Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've attempted suicide in the past because of me perceiving my disability as a "burden" on others. Literally the word I used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

SwissCM posted:

I've attempted suicide in the past because of me perceiving my disability as a "burden" on others. Literally the word I used.

:( that really sucks. I hope you're doing okay at the moment.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You know who else thought disability was a burden :godwin:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SwissCM posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that, and that reasoning is pretty common. The vast majority of our newspaper industry deserves to be taken out the back and loving shot.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

hooman posted:

I'm really sorry to hear that, and that reasoning is pretty common. The vast majority of our newspaper industry country deserves to be taken out the back and loving shot.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Calling any sort of human being a burden should be considered a hate crime.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
No one on the DSP should feel like they're a burden because it's an infinitely better use of money than the billions of dollars of subsidies given to the mining industry or the money wasted by investor welfare like negative gearing.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Vladimir Poutine posted:

No one on the DSP should feel like they're a burden because it's an infinitely better use of money than the billions of dollars of subsidies given to the newspaper industry or the money wasted by investor welfare like negative gearing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Poutine posted:

No one on the DSP should feel like they're a burden because it's an infinitely better use of money than the billions of dollars of subsidies given to the mining industry or the money wasted by investor welfare like negative gearing.

Far better investment than torturing refugees. The whole reason I pay tax and the whole reason I agree with a social welfare system is that it makes it better for everyone. Everyone benefits from the pool of money that we put into the government, and people on the DSP are just benefiting from our decision to socially fund things like everyone else does. There's no burden, there's no guilt, no more than anyone driving on a state funded road should feel, or going to a public hospital.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

Calling any sort of human being a burden should be considered a hate crime.

what if theyre a huge drag

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

mate don't be trans/fatphobic

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

thatbastardken posted:

mate don't be trans/fatphobic

He's actually talking about the size of their steel balls because Mang has giant steel balls and wants to know if he has a future.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

nah, steel's all heading offshore because carbon tax.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

thatbastardken posted:

nah, steel's all heading offshore because carbon tax.

Carbon balls aren't as sexy though, sure they're sleek but they don't have the weight behind them that a connoisseur appreciates.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Institute capital punishment for corrupt union officials imo. Unions are loving vital in protecting the needs of workers and these fucks undermine the whole process for their own personal gain.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Solemn Sloth posted:

Institute capital punishment for corrupt union officials imo. Unions are loving vital in protecting the needs of workers and these fucks undermine the whole process for their own personal gain.

What will people do without any union officials?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Graic Gabtar posted:

What will people do without any union officials?

Start the syndicalist utopia where each business is its own union?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

So is Birb snorten not corrupt or just not being referred to police for corruption

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The second one. The prosecutors (council assisting the commissioner) declined to say bad stuff about him explicitly stating he had not been involved in any criminal activity, although others had. That's why I find the timing suspicious. Getting Breeb Snidlick charged with even something minor may have forced the Lesser NeoCons to ditch him as leader, something Turdball definitely does not want (Although who are we fooling. Turdball is going to romp it in on a parade float with a full range +5% GST regardless).

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
"Appears he did nothing illegal"

Is not

"He is fully exonerated"

And is possibly

"He did stuff but was really good at covering it up"

Bill shorten went around telling his mates he would be pm when he was a kid, so here's probably kept his hands clean knowing his closet would one day be xrayed.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
They had the first trial of driverless cars in Australia this week. The South Australian transport minister got in one and waved at some TV cameras and right when he was doing that it took off and drove into an inflatable kangaroo.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Vladimir Poutine posted:

They had the first trial of driverless cars in Australia this week. The South Australian transport minister got in one and waved at some TV cameras and right when he was doing that it took off and drove into an inflatable kangaroo.

I can't allow you to brake, Dave.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Birdstrike posted:

I can't allow you to brake, Dave.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I thought driverless cars weren't supposed to emulate human drivers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

It's got research written on it like one of those Japanese whaling ships.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cartoon posted:

The second one. The prosecutors (council assisting the commissioner) declined to say bad stuff about him explicitly stating he had not been involved in any criminal activity, although others had. That's why I find the timing suspicious. Getting Breeb Snidlick charged with even something minor may have forced the Lesser NeoCons to ditch him as leader, something Turdball definitely does not want (Although who are we fooling. Turdball is going to romp it in on a parade float with a full range +5% GST regardless).

More specifically

TURC posted:

In very brief overview, counsel assisting have submitted that the Commissioner should find that a number of officials of the AWU and the AWU itself may have engaged in criminal conduct in relation to the falsification of invoices and the taking of commissions.

It is further submitted that a number of persons employed by major employers and employers themselves may have engaged in similar criminal conduct, by receiving and paying bogus invoices and paying commissions (see e.g. Chapter 3 – Thiess John Holland, paragraph 213; Chapter 5 – ACI, paragraph 118; Chapter 6 – Chiquita Mushrooms paragraph 85; Chapter 8 – Winslow Constructors, paragraph 44).

