Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another good podcast game I'd like to recommend is Car Mechanic Simulator 2015. It's not a game with a huge amount of depth, it's more of a chill out, zen kind of thing. You get increasingly complicated work orders and have to pull apart people's cars to replace or repair broken parts. At first you'll just be tasked with swapping out brake pads or fixing basic bits of suspension, and eventually you start getting fun orders like "Engine makes a weird noise :downs:" and it's up to you to run some diagnostic tests and tear apart the engine to get it working again.

There's a simple progression curve where you earn XP to unlock quality of life upgrades, diagnostic tools, or even pretty up your repair bay. And along the way you build up a nice stack of money to spend towards shop expansions like a test track, a painting room, and in the "endgame" of sorts, you can start buying junkers at auction and work on restoring them either for the gratification or to flip 'em for more money.

With a tiny bit of creativity, you can even defraud your customers if you feel like it. Also, the soundtrack is surprisingly good, if limited. There's a demo, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for quick responses re: Shadowrun and RE. I think I'll try Daggerfall at least, looks like both it and Returns are $3 right now, hard to argue. I looked a little at RE6 and it appears to be QTE the game, I'll hold off and think about buying 4. It's alright on pc then? I feel like I remember hearing bad things about the port.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sivek posted:

Grandia II
Valkyria Chronicles
maybe the Half-Minute Hero games but they're not really traditional jrpg playstyle
Ys games are good but they're action games if that matters
Tales of Zestiria is the only Tales game on steam at this point and you're best off waiting for the price to come down unless you really want to play it now.
and if you're willing to play basically a re-packaged rom, the sega classics pack has some good old stuff like Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force 2 that you can either get as a collection or piecemeal.

Awesome thanks for the info. Already have Valkyria Chronicles and Last Remnant so Ill take a look at Grandia. Also totally forgot about those Sega classics.

All this Shadowrun talk is enough to get me to give them a shot too.

At least there isnt much else on my radar to buy this sale. :shepspends:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 24, 2015

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Bioshock Infinite DLC is bad because the story is a loving trainwreck that attempts to go "uh yeah we didnt meant what we wrote. or something"

exploring pre-disaster Rapture and Paris is cool though

Yeah I thought that part 1 of the underwater DLC was pretty cool, and the beginning of part 2 was neat too, but ugh the story is just awful by the end of that last part.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Furnaceface posted:

Awesome thanks for the info. Already have Valkyria Chronicles and Last Remnant so Ill take a look at Grandia. Also totally forgot about those Sega classics.

All this Shadowrun talk is enough to get me to give them a shot too.

At least there isnt much else on my radar to buy this sale. :shepspends:

The Shadowrun games are great. I even liked Returns, although it was a pretty short adventure and Dragonfall is way better.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

way to go steve posted:

I looked a little at RE6 and it appears to be QTE the game, I'll hold off and think about buying 4. It's alright on pc then? I feel like I remember hearing bad things about the port.

6 does have a lot of QTEs, but the action is quite good - the counter prompts do show up on the screen, but you really just time them out reliably, waiting for the prompts will make you fail them. The dive, slide, and dodging system also flows really well and has no prompts at all.

When people talk about the bad RE4 port, they're talking about the original port, not the HD port. The original port was a god-drat disaster, the HD port is completely fine.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

STASIS is $5 on GMG after you stack the 20% voucher. It's $15 on Steam.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The negative reviews indicate bad puzzles and a middling story, which makes it sound like Broken Age part 2. I remember the KS trailer/demo looking very slick, is the game good?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Is Stasis better or worse than my nostalgia of Sanitarium?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

way to go steve posted:

So what's the deal with the shadowrun games? I haven't really paid attention for a few years, but I liked xcom and classic fallouts, and they seem cheap enough to try. I'm having a hard time figuring out which are games and which are dlcs. Or would it be better to get Enemy Within, even though I played Unknown to death back when it came out?

