Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Must have been a phase-lunge, i didnt even see it.

another ability bestowed by miracle drug PCP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

quote:

The typical police recruit spends 58 hours learning how to use his gun—and just 8 hours learning his department’s use of force policy, according to a new report from a major police research and policy group.

http://fusion.net/story/186239/police-training-guns-chart/

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

A misanthrope posted:

part of the problem is the way we train police

they sit them down and make them watch all these dash cam videos of cops getting overtaken by unarmed dudes -- and have em run drills where they have to shoot a guy who is charging at them from across the room with a knife

they fill their heads with this nonsense about how their job is ULTRA SUPER DANGEROUS AND THEY COULD DIE AT ANY MINUTE HOLY poo poo without talking about the actual statistics of how likely it is that they will encounter such a situation. It's why cops are such giant pussies who will pull out their gun and start firing wildly a the drop of a pin. They are taught to be super afraid of everyone and everything.

The Gracie Breakdown recently posted a video arguing that P.O.s lack of hand-to-hand training and out of shape officers leads to the immediate use of weapons and general escalation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4VeHOkt_o8

I would argue that they're not taught to be 'super afraid of everything' rather they innately know they can't take down poo poo so they reach for their weapons.

The Gracies are in the business of selling said training, of course

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Zahgaegun posted:

The Gracie Breakdown recently posted a video arguing that P.O.s lack of hand-to-hand training and out of shape officers leads to the immediate use of weapons and general escalation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4VeHOkt_o8

I would argue that they're not taught to be 'super afraid of everything' rather they innately know they can't take down poo poo so they reach for their weapons.

The Gracies are in the business of selling said training, of course

gently caress that is sad

in my dreams i imagine a flood of cop blood washing away all our frowns

we join hands and sing as the pigs die in the streets

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

gone off dat sherm

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Hurricane posted:

This is just for Finland, but here are the statistics about firearm usage in the Finnish Police between 2003 and 2013. Link in Finnish here (google translate does a reasonable job of translating it). http://yle.fi/uutiset/poliisin_aseenkaytto_johtaa_harvoin_kuolemaan/7738709

free photo hosting

So of 385 cases, 304 times the police just threathened to use the gun (but did eventually not), and in 80 cases did use guns. In total 122 shots were fired (of them 40 warning shots), which resulted in 20 wounded and 2 dead. This during a period of 10 years. So for every 10 shots to the leg, 1 ends up being deadly.

As an additional small point, the statistics are a bit skewed due to a case in 2011 when police tried to stop a lorry by firing a lot of rounds on the motor of the vehicle.

Are there blacks in Finland?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Food for thought, the US Navy, the branch of the military that does the least close combat fighting (not counting SEAL or Marines), spends more time on deescalation and communication than firearms. Because when you're overseas and an angry local is accosting you the worst thing you can do for public relations is bust a cap in him. It's almost like killing people pisses off the community who would've thought.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

If they focused more on ECW, many lives could be saved by putting suspects through flaming barbwire tables instead of shooting them.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
They spend the same amount of time learning about the history of the ECW than de-escalation. That's ridiculous, why do they even need to train on that?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

the trump tutelage posted:

It's never a cold blooded execution. All I see in every shooting video is a poo poo scared white cop panicking.

this is why the cops always get off "Your honor I had legitimate reason to fear for my life because black people" "Agreed. Case dismissed"

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
DON'T READ THIS IT'S POINTLESS

So a couple of months ago I was driving down a dark road at night, and nearly hit a young black man with my car who was walking in the middle of the road in same direction as I was driving. Scared me to death because I didn't see him until the last second and I swerved to the right to avoid him. I nearly came to a stop and looked in my review mirror, he just kept walking right down the yellow line. I thought about asking him if he needed help, but he looked really pissed off, so I just kept driving. It really worried me that this kid was going to get killed or cause an accident that would kill some one else. About a mile up the road was a police station so I pulled in and went inside to report what I saw. I thought I was being a good citizen and maybe helping prevent an accident, etc.

