Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone help me hash out Louis Prima's album discography? I listened to The Wildest recently and really liked it, so I looked up his discography online but, like a lot of artists from that era, he seems to have recorded with a bunch of different credited identities (i.e. as a duo with his wife du jour, with his Las Vegas band, as a soloist) and I'm having trouble straightening them out. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

I've been on a bit of a jazz kick lately. I happened across Allen Toussaint's album The Bright Mississippi and it's amazing. Listening to some James Booker right now thanks to this thread. I'm looking for similar piano-heavy New Orleans-style stuff. Any recommendations?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Clip Death posted:

I've been on a bit of a jazz kick lately. I happened across Allen Toussaint's album The Bright Mississippi and it's amazing. Listening to some James Booker right now thanks to this thread. I'm looking for similar piano-heavy New Orleans-style stuff. Any recommendations?

Jelly Roll Morton.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I just picked up Brad Mehldau's Ten years solo set. I've been a huge fan of his for years. Seen him live three times and grab everything of his I can. This though?

Holy gently caress this is good. :stare:

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I am an idiot and don't know if this is a jazz song. Does anyone know the name of the song playing in the background of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54RYi6gcD-I

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Sounds like some royalty free junk that would come packaged with a second-rate video editing suite!

Anywhoo it's kinda Ska, to my ear

babua
Apr 29, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

I just picked up Brad Mehldau's Ten years solo set. I've been a huge fan of his for years. Seen him live three times and grab everything of his I can. This though?

Holy gently caress this is good. :stare:

You should listen to Mehliana if you hadn't already, it's a different side of Mehldau, and it's *amazing* (assuming you enjoy fusion).

Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnH27mxW0KM

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

babua posted:

You should listen to Mehliana if you hadn't already, it's a different side of Mehldau, and it's *amazing* (assuming you enjoy fusion).

Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnH27mxW0KM

Yeah I have Taming the dragon as well as a bunch of recorded live sets. His work with Chris Thile is also ridiculous.

babua
Apr 29, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

His work with Chris Thile is also ridiculous.

I'm going to check this out, thank you!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

babua posted:

I'm going to check this out, thank you!

Here's a good start. Good luck tracking down recordings of the shows themselves. They're all bootlegs at this point. This is just loving ridiculous though. His improvisation at around 5:30 is probably one of the craziest I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9k7NHX-sU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

On Terra Firma posted:

Here's a good start. Good luck tracking down recordings of the shows themselves. They're all bootlegs at this point. This is just loving ridiculous though. His improvisation at around 5:30 is probably one of the craziest I've ever seen.

Dime a dozen has had a bunch of those shows up there in the past. They're easy tapes to
find.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Dime a dozen has had a bunch of those shows up there in the past. They're easy tapes to
find.

Yeah I've pulled everything off there that I could find. I keep checking back hoping someone will throw up another recording of those two but nothing has come up since last year.

babua
Apr 29, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Started with this the other day, and I'm glad I did :) Thanks again for the heads-up.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I'm enjoying Eric Dolphy's album Out To Lunch right now.

Are there any other classic albums featuring the vibraphone?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

busfahrer posted:

Milt Jackon's output in the late '50s/early '60s counts. The consecutive albums Bean Bags, Bags' Opus and Bags & Trane are probably Bags at his best. Bags' Groove, which is one of his Miles Davis albums, is also up there. His stuff with the Modern Jazz Quartet is something that seems to be a love it or hate it thing for most people.

For something somewhat more recent, the Chick Corea/Gary Burton album Native Sense - The New Duets is aces. Don't know if it counts as `classic' though but whatever.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Sunflowers is another good Milt Jackson record. More fusion-y, but not out there. Freddy Hubbard's on it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett's eponymous album is great too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

busfahrer posted:

I want to recommend Lionel Hampton but I'm primarily familiar with him on a song-by-song basis rather than any of his albums.

Johnny Otis played a lot of vibraphone but he's probably not as well known for his jazz playing - he was one of the late swing era guys who switched to playing R&B in the 1950s. It was good stuff, though.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

busfahrer posted:

Take a look at Bobby Hutcherson's other appearances as leader and sideman in the 60s because most are mega-classic post bop. Andrew Hill, Jackie McLean, Tony Williams, McCoy Tyner, Grant Green, etc all used what was basically the Blue Note out staple lineups he was in. And get the other Dolphy records he's on!

