Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Is poe in rogue squadron ? Geez their standards have really fallen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

Is poe in rogue squadron ? Geez their standards have really fallen

No way, I beat that game he's NOT in it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Poe is a fuckin hack. What does he do that is so good? His first x-wing gets killed by stormtroopers becsuse he parked it like 20 feet away from his secret meeting with rando old dude. Then he steals a tie fighter which gets shot down within a few minutes. He's then shown doing some unimpressive maneuvers and finally flies through a shaft on the starkiller and closes his s-foils to make it through *yawwwwwnnnnn* poe is no mary sue

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

thathonkey posted:

Poe is a fuckin hack. What does he do that is so good? His first x-wing gets killed by stormtroopers becsuse he parked it like 20 feet away from his secret meeting with rando old dude. Then he steals a tie fighter which gets shot down within a few minutes. He's then shown doing some unimpressive maneuvers and finally flies through a shaft on the starkiller and closes his s-foils to make it through *yawwwwwnnnnn* poe is no mary sue

With an entire lifetime spent playing Larry Holland's X-Wing games, I can assure everyone I could whoop Poe's handsome rear end in a dogfight or a Pilot Proving ground time

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You can believe in plotholes, mary sues, and hack writers all you want; but if you can't admit that this was an enjoyable movie to watch, then you are a sun-deprived fun-sucking oval office gently caress.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE

a bone to pick posted:

You can believe in plotholes, mary sues, and hack writers all you want; but if you can't admit that this was an enjoyable movie to watch, then you are a sun-deprived fun-sucking oval office gently caress.

Everything up until Han Solo limps in is a Good Movie.

Then he shows up and it's CG octopus monster fight, hey everybody remember SPACE CHESS, Asian Yoda foreshadows the next movie, Finn is inexplicably good at lightsabers versus inexplicably not Chrome Stormtrooper, and Rey masters the Force in the forest by closing her eyes and listening really hard to the John Williams score.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MrSpiffy posted:

Everything up until Han Solo limps in is a Good Movie.

Then he shows up and it's CG octopus monster fight, hey everybody remember SPACE CHESS, Asian Yoda foreshadows the next movie, Finn is inexplicably good at lightsabers versus inexplicably not Chrome Stormtrooper, and Rey masters the Force in the forest by closing her eyes and listening really hard to the John Williams score.

monster fight was fun and tense, space chess was literally like half a second, ur right about asian yoda, finn actually sucked with his lightsaber which is why he got punked by the stormtrooper, and you're right that Rey is a mary sue.

Like, were people this critical of Guardians of the Galaxy? Another light-hearted romp through space? There was all kinds of bullshit in that movie but I never heard a complaint.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Blacktoll posted:

I havent seen the new star wars but dgaf about spoilers. I have to say that I saw the hateful eight and I should of saw star wars. There is 3 hours of my god drat life taken away.

lol that you thought any quentin tarantino movie wasn't going to be a complete waste of time

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

monster fight was fun and tense, space chess was literally like half a second, ur right about asian yoda, finn actually sucked with his lightsaber which is why he got punked by the stormtrooper, and you're right that Rey is a mary sue.

Like, were people this critical of Guardians of the Galaxy? Another light-hearted romp through space? There was all kinds of bullshit in that movie but I never heard a complaint.

People weren't expecting a flagship movie with over thirty years of history out of GotG.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Drifter posted:

People weren't expecting a flagship movie with over thirty years of history out of GotG.

Have you never met a comicbook nerd?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Booblord Zagats posted:

Have you never met a comicbook nerd?

Never in person. That'd be fuckin' nasty.

The point was that there was no direct comparison to be made with GotG and a previous movie in its history. TFA was basically episode 4 (or enough callbacks and references to make it near enough) but with new characters (and with horrible wooden acting out of Fisher and Ford).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Drifter posted:

Never in person. That'd be fuckin' nasty.

I have never been this jealous of a single person in my life.

But to answer the question, yeah, some nerds were super mad about GotG for similarly petty reasons. Including the middle finger joke Star lord makes being out of character and against the comics code

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

30 years of history, 15 of those years were the god-awful prequels, if those are canon then I don't see why expectations were high at all. I would say with the OT and the prequels, only 2 1/2 of those movies could actually be considered "good".

