Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

JediTalentAgent posted:

Does pulling the Cosby Show off reruns hurt Cosby or his costars more when it comes to royalties and residuals?

the simple solution is to make all royalties of the show go to victims. Probably some of the cast were victims.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rape

Is

Funny

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Exclusive footage from Bill Cosby's trial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbRD9FpqYI

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if i was taking some pills and wine with my buddies having a good time then next thing I know I'm waking up with a sore butthole

I'm p sure that's rape

what's amazing to me is being bill cosby surely he didn't need to rely on drugs so this is either some weird fetish where he likes banging unconscious people or he's just so socially inept and awkward that he can't hook up with a woman despite his fame/money

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He has a loving wife who lovingly slanders his victims.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

what's amazing to me is being bill cosby surely he didn't need to rely on drugs so this is either some weird fetish where he likes banging unconscious people or he's just so socially inept and awkward that he can't hook up with a woman despite his fame/money

Rape is rarely about sexual release. He enjoyed holding the power of life and death over these women, because even if he never entertained the thought of killing one, drugging someone into oblivion and violating them is about exerting absolute power over their agency as an individual, which morally speaking is a hair's-breadth from the actual physical deletion of their mind.

I wonder if any hookers ever found out how far he really would go.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that's what i'm saying though that's like some weirdo fetish serial killer poo poo

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Moridin920 posted:

if i was taking some pills and wine with my buddies having a good time then next thing I know I'm waking up with a sore butthole

I'm p sure that's rape

his fame and money came from being super clean cut and "America's dad" so with that expectation, it couldn't be anything but awkward if he started trying to segue into hooking up. In fact, this should probably be his defense since it wasn't possible for him to get with women any other way.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZombieParts posted:

his fame and money came from being super clean cut and "America's dad" so with that expectation, it couldn't be anything but awkward if he started trying to segue into hooking up. In fact, this should probably be his defense since it wasn't possible for him to get with women any other way.

idk man I'm p sure if I was 'America's Dad' I could be neck deep in women.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

that's what i'm saying though that's like some weirdo fetish serial killer poo poo

Yeah, guys who drug and rape dozens of women are (at least to my non-psychologist eye) really drat close to serial killers in terms of how the DSM would classify their personalities.

We could ask Darren Sharper, a successful professional athlete and a young attractive man, who did the exact same thing Cosby did and is now doing nine years for it. (Which is a travesty, even if it was the best the prosecutor could manage to do.)

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

One shooting by cop away from being forgiven by GBS.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

wasn't that Dahmer's thing?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Imagine the unknown women who likely will never come forward with their own victimization and yeah, poo poo like this starts to pile up on the possible 'crazy sex murderer'.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

jiharlequinade posted:

dahmer liked gay colored boys, cosby liked funny looking white women. get it straight.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

there's a lot of dumb loving things about the USA and having a limitation for being charged with crimes is one of them

whats the american exceptionalism response for letting a pedophile or rapist go free because oh he did it a decade ago

It's a fairly reasonable concept actually. The problem is basically one of evidence - both in terms of physical evidence, but also availability of witnesses and the accuracy of their recollections.

The British approach with serious crimes is basically to leave it to CPS to make a pre-charge determination as to whether there is enough evidence that the offence could be proved beyond reasonable doubt and then let the court decide if they were right. If you uncover a 20 year old VHS tape of the accused committing the crime, why not use it? Of course, if CPS makes the wrong decision - and they do because they're under-resourced and also because they gently caress up regularly - there is little real sanction other than yet more bad press and a telling off from the judge. Neither of which helps the accused very much. The British approach is also slightly bizarre because you do have a limitations period for offences to be tried in the magistrates court, even though the offences will be minor and sentencing powers much more limited.

The American tendency is for the legislature to say that a conviction after a certain lapse of time is inherently unsafe. The focus is on the protection of individual liberty against a deprivation by the state, where the ability of the accused to meaningfully defend him or her self is likely to be seriously impaired and where even evidence advanced in good faith seems unlikely to be reliable.

Either one is logically defensible - it's a question of where you want to set the boundaries as to what the state can do. The dumb loving American thing here isn't the idea of broad limitations periods, it's that it's still better to be black in Birmingham than black in Birmingham, AL.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's a very helpful post to me. I think I would actually prefer the British style in this regard -- although as I understand it, the pre-charge screening would be very similar to our grand juries, except for the crucial fact that our GJs are made of citizens and therefore are dumb and manipulable to a far greater degree even than CPS.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Nonsense posted:

He has a loving wife who lovingly slanders his victims.