Enemy Within is definitely worth it. It adds mech suits and the ability to genetically modify your troops into super soldiers. Being able to rocket punch a sectoid through a wall is worth whatever they're asking.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sivek posted:

here's a lot of words since I played through it a couple of months ago. I'm going to say a bunch of negative poo poo but I will say I don't recall having any crashes in the 40 hours or so I played, so it does work, it just has a number of low-effort issues.

A bunch of characters now have constantly gaping faces on their model for some reason. It looks bizarre at times but you can mod it out rather easily. Also may want to use a mod that replaces all the "use cancel/action/etc button" in minigame x to show the appropriate controller prompt.

There's an easy-to-use trainer called ochu or something that lets you do a ton of quality of life stuff like save/change party members anywhere and most importantly, you can set run as the default movement instead of having to hold down a button to run. That kind of poo poo drives me crazy since you're going to spend 99% of the game running around, so at least give me the option to change it.

If you're using a controller, even an xbox one that just works with everything, you'll need to use some third-party software for it to recognize the d-pad and some of the shoulder buttons. You might not think this is a big deal but I found the cursor to extremely prone to random bouts of scrolling at high speed. Apparently this is a legacy problem from the original pc port where the game thinks other poo poo plugged into your usb ports are controllers and will go apeshit until I unpluggded/plugged back in.

Also, the game always open to a screen when it asks you hit x on your keyboard to continue so you'll want to use that 3rd-party controller program to assign x to one of the controller buttons unless you want to tap your keyboard every time you start the game; kind of a pain if you're playing on a couch or whatever.

Do you have to use a controller to play or is it doable with mouse/keyboard? I don't have a controller.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I was thinking of grabbing Freedom Force but it looks like it has issues with modern computers. Does anyone have experience trying it with Windows 10?

Also, I'm planning to head out of town for a few days and will just have my laptop with me. Is Undertale easily playable with a touchpad?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Mr. Xander77 gifted me a copy of Out There Somewhere. It looks like this.

There actually is some intelligent and friendly lifeforms to interact with, and one is a tree-man who gives you an unsatisfying compliment, which you get an achievement for receiving.
You play as that captain guy, your ship gets messed up and you explore the planet to try and fix it. The first thing you do in the game is a shmup section that lasts a couple minutes and after that it's platforming around with your portal gun. The game introduces puzzle mechanics at a nice pace and after about 40 minutes of playing I'm blasting monsters and trying to figure out how to traverse rooms like this one:

You've got that blue beam which you can walk through but will stop your portal gun, the rock above it which will break when you jump on it, and the green beam which will carry your portal blast to it's terminus, which is how my dude is falling from the top of it there. Look at that blobby fucker at the top. I got a separate little gun that can kill him in four hits, or I can just jump over him. He patrols back and forth and doesn't care about me, but I also encountered a bat type of enemy that chased me down. There are other enemy and puzzle types. I can imagine the game gets pretty difficult later on. I stopped my session at this screen because I got frustrated, but just by looking at it I can tell what the proper path is. I think there's an achievement for hanging out on a screen being stumped for a long period of time.

It's a good game and I really like the music and mechanics. Not sure if I'll beat it because I don't think I'm very far and I already got frustrated. I'm a bad puzzle platformer, but the game seems like a pretty good one, especially for the 50 cents or whatever they're asking for it. Thanks Xander happy birthday. :)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone else get really annoyed when they see the smug bearded douche with the raised eyebrow, in the hurtworld game pic?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm floored every inch of Dawn of War II is only twenty dollars. That's just...that's ridiculous. That's such an absurdly good deal. Probably won't have enough for it after presents for others and everything else I want, but maybe next year.

Zeeman posted:

I was thinking of grabbing Freedom Force but it looks like it has issues with modern computers. Does anyone have experience trying it with Windows 10?