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

Holy poo poo the CG monster fight was literally the worst thing in this entire movie, and this after every nerd blog in existence ran stories about "Ep. 7 is going to return to using time honored PRACTICAL EFFECTS"

Like it feels like J.J. just couldn't bring himself to make any of the main characters not... cool and totally competent at everything.

You also appreciate Ep. 4's depiction of trusting the Force as something visual - i.e. firing proton torpedoes into an exhaust port. Plus, there's actual tension because you see people miss that shot with their targeting computers and Luke shuts his off. Here you get close ups of Rey concentrating really hard while the music swells. I mean, yeah, I get what's supposed to be happening but drat that's some boring visuals.

This ending is all payoff with no build up. Stuff just happens. They blow up a planet, and it felt underwhelming.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Wow, yeah. Very much this. The CG monsters being okay vs great didn't matter to me, but for everything else you said, spot on. Especially about the force.

Booblord Zagats posted:

But to answer the question, yeah, some nerds were super mad about GotG for similarly petty reasons. Including the middle finger joke Star lord makes being out of character and against the comics code

a bone to pick posted:

30 years of history, 15 of those years were the god-awful prequels, if those are canon then I don't see why expectations were high at all. I would say with the OT and the prequels, only 2 1/2 of those movies could actually be considered "good".

GotG only had comics. SW had movies, books, toys, clothes, comics, cartoons, blah blah.

I think I had more fun watching TFA than GoTG for all their faults if I were to directly compare them. I know very little about Star Wars, and less about Guardians, but I thought the middle finger shtick set a decent enough tone for the humor in that movie.

I mean, Downey's Iron Man feels way more quippy than in the comics, no? IM1 was really good back when I watched it. Whedon (and whoever made IM2 and 3) ruined it all to various degrees, though, but that's another issue for another day.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 30, 2015

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MrSpiffy posted:

Holy poo poo the CG monster fight was literally the worst thing in this entire movie, and this after every nerd blog in existence ran stories about "Ep. 7 is going to return to using time honored PRACTICAL EFFECTS"

Like it feels like J.J. just couldn't bring himself to make any of the main characters not... cool and totally competent at everything.

You also appreciate Ep. 4's depiction of trusting the Force as something visual - i.e. firing proton torpedoes into an exhaust port. Plus, there's actual tension because you see people miss that shot with their targeting computers and Luke shuts his off. Here you get close ups of Rey concentrating really hard while the music swells. I mean, yeah, I get what's supposed to be happening but drat that's some boring visuals.

This ending is all payoff with no build up. Stuff just happens. They blow up a planet, and it felt underwhelming.

Yeah dude I totally agree with your complaints about rey, but the CGI monsters.... how the gently caress are you going to do practical effects for Cthulhu monsters? They had so many set pieces and practical aesthetics that I think one fun CGI'd scene can be forgiven. I would have been loving pissed if it was a couple of big dudes in Rancor costumes dragging people away on the ship.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The squid monsters and Snoke were really bad. Felt like something out of Lord of the Rings. It just felt wrong to see that in the same movie with all the other classic SW stuff.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Supreme Leader Snookie

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah dude I totally agree with your complaints about rey, but the CGI monsters.... how the gently caress are you going to do practical effects for Cthulhu monsters? They had so many set pieces and practical aesthetics that I think one fun CGI'd scene can be forgiven. I would have been loving pissed if it was a couple of big dudes in Rancor costumes dragging people away on the ship.

I think the answer is: come up with another scene that doesn't completely under utilize the guys from The Raid, aka the most baller kung fu/muai thai dudes alive.

I mean, if you break it down - what's the purpose of that scene? Han Solo has gone back to smuggling (and I guess he sucks at it? Which is hilarious when he says later he "returned to the only thing he was good at") Rey and Finn are resourceful? Plenty of other ways to show this that doesn't require a whole CG monster fight sequence.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
How about that goggle wearing, cantina owner gremlin? Yeah she was totally made out of practical effects.

Also it's been thirty years and Han Solo doesn't even get a promotion or move to a better profession, he ends up staying as a smuggler with his dog/man hybrid buddy and now has to fly in a space carrier retirement home?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 30, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrSpiffy posted:

I mean, if you break it down - what's the purpose of that scene? Han Solo has gone back to smuggling (and I guess he sucks at it? Which is hilarious when he says later he "returned to the only thing he was good at") Rey and Finn are resourceful? Plenty of other ways to show this that doesn't require a whole CG monster fight sequence.

