Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He CREATED THIS WORLDDDDD

I did Pyramids of Mars, Osirians are mean and they have spooky chair-hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

ewe2 posted:

Beware the Hand of Sutekh!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

e: On the topic of good Big Finish stuff that I missed earlier: the first Big Finishes I ever listened to were the three 1963 ones (my big sis bought me them for christmas, lord only knows where they found them from) and they're a good introduction to Big Finish stuff if you ignore the fact that they are full price. They're stories that you could listen to without any knowledge of Big Finish stuff because they were produced as an additional 50th anniversary thing, and therefore they went a lot closer to the TV show than a lot of Big Finish stories do especially with the seventh Doctor one. My favourite one of the three is The Assassination Games because I'm a sucker for that sort of story (plus it has the Counter Measures folk in it!) but that isn't the one on sale - although Fanfare for the Common Men is pretty good as well.

Those three are pretty great. My least favourite of the three is The Assassination Games, but that may change when I reach that point in my listenthrough.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

ewe2 posted:

My brother made this image immediately after Name of the Doctor went out:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BF announced the release date for The War Doctor: Mon, Dec 14!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---the-war-doctor-1-only-the-monstrous---coming-december-14th-2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
cobiwan still hasn't reviewed the last episode?
He has to before his magic number tattoo counts down to zero, or the raven will fly into him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Acne Rain posted:

He has to before his magic number tattoo counts down to zero, or the raven will fly into him.

Sounds like he needs to...Face The Raven. :smug:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Acne Rain posted:

Wait, there was a new episode this week?!? I thought it was preempted this week due to Thanksgiving!

Eh, I'll watch it tonight. Did anything important happen?

I've been hooked on Fallout 4......gif applies.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 26, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Wait, there was a new episode this week?!? I thought it was preempted this week due to Thanksgiving!

Eh, I'll watch it tonight. Did anything important happen?

I've been hooked on Fallout 4......gif applies.

Why would anything change to the schedule of a British series when there's some American holiday?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why would anything change to the schedule of a British series when there's some American holiday?

I was making a joke to cover for my laziness. I've just been busy and unmotivated all week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Picklepuss posted:

Haha, that's awesome.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's been a while. but there was a point where the US broadcast was on a different schedule to factor in our holidays. SeasonSeries Five was the last time, I believe.

Heartwarming Related Story for Thanksgiving* : After we had met (I was playing music with one of her housemates) but before we were dating, I was Maera Sior's house and saw that she was watching The Big Bang which wasn't due to air here for another three weeks... and was utterly :swoon: then and there.

*Or "Thank God Those Assholes Are Gone Day" in the UK.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I caught up with the last two episodes. Sleep No More was kinda terrible, but I really enjoyed Face The Raven. It reminded me of Utopia in that it seemed like it would be a standalone episode but then it segued wonderfully into whatever three part finale Moffat's got planned (I just hope that the other two parts don't fall as flat as The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords did). And much like Utopia, it was a great episode that was very well written. I feel like Clara's gotten a better death scene than some previous Doctors have, and certainly one of the best exits for a companion. That is, if they stick with it. I'd hate for a last minute cop-out with how great her final scene was.

Anyone else think the symbols on the teleport ring looked a bit Time Lord-y? If they're behind it, that might be why Ashildur took the confession dial. I know that most of them are probably grateful that he saved Gallifrey in the Time War, but he did kind of piss off Rassilon in The End of Time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Gordon Shumway posted:

I caught up with the last two episodes. Sleep No More was kinda terrible, but I really enjoyed Face The Raven. It reminded me of Utopia in that it seemed like it would be a standalone episode but then it segued wonderfully into whatever three part finale Moffat's got planned (I just hope that the other two parts don't fall as flat as The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords did). And much like Utopia, it was a great episode that was very well written. I feel like Clara's gotten a better death scene than some previous Doctors have, and certainly one of the best exits for a companion. That is, if they stick with it. I'd hate for a last minute cop-out with how great her final scene was.

I actually quite enjoyed The Sound of Drums. It's very 'RTD story set in modern London', with all the camp and slightly cheap look that implies when you're familiar with it, but Simm totally pulls off that campiness in a way that's always fun to watch, and it's still got some nice ideas, settings and scenes. It's not a GREAT episode, but it's one I like.

