Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Now now, don't get the thread locked. While questions are fun to ask, any answers however benign should wait until after the next update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dr. Fetus posted:

You can't trigger it on a neutral run. It has to be on a pacifist run.

I think it's pacifist but not TRUE pacifist
I have never killed anyone. Sans appeared on my first run, but upon resetting to do the true pacifist path, he did not appear.

(well I DID kill asgore given the choice at the end of the first run but that doesn't count. It took loving FOREVER for me to beat him and he said he'd understand if I did. But I have never killed anyone else and I am not doing a genocide run)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The room is just going to be filled with whoopee cushions isn't it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's filled with erotic Undertale fanfiction

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Can you do this thing with Sans in the 1st pacifist run?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CodfishCartographer posted:

The room is just going to be filled with whoopee cushions isn't it.

It's gonna be his secret not-quite-a-pie stash

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

slowbeef posted:

Yeah, wow, hold on. I know nothing about this.

I am actually the first person who found this after release? So I can answer this:

Samovar posted:

Can you do this thing with Sans in the 1st pacifist run?

Yes, you can. But most players wouldn't think to, considering the copious amounts of save points available after Sans' speech.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It's just going to be :shittydog:, isn't it?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

You actually have to do it on a pacifist but not true pacifist run because after the true lab sans doesn't show up in the judgement hall.

On another note, I really like how you've titled the parts. The Undertale soundtrack has some great song names, they really fit quite well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

!!!!!!!!!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Help me out here, is the genocide run not just a self-defense run? I mean I don't want to go all castle doctrine on this fake jrpg, but Toriel shot first.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

VagueRant posted:

Help me out here, is the genocide run not just a self-defense run? I mean I don't want to go all castle doctrine on this fake jrpg, but Toriel shot first.

It's called genocide for a reason. Hunt down and exterminate all of the monsters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Genocide is going out of your way to kill everyone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

VagueRant posted:

This is not self-defense.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

VagueRant posted:

Just going through an area and taking the fights as you encounter them would count as a self defense run if you want to call it that. Genocide run requires you to stick around and do random encounters until the random encounters literally say "But nobody came".

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
This thread never ceases to find new ways to amaze.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Frisk did nothing wrong.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Chara did nothing wrong.

Who said Frisk was in control? :unsmigghh:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Prof did nothing wrong.

We are above consequences :smugdog:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Frisk did nothing wrong.

14 ATT 88 DEF

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Frisk must secure the existence of her people and a future for human children.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

It's called genocide for a reason. Hunt down and exterminate all of the monsters.
In fairness, all those monsters would attack and kill a pacifist child, so clearing them out really is a public service.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is not self-defense.
Good point actually. Was going to say Papyrus attacks a pacifist player...but as a recent update proved, he never actually kills you, only politely takes you prisoner. He's alright, that Papyrus. :unsmith:

I guess Chara/Prof is a bad guy after all. (I still have zero remorse for the monsters I killed.)

fritz posted:

14 ATT 88 DEF
This one took me some research. Didn't even know this was a thing.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
prof i can't believe you never got a room at the hotel

it's one of the best things, if completely pointless

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Gyra_Solune posted:

prof i can't believe you never got a room at the hotel

it's one of the best things, if completely pointless

The third run is not over.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

VagueRant posted:

In fairness, all those monsters would attack and kill a pacifist child, so clearing them out really is a public service.

snowdrake just wanted to tell you a joke you monster

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

fritz posted:

14 ATT 88 DEF

:shittypop:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know, I just thought of something. This game tracks a lot of things, from all indication.

So what happens if you do a Genocide run, sell your SOUL, and then turn around and do Genocide to sell your SOUL again?

Can you just continually sell your SOUL to Chara Prof?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

We can discuss it after Prof opens the floor to whatever he may have missed.

Not before then.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I like to imagine that this is the look on Frisk's face when Sans starts judging them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Monsters fire salvos of magical projectiles at each other as a form of basic communication. It's not their fault Frisk can't handle a friendly hello!

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I didn't expect learning about white supremacist culture in an LP of a retro-style RPG. Thank you thread.

VagueRant posted:

Well, monsters are known to send bullet pattern birthday cards, so whether they are actually attacking can be hard to argue at times.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
This is one of the things I was looking forward to. I can't wait to see thread reactions to The Truth.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Oxxidation posted:

Monsters fire salvos of magical projectiles at each other as a form of basic communication. It's not their fault Frisk can't handle a friendly hello!

It's a bit like the Correspondence. Especially since Fallen London takes place underground in a cavern which is extremely hard to leave, and people eat to get over injuries.

Hmmm....

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I guess Chara/Prof is a bad guy after all. (I still have zero remorse for the monsters I killed.)

I'd say calling it self defense works less than usual in this case. Rather, I think you should call it a 'Feared for my life run'

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
I can't believe how this thread turned out.

But in all honesty, the mindset you need for the Genocide route of this game is essentially the basic mentality you have to have in other RPGs: look for random encounters, hunt down monsters, gain EXP and LVs and bring down the boss of that area. Undertale just takes it to the logical conclusion. I think it's one of the more powerful aspect of the game that makes it so memorable.

edit: Wording

ArcadePark fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 29, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

RareAcumen posted:

I'd say calling it self defense works less than usual in this case. Rather, I think you should call it a 'Feared for my life run'

The It's Coming Right For Us run.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Who the gently caress looks for random encounters in RPGs? I avoid that poo poo like the plague. When I'm in a fight I don't run, but grinding is awful and anyone who likes it should get dunked on. Any game that encourages it belongs in the garbage, no need to elongate your 30 hour game jerks. :argh:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

Who the gently caress looks for random encounters in RPGs? I avoid that poo poo like the plague. When I'm in a fight I don't run, but grinding is awful and anyone who likes it should get dunked on. Any game that encourages it belongs in the garbage, no need to elongate your 30 hour game jerks. :argh:

People speedrunning genocide route, that's who :v:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Jeek posted:

People speedrunning genocide route, that's who :v:

I just know this is the first thing some people have seen of Undertale. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

This is why I don't think you could feasibly come across the genocide run on accident for your first playthrough. The only game I can think of for looking for fights is TWEWY and even then you don't even have to trudge through them since the fights don't even happen till you hit a button and start tapping them [It's a DS game] to get into a battle.

• Locked thread