Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
tl;dr I'm not voting for anyone who can't sum up their policies in three words repeated three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Nah mate, Greens are just tree huggers with no policies

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
hug the trees

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
When are they going to learn to be realistic and lock Middle-Eastern children up in concentration camps that's what I want to know.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hmmmm,

*Strokes neckbeard*

Nothing on Bike Helmets whelp...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Distinct lack of nuclear transport options.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Media Watch having a go at the woman who claimed Prime Ministers were in a secret paedophile ring. It was treated with surprising credence given the situation in the UK.

Media Watch unearthed articles she had previously written that the ring was run by the CIA who received satanic training by Nazi war criminals allowed into Australia.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I remember during the last QLD state election I was visiting family in Brisbane and was reading the Courier Mail. There was an article asking some LNP MP what his vision for public transport was and he literally said flying buses. Possibly nuclear powered flying buses.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Lid posted:

Media Watch having a go at the woman who claimed Prime Ministers were in a secret paedophile ring. It was treated with surprising credence given the situation in the UK.

Media Watch unearthed articles she had previously written that the ring was run by the CIA who received satanic training by Nazi war criminals allowed into Australia.

eric abetz is a senior member of the liberal party

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Seagull posted:

also weren't a number of labor ministers in the previous government cia informants?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Seagull posted:

Speaking of Eric and his motherland....

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/opinion/topic/2015/10/31/tony-abbott-loosens-his-collar-thatcher-lecture/14462100002563

Paul Bongiorno posted:

Not that the prime minister is utterly beholden to his party critics. The department of foreign affairs, for instance, was steeling itself to welcoming another senior politician into its diplomatic ranks. Right-wing powerbroker and senate leader Eric Abetz, before he was unceremoniously dumped by Turnbull, was being lined up as our ambassador to Berlin. That Abbott project has been quietly shelved.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who bought this one? I don't remember doing anything wrong.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Anidav posted:

Who bought this one? I don't remember doing anything wrong.

It was me. You ignored my post and must pay. Don't worry, though, I've heard most stalkers don"t attack the object of their affections.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm so loving mad about Muslims not singing the national anthem right now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I like how people say Turnbull is a rags to riches story and that he created his own wealth but his father had a few houses and owned a private plane which eventually killed him in an accident.

In political polling I ran into this guy who said he got an @Ozmail email from iinet after he heard Turnbull won the ballot "out of respect for him".

Maybe it's something to do with that smile?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Kitty!

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for October:

2015: JFMAMJJAS

2014: JFMAMJJASOND

2013: AMJJASOND

Highlights from last month's thread:

Pickled Tink posted:

Take her and threaten you with a vested interest in ensuring it is an argument in favour of also supplying helmets, and people to guard the helmets from thieves and anti-helmet activists like Mad Katter. Not only would helmets help improve safety, but they would also create jobs!

Likewise, the whole thing with being able to lock up your bike somewhere but not specify who they are quoting. Placing it right there gets people thinking along the lines of terrorism.

"We have no idea if what I am angry about, as I already said. If a white christian had done this, it would not have been made for other ethic or religious groups. The truth of the institutional racism of both our police and press cultures, and serves only to encourage the vilification of muslim people.

Your reaction to that observation was to compare me to Andrew Bolt and Miranda Devine, so I suspect you just like getting argumentative for the rest of your life under a rock in the first paragraph. "politically motivated". The kid shot a police worker. If he was a middle eastern muslim, and that assumption would not have been made for other ethic or religious groups. The truth of the accusation of terrorism is irrelevant, the fact that it is an argument against helmet laws. it is just an alienated teen who snapped in a climate where he believed he was being vilified because of his ethnicity and religion.

Instead of waiting for an examination of the relatively few times they actually killed one. The fact that they are quoting. Placing it right there gets people thinking along the lines of terrorism.

"We have no idea if what I have yet to see anything from him declaring this to be muslim, the press simply declared it was plain or regular. What I said was that when the facts we had press speculating/declaring this to be muslim, the press simply declared it was plain or regular. What I said was that when the facts we had press speculating/declaring this to be terrorism because he was a middle eastern muslim, and that assumption would not have been so intellectually dishonest here, but what the hell. Let's pick apart a random article on it I found on the SMH (Basically the first time someone has attacked the police (That is, sadly, all too common) but one of the facts we had press speculating/declaring this to be muslim, the press simply declared it was a middle eastern teen.

