Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The hybrid destined to destroy Gallifrey... is me. I did it at the end of the Time War, except then I undid it, or possibly never actually did it in the first place. Jelly baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

CobiWann posted:

memory palace
:colbert: A memory palace is specifically for recalling information. The doctor goes back to the TARDIS to think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The official Lego Doctor Who set is now available for $60. Sadly it's kind of rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maera Sior posted:

:colbert: A memory palace is specifically for recalling information. The doctor goes back to the TARDIS to think.

To be fair, the latter seems to be what Sherlock uses his for too (in the modern tv series). It was really only Magnussen who used it for its actual intended purpose.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, it's almost certainly that, and it's almost certainly why they named her that in her second episode, to set up this week's cliffhanger line.

This is true.

But I think we're all forgetting that she was not the ONLY hybrid who was created via that process. There is a third option.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I also have to give Heaven Sent credit for making his return to Gallifrey feel earned. It's hard to picture a harder path to Gallifrey than two billion plus years dying and replicating yourself.

I'm anticipating us finally seeing the Doctor making some stone cold "I did worse things than you can possible imagine in the Time War" decisions, only to be saved by one last Clara vision or something. I'm still holding out hope for the season to have been out of order too. He might get a limited memory wipe somewhere in the process too, since he did recognize Ashildr when he first saw her but didn't know from where.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

2house2fly posted:

The hybrid destined to destroy Gallifrey... is me. I did it at the end of the Time War, except then I undid it, or possibly never actually did it in the first place. Jelly baby?

Stay out of this McGann :mad:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

So, what's the over/under on both Me being the hybrid (duh) and Peter Capaldi's appearance in the Fires of Pompeii being some sort of hybrid amalgamation of the Doctor due to [time reasons]?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Good write up CobiWann, I agree I liked everything except the hybrid stuff, and changing what Troughton said. But that's typical Moffat. Good and bad, except for season 5.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Related

http://qntm.org/responsibility

~10 minute short story.

Which given the site name has made me wonder if you're the same.

Yup.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Maera Sior posted:

In my defense, I've never seen an episode of Sherlock and was going off what I briefly read online. When I think "memory palace" I actually think Hannibal...

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CobiWann posted:

But now, he left Gallifrey because he was running from the concept of the Hybrid and the early prophecies of the Time War. To me, the Doctor should always have an air of mystery and an alien nature. The more Moffat defines and codifies him, the more the Doctor loses that aura.

I think you misunderstood the Doctor, there. His three confessions are completely unrelated:
- He is scared of dying.
- He left Galifrey because he was scared.
- He knows about the hybrid, and it scares him.

That doesn't mean he left Galifrey because he was scared of getting killed by the hybrid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

In my defense, I've never seen an episode of Sherlock and was going off what I briefly read online.

I know I say this to you a lot about very good British shows you've for some reason neglected to watch.... but it's a very good show you should watch! To be fair, some episodes are really only carried by the enormous chemistry between the two leads, but when it's good it is REALLY good. Some people didn't like season 3, I enjoyed it quite a bit but can see where they were coming from, and the cliffhanger ending was astonishingly campy and hopefully to be quickly swept under the rug and forgotten about.

And I did enjoy your write-up too, thanks for doing it. It's fun to see a reflection on an episode so soon after it airs, though this season in particular I feel is going to feel very different once we've seen everything and it all (hopefully) ties together.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ha, teenyverse.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

I know I say this to you a lot about very good British shows you've for some reason neglected to watch.... but it's a very good show you should watch! To be fair, some episodes are really only carried by the enormous chemistry between the two leads, but when it's good it is REALLY good. Some people didn't like season 3, I enjoyed it quite a bit but can see where they were coming from, and the cliffhanger ending was astonishingly campy and hopefully to be quickly swept under the rug and forgotten about.

And I did enjoy your write-up too, thanks for doing it. It's fun to see a reflection on an episode so soon after it airs, though this season in particular I feel is going to feel very different once we've seen everything and it all (hopefully) ties together.

I was on board for the first two series but there's only really so much "Aha! I knew it all along, you simpering cretins, especially you in the audience" one can take.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the Doctor left Gallifrey because he felt guilty about killing Torvik then making a deal with the personification of Death to stick the blame on his childhood playmate, the Master. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

I was on board for the first two series but there's only really so much "Aha! I knew it all along, you simpering cretins, especially you in the audience" one can take.

