Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Considering a passing knowledge of Morrison, probably... both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh my god, the cover for that Doom Force comic is :perfect:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

The "which one of these heroes will die" arrow is killing me here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh! The collectible first appearance!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Mignola doin' penance.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

From that issue, which is loving gold:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Swing Shift and Timesheet: Iron Fist/Luke Cage style bosom buddies, or constant rivals?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Evil Mastermind posted:

LOCK and LOAD bear down on LUBE!?! The SHOCKING outcome!

Goddamn that art is perfect. WTF are Scratch's arms doing? Everyone is holding giant guns on the cover. It's brilliant.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

About ten years ago, Marvel did a fighting game with EA called Rise of the Imperfects. It involved a bunch of original characters designed by Jae Lee with backstories written by Mark Millar. Greg Pak, still new to Marvel at the time, did the tie-in comic and it was pretty rad. The game itself sucked eggs and was quickly forgotten.

Years later, Marvel Universe vs. Avengers comes out. It's the follow-up to Marvel Universe vs. Punisher and Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine. Basically a rebooted version of Marvel Zombies that was plain better. The artist was told which characters to include in certain group shots. Most of the heroes were those featured in the various Avengers rosters of the time. For instance, Red Hulk, Iron Fist and all of Avengers Academy. That would include Hazmat, the teen girl with radioactive energy powers.

The artist apparently didn't read Avengers Academy, so he just GIS'd "Marvel Hazmat" and drew the first thing he saw.

There in the bottom right, you can see Hazmat from Imperfects. He makes a couple appearances throughout the issue.

I talked to Johnathan Maberry, the writer, shortly after at a con and asked him about it (plus had he and Greg Pak sign the page). He said that the second he noticed Hazmat, he got on the phone with someone from Marvel and was like "Does Marvel have the rights to the Imperfects or is it EA? It's us? Oh thank God..."

Which ultimately means that Marvel's been holding out on us. I want my goddamn Johnny Ohm comics!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

The "which one of these heroes will die" arrow is killing me here.

Love it.

I never read that, but a buddy of mine loves Doom Patrol and has them all and the covers are all amazing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghostlight posted:

So... which one was it?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gavok posted:

Which ultimately means that Marvel's been holding out on us. I want my goddamn Johnny Ohm comics!

If there's any justice, the Imperfects will show up in Contest of Champions, since Ewing has appointed himself master of the obscure.

Along with the Avengers Academy kids, because outside of X-23, they have about the same odds of ever appearing in a Marvel comic again in a meaningful way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Evil Mastermind posted:

Those names are fantastic. :swoon: Head-Butt is not any sillier than Forearm, and I need to know what Off-Ramp's powers would be. You could populate a new G.I. Joe universe with that list. (Here I'm thinking of OSI from the Venture Brothers, which included people like Tank Top (a guy whose mid-chest was a tank gun) and Shuttlecock (astronaut with badminton racquet).)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Are those balloons or sperm on Flux's bodysuit?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I remember reading The Filth when I was young and being really confused. The least weird thing was the guy being caught on camera picking his nose and eating his findings.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Along with the Avengers Academy kids, because outside of X-23, they have about the same odds of ever appearing in a Marvel comic again in a meaningful way.

You shut up! When I get hired by Marvel you'll buy every issue of my 20 year run on Finesse! :saddowns:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

You shut up! When I get hired by Marvel you'll buy every issue of my 20 year run on Finesse! :saddowns:

I unironically would.

But for the short term, if there is hope for the Academy kids, it lies in Al Ewing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gaz-L posted:

I'd buy every issue and then complain it ended too soon. Especially if you got Taskmaster as a recurring supporting character.

I never got why the Avengers Academy kids just disappeared after Avengers Academy (except for Hazmat and Reptile who got spots in Avengers Arena and Undercover). Academy was well received last I heard, sold decently, none of the characters were mutants or anything else not in the MCU, they had no in world reason to stop heroing, etc. I get that Marvel can't put out infinite books at one time and there are plenty of other characters that have fallen off the face of the Earth that were even bigger, but the Academy team was the one that bugged me the most.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Taskmaster keeps assigning her chores, but forgetting them by the next day.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

prefect posted:

Those names are fantastic. :swoon: Head-Butt is not any sillier than Forearm, and I need to know what Off-Ramp's powers would be. You could populate a new G.I. Joe universe with that list. (Here I'm thinking of OSI from the Venture Brothers, which included people like Tank Top (a guy whose mid-chest was a tank gun) and Shuttlecock (astronaut with badminton racquet).)