Last of the Time Lords sucks, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can "forgive" a lot of the Master's campiness (hell, I enjoy most of it!) for those moments when he suddenly calms down/gets serious and you get a glimpse of what a monster he is. The phone conversation with the Doctor is an utter highlight of The Sound of Drums, watching him go from refusing to believe Gallifrey was destroyed to thrilling at the thought of what it must have felt like to destroy it is just perfect. The fact the Master just casually plays with/ignores/dismisses/doesn't give a second thought to anybody but the Doctor makes a hell of a lot of sense. That's the only person he takes seriously, all the humans are just playthings to him - most of the time we see him on screen he's just amusing himself/not taking anything seriously because none of the people/places/stakes involved mean anything to him, they're all completely beneath him as things to be taken seriously.

There's a moment right at the end when I thought RTD had completely blown it. They open the tear in time/space to let the Toclafane through and Voodoo Child starts playing - at first I thought it was part of the soundtrack and that just didn't work, it was a stupid and atmosphere ruining moment.... until I realized it was diegetic, that the Master was literally playing this music over the Valiant's loudspeakers just to be a huge dick and suddenly it was utterly perfect. :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 27, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That might be the one thing about Gomez's Master that I miss.

She has yet to have an honest to God genuine moment that shows her for what she truly, honestly is. The closest we get is when she tries to trick the Doctor into killing Clara, but even that is under the pretense of making the Doctor her 'friend'.

I really want to see her actually show herself, like Simm's got to do a few time, like all the Masters get to do. For just a moment, forget the pretense, and lay out what an awful creature she is.

Because the Master's primary motivation in life is be the biggest dick in the room, no matter what, even and some times ESPECIALLY if it costs them their victory.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

That might be the one thing about Gomez's Master that I miss.

She has yet to have an honest to God genuine moment that shows her for what she truly, honestly is. The closest we get is when she tries to trick the Doctor into killing Clara, but even that is under the pretense of making the Doctor her 'friend'.

I really want to see her actually show herself, like Simm's got to do a few time, like all the Masters get to do. For just a moment, forget the pretense, and lay out what an awful creature she is.

Because the Master's primary motivation in life is be the biggest dick in the room, no matter what, even and some times ESPECIALLY if it costs them their victory.

I agree. Missy has been charming, witty, charismatic, engaging...and she's done some very bad bad things, but it's been indiscriminate killing of UNIT soldiers and that one scientist who worked for her. There needs to be a scene that shows she might be charming and insane, but she's also just...well, a crazy bitch.

Writing a scene like this for the Master would be as easy as pie.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I can "forgive" a lot of the Master's campiness (hell, I enjoy most of it!) for those moments when he suddenly calms down/gets serious and you get a glimpse of what a monster he is. The phone conversation with the Doctor is an utter highlight of The Sound of Drums, watching him go from refusing to believe Gallifrey was destroyed to thrilling at the thought of what it must have felt like to destroy it is just perfect. The fact the Master just casually plays with/ignores/dismisses/doesn't give a second thought to anybody but the Doctor makes a hell of a lot of sense. That's the only person he takes seriously, all the humans are just playthings to him - most of the time we see him on screen he's just amusing himself/not taking anything seriously because none of the people/places/stakes involved mean anything to him, they're all completely beneath him as things to be taken seriously.

There's a moment right at the end when I thought RTD had completely blown it. They open the tear in time/space to let the Toclafane through and Voodoo Child starts playing - at first I thought it was part of the soundtrack and that just didn't work, it was a stupid and atmosphere ruining moment.... until I realized it was diegetic, that the Master was literally playing this music over the Valiant's loudspeakers just to be a huge dick and suddenly it was utterly perfect. :allears:

As a total Doctor Who noob, I love John Simm's Master. I even enjoy that utterly ridiculous scene in The End of Time when everyone on Earth turns into the Master, because he seems like he's having the time of his life. And that scene with the Toclafane is amazing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean she reaches out and kills people for no reason in a lot of her scenes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Like Osgood. A shame it didn't stick.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Actually she does that FOR a reason.

Either they're annoying her, or to prove that she is not GUD.

And always with the mask she's adopted with this regeneration. I really can't wait to see her sincere as possible because that is when the Master is always the best. Keep in mind, the Master is not the wacky charismatic, almost friendly backstabbing cartoon villain that they tend to be.