To be fair, I am a simpering cretin! :unsmith:
wrings cloth cap between hands while looking at ground

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'll do my standard seconding of a J-Ru recommendation here and also recommend you watch Sherlock, it's quite good.

And More posted:

I think you misunderstood the Doctor, there. His three confessions are completely unrelated:
- He is scared of dying.
- He left Galifrey because he was scared.
- He knows about the hybrid, and it scares him.

That doesn't mean he left Galifrey because he was scared of getting killed by the hybrid.

Yeah, my reading was that he ran because he was scared, full stop. Soon after that he starts thinking about the hybrid and how he can't say anything about where it's at or what it is, even if it kills him. Should be plenty of room if they want to eventually get into what he was so scared of when he first ran from Gallifrey, ruin some more of that mystique .

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

The third season is what happens when you start listening to Tumblr.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to the xmas special.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You can be both bored and scared. The midlife crisis cry of "Is this all there is?" The fate of most Time Lords is to become a stuffed shirt in a funny hat. Imagine facing the same boring office job for the next 900 years. Once you get into middle management there is very little chance of promotion, what with everyone being nearly immortal and all. Terrifying.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought the Doctor left Gallifrey because he felt guilty about killing Torvik then making a deal with the personification of Death to stick the blame on his childhood playmate, the Master. :v:

You should feel bad for posting this.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

So, what's the over/under on both Me being the hybrid (duh) and Peter Capaldi's appearance in the Fires of Pompeii being some sort of hybrid amalgamation of the Doctor due to [time reasons]?

Hasn't that already been touched on? He remembered that he "chose that face" because he always goes back to rescue people.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
That was a great episode! The slow burn at the first while the reveals come, then the montage getting faster and faster to the end. Yeah, the hybrid stuff is a bit annoying at this point but at least they haven't bludgeoned us with it like they did Missy last season and the cracks and etc...

Watching it a second time with my wife last night I noticed some of the really cool moments I missed first time around, and enjoyed it even more, though she, surprisingly hated the whole thing. She said it was just "Moffatt being Moffetty, look at how smart I am, I'm tricking you, etc..." which I can see a bit, but I'd have to agree with other posters that it seems to be what he does best (and hardly does any more).

Capaldi really sold the whole thing. I'm not sure any of our modern Docs could have pulled off that episode, and even if they had it wouldn't have worked as well as it did.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I didn’t think that the Doctor was scared of the Hybrid killing him – he was scared of the Hybrid and what it would become in the grand scheme of things, kind of that momentary panic when you hear a gunshot in the distance before realizing its hunting season. Or realizing it’s a lot closer than you originally thought it was.

I took that the Hybrid was the starting pistol that got the Doctor running.

Tikifire posted:

Capaldi really sold the whole thing. I'm not sure any of our modern Docs could have pulled off that episode, and even if they had it wouldn't have worked as well as it did.

I could see Christopher Eccleston pulling off a “one hander” type episode.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 1, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Angela Christine posted:

You can be both bored and scared. The midlife crisis cry of "Is this all there is?" The fate of most Time Lords is to become a stuffed shirt in a funny hat. Imagine facing the same boring office job for the next 900 years. Once you get into middle management there is very little chance of promotion, what with everyone being nearly immortal and all. Terrifying.

Yeah, if you haven't at some point been scared of boredom I want your life, because that means you're either very comfortable or very exciting.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I got the impression that the whole point of the confession dial was to get the doctor to Gallifrey. Since Gallifrey is now in a pocket dimension which is really, really hard to enter, a situation had to be set up where there would be a lot of time to spend on trying to enter it.

Now that I think about it that seems silly because if the point really was just to do that the whole setup seems a bit too elaborate, but I'm still expecting something akin to that to be revealed/explained, that the diamond wall represented the impassable wall between our dimension and the pocket dimension.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Let me put it this way, this episode was so bloody great, it made me remember I had SA account. One thing confuses me, though, with all the moaning Ten did about his regeneration, how does the Doctor saying he's afraid of death count as a confession?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Let me put it this way, this episode was so bloody great, it made me remember I had SA account. One thing confuses me, though, with all the moaning Ten did about his regeneration, how does the Doctor saying he's afraid of death count as a confession?

Maybe the first one is something easy to help the inmate learn the rules. So any true statement might do at first, and then to get it to stop again later you have to give more and more important confessions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did he ever explicitly say he was scared? He presented it more as regret that he wouldn't get to do more.

