Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

X-O posted:

Amazing episode. I'm going to miss this show.

The TV IV › The Muppets - "Even God rested on Sunday"

You're drat right that's the title.

Do we know for sure it won't be renewed or is it just assumed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

YorexTheMad posted:

Do we know for sure it won't be renewed or is it just assumed?

It could go either way, I'm working on the assumption that the world is a cruel place.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JerikTelorian posted:

Fozzie is getting a lot more attention tonight, though Rizzo might be stealing the show.

Rizzo steals any show or movie he appears in, he's always been great.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Dave Syndrome posted:

It's been a while since I had a "how the hell did they do that" Muppet moment. Piggy's apology song when she's being carried by the dancers definitely was one though.

Seriously. At first I thought it was just a remote-controlled head, but then the rest of her started moving around, too, while the camera does a long, sweeping motion. Pretty good effect.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The paper bag inflating and deflating as Skeeter blew into it was a nice touch.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
"I love Sean Penn"
"Champagne…what are we celebrating?"
"No, Sean Penn"
"Yeah, Champagne"

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I have an associate's degree. I use a towel.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

HIJK posted:

This is the best apology musical holy poo poo

That was seriously great but the shrimp muppet (what's his name?) isn't getting enough love for the "as a fan of salt water... do you have a seester?" line :riker:

Rizzo is the rat, right? He's also great any time he's on camera. "I got pulled over with a bunch of hidden compartments I couldn't explain!" "Nothing in em though, right? What's the problem?"

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What this show needs is variety acts

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just don't think this show is the show I'm looking for. Every episode feels like it's a wasted opportunity for the incredible slapstick that the Muppets were known for, and while there are good jokes in every episode, most of what's there is stuff other comedies have done but better.

Basically, it feels like the writers a writing a show to be acted out by regular humans instead of puppets, and losing out majorly as a result.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Never use your real name" got a good chuckle. The Band are great in this.

But I really need more Rowlf, like, stat.

I'm glad Fozzie's girlfriend came back, I've been having Riki Lindhome withdrawal every since Another Period's finale.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It just started airing over here (:scotland:) and yeah, I have no complaints for the most part in terms of tone and such.

Hopefully it finds it's niche (PG-13 plus Children of not stupid people) and keeps putting.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

WarLocke posted:

That was seriously great but the shrimp muppet (what's his name?) isn't getting enough love for the "as a fan of salt water... do you have a seester?" line :riker:

Rizzo is the rat, right? He's also great any time he's on camera. "I got pulled over with a bunch of hidden compartments I couldn't explain!" "Nothing in em though, right? What's the problem?"

Pepe the Prawn, if I remember correctly.

His interplay with Rizzo is great and I am happy that they are on the writing team together.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

CommaToes posted:

Pepe the Prawn, if I remember correctly.

King Prawn, okay.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Could someone remind me what part the "even god rested on Sunday" line came from? There were some brief moments I must have missed because I don't remember that line.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

lifts cats over head posted:

Could someone remind me what part the "even god rested on Sunday" line came from? There were some brief moments I must have missed because I don't remember that line.

Pepe is bragging about how good he is with women and someone points out that he's hanging out watching Fozzie's act instead of out on a date. That line is his response.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Full season pickup to 16 episodes :toot:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The new episode was good but still with more of the same issues I've had so far: more drama between Miss Piggy and her guest star, Kermit disapproves, heavy focus on Fozzy doing something unrelated, and then the episode just kind of ends without much resolution. The show is not very serialized so it doesn't make sense to not have the episodes feel self-contained.

The dialogue is great but it's not enough to carry it if these uninspired stories are all they're going to put the characters in.

inthesto posted:

Basically, it feels like the writers a writing a show to be acted out by regular humans instead of puppets, and losing out majorly as a result.

I disagree, every Muppet is very much in character and their dialogue feels pretty organic. To me, it's the situations the show is putting them in that feel kind of generic and written for anyone.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I disagree, every Muppet is very much in character and their dialogue feels pretty organic. To me, it's the situations the show is putting them in that feel kind of generic and written for anyone.

That's not really the gripe I'm voicing. I agree with you that the characters feel like good modernizations of who they are, but the writers just aren't utilizing the fact that they're muppets. I've mentioned it before in this thread, but The Muppet Show had characters regularly being blown up, eaten, or otherwise suffering slapstick abuse that you can't do to a real person. This show doesn't take advantage of that at all.

For an example straight from an episode: The interview segment where Fozzie talks about being in nature and then gets a fly in his mouth. That scene could have just as easily been acted out by a real human. I half expected Fozzie to go into full on freakout mode and run around making choking noises until he finally runs face first into the tree and knocks himself out cold. It's a slapstick gag that could be turned up to 20 with muppets but not with humans, and it hurts to see that opportunity missed several times an episode.