First the cops were in the back, I could see them through the glass behind the reception area, and they didn't look too happy to see me, I guess because one of them had to get up from their Freecell game, yes I could see he was playing Freecell... which is fine who cares... but when someone walks into the police station, especially at 11pm, don't you think the cops would assume that I might have something more important then Freecell to talk to them about?

So the cop comes out front completely annoyed he had to walk 20 feet. I say, "There is a kid walking down the middle of the road and it's really dark and I didn't see him and almost hit him and he didn't move from the middle of the road or anything. He looked mad. I just don't want him to get killed or cause an accident. Cop says "ok" and turns to walk away. I'm confused, I thought I was doing the right thing here, and the cop couldn't care less. As he walks away I say, "So you might want to check that out, I just don't want someone to get hurt." He says, "ok" and keeps walking.

I go back to the car kind of pissed off. wtf? As I pulled out of the police station, I pulled out in front of the kid, still pissed off walking straight down the center of a dark road.

Anyway my point is... when a black kid is walking down the middle of the street I think the right answer is to do something in between absolutely nothing and shooting him 16 times.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

So a couple of months ago I was driving down a dark road at night, and nearly hit a young black man with my car who was walking in the middle of the road in same direction as I was driving. Scared me to death because I didn't see him until the last second and I swerved to the right to avoid him. I nearly came to a stop and looked in my review mirror, he just kept walking right down the yellow line. I thought about asking him if he needed help, but he looked really pissed off, so I just kept driving. It really worried me that this kid was going to get killed or cause an accident that would kill some one else. About a mile up the road was a police station so I pulled in and went inside to report what I saw. I thought I was being a good citizen and maybe helping prevent an accident, etc.

First the cops were in the back, I could see them through the glass behind the reception area, and they didn't look too happy to see me, I guess because one of them had to get up from their Freecell game, yes I could see he was playing Freecell... which is fine who cares... but when someone walks into the police station, especially at 11pm, don't you think the cops would assume that I might have something more important then Freecell to talk to them about?

So the cop comes out front completely annoyed he had to walk 20 feet. I say, "There is a kid walking down the middle of the road and it's really dark and I didn't see him and almost hit him and he didn't move from the middle of the road or anything. He looked mad. I just don't want him to get killed or cause an accident. Cop says "ok" and turns to walk away. I'm confused, I thought I was doing the right thing here, and the cop couldn't care less. As he walks away I say, "So you might want to check that out, I just don't want someone to get hurt." He says, "ok" and keeps walking.

I go back to the car kind of pissed off. wtf? As I pulled out of the police station, I pulled out in front of the kid, still pissed off walking straight down the center of a dark road.

Anyway my point is... when a black kid is walking down the middle of the street I think the right answer is to do something in between absolutely nothing and shooting him 16 times.

Tldr

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

BeefThief posted:

gone off dat sherm

Yah that jumped out at me too...talk about a throwback lol

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Man i thought this was going to be a ghost story post where the cops get all scared because of the local legend of the black middle of the road walker and then he tells you, "it's a good thing you didn't stop, he would have stolen your soul" or something. You know what, pretend that this post WAS that instead cause I think it's better.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

thanks for the heads up

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tbf if youd mentioned he was black they would have run out guns drawn

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
lol

http://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/laquan-mcdonald-investigation-305105631.html posted:

Chicago police officers deleted footage from a security camera at a Burger King restaurant located fewer than 100 yards from where 17-year old Laquan McDonald was shot and killed, according to a Chicago-area district manager for the food chain.

After the shooting, according to Jay Darshane, the District Manager for Burger King, four to five police officers wearing blue and white shirts entered the restaurant and asked to view the video and were given the password to the equipment. Three hours later they left, he said.

The next day, when an investigator from the Independent Police Review Authority asked to view the security footage, it was discovered that the 86 minutes of video was missing.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

4outof5 posted:

I hate to sound like a broken record but if a cop tells you to stop and put your hands up while you're holding a weapon what the gently caress makes you think that's going to go any other way but REAL bad when you don't?

It's a catch-22 because putting your hands up could be seen as an aggressive action, which is grounds to get shot.