I played the demo on Windows 10 and it worked fine. Scratch that, I was thinking of Freedom Planet.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 24, 2015

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Jibo posted:

I ask this every sale so I'm asking it this time. What sale games are good for zoning out and playing while listening to podcasts?

I'm always on the lookout for this as well, the only thing I found that works are MMOs. Guild Wars 2 doesn't require a monthly a fee, and there's lots to do while listening to things.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

redreader posted:

Does anyone else get really annoyed when they see the smug bearded douche with the raised eyebrow, in the hurtworld game pic?

I know what you're talking about. the game trailer and game itself also look annoying.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Khanstant posted:

I know what you're talking about. the game trailer and game itself also look annoying.

It's basically just cel shaded Rust, right? I was thinking about getting it for a friend but it's still relatively expensive.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Possible trimming needed:

I also thought about Mad Max but it sounds grindy, and Hard West but it sounds like a disappointment.

Any thoughts on Technobabylon or The Silent Age?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WickedHate posted:

It's basically just cel shaded Rust, right? I was thinking about getting it for a friend but it's still relatively expensive.

That's what it looks like. I'm not categorically against that type of game, but most of them look like early access clusterfucks made by amateurs with a really specific way they want things, basically tweaking some other game they played, with no real advancement on design or technology.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Khanstant posted:

That's what it looks like. I'm not categorically against that type of game, but most of them look like early access clusterfucks made by amateurs with a really specific way they want things, basically tweaking some other game they played, with no real advancement on design or technology.

Yeah, I hadn't considered it might be a situation like all those Minecraft rip offs.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Do you have to use a controller to play or is it doable with mouse/keyboard? I don't have a controller.

iirc, it doesn't have mouse support, but all the keyboard controls are re-mappable, so you should be good. I think everything is defaulted to the number pad.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 24, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

way to go steve posted:

Thanks for quick responses re: Shadowrun and RE. I think I'll try Daggerfall at least, looks like both it and Returns are $3 right now, hard to argue. I looked a little at RE6 and it appears to be QTE the game, I'll hold off and think about buying 4. It's alright on pc then? I feel like I remember hearing bad things about the port.

With all the Shadowrun talk maybe you people can clarify things. Is Shadowrun:Boston made by the same people as Daggerfall and Hong Kong? What versions should you buy?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

With all the Shadowrun talk maybe you people can clarify things. Is Shadowrun:Boston made by the same people as Daggerfall and Hong Kong? What versions should you buy?

Boston Lockdown is made by a completely different developer. And the game is some sort of stunted MMO/multiplayer game that really doesn't capture much of shadowrun, mainly because it's poorly put together.

It's really shallow and utterly forgettable. I'd imagine it's somewhat akin to the difference between Sleepy Dogs and its sorta sequel Triad Wars, in that one is definitely better than the other.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Right now I'm looking at picking up Cities: Skylines but I'm also thinking I might want a game more in the vein of Stronghold and the Impressions City Builder games that are more in the "base builder" style than a city sim. Stonehearth, Clockwork Empires and Offworld Trading Company all look interesting, but are in early access. Any suggestions for stuff that would be worthwhile?

Edit:
Should note that I've already got Banished, didn't like it all that much because you'd eventually hit a point where there was nothing much to do anymore, which is a shame because I was really stoked for it during development.

C.M. Kruger fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 24, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What games would you guys recommend I buy for this sale?

I generally like RPG's(except rogue-likes), Strategy, and some FPS and Space Games. Recent examples of games I played and enjoyed

-Dark Souls II
-Civ V
-Divinity Original Sin
-PoE
-Might & Magic X: Legacy
-Warlock: Master of the Arcane
-King's Bounty Series
-X-COM

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Try the Baldur's Gates. They're like PoE before PoE.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

-Blackadder- posted:

I generally like RPG's(except rogue-likes), Strategy, and some FPS and Space Games. Recent examples of games I played and enjoyed

-Dark Souls II
-Civ V
-Divinity Original Sin
-PoE
-King's Bounty Series
-X-COM

check these out:

