Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Blue Train posted:

also cell phones should be barred in schools there's no reason to allow them

So that you can't record cops who abuse their power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

the trump tutelage posted:

That could be true but the more likely explanation is that the girl either has ODD or was otherwise manifesting ODD-like symptoms and refused to be ejected "on principle". She probably wanted to stay in class like how a child wants to play with a toy they haven't touched in months as soon as someone else starts playing with it.

She was literally put into a foster home the day before.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

The_Rob posted:

She was literally put into a foster home the day before.
Was the teacher aware of this?
If yes then lol what a POS

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The_Rob posted:

So that you can't record cops who abuse their power?

cops should be banned too, and like all schools have cctv now

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Blue Train posted:

Nah

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Blue Train posted:

How else are you going to call your mom and say good bye when your school gets shot up?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Zzulu posted:

kids didn't really have phones when I was a kid. Like, some of us had a little ancient cellphone or whatever but it's not like you could do anything fun on those so no one used them for anything and they weren't standard issue like you see today

Same, but I remember if you merely had one in your possession and a teacher found out it was an automatic 10 day suspension on your first offense, expulsion if you were caught again.

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

Same, but I remember if you merely had one in your possession and a teacher found out it was an automatic 10 day suspension on your first offense, expulsion if you were caught again.

Lol whut the gently caress

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Hashtag GBS posted:

Lol whut the gently caress

Yeah, their policies were super draconian. The fighting rules were worded in a manner where you could literally lay down and let someone beat you within an inch of your life without raising a finger in self defense and you got the same punishment as the aggressor, and a basic solar powered calculator was technically in violation of the prohibition of electronic devices on school property rule.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Methanar posted:

How else are you going to call your mom and say good bye when your school gets shot up?

carrier pigeon

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Methanar posted:

Ouija board

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

Geoj posted:

Yeah, their policies were super draconian. The fighting rules were worded in a manner where you could literally lay down and let someone beat you within an inch of your life without raising a finger in self defense and you got the same punishment as the aggressor, and a basic solar powered calculator was technically in violation of the prohibition of electronic devices on school property rule.

Jesus christ i went to a private school from k-7 and even they werent that hosed up

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

My favorite part about all of this is that the same people that keep crowing about how she was defying authority on my facebook are the same ones that couldn't stop posting about poor Cliven Bundy who had an armed standoff with feds because he wasn't paying for his use of public land. I wonder what's different about this situation (I bet it's their age).

ArbitraryC posted:

Like did anyone watch the video he explicitely tries to lift her out of the desk, she struggles, and then it tips. Im positive the part he got in trouble for was after that when he slid her across the room for seemingly no reason like he was loading hay on a truck and no i don't think that was appropriate and have repeatedly said he did use excessive force.

The sheriff said this was exactly why he was fired, but he went on to say it was because the officer let go of her as he was arresting her, which was against department policy. So he wasn't actually fired for excessive force. To be fair the sheriff was also very vocal about his displeasure at the amount of force, so I think the distinction was made so the police union wouldn't have as much of a chance of getting the decision overturned.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Hashtag GBS posted:

Jesus christ i went to a private school from k-7 and even they werent that hosed up

This was a public high school, not sure if the fighting rule was ever applied in that manner but the wordage was basically "zero tolerance, if involved in a fight with another student automatic 5 day suspension on first offense."

The electronics ban was very loosely enforced outside of mobile phones, as long as you didn't disrupt class most teachers turned a blind eye to it, but under the way it was worded ("any electronic device with the ability to store and display data or play back an audio or video recording is prohibited during school hours") calculators could have been confiscated.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

This was a public high school, not sure if the fighting rule was ever applied in that manner but the wordage was basically "zero tolerance, if involved in a fight with another student automatic 5 day suspension on first offense."

Our Mormon senior class president got jumped and subsequently suspended because he was "involved in a fight" lmao. loving suspended for fighting after he got his rear end beat on the street (off school grounds too, of course)!

Hashtag GBS
May 10, 2015

by Lowtax

RaySmuckles posted:

Our Mormon senior class president got jumped and subsequently suspended because he was "involved in a fight" lmao. loving suspended for fighting after he got his rear end beat on the street (off school grounds too, of course)!

I really don't understand how it is legal to kick a kid out of school for being assaulted

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
https://www.facebook.com/law.enforcement.today/photos/a.195826530243.268969.181135410243/10156162870555244/?type=3

the police are monsters

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I've never seen anything good come from that facebook page, like literally a fascist group that takes a right-wing slant on everything, even badmouthing its own followers and police officers if they are liberals. At one point one of the guys running the page took a drunk night to bitch about his ex-wife and they had to delete the posts in the morning. Real scumbags.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

But where's the investigation?!?