TM™ is just... there are no words. Because they've been trademarked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I remember reading The Filth when I was young and being really confused. The least weird thing was the guy being caught on camera picking his nose and eating his findings.

Yea, the Filth should be in here, because its weird to the max, and loving awesome. It also reminds me how I have to eventually get around to reading the Invisibles.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Just a few clarifications/comments:

Wheat Loaf posted:

About 15 years later, Chris Claremont is writing Fantastic Four. He wants to have a Kitty Pryde type character, and indeed originally planned for Kitty Pryde to become a regular character as Franklin Richards's new live-in nanny, but Bob Harras nixes this plot, because he was keen that all the X-Men characters should be kept in their own corner of the Marvel universe as much as possible. So, Claremont goes back to the drawing board, and introduces a new Marvel Girl called Valeria von Doom, the child of Reed and Sue from another dimension who was raised by that universe's Sue and Victor von Doom. She joins the team in the Kitty Pryde role.
It was heavily implied that she was the daughter of Sue and Doctor Doom, and then over the course of the remainder of Claremont's run he did some really weird poo poo with the Fantastic Four taking over Latveria because Doom was still off in the Heroes Reborn universe and Reed got bonded to a suit of Doom's armor for some reason and decided to pretend to BE Doom in order to rule Latveria and insisted the team tell no one else and like, staged a mock wedding between Sue and "Doom" for some reason and then Reed got corrupted by [power, Doom's suit's aura, GHOSTS, who knows] and wanted the rest of the FF to call him Doctor Doom and he tried to imprison them and all sorts of stuff that seemed to imply that somehow Reed would become Doom and impregnate Sue as Doom I guess? Then Doom came back and was like 'I AM TAKING MY COUNTRY BACK SHAME ON YOU REED, THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE' and then Claremont left the book without really resolving any of this at all.

Which led to everything you talked about.

ImpAtom posted:

I really hope someone can say there was a story where this dude was rescued. :smith:
Fortress Lad only appeared once (in the same story that introduced Internet favorite Arm Fall Off Boy. It was long after the the Legion Clubhouse was destroyed in the actual comics, in the last days of the 1980s run of Secret Origins, which also had a story from Grant Morrison about how the Justice League's old mountain headquarters was made entirely out of some alien/otherdimensional being's "macrochip" which recorded all of their adventures and would play them back longingly, wishing it still had such colorful characters running around inside it. They were both very strange stories that never got mentioned again, especially considering that the stories came out at a time where both team's histories had been all mixed up four years previously by Crisis on Infinite Earths, and would get reshuffled/negated again by Zero Hour a few years later.

As for weird covers and druggy creators, to the best of my knowledge there is zero credible information to suggest anyone making comics for DC and Marvel in the 1960s* were under the influence of anything stronger than cigars and gin.

The asterisk is because sure, Wally Wood did a bit of Marvel work alongside The Disneyland Memorial Orgy, was a hardcore alcoholic and probably was into harder drugs, but he also drew about 80 pages worth of Marvel stuff, none of which was particularly nuts. And then later on (in the early to mid 1970s) there were a bunch of self-admitted druggy dudes writing Marvel stuff; Englehart, Starlin, Skeates, Gerber, etc. were pretty open and unapologetic about it. Those are two pretty significant eras/sea changes in the tone, presentation, appearance, everything of the comics though, so they shouldn't be confused.

DC's "wacky covers" are pretty firmly in the earlier camp. Everyone summarized the process pretty clearly, it was literally a case of an editor (Weisinger, Schwartz, whomever) sitting around with their 'top' artists and spitballing attention-getting covers based on a combination of what things were reportedly selling well (gorillas, the color purple, robots, questions, dead heroes, motorcycles, they all got a turn in the spotlight) and had the artists knock out a bunch of covers that were then handed to the creative team of the book with the edict "make a story that fits in with this cover". The covers frequently have little to nothing to do with the interiors. The one that really sticks with me from reading my dad's old comics is this issue of the Flash:

Pretty sweet, a hot roller girl with speed powers!