Subconsciously or consciously, the cop had already decided he was gonna shoot this kid before something flashed in the kid's hand. The flashing knife was just the justification. If the kid had put his hands over his head, chances are that motion would have been just as good a justification for a cop with a ready gun.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're obviously going to pull for first degree murder to play on the emotions of the public and make us feel like justice has been done. But outside of the prosecutor being able to establish some context between the officer and the victim before the incident, they aren't going to be able to establish motive, premeditation, or malice, and the case will likely be dismissed before trial. The 40,000 some odd plain clothes cia operatives will probably cite the dismissal as a cause for riot by the general public and go gently caress a bunch of poo poo up so they can establish Marshall law. Manslaughter as a result of negligence is a surefire conviction for this officer. His life was not in immediate danger, he pulled the trigger, he hosed up because of bad training or because he was unfit for the job.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Hurricane posted:

So of 385 cases, 304 times the police just threathened to use the gun (but did eventually not), and in 80 cases did use guns. In total 122 shots were fired (of them 40 warning shots), which resulted in 20 wounded and 2 dead. This during a period of 10 years. So for every 10 shots to the leg, 1 ends up being deadly.

Warning shots are an absolute no go in America I think, because bullets travel so far. The only safe place for a bullet to go is in the body of a black person.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Maybe the cop was listening to that brad neely be aggressive song, then decided to get murderous on purpose.

lfield
May 10, 2008
it'll probably go to trial for the show of the thing but he'll get off because they won't be able to prove premeditation

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lfield posted:

it'll probably go to trial for the show of the thing but he'll get off because they won't be able to prove premeditation

whoa

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
idk it looks like in illinois premeditation is just an aggravating factor to first degree murder

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K9-1

we nneed a lawyer

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

like&share if u agree

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Is Illinois one of those states where a judge can instruct the jury that they can also convict of a lesser crime if they find that the evidence doesn't add up to first degree murder? I''m no lawyer but I think those exist.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

B. Birdsworth posted:

like&share if u agree

ugh grandpa when did you get on fbook?

I'm fleeing to google plus

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

XMNN posted:

tbf if youd mentioned he was black they would have run out guns drawn

never thought of that... you are probably right...

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i genuinely thought your story was going to be about how you accidentally got a black guy brutalised

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

A misanthrope posted:

part of the problem is the way we train police

they sit them down and make them watch all these dash cam videos of cops getting overtaken by unarmed dudes -- and have em run drills where they have to shoot a guy who is charging at them from across the room with a knife

I think another problem is how we train urban youths.

They take pcp and brandish knives in the streets and then expect no repercussions for their actions. If they had simply not done that, none of this would have happened.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oh good I'm glad these complaints were followed up on instead of letting this dude run rampant and eventually murder someone oh wait lol

lfield
May 10, 2008

CalvinCoolidge posted:

I think another problem is how we train urban youths.

They take pcp and brandish knives in the streets and then expect no repercussions for their actions. If they had simply not done that, none of this would have happened.

gently caress off to 4chan with the unfunny racist routine

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010

B. Birdsworth posted:

like&share if u agree

:agreed: That is exactly what is wrong with this generation of cops.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

B. Birdsworth posted:

like&share if u agree

meanwhile crime is the lowest it has been in decades lol

it's only rising again because ain't nobody have any money and everyone is pissed at the cops, too

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh yeah poo poo he's hosed. Stick with the first degree poo poo. Guys a loving sociopath. Let's get routine psychological evaluations of police officers as a common practice ffs.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im glad they stopped the bad guy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have to wonder how many lovely racist old people who support militarized police were also burning poo poo after the Kent State massacre. The sad thing is if that happened again today even against white students there'd be newscasters literally saying "Today's entitled generation learns a harsh lesson in respecting authority."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

I have to wonder how many lovely racist old people who support militarized police were also burning poo poo after the Kent State massacre. The sad thing is if that happened again today even against white students there'd be newscasters literally saying "Today's entitled generation learns a harsh lesson in respecting authority."

hippies are trash and everyone loving knows it. just because they grew up and became neocon sellouts doesn't make them any less garbage

they've always been about selfish personal motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I bet modern news media coverage of the Boston Massacre would be a hilarious shitshow laugh riot

• Locked thread