Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

dog nougat posted:

Yeah I had to look it up since I was trying the point on the western lake and it kept blowing up on me and the strongest helicopter can't really carry it with fully upgraded tethers.

Lies and Deceit. :colbert:

Just gotta be careful. At all times.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
My tethers kept snapping and I'd hop out to fix it and accidentally hit the exit vehicle button and watch as my helicopter and boat plummet to the ground. The respawn timer is really a pain in the rear end. If you've gone to the trouble to upgrade everything the timer should go away or be like 5 mins, unless it is and it's just bugged right now which wouldn't really surprise me. As it is now, 30 mins is ridiculous, yeah I can just go around and blow poo poo up for half an hour but I wanna just endlessly spawn helicopters.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The last upgrade in the aerial challenge tree removes the respawn timer on helicopters and planes. Maybe you didn't activate it? It definitely works.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

No NPC's, No destruction, everything feels empty. Good progress though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
You can haul the Squalo even using the early-game transport helicopter that has no guns. It's not easy but it's how I did it. I later went back and did it again using the cargo jet just to see if I could. That worked fine too! Hardest part was landing it on a beach near a garage. In retrospect, it would have been way more badass to slingshot it out of the plane from high altitude anyway.

Knifegrab posted:

No NPC's, No destruction, everything feels empty. Good progress though.
Good catch, that bridge didn't react to being bombed at all. TODO I assume. Pretty hype regardless. I love that two separate modding teams have started work on multiplayer independently.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Ralith posted:

You can haul the Squalo even using the early-game transport helicopter that has no guns. It's not easy but it's how I did it. I later went back and did it again using the cargo jet just to see if I could. That worked fine too! Hardest part was landing it on a beach near a garage.
There's at least one town with a seaside garage you can steer boats right up to. No need for wire ting shenanigans at all! (Although I don't know if boats self–right when you drop them in water.)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

(Although I don't know if boats self–right when you drop them in water.)

I do!

They do but only if dropped from a pretty low height. If you drop them too deep they'll just kinda sink.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

AirRaid posted:

If you drop them too deep they'll just kinda sink.

Sounds about realistic enough

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Regarding the Squalo and how to get it to a garage - I've commented about this before but I think there has to be some difference with framerate or console or PC or something because nothing adds up. For some people it's easy as poo poo and for others it's loving nightmarish. I tried like 10 times in a row doing this :

Turmoil posted:

There's one that spawns in a lake in the North East in Litore Torto. It's the lake with the ruins in it. I drove it onto the land on the Eastern side of the lake and then grappled it up the hill a bit. Once up there I grappled it through the forest for a little bit where it starts to slope down the mountain. This is where the wild ride begins. When it started to slide down, I jumped in and rode it down the side of the mountain into the sea and got over 2 km in Land Ho! during the process.

Each time it blew up just before going into the sea. Others said just drag it with tethers up to the garage up the hill at the other spawn point. Each time I tried that it started smoking and blew the gently caress up 300 or so meters away from the garage, without ever hitting a car.

The funny thing is that the Squalo loving SUCKS for boat challenges. It's too heavy. As someone else said, just use the normal cigarette boat with nitrous 2.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

MMAgCh posted:

There's at least one town with a seaside garage you can steer boats right up to. No need for wire ting shenanigans at all! (Although I don't know if boats self–right when you drop them in water.)
Yeah, but if you have it loaded inside the cargo plane, you need to land the plane somewhere close enough to the water that you can unload the boat right into the water.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Could a kind soul on PS4 add me and call me out on a feat (preferably on something non-combat, like wingsuit time)? That and a last few gears are all that's left to 100%. PSN id is choichoi42. Will reciprocate if needed. Many thanks.

Also, for the Squalo: I used the heaviest heli to airlift it from the easternmost inland lake, but even with six maxed-strength cables I couldn't hold it. I was able to move it over the high ground directly to the south-east, keeping low as I headed towards the coast and when the cables snapped it slid all the way downhill into the sea, and I was able to drive it to a garage from there.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 1, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

foozwak posted:

Regarding the Squalo and how to get it to a garage - I've commented about this before but I think there has to be some difference with framerate or console or PC or something because nothing adds up. For some people it's easy as poo poo and for others it's loving nightmarish. I tried like 10 times in a row doing this :

Each time it blew up just before going into the sea. Others said just drag it with tethers up to the garage up the hill at the other spawn point. Each time I tried that it started smoking and blew the gently caress up 300 or so meters away from the garage, without ever hitting a car.

