 85 1.8 for portraits and a 40mm pancake for group shots. 50mm is just such a weird thing. Marketed as "normal" since about the time Moses wandered the desert but we've had to wait until only recently to get lenses that actually don't abberate and are sharp across the frame wide open (otus, sigma art). The world's most "popular" focal length for which nobody bothered to perfect the lens design for a million years.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Popelmon posted:

I just switched out my old Nifty Fifty for the new STM version. I'm not sure if there is really any difference in image quality but holy poo poo it feels so much better. And the AF works without any hunting (and without anouncing my presence to anything with ears in a 5 mile radius). It's also nice to have a wider focus ring.

Has anyone else here done the upgrade? Opinions?

I am hesitant. Everyone hates the 1.4 50 for all its focusing issues, but still - I get way more "magic" pictures out of it than any other lens I've tried. That includes renting all the crazy hard hitters (even the 1.2L)

windex
Aug 2, 2006

0toShifty posted:

I am hesitant. Everyone hates the 1.4 50 for all its focusing issues, but still - I get way more "magic" pictures out of it than any other lens I've tried. That includes renting all the crazy hard hitters (even the 1.2L)

I hate the Sigma 50 f/1.4 A for its focusing issues on Canon mounts but its a beautiful lens in manual focus and 80% of the time in AF.

If you like it, you like it. I found the STM nifty fifty too soft for my tastes until closer to f/4 vs f/2ish on the Sigma, so the nifty fifty was gifted to someone learning photography on an old 50D and I carry the Sigma.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Seamonster posted:

The world's most "popular" focal length for which nobody bothered to perfect the lens design for a million years.

:colbert:

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I just bought the Canon 50 1.2, and it's taking a whole lot of camera time away from my Sigma 35 1.4. I'm evaluating the Canon 24 1.4 in my next wedding to see if I'd maybe want to swap the 35 for the 24, though. I've done a few family sessions and the 50 rarely left the camera. It's a tough choice, though, because my 35 has been just an absolute workhorse.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

dakana posted:

I just bought the Canon 50 1.2, and it's taking a whole lot of camera time away from my Sigma 35 1.4. I'm evaluating the Canon 24 1.4 in my next wedding to see if I'd maybe want to swap the 35 for the 24, though. I've done a few family sessions and the 50 rarely left the camera. It's a tough choice, though, because my 35 has been just an absolute workhorse.

I might be selling a 24 f/1.4 shortly here. Just waiting to hear if a friend wants it or not. It's in great condition though and was a favorite lens for shooting events in available light.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

dakana posted:

Just curious, why the Canon 1.2 over the Sigma 1.4?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Just curious, why the Canon 1.2 over the Sigma 1.4?

The 1.2L is pretty much the sharpest fast lens available. The Sigma is optically great (although I think it feels a bit cheaply made myself) but the Canon is a step above.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Helen Highwater posted:

The 1.2L is pretty much the sharpest fast lens available. The Sigma is optically great (although I think it feels a bit cheaply made myself) but the Canon is a step above.

It also has a known design issue of focus shift. You can learn to compensate for it or you can get a lens that doesn't have it. :colbert:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

pseudonordic posted:

It also has a known design issue of focus shift. You can learn to compensate for it or you can get a lens that doesn't have it. :colbert:

And the corners are not so great even at f/8. And the sigma is handily sharper and has better contrast at every equivalent aperture. It just can't open up that extra 1/3 stop, and doesn't have the magical "rendering" that makes canon fanboys sound like leica glowmeisters sometimes. (Although the bokeh is really dreamy on that lens, I will admit that)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

timrenzi574 posted:

And the corners are not so great even at f/8. And the sigma is handily sharper and has better contrast at every equivalent aperture. It just can't open up that extra 1/3 stop, and doesn't have the magical "rendering" that makes canon fanboys sound like leica glowmeisters sometimes. (Although the bokeh is really dreamy on that lens, I will admit that)

I'm happy enough with my Sigma 35 1.4 A shooting at F/1.6 that I'm ready to plunk down for the 50 Art and 24 Art.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Carrying a 1.2 on a modern sensor is so loving retarded. It focus shifts (and AF speed's not great), and it's not that sharp to begin with. Sure the bokeh is dreamy or whatever, but buying it for its performance is kidding yourself.
It'd be a decent option if no one but canon made 50's, but that's not the case.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I like the way the 1.2 renders OOF areas :shrug:

Also, I got a good used deal on it.

