Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
But if it isn't poison how come I feel like garbage after I eat a whole family size bag of Doritos idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Secret Spoon posted:

Worst restaurant allergy encountered: Garlic.I need to know if any of you have encountered similar.

This one is almost inevitably fake as well... had a guest the other night claim she would "vomit for days" if she ate any garlic, but when we told her that the deviled egg filling had housemade aioli with garlic in it she decided that was fine, because she was drinking whiskey and that would counteract the garlic.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Garlic allergy exists. But its a skin contact allergy, and ingesting it has no affect on those with the skin allergy.

Inhaling garlic powder or oil could cause a pretty bad reaction though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Secret Spoon posted:

Worst restaurant allergy encountered: Garlic.I need to know if any of you have encountered similar.

Fresh (but not canned) pineapple.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Mezzanon posted:

Fresh (but not canned) pineapple.

This is a surprisingly very common skin contact allergy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I read a thread where the OP's husband claimed an allergy to all fresh fruits and vegetables to justify only eating out and not cooking at home

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I am legitimately allergic to fresh pineapple. Makes my tongue and throat swell.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Secret Spoon posted:

That would be because MSG being bad for you is a myth.

Its bad for my rear end I know that. I know that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

This is a surprisingly very common skin contact allergy.

What does the canning do?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I am legitimately allergic to fresh pineapple. Makes my tongue and throat swell.

I think that's just the double-whammy of acid and enzymes that effects anyone who eats too much fresh cut pineapple. Bromelain, extracted from pineapple stems primarily but also found in the flesh, is sold as meat tenderizer.

Mezzanon posted:

What does the canning do?

Destroys the enzymes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Man and his dog posted:

Its bad for my rear end I know that. I know that.

That's probably poor ingredients more than MSG.

Also tipping sucks. Just increase the food prices the right amount and pay everyone a living wage.

Of course now that I no longer own a restaurant and make good money in IT again I have no skin in the game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Guys, help me out here. I found two industry bars in my town. One has $5 pints of craft beer everyday. The has triples for $10 Tuesday Wednesday Thursday. Where shall I go?

(Also because of a lovely rear end sketch roomir, I may be back in the fold. He informed me Saturday he didn't have rent. Moved out Sunday.... so now I'm hosed st end of month. Figure he was a dishwasher/prep cook)

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Have you told them? Just because they don't make the connection between the delicious sandwich they ate and the hour they spent on the toilet that night doesn't mean they shouldn't be reasonably informed. Y'know, not that garlic/onion allergies aren't just people for the most part not liking them. Just sayin'

He claims to never have an adverse reaction after we take care of him so

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Republicans posted:

I think that's just the double-whammy of acid and enzymes that effects anyone who eats too much fresh cut pineapple. Bromelain, extracted from pineapple stems primarily but also found in the flesh, is sold as meat tenderizer.

Destroys the enzymes.

Nah, swelling happens if I eat just a tiny piece. I have the skin contact irritation too.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Nah, swelling happens if I eat just a tiny piece. I have the skin contact irritation too.

Well that sucks because fresh pineapple is sooooooo good. Best part of cutting fruit trays for banquets.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Pineapple: the fruit that digests you back.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
What are the best non-slip shoes? I have FILAs but if I'm going to be doing this poo poo 6 days a week I want the best so my toes don't fall off or something.

Also, we cleared $3,000 before 7pm on $0.89 taco day. :getin:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pile of brown posted:

This one is almost inevitably fake as well... had a guest the other night claim she would "vomit for days" if she ate any garlic, but when we told her that the deviled egg filling had housemade aioli with garlic in it she decided that was fine, because she was drinking whiskey and that would counteract the garlic.

Oh no she very clearly had a garlic allergy. She hit all the hallmarks of someone who was afraid of it. I was scared for her. I wanted to get down to eye level and whisper "run, you fool".

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

Well that sucks because fresh pineapple is sooooooo good. Best part of cutting fruit trays for banquets.

Small sad related story. We had a catering thing today at the hospital for an unknown number. So there was a tray of danishes, fresh cut fruit, etc. Turns out only two people showed up for it. So...90% of it went to waste. I snagged a few pieces of the pineapple. But man, it sucks all that work went for nothing really.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Manuel Calavera posted:

Small sad related story. We had a catering thing today at the hospital for an unknown number. So there was a tray of danishes, fresh cut fruit, etc. Turns out only two people showed up for it. So...90% of it went to waste. I snagged a few pieces of the pineapple. But man, it sucks all that work went for nothing really.

I hope someone ended up eating it because I absolutely cannot stand throwing perfectly good food away. Luckily my employer is real nice about letting us take leftovers and whatever we don't want we usually end up feeding to bar customers at our three locations one way or another. Just last week I took home over 2lbs of smoked beef and a half hotel pan of blackberry cobbler.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Silver Nitrate posted:

What are the best non-slip shoes? I have FILAs but if I'm going to be doing this poo poo 6 days a week I want the best so my toes don't fall off or something.

I like both berkinstocks and crocs.

Crocs plus insoles are great for that feeling like wearing slippers. Crocs are good if you walk a whole lot. Crocs are bad because Foot Sweat is an element unto itself which you will realize when The Rashes start. Your feet will develop a tolerance, in due time. They have a very short shelf life though, I walked my last late pair into paper thinnness after four months. I bought another after a while because the price was right considering the life they gave me, but buyer beware.

