Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ded posted:

This just in : glasses are not actually a good disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

That was the best episode of the show.

How did Cat figure out Kara was Supergirl when she worked with Clark for years and never figured it out. It would have been better if her line was " I guess Clark's your cousin"

I hope it is revealed that she also knows that Clark Kent is Superman and just keeps the information to herself.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Don't you think Superman may have heard about the flying lady in the sky over National city? How loving clueless is he? Oh, he was probably in space or something at the time *handwave*

Also what kind of lovely plan is to get yourself captured? The enemy doesn't know where you are, or what your plans are. What possible reason could she need to distract the humans? Unless she pulls some "I'm in their base" poo poo next episode she effectively was captured for no reason at all.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've really enjoyed this show. I think Melissa Benoist is great as Supergirl. Even with today's CGI and technology, this is a tough show to pull off and I think they do a pretty good job. It's corny but hey, its a comic book on TV. I like it.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That was actually some quality television. If they continue like this we should be in for a good season. Also the lead actress is amazingly beautiful

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HERAK posted:

I hope it is revealed that she also knows that Clark Kent is Superman and just keeps the information to herself.

She wants to see how long it will take Lois to figure it out, she's still waiting.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Cat - I pay supergirl pennies and she brings me my lunch and does my laundry. :smug:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Lois already knows I'm sure.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really glad this show got much better in the last few episodes. I was starting to worry. After my experience with Gotham's early season 1 I knew that I should give it some time to hit its groove and it looks like they finally have.

More Martian Manhunter though, please. I want bad rear end mind reading scenes where we get to visually see what is happening in their minds.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think that Astra does still care for Kara and wants her to understand the truth of things, so that factored into the "get captured" plan. And if Kara won't turn, well, then it's still a good opportunity to get into her head and mess with her emotions a bit, 'cuz as we know Supergirl's one of those heroes whose power levels are determined by her emotional state.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Windows 98 posted:

Don't you think Superman may have heard about the flying lady in the sky over National city? How loving clueless is he? Oh, he was probably in space or something at the time *handwave*

National City is Supergirl's city and he promised he wouldn't interfere unless she asked for help.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

greatn posted:

National City is Supergirl's city and he promised he wouldn't interfere unless she asked for help.

There is a huge difference between random bad guy of the week and more surviving members of his race being discovered.

e: I was just being snarky, I know he can't be in the show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Astra seems unable to tell the difference between "our planet is dead within a year, we need to get attention now any way we can" and "this planet is screwed in a few decades, and people will give me plenty of attention if I just fly in front of a camera."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bruceski posted:

See, if a MALE boss ordered her to take off her glasses while drinking alone on the balcony, we'd be looking at a harassment lawsuit.

This made me laugh a lot. Thank you.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

There is a huge difference between random bad guy of the week and more surviving members of his race being discovered.

e: I was just being snarky, I know he can't be in the show.

He might not care much if he has Kandor in the fortress of Solitude or has resettled it on New Krypton.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Kammat posted:

Weird side thought: How bad would insurance premiums be in a city there one of the Supes lived?

There's a new Marvel series starting up to answer these sort of questions

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-marvel-comedy-20151002-story.html

ded posted:

Cat - I pay supergirl pennies and she brings me my lunch and does my laundry. :smug:

Yeah, kind of strange for Kara to keep working for Cat. OTOH, they do get along well and it will make for some good jokes and knowing looks between them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Either no one told David Harewood you're supposed to keep hella mum about comic book show stuff or they're purposely trying to drum up some interest in this plot.

http://tvline.com/2015/12/15/the-100-season-3-spoilers-clarke-lexa/

quote:

Now that Supergirl‘s Hank Henshaw has revealed he is J’onn J’onzz aka the Martian Manhunter, any chance we will see any White Martians? –Vanessa
As a matter of fact, in Episode 11 — aka the third after the break — “We have a visitor from another planet who’s a White Martian,” David Harewood reveals. “There are two Martian species — a Green Martian species and a White Martian species — and the White Martians, in our story, are responsible for the death of the whole of the Green Martians.”