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

busfahrer posted:

Like Funkcroquet said Grant green uses it, specifically on Idle Moments which is my favourite record of his.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Speaking of Grant Green and favorite records of his, I just recently started hearing his stuff and was blown away by Feelin' the Spirit, a series of bluesy jazz interpretations of spirituals (even though I don't really know much/listen to spirituals/gospel/blues). Herbie Hancock also plays on it, if you need further incentive to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVPWY7Kx-M

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Machado de Assis posted:

Speaking of Grant Green and favorite records of his, I just recently started hearing his stuff and was blown away by Feelin' the Spirit, a series of bluesy jazz interpretations of spirituals (even though I don't really know much/listen to spirituals/gospel/blues). Herbie Hancock also plays on it, if you need further incentive to check it out:

This is really good. The groove kind of simmering under everything going on is so nice.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Machado de Assis posted:

This is great, I'm not sure how I haven't come across it before (probably laziness on my part) -- thanks for sharing. Lovin herbie's improv.

Lumius fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 27, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As a Christmas present, my mum got me this Gordon Goodwin songbook with transcriptions of the alto saxophone parts for some of the Big Phat Band pieces. I assume it's her way of implying I need to practice more (which is true). Anyway, I was having a look at them and it's all the swing numbers, and they're all something like 250 bpm which is pretty insane. It's like when I tried some of the Charlie Parker songbook - I just can't fit my fingers around it at all. I'm nowhere near dexterous enough.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Another great album by Grant Green is "His Majesty King Funk!," it even has a groovy version of "That Lucky Old Sun."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoSj2X_JGts

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Just got into an ECM mood the last few days. Oh boy, here goes many many hours of listening to relaxing music

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So the jazz albums I used to own are long gone and I've just recently decided to fill my collection up on iTunes. For now, I'm focusing on hard bop and this is what I've either bought already or have on my wishlist:
  • John Coltrane - Blue Trane, A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, Coltrane Plays The Blues
  • Hank Mobley - Soul Station, Workout
  • Grant Green - Live At The Lighthouse, His Majesty King Funk!
  • Sonny Clark - The Sonny Clark Trio, Cool Struttin'
  • Clifford Brown/Max Roach - Study In Brown
  • Dizzy Gillespie/Sonny Stitt/Sonny Rollins - Sonny Side Up
  • Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder, Cornbread
  • Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie
  • Clifford Jordan - Blowing In From Chicago
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
  • Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack
  • Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
  • Miles Davis - Working With The Miles Davis Quintet, Relaxing With..., Cooking With...
  • Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else, The Cannonball Adderly Quintet In San Francisco
  • Booker Little - Booker Little
  • Wayne Shorter - Juju, Speak No Evil
  • Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement
  • Ray Bryant - The Ray Bryant Trio
  • Barney Kessel - The Poll Winners
  • Horace Silver - Serenade To A Soul Sister
  • McCoy Tyner - Sahara

Are there any other hard bop titles that I could add? (keeping in mind that hard bop can often intermingle with other genres, like modal jazz or even fusion)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You've got a lot of Coltrane on there as is, but I'd put Giant Steps in over Love Supreme for what you're going for.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Seventh Arrow posted:

So the jazz albums I used to own are long gone and I've just recently decided to fill my collection up on iTunes. For now, I'm focusing on hard bop and this is what I've either bought already or have on my wishlist:
  • John Coltrane - Blue Trane, A Love Supreme, My Favorite Things, Coltrane Plays The Blues
  • Hank Mobley - Soul Station, Workout
  • Grant Green - Live At The Lighthouse, His Majesty King Funk!
  • Sonny Clark - The Sonny Clark Trio, Cool Struttin'
  • Clifford Brown/Max Roach - Study In Brown
  • Dizzy Gillespie/Sonny Stitt/Sonny Rollins - Sonny Side Up
  • Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder, Cornbread
  • Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie
  • Clifford Jordan - Blowing In From Chicago
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
  • Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack
  • Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
  • Miles Davis - Working With The Miles Davis Quintet, Relaxing With..., Cooking With...
  • Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else, The Cannonball Adderly Quintet In San Francisco
  • Booker Little - Booker Little
  • Wayne Shorter - Juju, Speak No Evil
  • Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement
  • Ray Bryant - The Ray Bryant Trio
  • Barney Kessel - The Poll Winners
  • Horace Silver - Serenade To A Soul Sister
  • McCoy Tyner - Sahara

Are there any other hard bop titles that I could add? (keeping in mind that hard bop can often intermingle with other genres, like modal jazz or even fusion)
If you're talking specifically about hard bop I'd say Dexter Gordon's Go! and Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus are essentials. I'd also add Miles' Walkin' to your list of Miles albums---I think Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet is the better album, but Walkin' is one of the defining albums of the subgenre. I'd also add Mingus' Ah Um if you think it counts as hard bop or Blues & Roots if you think it doesn't.