The Master is the cold hearted, hateful, ugly monster that is utterly self centered and self serving. Every Master has the mask slip, I'm just waiting for Gomez to show it as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really just want MIssy to be the new companion.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The Doctor and Clara, with their old friend Rigsy, find themselves in a magical alien world, hidden on a street in the heart of London. Sheltered within are some of the most fearsome creatures of the universe, and Ashildr!

With a death sentence hanging over their heads, not all of the intruders will get out alive.

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in Face the Raven

X X X X X

Cast
The Doctor - Peter Capaldi
Clara - Jenna Coleman
Mayor Me - Maisie Williams
Rigsy - Joivan Wade
Kabel - Simon Manyonda
Rump - Simon Paisley Day
Anahson - Letitia Wright
Chronolock Guy - Robin Soans
Alien Woman - Angela Clerkin
Habrian Woman - Caroline Boulton
Elderly Woman - Jenny Lee
Jen - Naomi Ackie

Written by: Sarah Dollard
Directed by: Justin Molotnikov

Trailer -

Gifs by: J-Ru

X X X X X

Face the Raven was a decent episode of Doctor Who where the sum of its individual and simple parts add up to tell a solid story. The only time the story truly drags is during its most important moment – the departure of Clara Oswald, a drawn out moment that sees the death of the Doctor's companion.

Graffiti artist Rigsy was only supposed to call the TARDIS in case of emergency, but this is a big one – a three digit tattoo on the back of his neck that's counting down every minute, with just over nine hours until it hits “zero,” and no memory of how he got it. The Doctor and Clara, unable to resist a mystery, trace Rigsy's steps to someplace extraordinary. In the heart of London is an alleyway, hidden from human eyes, where alien refugees of all kinds have sought sanctuary from the conflicts of the wider cosmos. The Mayor of this pocket of safety is none other than Ashildr, also known as Me. She is responsible for keeping the peace and security of the refuge via a series of strict rules. Failure to abide by these rules means a death sentence at the hands of a Quantum Shade, a creature who can track its target across all of time and space who has taken the form of a raven. Accused of murdering one of the alley's inhabitants, Rigsy has been sentenced to death at the claws of the raven once the tattoo on his neck counts to zero. The Doctor suspects Rigsy is indeed innocent, but while he tries to decipher the puzzle surrounding the alleged crime Clara has something much more clever in mind to save Rigsy's life...

After an absence of female script writers throughout the show's history, this series of Doctor Who has given us two; The Woman Who Lived by Catherine Tregenna and now Face the Raven by Sarah Dollard, who has penned scripts for multiple BBC series including Merlin, Primeval, and Being Human. With Face the Raven, Dollard delivers a script that moves along neatly and quickly under the direction of Justin Molotnikov (Sleep No More) . Dollard uses the first act of this episode to establish who Rigsy is (an artist, a father with a newborn baby, and someone who would never murder anyone) and also to highlight how well the Doctor and Clara work together as a team as both of them contribute to discovering the trap street that marks the entrance to the alien refuge. It's also a nice piece of writing to cover the passage of time between the nine hours Rigsy has at the beginning of the episode and the just under an hour that he has left as the trio truly dive into the mystery. Rigsy gets the bulk of his characterization during this first act, and it's a bit of a shame that Joivan Wade, who many pegged as a possible companion after his fine turn in Flatline, sees his character reduced to a plot device after this point.

The second act is the true highlight of the episode in my eyes as Dollard and Molotnikov bring the alien refuge to life. It's a cramped-but-cozy alleyway with shops and pubs to serve the huddled masses of a conflicted cosmos that can't help to bring to mind Diagon Alley from the Harry Potter franchise, with aliens of all kinds (I counted an Ice Warrior, a Sontaran, an Ood, and a Cyberman under the eyes of the Judoon police force) disguised as humans. To me, seeing all these different alien races, many of them incredibly hostile, all living under one set of rules and wanting nothing more than a chance to live their lives under a set of firm rules meant to ensure their safety drove home the general plight of refugees much better than The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion did. Their murmurs of “murderer” to Rigsy as he walked past them added to the sense of unease, not just because of the nature of his supposed crime but the fact that he threatened their very security and lives. The Mayor of this refuge is none other than Me, aka Ashildr, aka Massie Williams, who enforces the rules under penalty of death. Me is the centerpiece of the ultimate conspiracy that surrounds Rigsy's Chronolock, once again waiting on the Doctor to arrive to further her own goals. Williams does a fine job as Me, pulling off the firm leader as well as the smugness when she proclaims herself cleverer than the Doctor. Her character is a great study in immortality and how one deals with it when they do not have mental faculties to understand their experiences. The Doctor is functionally immortal, but he has the capacity to remember his mistakes, screw-ups, and poor choices. Every bad decision he's ever made he has to live with. Me, on the other hand, only reads about her mistakes in her diaries IF she chooses to write them down or decides not to rip the pages out. It's immortality without the capacity for morality. Having such a unique character show up in three out of six episode however dulls her impact. It's almost as if Moffat is showing off his newest toy, ala River Song, and with that character a little went a long way, and a lot went a very short way. Me/Ashildr is no River Song, and her smugness is definitely not earned. But it does make the moment during the climax where she realizes how her plan has gone awry and how she's earned the Doctor's wrath that much sweeter.