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've been watching too much Agents of SHIELD. There's a blond woman flipping around beating up soldiers and I was instinctively rooting for her and wondering who this new character was, until she breathed death gas (bees?) and I realized she was a bad guy.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

buddhanc posted:

Also the lead actress is amazing

Ftfy.

Said it before, saying it again, Benoist sells the gently caress out of all her scenes which kept me watching after Red Styrofoam and I'm very glad because the last two episodes have been excellent. Imagine a weaker lead who didn't commit to both the camp and the serious stuff? Worst superhero show. Yes she's pretty but so is everyone on the show basically.

Been liking Flockhart from the start and it's great they had her figure it out instead of having some overdramatic scene where Supergirl has to reveal herself to save a life. Harewood just casually dropping that he can read minds was terrific too.

Still don't like Winn though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ded posted:

This just in : glasses are not actually a good disguise.

What if they are hypnotic glasses? Then you just need to worry about nigh invulnerable guys messing things up for you

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Martout posted:

Ftfy.

Said it before, saying it again, Benoist sells the gently caress out of all her scenes which kept me watching after Red Styrofoam and I'm very glad because the last two episodes have been excellent. Imagine a weaker lead who didn't commit to both the camp and the serious stuff? Worst superhero show. Yes she's pretty but so is everyone on the show basically.

Been liking Flockhart from the start and it's great they had her figure it out instead of having some overdramatic scene where Supergirl has to reveal herself to save a life. Harewood just casually dropping that he can read minds was terrific too.

Well yeah, she's amazing and the best part of the show. But she's also perfect in just about every other way

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Anyone have a high res image of the photo James took of Supergirl getting the robber to hand over his gun?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Martout posted:

Ftfy.

Flockhart and Harewood I think took some time for the writers to figure out how to use them best. They were a touch too abrasive in the pilot, but the series proper has been much better at giving them room to show more shades. Flockhart's performance in that balcony scene was great. Still with that aloofness/arrogance that Cat always has, but also persistent, pressing, but not aggressive or threatening. Less "Fess up or else!" and more "I know, and it's OK to admit it".

Harewood was also pretty great in that little bit about the psychic powers. Just the right level of casualness with a tad of relief that he can actually talk about this with someone not wearing a cape finally.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Azhais posted:

What if they are hypnotic glasses? Then you just need to worry about nigh invulnerable guys messing things up for you

Dammit Batman now everyone will know Captain Sternn was hiding as Clark Kent

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gaz-L posted:

Flockhart and Harewood I think took some time for the writers to figure out how to use them best. They were a touch too abrasive in the pilot, but the series proper has been much better at giving them room to show more shades. Flockhart's performance in that balcony scene was great. Still with that aloofness/arrogance that Cat always has, but also persistent, pressing, but not aggressive or threatening. Less "Fess up or else!" and more "I know, and it's OK to admit it".

I think Cat's character hasn't gotten the recognition she deserves (:haw:) for warming up as a character on her own. She originally started as a scene-chewing antagonist but has slowly revealed why she's hardassed and come to realize/be reminded of the effect it has on people around her. It's not a coincidence her turning point as a character was her shocked "I didn't know you lost your parents" when she realizes she doesn't know poo poo about the woman who basically does everything for her.

Finding out Kara is Supergirl is kind of the payoff for that curve; she learns the "little guys" are sometimes the real major players.

Gaz-L posted:

Harewood was also pretty great in that little bit about the psychic powers. Just the right level of casualness with a tad of relief that he can actually talk about this with someone not wearing a cape finally.

Missed in all that (and even better) was him casually dropping hanging out with Supes. "Oh, yeah, it doesn't work on Kryptonians. Superman never lets me hear the end of it. :smug:"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

I think Cat's character hasn't gotten the recognition she deserves (:haw:) for warming up as a character on her own. She originally started as a scene-chewing antagonist but has slowly revealed why she's hardassed and come to realize/be reminded of the effect it has on people around her. It's not a coincidence her turning point as a character was her shocked "I didn't know you lost your parents" when she realizes she doesn't know poo poo about the woman who basically does everything for her.

Finding out Kara is Supergirl is kind of the payoff for that curve; she learns the "little guys" are sometimes the real major players.