Inside the comic...

An alien disguised as a 300 pound woman tricking people into roller skating around a ring in order to power up a device to blow up the planet.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

In the pre-Morrison days, there were three Justice League books going on. Regular JLA, which was bland as hell. Justice League: Task Force, which has already been talked about earlier. Then there's EXTREME JUSTICE.

Extreme Justice was Captain Atom's team of heroes who were based on the idea of being proactive. Attack the bad guys before they can attack you. Despite being EXTREME as gently caress, it had an incredibly solid roster (at least by my standards): Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Maxima, Amazing Man, Firestorm and the Wonder Twins.

The series lasted a bit over a year and in terms of WTF moments, three things come to mind:

1) In Booster Gold's original ongoing, he had an agent named Dirk Davis who was like a slimeball with a heart of gold, much like Booster himself. The end of the series tied in with the lame Millennium event, which was like Secret Invasion, only with the reveal that certain supporting characters were secretly Manhunters. This included the reveal that Dirk Davis was a Manhunter ALL ALONG, which made zero sense. He embezzled Booster's money and bankrupted him in an attempt to force him to turn against the heroes. It didn't take.

In Extreme Justice, Booster decides to get his company back from Dirk. For some reason, it's never mentioned that he was a Manhunter. The embezzling, sure, but all that stuff about him being a Manhunter is swept under the table. Doesn't matter, since Dirk is never heard from again, even if he claims he'd get even with Booster.

2) Remember the Monarch? Remember how he was originally going to be Captain Atom until DC decided to make him Hawk for some stupid reason? Extreme Justice introduced a second, unrelated Monarch. This time it actually was Captain Atom. Sort of. It was the original Nathanial Adam. See, Captain Atom is a quantum sentience who believes himself to be Nathanial Adam. You know, kind of like Alec Holland/Swamp Thing. They spent all this time building up this new Monarch as one of those villains who claims not to be up to anything, but is totally up to something. Then when he finally has a master plan revealed, Beetle kind of slightly hinders it. Monarch blows up a monitor in anger and is never mentioned ever again in any comic.

3) For the first time in comic continuity, a villain team appears under the name "Legion of Doom." Put together by a mysterious leader, the team was lame beyond belief. Members included Killer Frost, Houngan, Major Force, two of the Madmen (basically henchmen characters that Blue Beetle regularly beat up) and Gorilla Grodd. Only Grodd turned out to be a robot duplicate... just because. I don't think they gave it any explanation whatsoever.

In the final issue, the leader of the Legion of Doom turned out to be Brainwave Jr. An obscure hero character who became evil for reasons never explained in the book, nor was anything relating to him foreshadowed at all in the series. Just some hero you've never heard of shows up as the big villain. It's like if Hickman's Avengers run ended with the reveal that Rabum Alal is actually Charcoal from Thunderbolts.

The series then ended and was totally ignored as the Morrison JLA kicked in. Years later, they did a miniseries that showed various JL incarnations throughout the years where they finally gave Extreme Justice closure. It turns out that being a proactive superhero team will get you in a shitload of international trouble and they had to shut down almost immediately. Whoops!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gavok posted:

In the final issue, the leader of the Legion of Doom turned out to be Brainwave Jr. An obscure hero character who became evil for reasons never explained in the book, nor was anything relating to him foreshadowed at all in the series. Just some hero you've never heard of shows up as the big villain. It's like if Hickman's Avengers run ended with the reveal that Rabum Alal is actually Charcoal from Thunderbolts.

The series then ended and was totally ignored as the Morrison JLA kicked in. Years later, they did a miniseries that showed various JL incarnations throughout the years where they finally gave Extreme Justice closure. It turns out that being a proactive superhero team will get you in a shitload of international trouble and they had to shut down almost immediately. Whoops!

And they made him look like Grant Morrison.

Why yes that's from a post of yours from 2007.

Oh and would Justice League Elite have been possible without Extreme Justice????