Forgetting that it was done pretty immediately.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

The_Rob posted:

What's so frustrating is that the cop and teacher did more to disrupt the class than the girl did. If they actually gave a poo poo about the students they would have just let it go.
I agree. Here's another video where the teacher should of just kept quiet and been more understanding of the innocent interruption.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=581_1446436696

Hopefully you and I will see more teachers be made to go through better sensitivity training for misunderstandings like this.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I watched that entire video and I feel hollow.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Davis left peacefully because she knew she done wrong. This girl wasn't going to get up for some LEO when she didn't violate any law in her municipality.

You can be charged with disorderly conduct if you don't abide by a school administrators reasonable request. Asking you to step outside the classroom for a minute is considered reasonable, FYI.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
The end looks fake hell Ray Charles could have seen that poo poo was fake.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
One time I was playing a lovely Tiger handheld beneath my desk and loving Tim raised his hand and told the teacher what I was doing, and I had to give it to her and write a paper on why playing Tiger electronics during class was bad

gently caress you Tim, wasn't playing a Tiger punishment enough

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

nnnotime posted:

I agree. Here's another video where the teacher should of just kept quiet and been more understanding of the innocent interruption.

Hopefully you and I will see more teachers be made to go through better sensitivity training for misunderstandings like this.

In what way is this video comparable at all? I mean other than having black people in it. Go back to stormfront please.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

Anyone point out the teacher who called the cops on her was black?

no, should they have? what difference does that make?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nnnotime posted:

It's not even a real class. There are like 5 students in there. It's like some in between period or "study room" period or something.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

nnnotime posted:

I like how you bring this up here, as if it is relevant somehow, as if the only choice a person can make is to either be okay with cops randomly assaulting students in class, or be okay with students being allowed to literally do whatever they want with no accountability.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

It's almost like law enforcement behaves the way they do because they know they won't be held accountable for their actions :iiam:

In fairness I'm in a position where I could do a lot of hosed up poo poo without being held accountable for my actions but I don't because I'm not a lovely person? I don't think it's entirely fair for this to be your default assumption. And I thought I was jaded wrt humanity lol

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

I can see that perspective. regardless of race, if a cop is telling you to do something like get up and leave the classroom, you do it. the fact that the student blatantly refused an officer called to the situation is the problem.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

In fairness I'm in a position where I could do a lot of hosed up poo poo without being held accountable for my actions but I don't because I'm not a lovely person? I don't think it's entirely fair for this to be your default assumption. And I thought I was jaded wrt humanity lol

of course. it's far more likely that, because cops have virtually no oversight and almost never have any accountability, the profession just naturally attracts lovely people.

snocked posted:

I can see that perspective. regardless of race, if a cop is telling you to do something like get up and leave the classroom, you do it. the fact that the student blatantly refused an officer called to the situation is the problem.

n... no. you're being sarcastic, right. a cop does not have the right to just tell you what to do simply by nature of being a cop, and if a cop is telling you to do something that you are not legally required to do and that is not in your best interests, then you absolutely should just tell him to gently caress off. if he responds by physically attacking you then the problem is not that you didn't do what a cop said, the problem is that you happened to bump into a violent psychopath.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Pick up that can citizen

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
How are people so willing to just submit to any and all authority?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

The_Rob posted:

Some people just aren't that mad at their step-dad, I guess

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

of course. it's far more likely that, because cops have virtually no oversight and almost never have any accountability, the profession just naturally attracts lovely people.

n... no. you're being sarcastic, right. a cop does not have the right to just tell you what to do simply by nature of being a cop, and if a cop is telling you to do something that you are not legally required to do and that is not in your best interests, then you absolutely should just tell him to gently caress off. if he responds by physically attacking you then the problem is not that you didn't do what a cop said, the problem is that you happened to bump into a violent psychopath.

I can't wait until the cellphone video of you standing up for your "rights" comes out. I'm sure you'll do a great job standing firm, with your righteous indignation and hatred for your super uncool dad guiding your every moment.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

The_Rob posted:

If they respected authority, they would respect the Sheriff and his department's decision to remove him, since they are the authority in that situation.

Surprise, they're just naked fascists that respect and worship brutal thugs!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The_Rob posted:

Autistic people love rules.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Does your line of work have a high percentage of/attract lovely people and has an institutional mindset of us vs them?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

snocked posted:

I'm totally on board with that; I just don't think the situation was handled properly.

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Actually you're required to obey a law enforcement officer's lawful orders. It is in fact illegal to disobey a lawful order. "Move and exit the classroom" is most definitely a lawful order.

The actual definition of what is a lawful order becomes tricky and definitely varies state by state but in general any order given in furtherance of the officer's official duties is lawful. IE 'move and get out of the classroom' or 'move along please sir.'

Of course they shouldn't just immediately escalate to physically force in that manner but telling people to tell cops to gently caress off when they order you to do something is some awful awful advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

you rang?

• Locked thread