Of course, the Doctor figures out the mystery, determines Rigsy's innocence, and puts himself in harm's way to set things right (although I wish they had spent a little more time on the Janus aliens). It's here that Me reveals her trap and that she needed to give the Doctor a mystery to solve in order to deliver him to her benefactors, someone who offered to keep her refuge safe in return for handing the Doctor over to them. But when Me goes to removes Rigsy's Chronolock...

Clara believed she found the loophole in Me's Chronolock under the guise of “hospitality,” that Me couldn't harm her since she has promised her personal protection to Clara for as long as she was in the alley. When watching this moment live, I have no problem admitting that I yelled “Clara, you gently caressing idiot.” The moment itself wasn't a surprise however. It was the climax of Clara's entire character arc with the Twelfth Doctor. Ever since Deep Breath the viewers have seen just how intertwined Clara's life has become with the Doctor's. She's been a very bold and brave companion, refusing to be passive, much like numerous other companions. But whereas previous companions have used the Doctor's presence to find a wellspring of confidence and courage inside of them, Clara began to imitate the Doctor in both word and deed. Flatline was the perfect example of this where Clara WAS the Doctor and saved the day, to the point where the Doctor told her “You were an exceptional Doctor. Goodness had nothing to do with it.” Clara always saw herself as smart and clever, someone who worked alongside someone else who was smart, clever...and always saved people. The Doctor won the day often by sacrificing or appearing to sacrifice himself, but he was always “less breakable” than she was. Clara's reckless decision spelled her doom...and set into an action her death scene.

I like Jenna Coleman as an actress. I thought she had much better chemistry with Peter Capaldi than she did with Matt Smith and Clara was a more fitting companion with Twelve than she was with Eleven. And her final moments were very well done and could have been an absolutely perfect send off if they hadn't of taken so bloody long. Me's realization of Clara's screw-up mixed very well with Clara's realization of her huge mistake and the Doctor's understanding that this is a problem he can't solve. Capaldi's furious anger at Me is a sight to behold, the distillation of a Time Lord's fury into a few chilling lines.

quote:

The Doctor: Fix this. Fix it now.

Ashildr: It's not possible. I...I can't.

The Doctor: Yes, it is. You can, and you will, or this street will be over. I'll show you and all your funny little friends to the whole laughing world. I'll bring UNIT, I'll bring the Zygons. Give me a minute, I’ll bring the Daleks and the Cybermen. You will save Clara, and you will do it now or I will rain hell on you for the rest of time!

Clara: Doctor, stop talking like that.

Ashildr: You can't.

The Doctor: I can do whatever the hell I like. You read the stories. You know who I am. And in all that time, did you ever hear anything about anyone who stopped me?

Ashildr: I know the Doctor. The Doctor would nev...

The Doctor: The Doctor is no longer here. You are stuck with me! And I will end you and everything you love.

Clara's never seen this side of the Doctor before. She's heard about it in The Day of the Doctor but to stand at this very moment where the Doctor threatens to burn it all down is horrifying to her. But credit to Clara for remembering the central tenant of being a companion - keep the Doctor grounded.

quote:

Clara: You. You listen to me. You're going to be alone now, and you're very bad at that. You're going to be furious, and you're going to be sad, but listen to me. Don't let this change you. No, listen. Whatever happens next, wherever she is sending you, I know what you're capable of. You don't be a warrior. Promise me. Be a Doctor.

The Doctor: What's the point of being a Doctor if I can't cure you?

