Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doc Block posted:

You realize that it's poor people who overwhelmingly get punishment instead of rehabilitation, right?

Yea, I'm aware. What I meant here was philosophically sometimes punitive action may be more effective and to the point, whereas rehabilitation is just kicking the can down the road for certain people who would abuse that privilege. On the other hand maybe someone who is genuinely penitent could be rehabilitated.

Ideally the justice system could perceive these nuances objectively and fairly and obviously in this case they did not. Whether or not affluenza is a useful concept the dude plainly didn't care or take any responsibility whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

TheShazbot posted:

Is there a disease for the poor people who are hosed over by the system who have to resort to petty crime to get by?

Drug and/or alcohol addiction

Not recognized as a legal defense tho which is a drat shame, I'd love to knock me over a liquor store or 2

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

When the target's a ginger scumbag, the snitches get stitches thing is suspended right?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Melmac posted:

literally killed a person and she didn't even get a citation for anything at all

That has me wondering then, why did the US Marshals Service put out a wanted poster for them? I'm glad they did but clearly this is something that happens with somewhat regularity (people fleeing to avoid prison) and there's never this kind of manhunt. Why this time? Just because of the public outrage? If so, it just goes to show you: public outrage works!

A lot of probation departments work with the marshals. My department has officers that are deputized as marshall and handle bench warrants. Usually we don't actually put out wanted posters but the case is so high profile that it was deemed appropriate

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

ProperCoochie posted:

-12 year old black kid playing with a toy gun in a park, shot 1.5 seconds after police arrive. Police not indicted

Well that kid certainly won't make that mistake again. The system works!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

B-Rock452 posted:

A lot of probation departments work with the marshals. My department has officers that are deputized as marshall and handle bench warrants. Usually we don't actually put out wanted posters but the case is so high profile that it was deemed appropriate

Isn't it because the marshals have jurisdiction pretty much everywhere? Gotta be easier than trying to contact a bunch of local PDs.

Also if a bunch of US Marshals are looking for you, you done hosed up.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 29, 2015

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Has anyone mentioned that the entire state of Texas should be immolated? Because if not, I'd like to do so.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

ProperCoochie posted:

It's so poetic and American that this case is running alongside the Tamir Rice verdict.

-Rich white 16 year old criminal drives drunk and kills four people, doesn't go to prison.

-12 year old black kid playing with a toy gun in a park, shot 1.5 seconds after police arrive. Police not indicted

I would say that most right-wingers would want the rich kid to be put to death as well.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

haljordan posted:

Isn't it because the marshals have jurisdiction pretty much everywhere? Gotta be easier than trying to contact a bunch of local PDs.

Also if a bunch of US Marshals are looking for you, you done hosed up.

That is also true although I have never had too much of an issue tracking someone down out of state and have even made arrests in another state although I am not sure how legal it actually is. Probation is weird in that there is a whole ton of gray area with what we do and violation hearings are completely different from most other hearings. We don't need warrants for searches and we can use hearsay for violating an offender

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Oh yeah if you're on probation or parole you're almost always subject to search of your person/property by any law enforcement without any kind of probable cause. There's a million ways to violate someone (hanging out with other felons is always a good one). You definitely lose any benefit of the doubt.

What line of work are you in? Law enforcement?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

So a court rules that an 18 year old can't use alcohol or have fun for ten years? They were setting up Ethan Couch for failure. Ethan represents the sort of youthful rebellion that the state seeks to stamp out. Free him, IMO. Taking away Ethan's chance at a normal life won't restore the lives of the four who died. Is ruining some kid's future what they would have wanted?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

haljordan posted:

Oh yeah if you're on probation or parole you're almost always subject to search of your person/property by any law enforcement without any kind of probable cause. There's a million ways to violate someone (hanging out with other felons is always a good one). You definitely lose any benefit of the doubt.

What line of work are you in? Law enforcement?

I work as a parole officer and previously worked 6 years in juvenile probaton. And oddly enough in my state that isn't exactly true. Cops can't call is with info in order to circumvent needing a warrant but if a random person calls and refuses to leave their name we can search...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

I work as a parole officer and previously worked 6 years in juvenile probaton. And oddly enough in my state that isn't exactly true. Cops can't call is with info in order to circumvent needing a warrant but if a random person calls and refuses to leave their name we can search...

Ah figures it would vary by state. I'm guessing people on parole/probation don't make too much noise though because they know it's relatively simple to send them back to the clink if they really act like a hardon. Is being in a place that serves alcohol enough to violate in your state?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 30, 2015

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

haljordan posted:

Ah figures it would vary by state. I'm guessing people on parole/probation don't make too much noise though because they know it's relatively simple to send them back to the clink if they really act like a hardon. Is being in a place that serves alcohol enough to violate in your state?