Berkies and their concordant insoles are like a trustfall for your feet that just keeps going. Berkies (especially with the cork insole) are great for standing a whole lot. However! The Berkie Callous (on the top of your foot) is a real thing that will hurt like a motherfucker until it conditions itself after the second week or so. Breaking in a pair of berkies is a mutual proposition.

Between the two, birkenstocks have the better tread to them. I like the alpros! The tops of my feet do not like the alpros, but gently caress 'em!

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I stick to a pair of red wings. I have the ankle high motorcycle boots in non slip soles and I love them. At the end of a 9 hour day you're gonna love taking them off, but while you're working your feet will love you.

Plus I feel badass walking on hollow hard wood floors.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I went through 2 pairs of Red Wings in a year, split the bottom of the shoe just from walking around. Now I just buy a new pair of Crocs every year. 30bux, and they're vented on the side.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Dansko XP pros are my shoe of preference, although I'm thinking about some Birkies...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Republicans posted:

I hope someone ended up eating it because I absolutely cannot stand throwing perfectly good food away. Luckily my employer is real nice about letting us take leftovers and whatever we don't want we usually end up feeding to bar customers at our three locations one way or another. Just last week I took home over 2lbs of smoked beef and a half hotel pan of blackberry cobbler.

Some of it, yeah. I had leftover herb & ricotta crepes from my special for the day that I ended up taking home. Didn't want em to go to waste.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Secret Spoon posted:

I'm not sure if this counts as "allergy", but we had a woman two days ago that came in and immediately started thrashing the servers. Could not use a plastic glass for her drink, could not eat gluten (would not say celiac), and was going to order our ribs — but decided not to after finding out that there is garlic in the seasoning mix we have on our product. Also demanded no butter. Opted for a plain lead salad with tomatoes and cucumbers with just olive oil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
God, this week has been insane. Monday was a mad house. I work 1030-4 but I can usually come in late because it's rare to get a rush before noon. I text the other server at 10 and instead of the usual "11 would be fine" I get "need you ASAP."

A busy Monday is 1200 in sales for me, at 1600 I'm probably getting my rear end kicked. I ended up selling 2100.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Skwirl posted:

God, this week has been insane. Monday was a mad house. I work 1030-4 but I can usually come in late because it's rare to get a rush before noon. I text the other server at 10 and instead of the usual "11 would be fine" I get "need you ASAP."

A busy Monday is 1200 in sales for me, at 1600 I'm probably getting my rear end kicked. I ended up selling 2100.

Jesus. Yeah I've been getting my rear end kicked all week. Christmas week is just nuts.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

virinvictus posted:

I'm not sure if this counts as "allergy", but we had a woman two days ago that came in and immediately started thrashing the servers. Could not use a plastic glass for her drink, could not eat gluten (would not say celiac), and was going to order our ribs — but decided not to after finding out that there is garlic in the seasoning mix we have on our product. Also demanded no butter. Opted for a plain lead salad with tomatoes and cucumbers with just olive oil.

Found your problem, your customer was an alien

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I assumed that meant the customer had to be held at gunpoint to shut up and pick something.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I agreed to work 4-8 tomorrow. It better be busy.

Usually we close at 4 on Christmas Eve. New owner wants it to be 8. We usually close at 9.

Lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I agreed to work 4-8 tomorrow. It better be busy.

Usually we close at 4 on Christmas Eve. New owner wants it to be 8. We usually close at 9.

Lol

LOL :frogdowns:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My whole point was like why are we even closing an hour earlier?!?

Is that suppose to make us feel better? I mean poo poo just be open for the whole day.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My whole point was like why are we even closing an hour earlier?!?

Is that suppose to make us feel better? I mean poo poo just be open for the whole day.

Then why didn't you put that in your first post? It's a reasonable assertion.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what "Lol" means. In that case, my apologies.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
With the Crocs I would worry about fryer oil/boiling nacho cheese somehow getting in. I'll try some Red Wings out, everyone I know in construction swears by them. I didn't realize they did non-slip. Thanks!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have an iodine sensitivity (tested for and proved by mayo clinic on the guvment dime!) So I flush on my neck and face when I eat shellfish. GUESS WHAT MY FAVORITE THINGS ARE. I've scared the poo poo out of some servers with it too. But it's only a skin reaction, and I will be damned if I stop eating all these delicious sea creatures. But your concern is appreciated!

If I do die of an allergic reaction from seafood, know I die happy.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have an iodine sensitivity (tested for and proved by mayo clinic on the guvment dime!) So I flush on my neck and face when I eat shellfish. GUESS WHAT MY FAVORITE THINGS ARE. I've scared the poo poo out of some servers with it too. But it's only a skin reaction, and I will be damned if I stop eating all these delicious sea creatures. But your concern is appreciated!

If I do die of an allergic reaction from seafood, know I die happy.
Holy poo poo, is this you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzkCzwJEpOY

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:lol:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Silver Nitrate posted:

With the Crocs I would worry about fryer oil/boiling nacho cheese somehow getting in. I'll try some Red Wings out, everyone I know in construction swears by them. I didn't realize they did non-slip. Thanks!

There's a gigantic quality difference between the Minnesota made Red Wings and the Chinese made Red Wings. Avoid the Chinese ones, as they have inferior construction and materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's a gigantic quality difference between the Minnesota made Red Wings and the Chinese made Red Wings. Avoid the Chinese ones, as they have inferior construction and materials.

I really hope they don't sell Chinese made ones here, in Minnesota. >.<

• Locked thread