Also, and probably most importantly, CPS will service it cheaply, quickly, and give me a loaner if I need one, and that's worth it to me.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

evil_bunnY posted:

Carrying a 1.2 on a modern sensor is so loving retarded.

Way I see it, there are better ways to spend that money. Like a 135mm L for real serious portrait work and then some fuckoff thing like a pancake for wider. Those 2 together still costs a good deal less than a 50mm 1.2

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Given performance and price, I think the Canon 50mm f1.4 is the best option.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
...if the AF motor doesn't break on you. It has a reputation for being somewhat fragile.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
The new tamron 45mm makes a strong case for price /performance now. Priced in between the Sigma & Canon 1.4's

2/3 stop slower , but adds Tamrons excellent IS
Weighs significantly less than the sigma (almost the same size though)
IQ trails a tiny bit behind the Sigma, but is light years ahead of the Canon

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Seamonster posted:

...if the AF motor doesn't break on you. It has a reputation for being somewhat fragile.

I've owned two copies of this lens over the last ten years. I purchased one in 2005 when I got into photography and I sold it in 2011 when I got a 7D and wanted to fund crop lenses. I promptly got a 5D3 in 2012 and sold all my crop gear and got another 50 F/1.4.

The only time I've had any issues witht he AF on either copy is when I dropped the first lens from 24" onto concrete which resulted in focus misalignment. A $120 trip to Canon Repair Services and it was good as new.

That said, I keep my hood on it reversed when stored in my bag and I always pull focus so that the front element is retracted before I put it away.

YMMV.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why doesn't the 5d3 let you set exposure compensation when you're in manual mode with auto ISO? I messed up a sequence during a shoot because I was used to my 7d2.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

Why doesn't the 5d3 let you set exposure compensation when you're in manual mode with auto ISO? I messed up a sequence during a shoot because I was used to my 7d2.

Pro feature brah. Don't try to understand it

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It's such a pain in the rear end. My cheap plastic Sony babbycamera does perfectly competent auto ISO in M mode, but not my 5D2. But hey, I guess manual really means manual in the world of Canon. At least until 2014 I guess. Or is it just the 7D2 that finally incorporated that feature, and not the newer rebels? I assume the 1DX has had it all along?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It's such a pain in the rear end. My cheap plastic Sony babbycamera does perfectly competent auto ISO in M mode, but not my 5D2. But hey, I guess manual really means manual in the world of Canon. At least until 2014 I guess. Or is it just the 7D2 that finally incorporated that feature, and not the newer rebels? I assume the 1DX has had it all along?

Just the 1dx and 7d2. The 1dx got it as a firmware update in 2013? I think.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Seamonster posted:

Mine horribly screwed up when I bought it new, but I didn't realize it because it was babby's first lens on babby's first slr. I just thought I was retarded and couldn't focus for poo poo. After much experimentation, and finally mounting a friends 50 1.8 - I discovered the issue.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I had too many jagermeisters at a friend's wedding, and somehow managed to make my 6d + 135mm fly, crash and tumble onto concrete. It has three small scuff marks and everything works perfectly. You can say what you want about the dynamic range, but these things are built like tanks!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

KinkyJohn posted:

I had too many jagermeisters at a friend's wedding, and somehow managed to make my 6d + 135mm fly, crash and tumble onto concrete. It has three small scuff marks and everything works perfectly. You can say what you want about the dynamic range, but these things are built like tanks!

Seriously. It's been a month since dropping my 6D out of a semi, and it's definitely 100% fine. Did yours also violently fling the battery out and pop the card door on impact?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alpenglow posted:

Did yours also violently fling the battery out and pop the card door on impact?

I know mine did. And it was a very short fall to the car floor off my lap.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

As much as I bitch about the 5D MkIII, I now own one. My buddy works for a production company and just got me three weekend jobs that pay twice the cost of the body but include a couple hours of pre-show shooting each day, one this weekend, and two in January.

I just went to scout the venue for this weekend in Kanda and I will need wide angle lenses on a FF to do anything, the 24mm on the APS-Cs can't hit the whole stage or crowd from any of the points I can shoot from as there is no balcony. Walked immediately to the camera store.

So, it does boil down to what you need.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
My old 1000D/XS has finally imploded after 6 years of use, which means yay, an excuse to upgrade. I've actually mostly got FF lenses, so i'm pretty enthusiastic about upgrading to the 6D. How serious is this talk of a 6D replacement on the horizon? Should I wait for its replacement or just dive in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
There will likely be one announced next year if Canon sticks to the expected refresh cycle for it. But, I would not expect it till the end of the year, the 1DX2 & 5D4 should come first