Bill Clinton?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
No chubby trailer park girl ever didn't want to sex up Bill Clinton. The idea of anyone not consenting with Uncle Bill is, frankly, absurd.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Maoist Pussy posted:

No weird looking butch basketball player ever didn't want to sex up Bill Cosby. The idea of anyone not consenting with Dr. Huxtable is, frankly, absurd.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
I still see loads of people defending him..

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

I don't see Cliff Huxtable as having that same raw sexual charisma, amigo.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Cosby looks like poo poo, this crap is just going to speed up his death. Imagine it takes quite a toll on the mind and body.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Darth123123 posted:

Cosby looks like poo poo, this crap is just going to speed up his death. Imagine it takes quite a toll on the mind and body.

Yeah rape is pretty difficult, I wouldn't recommend it imo

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Cosby is my college's most famous alumni and every Halloween he donates steak and lobster for the students. Not even joking. Shame about the whole rapist thing

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cram me sideways posted:

There's no doubt he did it.

cram me sideways posted:

But without serious concrete evidence, there's no way to objectively convict him.

Where's obdicut? He's all for extra-judicial punishment of those we "know" are guilty.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
RUUUUUUDY!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Don't forget that Hannibal Burress essentially kicked this whole thing back into the spotlight when he called out Cosby for the hypocrite he is.

It seems to have been an unspoken common knowledge fact in the entertainment industry. 30 Rock even alluded to it when Tracy Morgan yells at Cosby over the phone for some unspecified thing he did to Tracy's aunt decades earlier.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Profondo Rosso posted:

Cosby is my college's most famous alumni and every Halloween he donates steak and lobster for the students. Not even joking. Shame about the whole rapist thing

I don't think it was a very good idea for you to willingly eat food that Bill Cosby handed you

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

King of Bees posted:

Gay gay gay!
It's Daaad's gay show!

And I'm gonna sing a song for you.
And Dad's gonna show us a thing or two.

We'll have some fun now
With Dad and his gay gang
Learning to say so what,
While Dad does his gay thang!

So so what,
Gonna have a gay time!

Gay gay gay!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Toadvine posted:

Don't forget that Hannibal Burress essentially kicked this whole thing back into the spotlight when he called out Cosby for the hypocrite he is.

It seems to have been an unspoken common knowledge fact in the entertainment industry. 30 Rock even alluded to it when Tracy Morgan yells at Cosby over the phone for some unspecified thing he did to Tracy's aunt decades earlier.

People earlier in the thread remarked that Cosby "isn't powerful," so no one should have feared to speak up. The thing is, his show business reputation meant that he had allies who would blindly protect him, in addition to the court of public opinion being a very ugly place. Because Cosby did a wholesome, inoffensive, white people-friendly act, he had protected status, because people don't realize that your stage gimmick isn't you. He still has black male entertainers rushing to his defense.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I think it's good that he raped all of those women

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

I think it's good that he raped all of those women

Agreed

Quote me on this, Jezebel

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Don Tacorleone posted:

Agreed

Quote me on this, Jezebel

Can I?

Oops too late.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Toadvine posted:

I just saw this episode lol

Rather disturbing seeing it was from 2009 or so

Someone else mentioned Cosby rape in another tv show but I forget which one

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I just saw this episode lol

Rather disturbing seeing it was from 2009 or so

Someone else mentioned Cosby rape in another tv show but I forget which one

Yea when I saw that episode recently I did a double take at that particular joke and was like drat that's ballsy on the show writers part. Makes me wonder how many other dirty laundry open secrets there are in the entertainment industry that get turned into innocuous punchlines

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im with crobsy on htis one sems lieke a false falge

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

jiharlequinade posted:

all rape is dahmer

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

ZombieParts posted:

all rape is dahmer

All sex is rape.

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

Toadvine posted:

Yea when I saw that episode recently I did a double take at that particular joke and was like drat that's ballsy on the show writers part. Makes me wonder how many other dirty laundry open secrets there are in the entertainment industry that get turned into innocuous punchlines

0 others, and also 0 if you include that punchline since it's a story that's been reported on openly in the news since before 30 rock even existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Don Tacorleone posted:

Rape

Is

Funny

We should just call rape "funny sex" imho and maybe blow a slide whistle afterward

• Locked thread