Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Hey Ober, I just read your Tupas bit so far, it's v good. Is the second half done yet or what??

That guy's name is Liber Arce btw (which is why it works as a homonym, parents did a good job with that one)
No but I've got a bottle of jagermeister and I'm partly naked, and this usually augurs well for me doing some writing.

And yeah, the thing is riddled with typos and I do mean to go back and correct them but then I'm like...... eh.
I probably would've missed that one as I went through doing corrections though, so thanks!

e: and I got a copy of "The Tupamaros Guerrillas - The Structure and Strategy of the Urban Guerrilla movement" in the mail yesterday and it features a bunch of contemporary interviews with members of the public and imprisoned guerrillas. It's going to be super useful for the next specific bit I want to write so... yaaaay

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If the rumours are right (& the rumours on Jeremy Corbyn don't exactly seem solid, the press's Labour contacts all seem to be Blairites) then it'd be a really stupid move by Corbyn because he doesn't have the PLP support to have an ideologically pure shadow cabinet. You don't want to end up with leftists in every shadow cabinet position & the only leftist backbencher left is Dennis Skinner. That gets ugly quickly.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Also this, if a guy wins the leadership election with 60% of the vote, doesn't that make him by-default the moderate of the party? Because the majority of the party support his position?

And does that not also mean, by definition, that the minority who directly oppose him are the radicals?

The narrative is that the Labour party membership (or the majority of it that support Corbyn) are all loony lefties while the 'moderates' represent the mainstream voter, the mythical Centre Ground'. It always leaves me wondering what exactly the point of party membership is in this scenario? If the PLP 'moderates' don't agree with the membership and don't want to represent their views, in fact actually fight against those views, why should the membership continue to support the Labour Party? It just get handwaved away with the expectation that the membership should shut up and do as they're told without even a fig-leaf attempt at reasoning.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Random Integer posted:

The narrative is that the Labour party membership (or the majority of it that support Corbyn) are all loony lefties while the 'moderates' represent the mainstream voter, the mythical Centre Ground'. It always leaves me wondering what exactly the point of party membership is in this scenario? If the PLP 'moderates' don't agree with the membership and don't want to represent their views, in fact actually fight against those views, why should the membership continue to support the Labour Party? It just get handwaved away with the expectation that the membership should shut up and do as they're told without even a fig-leaf attempt at reasoning.

I've heard exactly this argument from an old guard guy.

The MP won't support the loony leftie actions because he's there to represent the whole electorate not just the party.

Well, yes, but he's also there to represent the party, that's who put him there in the first place, and enough of his constituency voted for him under the Labour flag to give him the seat, so...

If you're concerned about minority rule (and you should be) the answer isn't to make the FPTP leader have insanely contradictory goals, it's to loving reform FPTP.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

No but I've got a bottle of jagermeister and I'm partly naked, and this usually augurs well for me doing some writing.

And yeah, the thing is riddled with typos and I do mean to go back and correct them but then I'm like...... eh.
I probably would've missed that one as I went through doing corrections though, so thanks!

e: and I got a copy of "The Tupamaros Guerrillas - The Structure and Strategy of the Urban Guerrilla movement" in the mail yesterday and it features a bunch of contemporary interviews with members of the public and imprisoned guerrillas. It's going to be super useful for the next specific bit I want to write so... yaaaay

Yeah that's the only reason I mentioned it, I saw it a couple of times and figured you might have misread it or something. How naked are we talking here?

Dan Mitrione popping up again reminds me of classic torture pop songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmRVU-MEXU0

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

I still find it hilarious that Corb and Abbott apparently hosed in the past.
What a disgusting mental image...

Because? I mean this was 30 years ago. Or do you have an objection to miscegenation perhaps?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Seems that it would be in the interest of those in the shadow cabinet (who know that they would have been kicked out ages ago for a fraction of their leaking and disloyalty if they'd been in a previous cabinet) to poison the well for a reshuffle by floating names to their media contacts that they know will cause a premature kickback in the PLP and media. As much as they might hate Corbyn they also won't want to lose their position.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Because? I means this was 30 years ago. Or do you have an objection to miscegenation perhaps?

I dunno, that amount of beard is perhaps difficult for anyone to manage.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Imagine having consensual sex when you were young. Shocking.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Edwina Currie and John Major is disgusting because they were old and evil.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thespaceinvader posted:

I've heard exactly this argument from an old guard guy.

The MP won't support the loony leftie actions because he's there to represent the whole electorate not just the party.

Well, yes, but he's also there to represent the party, that's who put him there in the first place, and enough of his constituency voted for him under the Labour flag to give him the seat, so...

If you're concerned about minority rule (and you should be) the answer isn't to make the FPTP leader have insanely contradictory goals, it's to loving reform FPTP.

I watched Cromwell again today and reached only two conclusions: 1) Alec Guinness is a cool dude and 2) democracy is a foolish ideal for naive idiot babbies and it will never ever work as intended.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

XMNN posted:

Edwina Currie and John Major is disgusting because they were old and evil.