I hope the back half of the season involves her learning about the hobbit with more cardigans than Kara Winn

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

greatn posted:

And for some reason Supergirl doesn't call for backup the goddamned second she discovers there are multiple, evil Kryptonians in her city. That's like a solo, rookie beat cop who has been on the job, what, three weeks, walking the streets and discovering three or four armed felons with kevlar vests robbing a bank, and going "Nah, I got this." instead of "SEND BACKUP."

Obviously the answer is "because TV" but if your plot requires your characters to be incredibly stupid maybe consider writing a scenario that doesn't require that instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope the back half of the season involves her learning about the hobbit with more cardigans than Kara Winn

She did call him handsome, which means we're in for some reeeaaaaaly stupid Cat/Winn romance B-plot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

She's already been taking a "woman in a man's world" mentor role without knowing Kara's identity, so I'm guessing that goes up a notch or two along with some "I'm as responsible for how the world sees you as you are" arrogance. They could do some interesting things with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BrianWilly posted:

I think that Astra does still care for Kara and wants her to understand the truth of things, so that factored into the "get captured" plan.
Yeah, I assume it was pretty much entirely to get Kara to calm down and listen to her for a minute, because their encounters so far have gone: "Let's talk, I want to explain what I'm doing and why and I think you'll agre- oh come on, will you just stop punching me for one loving second?" Honestly, she's kind of coming across as a misunderstood anti-hero more than a villain.

Chokes McGee posted:

I think Cat's character hasn't gotten the recognition she deserves (:haw:) for warming up as a character on her own.
Yeah, I thought she was terrible in the first episode, but she's the best character in the show now. And I can't count the number of shows where I've wished someone would just figure out the protagonist's incredibly obvious secret and I'm so glad they actually went with that in this case.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope the back half of the season involves him not being in the show any more because he's irritating.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
I think Winn has all the potential in the world. The actor is doing a fine job, they just need to write him better (and by better I mean less creepy)

Done right, he's just Cisco recast as a romantic lead, with the addition of super-villain daddy issues a la Tommy Merlyn. All things their writers room should know how to do.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I can't believe it took me until this episode to realize the Cat stuff is this show's Arrow Island Flashbacks - that whatever happens there is directly pertinent to the A plot of the episode.

I was hoping Cat already knew from their first meeting but her just piecing it together is almost as good. This show is firing on all cylinders and Benoist sells the poo poo out of all that pathos.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like that Cat figured her out with her intuition and logic, sort bucking of a comic trend there.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I assume it was pretty much entirely to get Kara to calm down and listen to her for a minute, because their encounters so far have gone: "Let's talk, I want to explain what I'm doing and why and I think you'll agre- oh come on, will you just stop punching me for one loving second?" Honestly, she's kind of coming across as a misunderstood anti-hero more than a villain.

Sure, as long as you're Kryptonian. Otherwise uh she's less sympathetic.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Martout posted:

Said it before, saying it again, Benoist sells the gently caress out of all her scenes

She does an amazing rageface. Her instinctively trying to eyebeam the holo-Mom was a hella emotional scene.

I also realized last night that the show managed to make Hank Henshaw Martian Manhunter, yet still leave the possibility of walking it back and having actual Henshaw/Cyborg Superman on the show. Just because Dean Cain died on that mission doesn't mean that they can decide Henshaw survived, but needed a bunch of cyber grafts and crap to live. And if he was so fanatic about hunting down aliens, they can spin that into crazy rage-obsession with Supes I bet.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Even better, Dean Cain returns as crazy Cyborg Henshaw.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Senerio posted:

Oh my God this is amazing. All they'd need is some prosthetics and a smudge of CGI and ta da, Superman only metal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senerio posted:

Half Dean Cain, half Hank Henshaw.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

Half Dean Cain, half Hank Henshaw.

Composite Superman/Superman

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Wonder how long till Bizzaro Supergirl shows up and makes out with both Winn and Olson so everyone can shut up about romance crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
This just proves that superheros are bad for property values.

"Suffer not the alien to live!" :vomarine:

• Locked thread