Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Iretep posted:

Pretty sure Undyne only stops trying to kill you if she faints from exhaustion.

She's not a Boss Monster, and as this thread has shown, she is determined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think that as much as the difficulty of the Omega Flowey and Asriel fights is illusory, the lack of difficulty is also illusory in a way. In the first case, you have to consider that Omega Flowey changes all the rules of the battle system: it is not turn-based, you do not have to wait for your turn to use any options available to you, and you can't use healing items. Anywhere else in the game, if your HP got low, you would use a healing item. The "logarithmic damage" scaling just kinda makes up for not being able to do that. (But then you do get opportunities for heals, but these require their own little minigames to get.)

With Asriel, if it seems like immediately re-spawning in battle makes it a no-difficulty fight, well... the central meta-narrative and meta-gaming conceit of Undertale is about the nature of saving your game and reloading when you lose. It is something that both the player and the player's character and other characters in the game engage in. One of the implications of this is the suggestion that there fundamentally isn't any actual challenge in a game with saving and loading besides a test of willpower: if you are determined to win the game, you'll just keep loading up your save until you win. Someone said that the instant re-spawn just saves you the time of sitting through the cut-scene, and functionally it does, but this means that it's not that the fight lacks difficulty in terms of the challenge of dodging Asriel's attacks. Rather, it's that it lacks a degree of tedium it would otherwise have, which means it's easier on your willpower, the only thing a game with saving and loading really tests. What does blunt the challenge of Asriel is that you don't have to start from the beginning of his series of attacks, though.

eta: I'm also not saying that I fully agree with this idea, that the real challenge is all willpower, but it's interesting and food for thought and Asriel's fight is one of the two big showcases for it (the other is Sans, for entirely different reasons).

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 15, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Other games have the last form of the final boss be unable to kill you, too. FF10, in particular, pulls the same "oh, you died? No you didn't ;)" trick.

The only difference is that Undertale has a few cutscenes and a new dungeon between the first and last phase of the final boss. :v:

Edit: and also the Asriel battle is actually fun.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 15, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
But FFX did have a real Final Boss in Braska's Final Aeon, and the fight after that was mostly mop-up to put down a corpse that didn't yet realize he was dead.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

pumpinglemma posted:

This cute animation just got posted in the main thread. :3:

This hasn't gotten enough love.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

FFX also wasn't aware of the fact that the player can reload the game in the same way as Undertale. Save points had the "record your journey" conceit, but iirc no NPCs were aware of having killed you, there's no in-narrative term or explanation for this ability, etc. I'm not saying that Undertale is the first game with an un-lose-able final boss, I'm saying that it's the only game I know of that really makes you think about what saving and reloading your game means actually, I'm not even making a claim about it's primacy. Just what I think is going on with auto-respawn in the Asriel fight. (Although I never beat FFX so maybe there's some meta at the end I don't know about.)

My prior favorite self-aware take on this sort of thing is Prince of Persia framing the whole game as the narrator's exploits, and dying is him messing up the details of his story and saying "Wait, no, that's not what happened..."

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 15, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Pureauthor posted:

But FFX did have a real Final Boss in Braska's Final Aeon, and the fight after that was mostly mop-up to put down a corpse that didn't yet realize he was dead.

Right. And Undertale has a real final boss in Photoshop Flowey. Sure, the game stacks the deck in your favor there, but he's perfectly potentially capable of killing you despite that.

Actually, does the Asriel fight set up checkpoints on certain rounds, or does dying just give you a fancy full-heal animation?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GunnerJ posted:

(Although I never beat FFX so maybe there's some meta at the end I don't know about.)

No meta stuff, you party just gets permanent Auto-Life.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Edward_Tohr posted:

Actually, does the Asriel fight set up checkpoints on certain rounds, or does dying just give you a fancy full-heal animation?

It starts you off three or so of Asriel's attacks back from the one that killed you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

YF-23 posted:

No meta stuff, you party just gets permanent Auto-Life.

Yeah, it's legitimately impossible to die unless you put Petrification forges on your weapons and attack your own characters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Captain Bravo posted:

This hasn't gotten enough love.
The ending, though. Seriously.

I just bought this game and being spoiled on everything isn't making it any less great.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah this is why it bugs me when people complain about the no mercy run being less satisfying narratively and otherwise, I was kind of arguing about it with someone else earlier in the thread. There are certain things in games where it's like, yes, you personally do not like it, but this was a deliberate design decision made to make the game play or feel a certain way, which it does, successfully, and therefore you can't actually say it makes the game worse, because that means the game would be objectively better without it (unless it's so utterly rank that there was clear malice in it to begin with, but I don't have any examples of that at the moment); up until now my go-to example was Baby Mario's crying in Yoshi's Island but Undertale's no mercy run might supplant it. In both cases there was a deliberate decision made to do things this way because otherwise the game everyone loves doesn't happen. For Baby Mario, when Mario was quiet, playtesters would just ignore him and go off doing their own thing, and the timer would run out, and they'd lose the life; so they put in a sound which the human brain is hard-wired by evolution to hate to motivate them to get him back so he'd shut the gently caress up, because it turns out "if you don't then you lose the game" isn't much of a motivation for gamers I guess. So you can gripe that it was annoying but the only response I really have is "yeah that was the point, good job, you got almost as far as the guy trying to make a fun game for people to play."\

Or you don't play Yoshi's Island because of said annoying baby. :colbert:

At least Undertale gives you options on how to play. 'Cause I'd leave Baby Mario for dead if I could.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

Just quoting this for those of you who haven't seen it :3:

:twisted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

https://vine.co/v/e0IBx0T2aBY

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've heard a rumor the game crashes if you deliberately attempt suicide in papyrus' absoluetly normal attack.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Refusing is also useful for less experienced players - the fight has attacks that look REALLY intimidating compared to the rest of the game, and I bet a lot of people would simply give up if they got the regular game over screen a couple times. Refusing is a way to keep them in the action and directly remind them to bit give up when they're so close to the end

Forgot this was after flowey so my point isn't as strong, but still think it's valid in a way

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Flowey checkpoints his own game after a while I believe, so you aren't starting from scratch. But if you die a lot before the first soul intermission there's gonna be a fair amount of game exiting.