Well my state is made even more confusing in that it varies county to county (in some counties you can own firearms for hunting but in mine you can't. ) it isn't again our rules to be around alcohol or drink but that can be specified in a court order

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

So a court rules that an 18 year old can't use alcohol or have fun for ten years? They were setting up Ethan Couch for failure. Ethan represents the sort of youthful rebellion that the state seeks to stamp out. Free him, IMO. Taking away Ethan's chance at a normal life won't restore the lives of the four who died. Is ruining some kid's future what they would have wanted?

nah, i say we guillotine him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

Just let the families of the people he murdered have like, eight minutes alone with him in a locked room. Blunt objects only.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

haljordan posted:

Just let the families of the people he murdered have like, eight minutes alone with him in a locked room. Blunt objects only.

Wow, this kind of attitude is what's wrong with the "justice" system in America.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

Wow, this kind of attitude is what's wrong with the "justice" system in America.

I said "blunt objects only", I'm not Gandhi for gently caress's sake.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Doc Block posted:

Statistically, women get lighter sentences.

Maybe for the same crime, sure, but the prosecutor dropped several felony counts (she stole prescription pads and falsified several dozen prescriptions for a schedule-II controlled substance) in exchange for her agreeing to the treatment in lieu of prosecution deal. Technically going off of the letter of the law every time she filled out a script it should have been a separate felony charge, and every time she had a forged script filled it should have been an additional felony charge. If it wasn't for the fact that they were financially ruined from spending all of their income on drugs for months before being caught I would have suspected the prosecutor was bought off.

If she hadn't been a nurse there's no doubt in my mind she would have received a far harsher punishment (and rightfully so) than her husband.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 30, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TEAYCHES posted:

I agree with trump, we need to start going after the families of criminals

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

TEAYCHES posted:

As opposed to high-powered "justice for hire" lawyers who know the judges and prosecutors and can get you out of felonies for the right price? Lol.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
After OJ Simpson published "If I Did It" the original prosecution team should have been able able to challenge him to a table, ladders, chairs match in the cage at wrestlemania.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
lmao:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
their getaway plan was to go to mexico and live in a hotel and they got caught because they ordered pizza.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

They actually got caught cause they tracked a cellphone they had associated with the kid. Dumb millennial can't even exile without his precious phone lol.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Sancho posted:

They actually got caught cause they tracked a cellphone they had associated with the kid. Dumb millennial can't even exile without his precious phone lol.

You ever see shows where a guy is being chased by police will drive to the Mexican border which instantly makes police give up and turn around? He probably was thinking of that.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

haljordan posted:

The Bible says this is the right thing to do. It's full of a lot of this sort of stuff. Did you know you can also sentence your kids to capital punishment if you can't control them?

RaySmuckles posted:

Don't worry, when the genuinely oppressed poor rise up at the urging of the mildly oppressed middle class, something like this might come around, at least until the new guys take control and become utterly indistinguishable from the old regime.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Minimalist Program posted:

their getaway plan was to go to mexico and live in a hotel and they got caught because they ordered pizza.
Not even a good pizza either.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Will they have to segregate him from the general population ? All this coverage might not make him too popular with the boys.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This kid should rot in jail because no amount of "ugh parents fault he has a poor upbringing yada yada" should excuse the fact he killed 4 people while drink driving and didn't suffer anything for it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

this kid is like the only time i have ever thought the american prison system is fit for purpose

shame he's never going to enter it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
a prosecutor in mexico is claiming they want to give him the full sentence he should've gotten the first time. there in mexico.

lol

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

a prosecutor in mexico is claiming they want to give him the full sentence he should've gotten the first time. there in mexico.

lol

Please let this happen

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I don't have affluenza, no.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Minimalist Program posted:

I read that a marshall tracked them to Mexico by phone records. I wonder if that means this genius took his phone to Mexico with him and the marshall accessed his Google phone location history.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol

I am literally praying to a Dead fakek God that this is true

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sancho posted:

If the had GPS coordinates they should've just done a drone strike imo

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol

Gonna take a lot of bribe money to get him out of Mexico.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

This kid should rot in jail because no amount of "ugh parents fault he has a poor upbringing yada yada" should excuse the fact he killed 4 people while drink driving and didn't suffer anything for it.

drat, get a load of this guy with his opinion, woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol

Did he even break any laws in Mexico? I've never heard of someone fleeing to Mexico and getting jail time there (unless they committed a crime while they were there).

• Locked thread