Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you're 30 and let a 60 year old yank something out your hands c'mon son

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
https://www.etsy.com/listing/129559053/1-raccoon-penis-bone-baculum-racoon-love

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

I've had very good luck buying and selling rare-ish motorcycle parts on eBay.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I went a garage sale and got some mega strategy guide to the Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind for $0.50. It's an exhaustive 400 page tome with stats on every thing in the game, maps of every location, walkthroughs of every quest, a comprehensive detailing of all loot found everywhere, and more. It's a hilarious shrine to Gaming Autism made better by the fact the author constantly cracks 4th wall breaking jokes in the text.

Great value 10/10 purchase.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dunno OP, I got a used motherboard for fixing up my thinkpad for about $180. It's a big ol' brick of a W530 and still better than most current laptops on the market, which was a hell of a deal to save this beast.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Right about then was when I realized to myself "gently caress this poo poo, I can emulate anything up to a PS1 on my PSP/phone/computer/tablet" and gave up on retro gaming poo poo. I have my NES and if I find some cheapo games, great, but I'm not paying $20 for a beat-up copy of Legend of Zelda or anything.

Also nothing super duper rare, just non-greatest hits copies of Vagrant Story, a couple Final Fantasies and the like. The typical "best of PSX RPGs" kind of thing.

whenever im overpowered by an elderly woman my first reactionary thought is also 'no big deal i can emulate that experience on a computer anyway'

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Their global shipping program is really convenient for the US seller because he just has to send his defective poo poo to Kentucky and then ebay sends it to Canada at the buyer's expense for twice what it'd normally cost. It sucks for the US seller when that defective poo poo is mailed directly back to him and he gets assessed an import tax at his own border because the buyer refused to lie on the customs declaration.

The prize is a steaming poo poo, and everybody wins!

The Global Shipping Program is the dumbest thing they've ever done and is pretty much the main reason I don't waste money on poo poo while I'm drunk anymore.

It's a good thing for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's decreasing eBay's Canadian buyers.

extra stout posted:

anyway: in terms of cornering a niche market, etsy is a cool concept but also a loving joke, go pull it up right now and 3/4 of everything is chinese factory junk pretending to be part of the hand made community. so to sell on etsy you have to essentially attach your real life personality to it, make some awkward blog, and prove that you're really making the hello kitty christmas tree lights you're selling or people won't trust it

Etsy is great for handmade stuff at good prices (because the members are usually new and don't price their stuff as high as they should/could

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

extra stout posted:

whenever im overpowered by an elderly woman my first reactionary thought is also 'no big deal i can emulate that experience on a computer anyway'

lol

I'm imagining you as you yank a box of old video games away from, and then end up in a shouting match with, a white-haired old lady in the driveway of a stranger's house in broad daylight, surrounded by other people looking at baby clothes and novelty plates.

I've actually seen similar things before, it was pretty hilarious. When I worked at Radio Shack I got to see a 70+ year old woman pepper spray some dude over a Wii on Black Friday. She sprayed him for like 5 seconds too it was brutal

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

you guys remember in 40 year old virgin when the love interest has an ebay drop off store?

i used to work at one of those lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Professor Shark posted:

It's a good thing for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's decreasing eBay's Canadian buyers.

It unquestionably is because it's total garbage for us. The whole point of asking you guys to ship us things using only the USPS is to take a chance that the package could make it across the border without being assessed duties and brokerage; the GSP guarantees we always pay the highest possible combination of both.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I buy something and 30 days later I get a plastic replica of what I don't remember purchasing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's loving awful. A few US sellers who I thought were cool and I made deals with exchanged small talk with ended up banning canadian buyers because "too many complaints about shipping prices" after they refused to ever not use that awful system.

I used to buy a poo poo load of stuff on ebay, only got hit with customs once and it was because it was well over $200. But anything less, never.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
'Buy it now' turning it from auctions into marketplace, and then China

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

theultimo posted:

gently caress the retro bubble

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-MARIO-BROS-DUCK-HUNT-with-cosmetic-flaws-NINTENDO-2-GAMES-ORIGINAL-NES-HQ-/262182348934?nav=SEARCH

This game was literally a cent, now is 15 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Nintendo-SNES-System-Console-With-2-Controllers-/371508577542?nav=SEARCH

120 dollars for a goddamn SNES that was like 50 a few years ago

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-CD-Model-2-and-Sega-Genesis-Model-1-System-Bundle-Tested-Working-/321796749401?nav=SEARCH

A loving sega CD for 130 jfc

Just buy local the retro boom is a piece of poo poo and eBay is the worst offender

lol if you didn't already download an emulator and download a rom for every game ever made a decade ago.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Doctor Butts posted:

lol if you didn't already download an emulator and download a rom for every game ever made a decade ago.

also lol if you didn't spend an hour playing two or three games that you used to love and then never touch them again because games from 20 years ago suck rear end

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ehud posted:

you guys remember in 40 year old virgin when the love interest has an ebay drop off store?

i used to work at one of those lol

so got any stories?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Doctor Butts posted:

I remember downloading loads of roms around xmas 1999 or 2000. it was fun. i doubt it would be fun to play nes in 2015.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

you can get crazy deals on designer clothes on ebay if you don't mind buying preowned and a lot of wholesalers of new stuff for more mainstream brands

it's also great for used photo gear

ebay is great for niche stuff if you're knowledgeable about what is and isn't a good deal

which usually you have to be buying stuff that is too expensive for uneducated idiots to blind buy and try to resell, but I still probably buy one or two items off ebay a month

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I like playing roms of difficult NES games on my keyboard and feeling like I have hooks for hands

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the problem is that you look like the type of person a 60 year old woman decides she can safely yank a box away from with no reprisal

it's not about what you'll do after the fact, it's that you didn't mean mug the gently caress out of her when she was stepping up to you

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

goat manilla posted:

There's apparently a new thing with hipsters who are less of an SJW and more of a hearltess "grey area" criminal. They travel the country and go into every Goodwill and buy poo poo and re-sell it on ebay, craigslist and whatever that new hipster knick knack selling app is. That's probably what all that is. Ebay is just stuff shipped directly from china, used phones or Goodwill knick knacks anymore.