Clara: Heal yourself. You have to. You can't let this turn you into a monster. So, I'm not asking you for a promise. I'm giving you an order. You will not insult my memory. There will be no revenge. I will die, and no one else, here or anywhere, will suffer.

The Doctor: What about me?

Clara: If there was something I could do about that, I would. I guess we're both just going to have to be brave.

It's a great acting moment for Coleman and Capaldi, it really is. Both Clara and the Doctor realize what's about to happen, and handle it with dignity and grace; Clara's death and the Doctor's reaction to her death. Clara walks out into the street, ready for what's going to happen, and faces the raven without flinching. It's truly a powerful scene...but it just felt incredibly long and drawn out. A little too much hand-wringing and “be good for me” for my tastes. A moment like this, I shouldn't be glancing at the clock, but I found my eyes flicking towards the cable box waiting for Clara to just...well, die. It was common knowledge that Clara was leaving at the end of this series and killing her off before the finale is a bold move. But it just didn't have the emotional impact of Amy's final decision in The Angels Take Manhattan or Adric's stoic bravery from Earthshock. The acting was great and the moment emotional, but...

My less-than-Tumblr-gushing response to Clara's death might be because I don't believe this the last viewers will see of Clara. I believe she's dead, but an image, a memory, a ghost will pop up during the final episodes in some capacity. Maybe in one of her “Impossible Girl” incarnations? I hope not...I believe when a companion dies, that should be all she wrote for onscreen appearances not counting archive footage...but I'm not holding my breath on this one. As of right now, I'm treating this episode much like I put Utopia with The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords. This episode isn't officially part of the season finale, but it still feels like it's going to directly tie in to those stories in some capacity. Which means we're probably going to see Clara again.

If you put aside Clara's death, Face the Raven is a solid “B+” episode of Doctor Who with a neat, fast-paced murder mystery in a setting that's both Earthbound and exotic. The death of a companion should elevate this story to “classic” status, but I'm holding off on making that call until I see the season finale.

Random Thoughts
- The Doctor: I was lost a long time ago. She was saving you. I'll do my best. But I strongly advise you to keep out of my way. You'll find that it's a very small universe when I'm angry with you. Capaldi portrays the “Time Lord Pissed Off” better than any other Doctor.
- The return of the cue cards was a nice touch and drove home just how even the Doctor thought Rigsy was beyond help.
- And what IS the point of Me taking the Doctor's last will and testament?
- For those of you who still haven't seen David Tennant's astounding turn in Jessica Jones, I just have one word for you. Smile.

Cobi's SynopsisFace the Raven tells a neat little murder mystery in an exotic setting, but it's the emotional and well-done, if slightly overwrought, exit of Clara Oswald that helps this episode make its mark.

Next up - The Doctor faces the greatest challenge of his many lives...

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...Heaven Sent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I feel like what Missy's hiding behind that mask, more than anything else and more than any other Master, is just loneliness. I'm realizing just how much she's reaching out to, working with, and even kind of relying on other people, and I think that's supposed to be the thing; she's seen the Doctor going on without her and surrounding him with people, seeing both him overcome problems thanks to them and fill his own loneliness, and she wants that too. Not just by reaching out to the Doctor and trying to be friends; she built up 3W around her and got help from them. When she got the confession dial, what did she do but specifically reach out to Clara and UNIT (in her own way, admittedly). And when she and Clara got separated from the Doctor on Skaro, she makes efforts to actually cooperate with her.

...Only to screw up each and every one of those instances because she's surrounding herself with people that she ultimately doesn't value whatsoever. That, I think, is what they're going for with her: she wants an equal partnership, but she just can't bring herself to care enough about 'lesser' people than her to maintain one. It'd be great to see that in a more direct way, to see that mask finally slip, but that's where I think it's going.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CobiWann posted:

Next up - The Doctor faces the greatest challenge of his many lives...

Peter Capaldi is the Doctor in...Heaven Sent.

So this makes greatest challenge/worst day #58, right?

Also yeah, watch Jessica Jones, Tennant's awesome in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CobiWann posted:

I agree. Missy has been charming, witty, charismatic, engaging...and she's done some very bad bad things, but it's been indiscriminate killing of UNIT soldiers and that one scientist who worked for her. There needs to be a scene that shows she might be charming and insane, but she's also just...well, a crazy bitch.

Writing a scene like this for the Master would be as easy as pie.