THis was just a terribly written scene in general.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
TR-8R

Traitor Heighter????

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

TR-8R

Traitor Heighter????

No, it's Traitor-Hater

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That's not how you spell out the number 8 you doofus. It's just a phonetic connection!!!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

That's not how you spell out the number 8 you doofus. It's just a phonetic connection!!!

But then it's H-ight-er. Or you're saying a Traitor Ate Her.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 30, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also it appears JJ Abrams and write guy don't understand how contract business is done. Space IRA and Space Yakuza show up demanding their money back from Han, while he is literally in the middle of doing what they paid him to do. Find stupid rolling monsters that have tentacles and have a gaping vagina mouth. Like if they were loving Han over because they planned on taking the poo poo and selling the monsters themselves, cuz Han did all the dangerous leg work that would be one thing. However that's not what happen or was conveyed since the look on Han's face was the look of a dude caught loving someone over, but lol he didn't.

Han I want you to paint my house, here is the money to buy supplies and little extra to get started. You'll get the rest once you've finished

*Han paints half the house, plans on finishing tomorrow*

WTF Han Solo, you hosed me. Half the house is painted I wanted all of it! You're fired give me my money back you loving SCOUNDREL!

Worst movie ever!

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 30, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

TR-8R

Traitor Heighter????

Tr-eight-r. Sounds like "traitor". I think that's all there is to it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drifter posted:

THis was just a terribly written scene in general.

Well at least Finn got to crawl behind Rey in a cramped tunnel

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Well at least Finn got to crawl behind Rey in a cramped tunnel

Finn's gay yo

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

notZaar posted:

Tr-eight-r. Sounds like "traitor". I think that's all there is to it.

that's the joke

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Snatch Duster posted:

Han I want you to paint my house, here is the money to buy supplies and little extra to get started. You'll get the rest once you've finished

*Han paints half the house, plans on finishing tomorrow*

WTF Han Solo, you hosed me. Half the house is painted I wanted all of it! You're fired give me my money back you loving SCOUNDREL!

Worst movie ever!

Pretty sure Han took payment from two rival gangs, for one job he was procrastinating on? And lied to both gangs about? Maybe he didn't actually do anything except rubbing the wrong people the wrong way for too many years.

I don't know but I'll go see the movie again when I'm back home then we can continue discussing this movie that only one of us enjoyed.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

Pretty sure Han took payment from two rival gangs, for one job he was procrastinating on? And lied to both gangs about? Maybe he didn't actually do anything except rubbing the wrong people the wrong way for too many years.

I don't know but I'll go see the movie again when I'm back home then we can continue discussing this movie that only one of us enjoyed.

lol you enjoyed the movie ahahahahahahah

what are you loving 9

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i wish that was in the movie

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The fight with Rey and Kylo Ren was dumb, a woman can't overpower a man

I know this decade is all feminism and girrrrl power but they're actually doing a disservice to women by implying they're physically stronger than men

Some little child is going to eat that up and someday try to kick a mans rear end and get knocked out

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Don Tacorleone posted:

The fight with Rey and Kylo Ren was dumb, a woman can't overpower a man

I know this decade is all feminism and girrrrl power but they're actually doing a disservice to women by implying they're physically stronger than men

Some little child is going to eat that up and someday try to kick a mans rear end and get knocked out

I don't know dude. Pretty sure in the future men are gonna be treated like blacks. Blacks can't open carry or have a bag of skittles in their hoodie pockets.

In the future men won;t be allowed to show anger and if they do, they'll be instantly peppered sprayed/tasered and sent to prison for 10 years minimum. I bet women will be cops and start murdering men walking down the street with a frown on their face. These slut cops will then say "He looked like he was gonna rape me" as their defense.

Truly a grim future for us all

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Don Tacorleone posted:

Some little child is going to eat that up and someday try to kick a mans rear end after shooting them with a rifle

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Is it a coincidence that Rey is dressed almost like Han Solo would be dressed in the old movies? Is she somehow related to one of the main characters?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
She dresses nothing like Han so no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Homo posted:

Is it a coincidence that Rey is dressed almost like Han Solo would be dressed in the old movies? Is she somehow related to one of the main characters?

When did han wear all white and drab clothing? If anything she is more dressed like luke when he lived on tattoooy

• Locked thread