Smooth Operators - $0.98 (-67%) - sim game about running a call center presented in a Simtower style.
Paper Sorcerer - $0.99 (-80%) - old school western-style RPG
UFO: Aftermath - $0.99 (-75%) - the early-2000's version of XCOM
UFO: Aftershock - $0.99 (-75%) - Sequel to Aftermath, with enough differences in both the combat and global layers to not just be "more of the same", but still an XCOM style game
UFO: Afterlight - $1.39 (-80%) - the final game of the UFO:After* trilogy, set on mars.
Realms of the Haunting - $0.99 (-90%) - proper old-school FPS gothic-horror game. I still have the original 4-CD set of this.
Eador: Genesis - $1.19 (-80%) - strategy game along the line of the old HoMM games, with a looooong main campaign
System Shock 2 - $1.99 (-80%) - a classic sci-fi horror game. Go play this, or are you just a pathetic creature of meat and bone?
Reus - $1.99 (-80%) - god-sim where you control elemental titans to guide civilizations
Bionic Dues - $1.99 (-80%) - tactical squad-based roguelike
CAPSULE - $1.99 (-60%) - retro-computing-aesthetic floating-in-a-tin-can simulator

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

-Dark Souls II
-Civ V
-Divinity Original Sin
-PoE
-King's Bounty Series
-X-COM

If you've not played Wolfenstein New Order it's something you should rectify posthaste. Great writing, good shootmans.
Consortium.
Witcher 3.
Alpha Protocol.
Expeditions: Conquistador is a really good game that seems to fly under many people's radars.
Space Rangers 2. :unsmigghh:
Dawn of War 2 is legit kickin' rad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Apotheon is really fun and cool.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone have thoughts about Rebuild 3? http://store.steampowered.com/app/257170/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

I like dwarf fortress, gnomoria, this war of mine, and other games that let me build up a city. Is this a good city builder type game?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Thining about picking up Dying Light. Is there much interest in a 4-pack? (I'd be getting 2 copies myself).

Also is the Bozark Horde DLC any good? Does the Ultimate Survivor Bundle thing break the game?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My review of Witcher 1.
I am currently playing it on normal, am 30 hours in and at the beginning of chapter 5 of 5.
I am also reading the books at the same time.
I have never played 2 or 3.

Story: the story is good if a bit patchy. It sometimes jumps to conclusions and leaves you a tad confused.
However, if you know the books a lot of familiar characters show up and due to Geralt having Amnesia will recap how he met the originally. So if you don't know the books you still get some background and don't miss out.

Controls: at the beginning you can choose either mouse or mouse+kb control. I chose the latter as it was described as giving more overview.
It means you run with WASD and use the mouse to turn the camera and fight. Takes a bit of learning and is a bit choppy at times but works well once you get used to it.

Combat:

how me a frog posted:

Witcher 1 is unplayable poo poo unless you enjoy combat that is the equivalent of solving a rubicks cube.
This is patently false. Combat is really easy to understand. A little too easy actually.
1. You have 2 types of swords: steel and silver.
Fight a human? Use steel.
Fight an monster? Use silver
2. Each sword has 3 fighting styles: strong, fast and group.
Fight a strong opponent? Use strong
Fight a fast opponent? Use fast
Fight 2/3 or more? Use group.
You pick the sword by pressing Q or E and switch styles with x,c,and v.

Other than that you literally just click on the enemy. Gerald auto attacks. At some point your sword icon displays a flaming sword. Click on the enemy again exactly them to get a combo rolling. The higher you levelled your combat skills the more combos you get.
Miss this icon and you start your combo from 0.

You also have a dagger and extra sword slot which I never used, except to carry for sale items.

Tl;dr: This game is aged but not horrible. Controls are unusual but easy to get used to. Graphics on high are still OK and there is a third-party HD mod if you want to bother (I didn't).
I'd say it is worth 5 bucks (on top of Witcher 3. And you get Witcher 2 for essentially for free.)