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always love how every time Grant Morrison has a bald guy in the comic (which is all the time because there are no shortage of bald guys) they always end up looking like Morrison. Professer X, Lex Luther, whats his name from the Invisibles, etc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

I always love how every time Grant Morrison has a bald guy in the comic (which is all the time because there are no shortage of bald guys) they always end up looking like Morrison. Professer X, Lex Luther, whats his name from the Invisibles, etc.

Not only in Morrison written comics! See Captain Cold in New Frontier

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

Not only in Morrison written comics! See Captain Cold in New Frontier

Basically, all bald guys in comics = grant Morrison. I guess all guys with wild hair and bushy beards are Alan Moore, because pre laser shave, Spider Jerusalem looks a hell of a lot like him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Extreme Justice also had the first in-continuity appearance of the Wonder Twins, as violent escaped slaves who turned into like ice giants and dragons and poo poo. Then they joined the team and did nothing and barely appeared.

Part of the issue with this book (and a lot of 1990s DC, this may sound familiar to some of you) was a whole lot of weird editorial interference. I bought a lot of these issues because I liked the writers involved:

1) Dan Vado, founder of Slave Labor Graphics launched the series out of Judgment Day (no not any of the ones you were thinking of) and made it through seven issues (and set up the Monarch stuff) before being abruptly replaced by...
2) Charlie Bracey, whose only other comics credit is a short story in an issue of Justice League Quarterly. I kind of wonder if this isn't someone's "Alan Smithee", frankly. He did one issue before
3) Ivan Velez Jr. took over, who was a Milestone guy whose Blood Syndicate work I loved. He introduced the Wonder Twins in his first issue, had his second and third issues hijacked by the Underworld Unleashed crossover, then left the book.
4) He was replaced by the late Robert Washington Jr, who wrote or co-wrote the first couple years of Static, another Milestone book I loved. He did the last six issues with the aforementioned Legion of Doom.

I assume a great deal of the "Monarch's back, except he's not!" and "Grodd was a robot!" was a result of the editorial office, which included Ruben Diaz. I'm not really sure what the deal is, but Diaz worked on several books with Christopher Priest, and he makes the experiences (on Justice League Task Force, Deadpool make the entire process sound like a lot of top down decrees (and admittedly, also Diaz not playing well with others). It wouldn't shock me if like 90% of Extreme Justice was a series of writers taking the ideas that Diaz pushed them to do, trying to make them work, and then having to walk everything back after Mike Carlin yelled at Ruben Diaz for it.

The series (and Priest's run on JLTF if I recall correctly) also launched out of Zero Hour, which was another of DC's semi-annual "CONTINUITY HAS CHANGED! HOW? uhhh we'll tell you later." periods, so I'm sure someone who thought they could beg forgiveness instead of asking permission was even more of a mess for all parties.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 26, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

twistedmentat posted:

Basically, all bald guys in comics = grant Morrison. I guess all guys with wild hair and bushy beards are Alan Moore, because pre laser shave, Spider Jerusalem looks a hell of a lot like him.

Alex Ross originally drew Brainiac as Grant in Justice, but they ended up changing it. I know there's some promo images or something where it's really obvious.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

twistedmentat posted:

This predates Morrison's involvement with the JLA. Maybe they knew what was going to happen, or it's just coincidence.

Edge & Christian posted:

The series (and Priest's run on JLTF if I recall correctly) also launched out of Zero Hour, which was another of DC's semi-annual "CONTINUITY HAS CHANGED! HOW? uhhh we'll tell you later." periods, so I'm sure someone who thought they could beg forgiveness instead of asking permission was even more of a mess for all parties.

The oblique reference to Zero Hour in the Sandman (Basically the reality storm in Worlds' End is ZH) probably qualifies as STAH material

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 26, 2015

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

twistedmentat posted:

Fun fact: We commented on mountain Spider's resemblance to Moore on the podcast, and Darick Robertson dropped us a line on Twitter to clarify that it was a coincidence and Spider's appearance was based on a friend of his (and provided a photo of said friend as proof.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lightning Lord posted:

This predates Morrison's involvement with the JLA. Maybe they knew what was going to happen, or it's just coincidence.

Or Maybe Morrison grew to look like him?