After watching Thick of it I support Missy's killing of Ollie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought Face the Raven was just excellent, and that Clara's death was handled extremely well. I didn't mind the length apart from two niggling issues - one was that they kept showing the Raven flying through the streets to get to her, interspersed with her chatting away with the Doctor, and the street isn't that big, to the point it got almost comical. Secondly was the terrible edit on her actual death, repeating the shot of her being struck by the raven from several angles. Just a little tidier editing and I think the scene would have been fantastic, instead it was just very good.

Overall the episode was just a big step up over recent weeks, though.

NowonSA posted:

watch Jessica Jones

:agreed:

NowonSA posted:

Tennant's awesome in it.

bobkatt013 posted:

watch.... Thick of It

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

CobiWann posted:

(although I wish they had spent a little more time on the Janus aliens).

According to Sarah Dollard's tumblr they were originally the main focus of the episode before it got moved up to being the pre-finale and the last part became all about Clara. I kind of wish one of the worse episodes had been in this position because we still could have had a cool death scene while not losing time from what looked like a pretty great stand-alone story.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

According to Sarah Dollard's tumblr they were originally the main focus of the episode before it got moved up to being the pre-finale and the last part became all about Clara. I kind of wish one of the worse episodes had been in this position because we still could have had a cool death scene while not losing time from what looked like a pretty great stand-alone story.

I was about to say do we really want her to die from a sleep monster, but then realised that a sleep dust Reece shearsmith actually killing Clara probably would have saved that episode.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
There is a periodic thing they have started on the iPlayer where Frank Skinner talks to a random "tv personality" about shows they find interesting on the iPlayer and play clips (basically an advert for the service).
In the latest one he recommends Dr Who (no suprise as he is a huge fan), but he specifically points out the Doctors war speech in the zygon inversion and gets really emotional about it, like literally crying just from rewatching it and talking about it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gordon Shumway posted:

Anyone else think the symbols on the teleport ring looked a bit Time Lord-y? If they're behind it, that might be why Ashildur took the confession dial. I know that most of them are probably grateful that he saved Gallifrey in the Time War, but he did kind of piss off Rassilon in The End of Time.

There's two interesting things.

1) Ashildur kept insisting she didn't mean for anyone to get hurt.

2) She took the Doctors TARDIS key away so he couldn't be tracked where he was going.

So it seems that wherever she teleported the Doctor isn't somewhere she thinks he would be in danger, and wherever it is is somewhere the people at the other side of the teleport want to keep hidden.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Picklepuss posted:

Genius! He should do a Key of Time series with Clara saving Tom from everything :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mr Beens posted:

There is a periodic thing they have started on the iPlayer where Frank Skinner talks to a random "tv personality" about shows they find interesting on the iPlayer and play clips (basically an advert for the service).
In the latest one he recommends Dr Who (no suprise as he is a huge fan), but he specifically points out the Doctors war speech in the zygon inversion and gets really emotional about it, like literally crying just from rewatching it and talking about it.

It IS an amazing moment. if you're going to get worked up from watching Doctor Who, it's an absolutely fine choice.

Hell, I admit tearing up JUST a little bit at "Oh, for God's sake. Gallifrey stands."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

It IS an amazing moment.

Or it would be if it had any political insight beyond primary school level stuff.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or it would be if it had any political insight beyond primary school level stuff.

In this age of political discourse and rhetoric, I'll take what I can get.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CobiWann posted:

In this age of political discourse and rhetoric, I'll take what I can get.

Primary school anti-war rhetoric is already a step above a lot of what we get these days.

Also, while I didn't get shaken by Inversion (although I will agree it was a really good speech), I will admit to shedding a few tears on the fiftieth as well. I don't remember if it was 'Gallifrey Stands' or the Curator that got me, but I do know that by the end of it I was a bit misty.

And then they aired An Adventure in Space and Time that night, and I got REALLY teary.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cleretic posted:

Primary school anti-war rhetoric is already a step above a lot of what we get these days.

Not really, "If only the guys who have poo poo lives would just shut up and take it instead of fighting that'd be much better" is absolutely the political orthodoxy. If anything it's the fundamental statement of conservatism :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dr Who was probably never going to come out and say ISIS was justified, TBH.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It's a kinda poo poo speech but Capaldi acted the hell out of it. I was mesmerized through the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The second half of the speech (the anti-war part, rather than the anti-revolution part) should have been yelled at Kate, IMO.

The first part should've been done away with entirely.

• Locked thread