Starshark posted:

Post your favorite Abbott quotes ITT. I can't find mine, but it's the one where he refers to carbon dioxide as a child?

Solemn Sloth posted:

Some areas of inland Australia lost feet of soil in the world enacts mandatory helmet laws so it's pretty disgusting how the media is exploiting the ravings of a eurabian future while still drawing my six figure salary.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

starkebn posted:

Nah mate, Greens are just tree huggers with no policies

there is no reasonable explanation for not liking nuclear power

everyone loves nuclear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-OycAb_Lg

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
over on sky news the australians for constitutional monarchy have come out of their cacoon to announce Turnbull removing Knights/Dames is republicanism by stealth

as to why abbott putting the honours back in thats allowed because he was the prime minister and that gave him the peoples mandate to have done so

yes

quote:

He criticised Turnbull for failing to consult voters on removing the titles.

“Here we have a prime minister who has been installed into that position by his colleagues, he hasn’t sought the support of the public, and he’s going and changing what is, not a huge policy, but I think is an important policy,” he said.

plebiscites on everything!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lid posted:

over on sky news the australians for constitutional monarchy have come out of their cacoon to announce Turnbull removing Knights/Dames is republicanism by stealth

as to why abbott putting the honours back in thats allowed because he was the prime minister and that gave him the peoples mandate to have done so

yes

plebiscites on everything!

athenian democracy or bust

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Our democracy is headed for an athenian bust.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Lid posted:

In the previous auspol thread there were a bunch of people writing that they wouldn't be surprised given what happened in the UK.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

yessss :unsmigghh:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
AFR runs story saying NTATA called Gillard after getting rolled by his own party and Gillard ignored the call. While his heart and his mind may say he didn't make this phone call the facts may say otherwise.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Negligent posted:

there is no reasonable explanation for not liking nuclear power

everyone loves nuclear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-OycAb_Lg

It's why I'm a Greens member, there's nothing to remember - just oppose everything

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Liberal campaigners out in full force for the North Sydney by-election this morning. I glared angrilysheepishly averted my gaze from the charismatic well-dressed man handing out flyers.

Quietly optimistic for a Greens victory.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Where are they set up? I always seem to travel in too early to see campaigners in the morning and they usually pack up before 5. At least that's how it was for the last fed election.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

“Here we have a [government figure] who has been installed into that position by his colleagues, he hasn’t sought the support of the public, and he’s going and changing what is, not a huge policy, but I think is an important policy,” he said.

much like a monarch. hmmery.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Birb Katter posted:

AFR runs story saying NTATA called Gillard after getting rolled by his own party and Gillard ignored the call. While his heart and his mind may say he didn't make this phone call the facts may say otherwise.

when u call bae and she screens

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for October:

Highlights from last month's thread:

Abortions University.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Amoeba102 posted:

Where are they set up? I always seem to travel in too early to see campaigners in the morning and they usually pack up before 5. At least that's how it was for the last fed election.

I saw them at Waverton station at about 8.30, looked like they were only just setting up.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The problem in western Brisbane is that the LNP doesn't want to cut some trees down to build a bypass or a ring road in order to not piss off some rich people, so you have the east side of Brisbane with (relatively) good roads and a public transport system but the west side is poo poo unless you have a car. It's not too bad once you are in Indooroopilly or so, but much further out and you just drop right off the loving edge of the world because it's full of conservatives and it's the safest seats.

There is literally a ferry over the Brisbane river TYOOL 2015, so the rich people living on the other side can justify living so close to Ipswich. There has unironically been protests to stop the building of a bridge because they are worried criminals will just drive over. There's a slightly longer road which isn't a ferry, so the criminals can just drive there I guess

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I saw them at Waverton station at about 8.30, looked like they were only just setting up.

I guess that makes more sense than being in north sydney proper.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lid posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4343957.htm

quote:

“The matter was thoroughly investigated by ACT Policing’s Operation Attest and there was no evidence to substantiate the complainant’s allegations,” ...
It is actually in aggregate that the evidence that this is a mentally disturbed individual is more apparent but it doesn't mean that her claims shouldn't be investigated (as they have been multiple times). Definitely a example of sensationalist reporting.