Counsel assisting have submitted further that a number of officials of the AWU may have engaged in conduct in conflict of interest by causing the union to enter into lucrative side deals that were not disclosed to the members.

There is no submission that Mr Bill Shorten may have engaged in any criminal or unlawful conduct.

They say there's no evidence he's done anything illegal, and they don't bother to accuse him of lesser stuff. Given TURC was set up to throw poo poo at the union movement, if they could have gone for more they would have.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Their ABC posted:

Peter Dutton leaves option open to increase Syria refugee intake as situation in Middle East deteriorates

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton is leaving open the option of bringing more refugees fleeing the Syrian conflict to Australia, acknowledging more assistance will be needed as the situation in the Middle East deteriorates.

Australia has committed to taking 12,000 refugees and Mr Dutton said the States and Territories were engaged in a "bidding war" over who will receive them.

Mr Dutton has returned from a visit to refugee camps in Jordan where he presented the first four families — including 12 children — with their visas for Australia.

The families included Sunni Muslim refugees from the war-torn city of Homs in Syria, and Assyrian Christians from the Islamic State-occupied city of Mosul in Iraq.

"If we can demonstrate that we can get the security and health checks right and that we're bringing the right people then I think people will have confidence in the program perhaps at some point extending depending on the circumstance in Syria," Mr Dutton told ABC's Insiders program.

"The Government is open to further assistance given that this situation will deteriorate."

Mr Dutton suggested he was pleased with the response from the States and Territories to resettle refugees under the existing program.

"We seem to have some bidding war going on between the States and Territories about how many Syrians will come to the respective States and Territories and that's a great thing," he said.

Mr Dutton warned the security situation in Syria was "only going to get worse".

"There's no quick fix, no political outcome. The Assad regime is still in place, ISIS is still running around causing havoc," he said.

Greens MP Adam Bandt said it was a "welcome shift" from the Government, but urged Mt Dutton to consider the refugees in detention in Australia.

"There are people in detention who fled the conflict some time ago, who still have family members who haven't left their home because they're under direct threat," he said.

"If Peter Dutton is serious about caring for people who are in trouble, then he should start at home."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So apparently Australia is the proud owner of a brand new dob in an dealer phone line. I am going to report Orkin Mang.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I'm glad the computer only sees kangaroos when its already too late to brake as well.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

kangaroos are sneaky buggers

edit:

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Pretty sure Henry Ergas could have condensed his economic plan to just one point: make the poor eat each other, and use their bones as currency to balance the budget.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Other hot takes from Henry Ergas: we should only accept Christian migrants, we should abolish capital gains tax, the productivity commission is too leftist, negative gearing is good for everyone.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hey this economy seems to be at risk of recession *raises consumption taxes, lowers unearned income taxes*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Henry Ergas is a Bond Villain.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
More like Henry Egregious.

egregious
ɪˈɡriːdʒəs/
adjective
outstandingly bad; shocking.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Quasimango posted:

Pretty sure Henry Ergas could have condensed his economic plan to just one point: make the poor eat each other, and use their bones as currency to balance the budget.

What's with the captions on the photos of Turnbull, did the editor have a stroke or something?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Paramedics avoiding ‘Who is the Prime Minister?’ mental alertness question – because it’s too confusing

Some paramedics reportedly no longer ask patients who Australia’s prime minister is as the question is now deemed too confusing to accurately assess sick or injured patients.

The question was previously used to assess a person’s mental alertness and memory, but with the high turnover of the top office in recent years the question is now being used less, the Courier Mail reports.

Queensland paramedic Greg Abood told the newspaper he chose to stop using the question about a year ago.

“We would ask patients that question because it gave us an idea of their conscious level and ability to recall events,” Mr Abood said.

“But the country’s prime ministers are changing so often, it’s no longer a good indication of their mental status.”

He claimed a patient had once responded “I haven’t watched the news today”, after being asked the question.

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said there were no guidelines on what questions to ask as different questions would be appropriate for people with different lifestyles or in different circumstances.

He said an assessment of a patient’s level of consciousness was more involved than simply the recollection of a name.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/11/06/09/24/paramedics-stop-asking-who-is-the-prime-minister-too-confusing#SkAqLGw4kIFFRIsl.99

:australia:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Asylum seeker dies after escaping Christmas Island detention centre

quote:

A detainee has died after he escaped from the Christmas Island detention centre.

Australian Federal Police found the body today after a day-long search for the man.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection confirmed the escape and death this evening and said the matter was being investigated by the coroner.

Border protection officials said the situation remained calm at the detention centre.

More to come.

:(

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I guess he should stayed where he was then.

That's assuming he wasn't intending to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

I guess he should stayed where he was then.

That's assuming he wasn't intending to check out.

He probably should have never left him home country where he was at risk of torture and murder as well.

Honestly, probably shouldn't have even been born, should have just self aborted.

Really he brought it all on himself.

Congratulations on your response being the emotional equivalent of a prolapse I guess.

• Locked thread