And I can't see Monarch without thinking of the one from the Venture Bros.

Did anyone talk about how they gave Spider-man organic webshooters to match the movies? It's really loving weird. He gets turned into a giant spider, the giant spider died, and Parker crawls out and now has organic webshooters.

http://i.imgur.com/syhhbpT.jpg

The funny thing is it happens in a single issue, so its like they said "This is dumb but its the only idea we got, so lets get it over with".

I'm not sure if it counts as that weird, but Claremont intended Jean to stay dead. She sacrifices herself on the Moon to save the rest and atone for what she did as Pheonix, which would have been fine. Jean Grey would be remembered as a great character who went out in an unforgettable blaze of glory that was also heart wrenching. Marvel said "Jean can't come back unless we figure out a really good way to do so". So for years she was straight up dead, and Scott was intended to go off and marry Madeline Pryor and never be seen again. Then one of the young writers at Marvel had an idea where Jean could come back because she was not the one who died on the Blue Area of the Moon, but that was a simulacrum created by the Phoenix Force that had all of Jeans memories and personality, but the power of the Phoenix. It sealed Jean away in a cocoon that would heal her while Phoenix would go off and have butte sex with Scott and piss of the Shi'iar. This way Jean could come back and be absolved of her crimes because she didn't commit them. In the Marvel Universe, you are not responsible for the crimes of your clones.

Though I guess what came from Jeans return is weird. The first part of X-factor was this really confusing mess how X-factor were mutant hunters but they were also the evil mutants of the X-terminators, who were the 4 original x-men. The thing is, they straight up played on anti-mutant fear as X-factor and actually made it worst. There were comics where the threat of X-factor drives young mutants to suicide. Thing is, it doesn't occur to anyone in X-factor until the second writer takes over (I want to say Louise Simonson, or is it Ann Nocenti?) and they stop with the X-factor mutant hunter stuff. At least the explanation of why they did such mutant hating advertising was because Cameron Hodge was running that end.

Oh and another weird thing about X-fact, I recently learned that instead of Apocalypse, the Owl was meant to be the ultimate villain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Or Maybe Morrison grew to look like him?

And I can't see Monarch without thinking of the one from the Venture Bros.

Did anyone talk about how they gave Spider-man organic webshooters to match the movies? It's really loving weird. He gets turned into a giant spider, the giant spider died, and Parker crawls out and now has organic webshooters.

http://i.imgur.com/syhhbpT.jpg

The funny thing is it happens in a single issue, so its like they said "This is dumb but its the only idea we got, so lets get it over with".

I'm not sure if it counts as that weird, but Claremont intended Jean to stay dead. She sacrifices herself on the Moon to save the rest and atone for what she did as Pheonix, which would have been fine. Jean Grey would be remembered as a great character who went out in an unforgettable blaze of glory that was also heart wrenching. Marvel said "Jean can't come back unless we figure out a really good way to do so". So for years she was straight up dead, and Scott was intended to go off and marry Madeline Pryor and never be seen again. Then one of the young writers at Marvel had an idea where Jean could come back because she was not the one who died on the Blue Area of the Moon, but that was a simulacrum created by the Phoenix Force that had all of Jeans memories and personality, but the power of the Phoenix. It sealed Jean away in a cocoon that would heal her while Phoenix would go off and have butte sex with Scott and piss of the Shi'iar. This way Jean could come back and be absolved of her crimes because she didn't commit them. In the Marvel Universe, you are not responsible for the crimes of your clones.

Though I guess what came from Jeans return is weird. The first part of X-factor was this really confusing mess how X-factor were mutant hunters but they were also the evil mutants of the X-terminators, who were the 4 original x-men. The thing is, they straight up played on anti-mutant fear as X-factor and actually made it worst. There were comics where the threat of X-factor drives young mutants to suicide. Thing is, it doesn't occur to anyone in X-factor until the second writer takes over (I want to say Louise Simonson, or is it Ann Nocenti?) and they stop with the X-factor mutant hunter stuff. At least the explanation of why they did such mutant hating advertising was because Cameron Hodge was running that end.

Oh and another weird thing about X-fact, I recently learned that instead of Apocalypse, the Owl was meant to be the ultimate villain.