Meanwhile, the roast beef sandwich bag joke was funny, but I could imagine Kenneth Parcell doing the exact same joke and probably even doing it better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this show has amazing props on hand and it's disappointing to see them not being used.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

inthesto posted:

For an example straight from an episode: The interview segment where Fozzie talks about being in nature and then gets a fly in his mouth. That scene could have just as easily been acted out by a real human. I half expected Fozzie to go into full on freakout mode and run around making choking noises until he finally runs face first into the tree and knocks himself out cold. It's a slapstick gag that could be turned up to 20 with muppets but not with humans, and it hurts to see that opportunity missed several times an episode.

That's the same episode where Fozzy gets caught in a bear trap and trips balls after being shot with a Tranq dart.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Axel Serenity posted:

Full season pickup to 16 episodes :toot:

That's not a full season, that's just three extra episodes which is kind of an unusual extension. Not sure if that's a good sign or if they're just filling a hole before a mid-season show takes over. A full season would be 22 episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

J-Spot posted:

That's not a full season, that's just three extra episodes which is kind of an unusual extension. Not sure if that's a good sign or if they're just filling a hole before a mid-season show takes over. A full season would be 22 episodes.

TV seasons can be any number of episodes, though? I'm taking this news to mean that they're calling the three extra episodes a "full season pickup" in order to 1) gin up interest in the show and 2) at least hint that they intend to do a second season if at all possible.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the show, except for when Piggy is on screen. I've never been a fan but I find her totally unbearable. One of the worst characters on any show ever. Not funny, not endearing, just awful and annoying non stop.

Burn Miss Piggy. Serve everyone bacon.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I like the show, except for when Piggy is on screen. I've never been a fan but I find her totally unbearable. One of the worst characters on any show ever. Not funny, not endearing, just awful and annoying non stop.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

TV seasons can be any number of episodes, though? I'm taking this news to mean that they're calling the three extra episodes a "full season pickup" in order to 1) gin up interest in the show and 2) at least hint that they intend to do a second season if at all possible.

Hopefully this is what it means, and not just giving the show a chance to have a proper conclusion. But if so, at least 16 episodes of "adult Muppets" would make a nice Blu-ray.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, exactly. Piggy has always been the worst Muppet which makes it even more annoying that she is so heavily featured, added to the fact that every episode so far has involved her feuding with her guest star.

Actually, you know, I don't know why it couldn't have just been a variety show like they're famous for instead of Up Late With Miss Piggy That would give them the opportunity to include their trademark slapstick.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 30, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
They should just have it be a different show each season. At the end of this season Up Late with Miss Piggy gets canned, season 2 they have to make a 3-camera muppet sitcom work, etc etc

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WarLocke posted:

They should just have it be a different show each season. At the end of this season Up Late with Miss Piggy gets canned, season 2 they have to make a 3-camera muppet sitcom work, etc etc

That would actually be a good idea. At this rate she's going to run out of people that want to be on her show, anyway.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Oh man, if they make a muppet mockumentary TV show about the muppets making a muppet based mockumentary Office rip-off I think my meta gauges will explode. Its just muppets and mockumentaries all the way down.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

WarLocke posted:

This is a brilliant loving idea.

ETA: Season 3 Pigs in Spaaaaaaace
Season 4 How to Get Away With Muppets
Season 5 (as the presidential election cycle rolls 'round again) Muppet News Tonight (playing it almost straight like a blend of TDS and when Kermit would guest-host for Larry King and/or do reportage on the Street)

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 31, 2015

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

J-Spot posted:

The network and producers are calling it a full-season order. The shortened amount is being stressed as due to the performance of ABC's other titles. The Muppets is doing really well for them on the whole, but they'll probably be rearranging the lineup elsewhere.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

WarLocke posted:

:staredog: This is amazing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen much of this show but so far Uncle Deadly is my favorite.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

"Don listen to tzis thing." Pepe the Prawn is the best. He should be a character on every show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Put on a robe, Ken!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
FUNYUN!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
You guys get paid?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Earth doesn't revolve around you! It revolves around the moon, and that is why we have winter!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That bit in ep 3 with Kermit imitating Kenshiro during him and fozzie's "You the man" fight was just fantastic :allears:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Has Denise been in the show since the pilot? I completely forgot about that plotline until this episode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The stuff with the band was probably the funniest stuff of the season. I was wondering if every band member is based on a real musician. I know Animal is based on Keith Moon, former drummer for The Who. The muppet who was driving the van reminded me of another one, but I can't put my finger on it.

• Locked thread