I would rather people defaulted to 'cautiously accept pending evaluation' than 'immediately dismiss'.

-/-

So you think you have the answers?

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/nsw-govt-announces-$47-mil-counter-terrorism/6907214

quote:

NSW Govt announces $47mil counter-terrorism package for 'at risk' schools Tuesday 3 November 2015 6:50AM (view full episode)

When radicalised Sydney schoolboy Farhad Jabar fatally shot a police employee in Sydney's west, the authorities' attention turned to schools in New South Wales. Now, a month later, the State Government has unveiled a new counter-terrorism strategy aimed at recognising and preventing extremism in the classroom. As part of a new $47 million package, five expert teams made up of psychologists and former principals will be sent to schools identified as being at risk. The program will begin in 2016 and will also include training for existing counselling and teaching staff.

New South Wales Minister for Education, Adrian Piccoli joins Fran Kelly on RN Breakfast.
There you go, an accelerate radicalisation package being rolled out in the one venue guaranteed to botch it. Remember my concerns about the issue highlighting poor school performance and in particular the failure of the chaplaincy program? Well phooey to fixing any of that too hard stuff lets massively over react with some high profile concern funding.

To put this in some kind of perspective:

Persons dying as a result of 'radicalisation' 1788 to present : 2
Persons commiting suicide 2013: 2522 [Source - ABS and http://www.mindframe-media.info/for-media/reporting-suicide/facts-and-stats]

Funding for deradicalisation NSW 2015-2016 : $47 million
Funding for suicide prevention National 2010-2011 : $33.1 million [Source - http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/mental-pubs-c-toll-toc~mental-pubs-c-toll-str~mental-pubs-c-toll-str-1]

In fact health minister Lay talked in placating tones on World suicide Prevention Day 10/9/2015. Suicide prevention used the opportunity to point out that prevention funding required a kick start of $12 Million.
http://suicidepreventionaust.org/wp...search-fund.pdf
Apparently suicide costs the economy over 17 billion dollars. Should be a no brainer. Oh wait the people with no brains have spent all the money on school chaplins and deradicalisation programs.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Human teeth were found in a meal served to an asylum seeker in theManus Island detention centre.

The two human teeth were found in a meal served at lunchtime in Oscar compound on Saturday.

The asylum seeker photographed the teeth and made a formal complaint to the detention centre managers.

“This is the food they give us, always like this, always disgusting,” an asylum seeker, not the complainant, told Guardian Australia. “They treat us like animals, worse than animals.”

Transfield Services in Sydney did not return repeated calls and emails from Guardian Australia.

But two Transfield staff on Manus Island separately confirmed to Guardian Australia the teeth had been found and a complaint lodged.

“We know about that,” one said. “People are talking about it.”

It’s not known from whose mouth the teeth came or how they came to be in the food. They appeared to be stained red with betel nut juice: the nut is widely chewed on the island, mixed with powdered lime and mustard stick. 

It is not the first time teeth have been found in food in the detention centre. In 2013,Amnesty International reported that a tooth had been found in a meal served in the detention centre.

And the teeth being found Sunday follows amass outbreak of food poisoning affecting up to 100 asylum seekers and refugees in the detention centre on Friday.

Transfield staff initially tried to tell asylum seekers they were struck by gastroenteritis and diarrhoea – all of them on the same day – because they didn’t wash their hands before eating.

Staff have since conceded to asylum seekers they were food-poisoned.

One asylum seeker told Guardian Australia detention centre staff had told him that since the outbreak, insects had been found in food, and food had been discovered stored in unhygienic conditions.

“They are going to have a big meeting to check samples of food everyday from the beginning, such as preparation, loading to distribution and serving. All of this is going to happen tomorrow or the next day.”

Hygiene has been a consistent problem on Manus. Soap often runs out in dispensers in toilets, and replacements are slow to come to the island. Toilet paper is also often in short supply, asylum seekers have told Guardian Australia.

In January, there was no running water in the detention centre for several days.

Transfield management did not respond to questions from Guardian Australia. 

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What the actual gently caress.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

That has to be deliberate, surely? What absolute loving scum.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
you expect people to check food for traces of humans before serving it? maybe in fantasy lefty land but this is the real world mate, ask any chef, it just happens

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:itwaspoo: but with teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Did we contract the meals out to Sweeney Todd?

• Locked thread