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

monster on a stick posted:

Possible trimming needed:

I also thought about Mad Max but it sounds grindy, and Hard West but it sounds like a disappointment.

Any thoughts on Technobabylon or The Silent Age?

I really enjoyed Technobabylon and I generally -hate- point and click adventure games. I also gifted it to a bunch of people who all loved it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hopper posted:

My review of Witcher 1.
I am currently playing it on normal, am 30 hours in and at the beginning of chapter 5 of 5.

Story: the story is good if a bit patchy. It sometimes jumps to conclusions and leaves you a tad confused.
However, if you know the books a lot of familiar characters show up and due to Geralt having Amnesia will recap how he met the originally. So if you don't know the books you still get some background and don't miss out.

Controls: at the beginning you can choose either mouse or mouse+kb control. I chose the latter as it was described as giving more overview.
It means you run with WASD and use the mouse to turn the camera and fight. Takes a bit of learning and is a bit choppy at times but works well once you get used to it.

Combat:

This is patently false. Combat is really easy to understand. A little too easy actually.
1. You have 2 types of swords: steel and silver.
Fight a human? Use steel.
Fight an monster? Use silver
2. Each sword has 3 fighting styles: strong, fast and group.
Fight a strong opponent? Use strong
Fight a fast opponent? Use fast
Fight 2/3 or more? Use group.
You pick the sword by pressing Q or E and switch styles with x,c,and v.

Other than that you literally just click on the enemy. Gerald auto attacks. At some point your sword icon displays a flaming sword. Click on the enemy again exactly them to get a combo rolling. The higher you levelled your combat skills the more combos you get.
Miss this icon and you start your combo from 0.

You also have a dagger and extra sword slot which I never used, except to carry for sale items.

Tl;dr: This game is aged but not horrible. Controls are unusual but easy to get used to. Graphics on high are still OK and there is a third-party HD mod if you want to bother (I didn't).
I'd say it is worth 5 bucks (on top of Witcher 3. And you get Witcher 2 for essentially for free.)

They even simplified the poo poo out of it for Witcher 2/3 because so many people were confused by instructions such as "this style is useful when surrounded" and "this style is effective against large or armored enemies" so it was reduced to silver=monsters steel=everything else.

The combat in the Witcher is definitely way less forgiving then any other action RPGs save the Souls series, but on the easiest setting all you need to do is not charge straight at a group of enemies and victory is assured. Anything harder requires you to start understand the magic/trap/potion system but that's so interesting and unique why wouldn't you play around with it?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

LLSix posted:

Anyone have thoughts about Rebuild 3? http://store.steampowered.com/app/257170/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

I like dwarf fortress, gnomoria, this war of mine, and other games that let me build up a city. Is this a good city builder type game?

this is more of a strategy game than a city builder, but you do slowly expand your base camp as you conquer territory.

Have a look at Craft the World or The Spatials

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hopper posted:

My review of Witcher 1.

Holy poo poo. You made it past the swamp.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LLSix posted:

Try Startopia. It's dirt cheap and the best city builder I've ever played. I actually owned a physical copy when I was a kid, played the hell out of it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

jetz0r posted:

Holy poo poo. You made it past the swamp.

The swamp is a tad bland of that is what you mean but at least running back and forth is shorter than navigating the streets in town all the time due to the fact you can just run across the wide open middle.

Still this game was good enough to entertain me for 30 hours and I intend to finish it when I get back home.
Then it is Witcher 2 for me. I just really like he world as it is less the usual elves, dwarf and orks and has more interesting monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Thining about picking up Dying Light. Is there much interest in a 4-pack? (I'd be getting 2 copies myself).

Also is the Bozark Horde DLC any good? Does the Ultimate Survivor Bundle thing break the game?

I can't see it in my region, though I could probably play it. How much is it per person in a 4 pack?

• Locked thread