Every so often, I'll see a couple of people at library book sales and Goodwills with something that looks like a barcode reader/smartphone or something scanning the ISBN codes on books before deciding to take them or not. I figured this was part of some book value app or something that they were buying up stuff to flip.

I think I actually pissed one of them off one time because when I saw them I went to an area they hadn't gotten to yet and picked up a few books.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I sell on Ebay as a part of my job. A lot of people are douches or don't understand what they're buying. Some dude bought an iPhone 5c and complained that the item was not genuine because Verizon didn't have sim trays. Like wtf? And I have to refund those assholes because consistently Ebay will side with them pretty much regardless. Some dude is returning his phone because the flash is too bright, and therefore defective. You gently caress asses!

PS if anyone knows better places to sell electronics online id appreciate the intel

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Dont you dare try to cut off my supply of haunted items

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
I think ebay is pretty good if you are looking for specific things. Ive bought a bunch of tools for work off ebay . I've never had an issue with a seller, and Ive gotten great deals on alot of stuff that I couldn't find anywhere else

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Back in around '04 or' 05 there were a ton of Judge Judy cases where people were suing because they bought a phone or laptop and ended up just getting a picture of the phone or laptop.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
My mom buys china and has bought Christmas garland off eBay. I just buy discount gift cards.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

criscodisco posted:

Back in around '04 or' 05 there were a ton of Judge Judy cases where people were suing because they bought a phone or laptop and ended up just getting a picture of the phone or laptop.

I knew someone in high school in 04/05 who pulled the scam a few times to buy oxycontin, I'd forgotten about that.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It takes a special kind of fucker to buy stuff at Goodwill to knowingly flip for a profit, but I'll admit I wouldn't pass up a really expensive suit to get it tailored since I guess Goodwill is a treasure trove considering employees know fuckall about that kind of stuff.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Justin Tyme posted:

It takes a special kind of fucker to buy stuff at Goodwill to knowingly flip for a profit, but I'll admit I wouldn't pass up a really expensive suit to get it tailored since I guess Goodwill is a treasure trove considering employees know fuckall about that kind of stuff.

They seem to have wised up a bit. I know the one near me puts all the stuff with any value behind it's own little counter with an attendant and charge what they've figured out the value is by looking it up on eBay. Plus Goodwill has their own auction site now where a lot of the stuff with any value goes.

My cheapskate partner wanted the high end keurig but refused to pay $300 for it, and bought 3 off of the Goodwill auction site, but all 3 arrived refusing to brew. I finally bought him the one he wanted from keurig, because it was cheaper than buying $100 paperweights over and over.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

max4me posted:

so got any stories?

one time a guy came in wanting to sell erotic audio

He gave us an example and it was the creepiest things I've ever heard. It was him and his wife on the cd and he kept comparing his erection to bread rising in the oven.

also I went to two eBay Live conferences where people who make their living on eBay are supposed to go and attend seminars, complain about eBay, etc

The population was 37% morbidly obese people who had to use carts to get around, but I got to see the b-52's live so that was good

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

DId Meg spew some bullshit on the stage?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Ehud posted:

one time a guy came in wanting to sell erotic audio

He gave us an example and it was the creepiest things I've ever heard. It was him and his wife on the cd and he kept comparing his erection to bread rising in the oven.

also I went to two eBay Live conferences where people who make their living on eBay are supposed to go and attend seminars, complain about eBay, etc

The population was 37% morbidly obese people who had to use carts to get around

was his bread "rising" from his cart while he was talking to you?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

OctoberBlues posted:

DId Meg spew some bullshit on the stage?

yeah she would talk about empowering sellers or something I wasn't paying much attention

the second year i got to see Huey Lewis and the news

That was also the year they played that "Celebrate good times come on" song in every room on a 24/7 loop so just imagine you're listening to that song while swarms of gigantic fat people roll down the hallways of a convention center on their scooters

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rambling Robot posted:

was his bread "rising" from his cart while he was talking to you?

maybe

we had a lot of gay customers for some reason

I helped this one gay guy sell his Nintendo DS so he could have spending money on his vacation to the beach with his boyfriend and to this day that is my proudest contribution to the gay community

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

It's me. I'm one of those fuckers who buys stuff at thrift stores and resells on eBay. I'm curious to know why some of you have a problem with that.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FIRST TIME posted:

It's me. I'm one of those fuckers who buys stuff at thrift stores and resells on eBay. I'm curious to know why some of you have a problem with that.

I know a lady that collects cans from the garbage and then recycles them for money. Want me to give you her digits? You would make a cute couple.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I know a lady that collects cans from the garbage and then recycles them for money. Want me to give you her digits? You would make a cute couple.

Go for it.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
ebay is great for buying things you can't easily buy anywhere else.

goat manilla
Nov 13, 2003

the great deceiver posted:

i was doing this 10 years ago

You were driving a prius around the US visting every Goodwill and selling what you bought with Letgo 10 years ago? And that was how you made your living? Dang, you're the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

FIRST TIME posted:

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just jealous you still have cheap thrift stores.

I have a problem with people who try to sell t-shirts for $45 just because they were made in the 80s. So I guess if you do that, I do have a problem with you.

• Locked thread