The funny thing is that the Squalo loving SUCKS for boat challenges. It's too heavy. As someone else said, just use the normal cigarette boat with nitrous 2.

Well I got it to the garage using the dragging it along the road with tethers method without issue on Xbox One.

Also the Squalo is great for the challenges, it's a LOT faster than anything else.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Cubey posted:

Also the Squalo is great for the challenges, it's a LOT faster than anything else.
Base speed doesn't matter so much when you have the second rank of turbo, and the Squalo is incredibly bad at turning compared to the basic speedboat.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

foozwak posted:

It was me that said that, and I said it before I had ever driven the Squalo.

I stand by my desicion though, The standard speedboat with Nitro 2 is better for nearly every race. A couple of the more open races with few tight turns might be faster in the Squalo but if you're trying to be nimble, the Squalo is not what you want.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Any idea where the challenges for the tether upgrades are? I've liberated a ton of settlements, but never have found any... Does it unlock at a certain part of the story?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

foozwak posted:

I'm playing on the PC. I know when I took it almost straight East from the lake it went down a very rocky hill and was on fire when it finally hit the water.
When I went up the hill a bit from the road and then East it went down through an open field and made it to the water without even smoking.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Any idea where the challenges for the tether upgrades are? I've liberated a ton of settlements, but never have found any... Does it unlock at a certain part of the story?
The challenges unlock when you're on the big island in the North. Especially when you've liberated the mining areas.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I stood on top of the Squalo and tethered the logo at the front and kept retethering ahead of me and pulling down the road, essentially "driving" it all the way to the nearest marina. The line of cars behind me on the mountain pass was hilarious.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Turmoil posted:

I'm playing on the PC. I know when I took it almost straight East from the lake it went down a very rocky hill and was on fire when it finally hit the water.
When I went up the hill a bit from the road and then East it went down through an open field and made it to the water without even smoking.
The challenges unlock when you're on the big island in the North. Especially when you've liberated the mining areas.

Not true, there's one on the starting peninsula and one on the second area too. They unlock when you liberate certain bases I think. Look for a grappling hook logo. (The icons in the gear mods screen match the icons for the challenges on the map)

Also, I think the Squalo recovery is one of the coolest parts of the game, because everyone is doing the exact same thing, but finding totally different ways of doing it. And there is no "boring, ordinary way", because of where it spawns. It's a lovely piece of design. The Weimariner jeep is similar, but much easier since most helicopters can lift it.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

AirRaid posted:

Not true, there's one on the starting peninsula and one on the second area too. They unlock when you liberate certain bases I think. Look for a grappling hook logo. (The icons in the gear mods screen match the icons for the challenges on the map)

Also, I think the Squalo recovery is one of the coolest parts of the game, because everyone is doing the exact same thing, but finding totally different ways of doing it. And there is no "boring, ordinary way", because of where it spawns. It's a lovely piece of design. The Weimariner jeep is similar, but much easier since most helicopters can lift it.

Ah. I never noticed the grappling hook challenges until I was a bit into the game. I made it through most of the story without upgrading them.

After I did the 2X and increased strength I was a wave of destruction with them.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah the standard grapple/tether is good, but upgraded it becomes amazing.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The grappling hook challenges unlock when you liberate refineries.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Why is it that sometime when I try to grapple onto a vehicle, I just take damage and bounce off for no discernible reason?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hipster Occultist posted:

Why is it that sometime when I try to grapple onto a vehicle, I just take damage and bounce off for no discernible reason?

You may be pressing e/enter a moment too early.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

If it's happening when you're trying to grapple onto and hijack an enemy vehicle, you're pressing the hijack button too early and flipping yourself into the wingsuit while grappling in.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Ah, that makes sense I guess. Thanks folks.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Ah, that makes sense I guess. Thanks folks.