You can always challenge yourself to not see the various game-over (nope, not really ;)) screens if you want greater difficulty.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sentient Data posted:

Refusing is also useful for less experienced players - the fight has attacks that look REALLY intimidating compared to the rest of the game, and I bet a lot of people would simply give up if they got the regular game over screen a couple times. Refusing is a way to keep them in the action and directly remind them to bit give up when they're so close to the end

Less experienced players may also be very concerned once they come out of the true lab, thinking they're stuck and can't go back for healing items and that saving at the end could put them in an unwinnable state.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I've heard a rumor the game crashes if you deliberately attempt suicide in papyrus' absoluetly normal attack.

I've saw a blind run of the game where someone got dropped to 1 HP during one of Papyrus' attacks and then got hit during his normal attack and was still at 1 HP afterwards.

I think the game just auto-sets you to 1 HP if you should drop to 0.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I dont see Omega Flowey as a boss 'you cannot die too'

but as a boss 'you cannot escape from'

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Tunicate posted:

I think it's that if you cheat engine yourself to zero, it'll crash, because the acutal fight will not permit it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

neongrey posted:

I think it's that if you cheat engine yourself to zero, it'll crash, because Papyrus will not permit it.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GunnerJ posted:

FFX also wasn't aware of the fact that the player can reload the game in the same way as Undertale. Save points had the "record your journey" conceit, but iirc no NPCs were aware of having killed you, there's no in-narrative term or explanation for this ability, etc. I'm not saying that Undertale is the first game with an un-lose-able final boss, I'm saying that it's the only game I know of that really makes you think about what saving and reloading your game means actually, I'm not even making a claim about it's primacy. Just what I think is going on with auto-respawn in the Asriel fight. (Although I never beat FFX so maybe there's some meta at the end I don't know about.)

My prior favorite self-aware take on this sort of thing is Prince of Persia framing the whole game as the narrator's exploits, and dying is him messing up the details of his story and saying "Wait, no, that's not what happened..."

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger did the same thing in having the gameplay framed by an unreliable narrator--to the point that at one point during a high-pressure shootout said narrator gets up to take a whiz and the game slows down, while his listeners discuss just how completely full of poo poo the guy is.

Now that I think about it, why the gently caress hasn't Call of Juarez: Gunslinger been LP'd yet. This is a travesty. :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

when suddenly a hundred goddamned Apaches appeared out of nowhere

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

when suddenly a hundred goddamned Apaches appeared out of nowhere

Hold on, Apaches?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

A Bystander posted:

Hold on, Apaches?

Not the helicopters.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

senae posted:

Not the helicopters.

I know absolutely nothing about this game so I'm just imagining a bunch of helicopters flying in until the narrator clarifies, at which point they vanish and are abruptly replaced by people.

I'm thinking now that unreliable narration games could make for some very fun level design.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Bifauxnen posted:

I know absolutely nothing about this game so I'm just imagining a bunch of helicopters flying in until the narrator clarifies, at which point they vanish and are abruptly replaced by people.

I'm thinking now that unreliable narration games could make for some very fun level design.

A sizable chunk of the Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep DLC for Borderlands 2 does that, and it was pretty funny there too.

For games where the ability to save and load is recognized as an otherworldly power, the 2003 text game Slouching Towards Bedlam is pretty great.

e: better link

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

It was close. The narrator said that, frustrated at a sleeping listener, who said "Wha wait huh? Wait... apaches?" "No, Steve, but thank you for joining us again. Now as I was saying..." whereupon the apaches (or any you haven't killed anyway) disappear.

(edit) And of course in the meantime you have to survive a hundred goddamn apaches so, you know.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 16, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you wanna see a game with an unreliable narrator, Tales from the Borderlands has two and is being LPed now.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I just found out about this game a few days ago and have kind of obsessed over it for a while. I gotta echo all the praise of how unique it is and how memorable everybody is.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Decided to try something out today:

The recipe really wanted a circular pan, so there's a bit of extra crust. Ah, well! Waiting around for it to cool now. If we didn't have occasional mice, I'd sneak some into my kids' rooms this evening after bedtime.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Holding off on snail pie for now?

Thanks for the link, I'll have to give that a try. Looks good.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
While we're posting stuff:

Papyrus believes in you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Valgaav posted:

While we're posting stuff:

Papyrus believes in you.

I never thought someone could be vain in a good way until Papyrus came along.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I never thought someone could be vain in a good way until Papyrus came along.

He's convinced of the goodness of all things, of which he is one! And so are you!!!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chard posted:

He's convinced of the goodness of all things, of which he is one! And so are you!!!

It is with great regret that I must dispute this otherwise obvious fact:

ProfessorProf posted:

A-ACHOO!
Papyrus, how can you stand this cold?
I HAVE NO SKIN.
So why don't we stand in Grillby's instead?
BECAUSE I HATE GREASE.
But you don't have a stomach!!
NO, BUT I HAVE STANDARDS!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

One of a very small number of things which Papyrus is actually wrong about, greasy dive bars like Grillby's rule :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Next update will be... probably Tuesday morning

The thread has been very chill lately, so maybe I won't even have to close it!

• Locked thread