I think the fear theme ties in a lot with Listen, incidentally. His super quick thinking here reminded me of 'fear is a superpower'.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Different Doctor different rules, probably. 11 never seemed that upset about dying.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

CobiWann posted:

The Doctor knowing how to throw a punch goes back to the Third Doctor story Carnival of Monsters where he proclaims John L Sullvian taught him how to box.
Don't forget the First Doctor story The Romans...

DOCTOR: Young lady, why did you have to come in and interrupt? Just as I'd got him all softened up and ready for the old one, two.
VICKI: You're all right then?
DOCTOR: All right? Of course, I'm all right, my child. You know, I am so constantly outwitting the opposition, I tend to forget the delights and satisfaction of the arts, the gentle art of fisticuffs.
VICKI: I realise you're a man of many talents, Doctor, but I didn't know fighting was one of them.
DOCTOR: My dear, I am one of the best. Do you know it was I that used to teach the Mountain Mauler of Montana!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

RIP Styles' wine cellar.

(Credit to the Off Target Facebook group)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I guess a pertinent question rising from that episode is do all Time Lords have a confession dial? Is it a Time Lord invention?

Or is a confession dial something else, invented by another race. I mean, who would invent such a thing for themselves?

"I know, we'll create a pocket torture dimension for each and every one of our race, capital idea!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I guess a pertinent question rising from that episode is do all Time Lords have a confession dial? Is it a Time Lord invention?

Or is a confession dial something else, invented by another race. I mean, who would invent such a thing for themselves?

"I know, we'll create a pocket torture dimension for each and every one of our race, capital idea!"

A confession dial is meant to be the equivalent of a Time Lord's last will and testament. This one was actually a trap for the Doctor, as opposed to being what we were told it was. Every confession dial is not meant to be a personal torture device, this one was a trap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have Doctor Who Lego! I'm quite happy about this.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Jerusalem posted:

A confession dial is meant to be the equivalent of a Time Lord's last will and testament. This one was actually a trap for the Doctor, as opposed to being what we were told it was. Every confession dial is not meant to be a personal torture device, this one was a trap.

... Or it could be a torture device for some people. Time Lords are a weird and secretive bunch, so you might have to come up with a creative way to get people to reveal their secrets before they pop their clogs. Stuff like "How does this vital technology you spent 3000 years developing actually work?". It's probably not that... unpleasant for most Time Lords so long as they spill the beans, but they might spend a simulated eon or two in a rainy caravan in Wales with a broken telly.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

I have Doctor Who Lego! I'm quite happy about this.

I heard it's harder to put together than the last story in The Trial of a Time Lord. How is it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Murderion posted:

... Or it could be a torture device for some people. Time Lords are a weird and secretive bunch, so you might have to come up with a creative way to get people to reveal their secrets before they pop their clogs. Stuff like "How does this vital technology you spent 3000 years developing actually work?". It's probably not that... unpleasant for most Time Lords so long as they spill the beans, but they might spend a simulated eon or two in a rainy caravan in Wales with a broken telly.

Well anything is always possible, but when the concept of a confession dial is first introduced to us, it's explicitly stated to be the Time Lord version of a Last Will and Testament, and something to be delivered to the owner's closest friend on the owner's last day.

I mean sure it's the Master who tells us all this, and we could end up learning all kinds of new information in the next episode that states that there is no such thing as a confession dial anyway or something. But I see absolutely no reason to assume that generally speaking a Confession Dial is meant to be by default a personal torture device carried around by Time Lords, which makes no sense at all. Occam's razor dictates that this particular "confession dial" is far more likely to be exactly what this episode made it out be, a trap for the Doctor disguised as something entirely different.

Edit: I'm sorry to keep on going on about this, but the idea of,"So ALL confession dials are actually personal torture devices that the Time Lords make for themselves?" strikes me as the same kind of thinking as,"There was a spike trap under that pile of leaves, why do humans hide spike traps under ALL piles of leaves in the world?"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 2, 2015

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: I'm sorry to keep on going on about this, but the idea of,"So ALL confession dials are actually personal torture devices that the Time Lords make for themselves?" strikes me as the same kind of thinking as,"There was a spike trap under that pile of leaves, why do humans hide spike traps under ALL piles of leaves in the world?"

You don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Murderion posted:

You don't?

Of course not, you can feel safe walking across my yard, as represented by this board in my private study:

• Locked thread