Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think he has. The car is nowhere in the rain when that kind of downforce does matter, sure they'll leapfrog lotus and sauber but that's not exactly world beating performance.

i think you're grossly underestimating how awful that engine is. you can't expect rain to be a real equalizer when they're 200bhp down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

i think you're grossly underestimating how awful that engine is. you can't expect rain to be a real equalizer when they're 200bhp down.

I fully expect them to be 3rd in the WCC next year, but you're being way too optimistic if you think they're going to be a contender. That chassis just isn't on par with something like Red Bull or Mercedes, maybe they'll fix that but I'm skeptical. I'd love to see Alonso win another championship but its become a crazy longshot now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

you're being way too optimistic if you think they're going to be a contender

cool can you quote the post where i said they would be title contenders

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

cool can you quote the post where i said they would be title contenders

No.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The aero package on the McLaren is supposedly sound

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Shame they can't fit the rest of the engine in it.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
If they still had the Mercedes engine they'd be fighting Red Bull or Williams not Mercedes, lets be honest.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Tsaedje posted:

Gutierrez is one of the worst F1 drivers I have ever seen. Worse than Maldonado. Not quite as bad as Ide.

He also looks likes a ventriloquist dummy in press conferences.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

djssniper posted:

And what a sound it makes.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

What ever happened to sam "Team killer" michael? I never see him anymore.

I'm reasonably sure he changed to V8SC?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Whitey Ford posted:

I'm reasonably sure he changed to V8SC?

I could've sworn Nissan hired him for WEC.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Tsaedje posted:

Gutierrez is one of the worst F1 drivers I have ever seen. Worse than Maldonado. Not quite as bad as Ide.

Those Ferrari engines come at a high price. He always looked out his depth in F1 so i expect him and big Malds to provide much carnage in the midfield/back of the grid next season

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

Nah.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

djssniper posted:

Are they going fast enough to know that for sure?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Tracks with 225 mph straights are poo poo -Goons.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

n8r posted:

"Abu Dhabi is a great track because it has the longest straight on the F1 calendar"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

n8r posted:

It wouldn't be poo poo if achieving 225mph required any semblance of skill and wasn't just based on what car you're in.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sky needs to fire any one of their people and get Bruno full time. Or fire all of their people.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Xenoid posted:

"Abu Dhabi is a great track because it has the longest straight on the F1 calendar"

Do they go 225 there?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

El Hefe posted:

If they still had the Mercedes engine they'd be fighting Red Bull or Williams not Mercedes, lets be honest.

No, because they would be using Mobile fuel and that barely had them competitive with Farce India last time.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Gutierrez only got the job because they needed an american driver

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I'm still looking forward to seeing how the team gets on next season. Being American I'm sure they'll try and come out all guns blazing. Can't knock them for that.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sky needs to fire any one of their people and get Bruno full time. Or fire all of their people.

Yeah I like him. Beats the robot they've had on recently.

Masterful trolling from Seb.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sebvettelnews/status/660558261284765696

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 1, 2015

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I like Vettel more since he has moved to Ferrari, he seems like he has matured since his Red Bull days.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ugh, stop being likable fingerboy.

Just.

Stop.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think now that he knows Mercedes will buy the title every year he's letting himself have more fun.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

frankenbeans posted:

With a 50-place penalty, I'm surprised he isn't starting from the back and a lap behind.

He should start from the stadium, give them something to watch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Good names for turns: Ascari, Senna, Vettel, Mansell, Claire.

Rubbish names for turns: Verstappen, Hamilton, Maldonado, Ricciardo, Bottas.

They were going to name a chicane after Will Stevens, but then they realised there was no way to have it appear in random locations on the circuit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Dudley posted:

He should start from the stadium, give them something to watch.

There is something to be said for bringing them all to the front of the grid for the anthem and then having a Le Mans start.

Edit: Will Stevens has lost his seat for next year btw.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Who?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
gently caress ugly midget Essex boy chav at the back sky keep trying to make relevant.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

There is something to be said for bringing them all to the front of the grid for the anthem and then having a Le Mans start.

Edit: Will Stevens has lost his seat for next year btw.

Not a surprise, as soon as they're choosing on merit and/or have the performance to attract drivers with Maldonado money than he's not going to win either battle.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So right now we have two spots for young drivers, along with positions for team principle, team boss and technical director going for a potential med field team. I for one have no idea as to who will be filling them.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well given they've just lost their best 3 people and a number of unknown other senior people, then I'm guessing "People not as good as before".

Toto's come out and basically said that while they'll fulfil the contract, he wouldn't have signed it without those 3 being at the team.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm fairly confident that Toto already had their replacements all lined up, and can use it as a program for all his young engineers as well so I doubt he's crying himself to sleep.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

A baby Merc team isn't a bad idea, then we're closer to the ideal grid of 6 big teams each with their own child teams for their development drivers/engineers etc

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I like it when Lewis wears the black hat and Nico wears the white hat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

A baby Merc team isn't a bad idea, then we're closer to the ideal grid of 6 big teams each with their own child teams for their development drivers/engineers etc

that's not an ideal grid fyi

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

n8r posted:

Do they go 225 there?

No but the point is that just because they go fast or it has the longest straight that it's going to be great racing. Tilke hasn't got a great record if you'll notice. Plus most races this year have been pretty poo poo boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh gently caress yes.

Mclaran has vetoed the red bull Honda deal. According to Eric;
""Clearly there is an issue at Red Bull, which was created by Red Bull, and not by anybody else. We are not a charity foundation, so we are not here to help."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-justifies-red-bull-honda-deal-veto-we-are-not-a-charity/

• Locked thread