I could go on with more suggestions seriously biased toward tenor players if you'd like.

Edit: to remove titles you already listed, because I apparently can't read

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

BigFactory posted:

You've got a lot of Coltrane on there as is, but I'd put Giant Steps in over Love Supreme for what you're going for.

I've already got A Love Supreme, so I might as well add Giant Steps to the list.

SubG posted:

If you're talking specifically about hard bop I'd say Dexter Gordon's Go! and Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus are essentials. I'd also add Miles' Walkin' to your list of Miles albums---I think Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet is the better album, but Walkin' is one of the defining albums of the subgenre. I'd also add Mingus' Ah Um if you think it counts as hard bop or Blues & Roots if you think it doesn't.

I could go on with more suggestions seriously biased toward tenor players if you'd like.

I'm not sure if Ah Um is hard bop or not, but it's one of the first jazz albums I ever bought (along with Kind Of Blue), so it has a lot of sentimental value.

And yes, feel free to suggest more tenor titles!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for solo piano along the lines of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUDVWIVVkQ

I already have just about everything Keith Jarrett and Mehldau have done since they're all that springs to mind.

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for solo piano along the lines of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlUDVWIVVkQ

I already have just about everything Keith Jarrett and Mehldau have done since they're all that springs to mind.

Try McCoy Tyner's albums on Milestones from about 70-80, and in general you can dig through the 70s stuff on the label Strata East (also Black Jazz and Tribe) for this kind of sound, and the contemporaneous discographies of the other record labels for which the performers on Strata East recorded

edit: sorry, didn't notice you only wanted solo piano. This kind of language is more typically found in piano trios or quartets from that time, IME as someone who dug through the typical kozmigroov lists a while back, so you might want to broaden your search a bit, though there are still probably some solo records in those labels' discographies.

funkcroquet fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 2, 2016

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
For the last few months I've been listening to John Coltrane's Africa/Brass and I absolutely adore it; I think what's really noteworthy for Africa is how despite, on paper, it's kind of like regular modal jazz in terms of intro-solo-solo-solo-solo, etc, the ensemble returns to the main theme in between the improvisation passages, and in the case of Greensleeves, does so in a slightly different way each time. What other jazz is kind of like this, where there is improvisation that keenly follows a dynamic backdrop provided by a large ensemble? (Frank Zappa's album Imaginary Diseases has a lot of this, in particular, the song Montreal-- He improvises for 9 minutes but the ensemble behind him lays down different backings that he plays around with).

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I've had the Charlie Parker Omnibook for a while now and it's been quite handy in learning how to play over jazz chord progressions; but now I've found out that there's also a Miles Davis Omnibook, a John Coltrane Omnibook, a Joe Pass Omnibook and now a Cannonball Adderley Omnibook is on its way. I know people say you should transcribe stuff yourself and they're right - I still transcribe stuff that's of interest to me, but there's no way I still have time at my age to transcribe so many solos from these iconic jazzmen. I wonder else would be cool? Maybe a Wes Montgomery Omnibook? Dizzy Gillespie Omnibook?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There's been an advert on TV in the UK that has actually caused me to buy something - Jazz at 33 1/3rpm!

Starts at 4.99GBP for the first issue, 9.99GBP for the second and then 14.99GBP for all subsequent issues.

No idea how long they intend to carry this on for but it seems interesting. The first three issues are "Kind of Blue", "Blue Train" and "Lady in Satin" - I own them all on CD of course, but I have always wanted to have a Jazz collection on vinyl.

DirtyDirt
Apr 27, 2005
Chairman Of The Bored
Feeling Quantic's new album with the Western Transient. Basically he locked himself in a room with a bunch of musicians and a notebook of compilations and this is the output.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQQ0W2LPV68

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Oh man I would love some 33's. I really wish more records were sold as 33's

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dik-dik posted:

Oh man I would love some 33's. I really wish more records were sold as 33's

What are you talking about?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm dumb I meant 45s ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone know a podcast or radio show that's more about young composers/performers, or more on the progressive side of things? I used to listen to ABC Jazz Up Late, but that got cancelled last year.

• Locked thread