That writer was Kurt Busiek

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2005/12/15/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-29/

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I remember reading an interview with Claremont in Wizard (?) a few years after he left in 1991 where he wasn't even trying to hide the fact that he thought bringing Jean back was stupid. Specifically, he thought it made Cyclops borderline unusable, because Cyclops is now the shithead who left his young wife and infant son alone in Alaska to go investigate the merest possibility that his first love was still alive, and upon finding out that such was the case, leaving Madelyne high and dry. I believe it's what eventually resulted in X-Men Forever, where Scott and Jean get divorced and Scott fucks off to Alaska to be a single dad.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

In the latest issue of Providence, Alan Moore's Lovecraft fanfic comic;

Robert Black (the main character) is propositioned by a naked 13 year old.
When he refuses, he suddenly finds himself in her body.
It's revealed that the girl is possessed by the soul of her father, her own mind "died years ago, in her father's body"
Her father then uses Robert's body to very explicitly rape his daughter (who currently has Robert's mind/soul).

Basically, gently caress you Alan Moore, you creepy rape obsessed motherfucker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

In the latest issue of Providence, Alan Moore's Lovecraft fanfic comic;

Robert Black (the main character) is propositioned by a naked 13 year old.
When he refuses, he suddenly finds himself in her body.
It's revealed that the girl is possessed by the soul of her father, her own mind "died years ago, in her father's body"
Her father then uses Robert's body to very explicitly rape his daughter (who currently has Robert's mind/soul).

Basically, gently caress you Alan Moore, you creepy rape obsessed motherfucker.

I mean, that's literally the plot of Thing at the Doorstep, but the woman was in her 20s as they were college students. But nope, Moore has to added in under aged nudity and rape to it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, that's literally the plot of Thing at the Doorstep, but the woman was in her 20s as they were college students. But nope, Moore has to added in under aged nudity and rape to it.
It's actually worse; in that story, Asenath (the lady in question) was considered somewhat sketchy but met the victim dude in college, and the relationship was initially "ha ha, good for Derby, he found a wife even if she comes on strong." There were the overtones of mental domination but they were low key.

I'm kind of amazed that Alan Moore has managed to make a Lovecraft story more gross.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wanderer posted:

I remember reading an interview with Claremont in Wizard (?) a few years after he left in 1991 where he wasn't even trying to hide the fact that he thought bringing Jean back was stupid. Specifically, he thought it made Cyclops borderline unusable, because Cyclops is now the shithead who left his young wife and infant son alone in Alaska to go investigate the merest possibility that his first love was still alive, and upon finding out that such was the case, leaving Madelyne high and dry. I believe it's what eventually resulted in X-Men Forever, where Scott and Jean get divorced and Scott fucks off to Alaska to be a single dad.

Yea, I always thought the Inferno, and just the general treatment of Pryor was hosed up. Dude's girlfriend dies. He mourns, gets over it, meets another red head, has a kid with her and then fucks off because his first love might still be alive. How can we not make Scott seem like an arsehole, oh by turning his wife into a loving demon. See, she was evil so Scott isn't all to blame.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Madkal posted:

Yea, I always thought the Inferno, and just the general treatment of Pryor was hosed up. Dude's girlfriend dies. He mourns, gets over it, meets another red head, has a kid with her and then fucks off because his first love might still be alive. How can we not make Scott seem like an arsehole, oh by turning his wife into a loving demon. See, she was evil so Scott isn't all to blame.

Rereading the Inferno crossover as an adult, I did think that was one of the things Claremont employed to decent effect, that Madelyne's sense of abandonment and betrayal was entirely warranted. It's wrapped up in a bunch of his favorite tropes (body horror, bizarre dream sequences, brainwashing, someone breaking free of brainwashing...), but if Inferno had come out when the Internet was popular, I bet "Madelyne Was Right" would be a reasonably popular comics-community meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't it get given to Livewire when she became a hero?

It was a different hero (Strange Visitor, I think she was called?). But Evan Dorkin, who created Livewire along with Sarah Dyer, did accuse DC of possibly nabbing the Man of Teal's design from Livewire. There's no evidence that I'm aware of, and it feels like a stretch to me, but it's not impossible.

• Locked thread