And because they were both the type to talk about how morally superior they were to not having sex outside of marriage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'Sides, Abbott may not be too bright, but she honestly wasn't that bad-looking in the Seventies. Good on Corbyn, I say.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the tories are more disgusted by two consenting adults of difference races having sex than adults raping children.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
at least we know that Corbyn won't be claiming to be a sapiosexual anytime soon

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

And because they were both the type to talk about how morally superior they were to not having sex outside of marriage.

When Major announced the Back to Basics thing, the glee with which the papers opened their safes and went to town was quite a thing to behold.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Welcome to Atlantis (formerly known as Yorkshire). Maybe this is somehow linked to the plans for the Northern Powerhouse?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
They're turning the entire county into a giant mill race, it's clean, renewable and has that 18th century vibe that the Tories love so much.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Welcome to Atlantis (formerly known as Yorkshire). Maybe this is somehow linked to the plans for the Northern Powerhouse?

Maybe they're planning on hydroelectric power or something. Lol. Right. Maybe they're planning on using the water for hydraulic fracking, or something.

(This sucks, and it's happening more and more often in recent years to the surprise of no-one; I don't think we've had a winter go by without unprecedented flooding somewhere in the country. But fortunately COBRA is meeting and the military are filling sandbags :confuoot:)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

LemonDrizzle posted:

I'm all for green energy but I draw the line at inland tidal generators.

If people could stop dying in the Leeds and Liverpool canal though that would be lovely, apparently a body was pulled out yesterday morning from a stretch I often go past. Yay for the heavy rain putting me off going down there at the time of discovery :smith:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

Maybe they're planning on hydroelectric power or something. Lol. Right. Maybe they're planning on using the water for hydraulic fracking, or something.

Serious point, but Hydroelectric power costs a gently caress ton in install costs, and I say this as someone who has land which is capable of having a micro hydropower station on. The screws cost a lot of their own, never mind the infrastructure needed to put them in place and get the electricity off them. If the government was really serious about this country they could pay for every hydro able piece of land to have a turbine on it and give free electricity to the land owner (within limits) and would be a drat sight cheaper than a nuclear power plant and probably produce a significant better Kw per £ yield.

ukle fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 27, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ukle posted:

Serious point, but Hydroelectric power costs a gently caress ton in install costs, and I say this as someone who has land which is capable of having a micro hydropower station on. The screws cost a lot of their own, never mind the infrastructure needed to put them in place and get the electricity off them. If the government was really serious about this country they could pay for every hydro able piece of land to have a turbine on it and give free electricity to the land owner (within limits) and would be a drat sight cheaper than a nuclear power plant and probably produce the power of 10 of them.

Yes, but they're not. If they were serious about renewables they wouldn't be cutting subsidies to renewables and increasing tax breaks for oil companies and you know, fracking.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They're not serious about anything because they love having a laugh. "Oh we'll certainly see if we can do more with flood defences!" *wink to camera*

Cameron's probably getting jealous of all the public militarisation going on in Belgium and saw an opportunity to get are boys in the community

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
meanwhile, elsewhere in the country: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-not-trusted-to-safeguard-national-security-by-71-of-britons-a6787776.html

oh

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

thespaceinvader posted:

COBRA is meeting

Every time this comes up I'm picturing the villains from GI Joe

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Renaissance Robot posted:

Unfortunately our government aren't that principled.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
David Cameron approaches a small boy on the street. Hey kid. Stop with all the downloadin'!

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, but they're not. If they were serious about renewables they wouldn't be cutting subsidies to renewables and increasing tax breaks for oil companies and you know, fracking.

Excuse me but renewables are a mature technology now and quite ready to stand on their own in the free market.

I can't think of a good excuse for raising oil subsidies, so please just pretend that isn't happening.

If there's any kind of bright side to this insanity, it's that when the remake of Final Fantasy 7 is released the plot will still be relevant :gbsmith:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Funny what constant making GBS threads on someone in the media will do, huh?

Terrifying, too.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's a shame that Jeremy is seemingly utterly powerless to influence the way he is perceived by the general public. Oh well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if he scourges all life from the country it will make the nation more secure against outside threats because there won't be anything left to terrorise, and I think that's what people normally think of when it comes to national security.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

It's a shame that Jeremy is seemingly utterly powerless to influence the way he is perceived by the general public. Oh well.

based on the way the last polls turned out it seems he's winning the next election tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

If there's any kind of bright side to this insanity, it's that when the remake of Final Fantasy 7 is released the plot will still be relevant :gbsmith:
David Cameron put his dick in a dead alien's head?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

based on the way the last polls turned out it seems he's winning the next election tbh

The polls that underestimated the Tory vote share?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Polls that expected a close victory in Oldham when it turned out to be somewhat of a landslide

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

What constituency polls of the Oldham byelection?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
a list of loyalists drawn up based on the criterion of having reliable message discipline on Trident seems unlikely to have such unity on EU ref

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Polls that expected a close victory in Oldham when it turned out to be somewhat of a landslide

There was no polling in Oldham prior to the by election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

yes, the polls that were utterly wrong

• Locked thread