Just think of it like an invisible QTE event where going early means faceplant or wingsuiting through chopper blades.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Was..I supposed to liberate this as it is?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I never tried doing that but figured it might be possible to take out the base without disabling the nuke. How did you do it exactly?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Falco Maxime is pretty open, you could probably do a lot from the air.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You do a lot from a nearby mountaintop that's within sniper rifle range of a bunch of chaos objects, but (barely) outside bavarium nuke aggro range. I think it's where you spawn if you die inside the base. Then you do a lot from underneath the base, where the base itself shields you from the nuke launches. Then you do a few suicide runs on the surface before going to get a bomber and doing runs on the base with big run-ups (if you turn too soon to make another run you lose too much speed and you are hit by a bavarium nuke).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone else scooted around in the parachute above the base, guiding the nukes and bombing itself to kingdom come.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Help, gentlegoons.

The game ran the very first time I launched it perfectly, no problems. Now every time I launch it, it hangs on 'Performing Online Login'. Verifying Steam cache doesn't help. Updating drivers doesn't help. Blocking the Executable in firewall doesn't help. I'm stumped!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, it was pretty much just swoop in, hope you dodge a nuke, and cling to a resource, for the most part, but for anything on the landing strips, I ran in and rained hell upon it with the hydra.

Also, I really hate wingsuit challenges because I am bad with it. Is there anything really..worth it from those? And, why the hell are the supercharged car challenges so bad

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

BillmasterCozb posted:

Yeah, it was pretty much just swoop in, hope you dodge a nuke, and cling to a resource, for the most part, but for anything on the landing strips, I ran in and rained hell upon it with the hydra.

Also, I really hate wingsuit challenges because I am bad with it. Is there anything really..worth it from those? And, why the hell are the supercharged car challenges so bad

The wingsuit challenges are super rewarding if you put in some effort, and the upgrades they give you let you wingsuit even harder, which is amazing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Wingsuit challenges were some of the funnest parts of the game for me.

Alhough there is a really noticiable difficulty jump were it goes from "hey you're still learning this, have some nice high open courses" to "gently caress you, we're going to try and murder you now, fly through this tiny-rear end gap 3 inches from the ground AND THEN DODGE THIS TREE"

It's genuinely brilliant.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

The first couple of times I tried the wingsuit challenges I failed miserably and was thinking "oh jeez there's no way, this is going to suuuucckkk", but I gave it another few tries and everything just clicked into place, and eventually got five gears on all but three or four of them (and which I probably could five gear if I kept trying). As others have said, small incremental tapping movements is key. Also I never used the ground grapple to accelerate in the challenges unless it was absolutely necessary or if I had enough space between the goals, because often it would throw me off just enough to miss the next bullseye. And regarding perfect bullseyes, you can spare missing a couple-few of them on the majority of courses but there are a number of them which require that you get all of them perfect.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well I finished the story over the New Years weekend. I had great fun and wish there was more.

I'll probably start a new game to get the achievements I missed (Vehicle-only, Grappling Only and Five-Star Clear). Before I do that I'd like to get all the vehicles into the garage. The only ones I'm missing are the semi, the super-rare speedboat and the vintage jeep. I saw the semi parked near the start of the last mission but when I came back afterwards it was gone.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I feel like there's only like... two wingsuit courses that really require you to use the grapple or the brake. Everything else can be 5-geared just using directional controls.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I originally thought I'd never get good at the wingsuit challenges or would at least have to wait until I unlocked more abilities, but the more I played the more I understood it. I know I'm wrong, but the feel of the wingsuit during challenges seems much different from using it around the open world, because it's generally NOT a good idea to grapple during the challenges. You should generally only need slight adjustments left and right, and never pull up more than you need to or you'll lose too much forward momentum. I have yet to find a course where you need to grapple or brake, as they all seem designed that you should have just enough momentum from the initial drop to complete the whole course.

Now, as I seek to 5-gear everything for achievements, I'm finding that the wingsuit challenges are actually going easier than the land races. The car mechanics can be so uncontrollable, and drifting around tight corners (gently caress you Mountain Pass Sprint) is a crap shoot.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The key to wingsuit challenges is getting used to the course first. Just get down the hill every time, then working on your corrections to start hitting the center. You will get better because you spend more time doing wingsuiting and you will also start to get a muscle memory for how to correct.

• Locked thread