Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The video is glorious. It's everything I ever wanted from Star Citizen.

Is that woman who comes on stage about halfway through getting an autograph or something?

In the right hands, the game could've been fun. They obviously have some talented people on staff. As it stands, it is and will always be unplayable garbage that's somehow amazing to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Is that metabarons or technopriest? Those comics are IN-SANE (in the membrane)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No idea, I just googled shark space pirates

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

The video is glorious. It's everything I ever wanted from Star Citizen.

Is that woman who comes on stage about halfway through getting an autograph or something?

In the right hands, the game could've been fun. They obviously have some talented people on staff. As it stands, it is and will always be unplayable garbage that's somehow amazing to watch.

It's his wife actually. She is funny too because she has emotional meltdowns at trade events and also fires people because she thinks they are Derek Smart moles.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 3, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Justin Tyme posted:

Honestly dude just sell your account, your name is probably worth something to some sperg out there.

My account is infamous enough that it would get permabanned in a heartbeat and people would likely report it just to gently caress it over. Plus CIG still owes me three loving games and I'm already in the black, so gently caress it.

Gilganixon posted:

to me this sounds like a good game, I couldn't care less about the space sim itself.

Is there still a lot of this wheeling and dealing going on or is the writing on the wall?

Not really. There are still plenty of people who sell stuff on Reddit and the process for selling is itself very well established. However CIG has absolutely crashed the "market" for anything that's not quantity limited. What will likely happen is that prices for game packages will see a permanent spike after January because CIG thinks that their game (yes the same one Chris tried to "play" on that video) is substantive enough to justify not only refusing further refunds but also split Squadron 42 and Star Citizen into separate pre-orders. Otherwise you're typically looking at selling stuff at cost or at a 20% markdown if you want to move it quickly. Back in the day some ships would sell for two or three times their original price.

Professor Shark posted:

If this every turns out I want to join your crew, so long as we fight everything that we come across and kill as many people as possible

That's pretty much how I wanted to play the game. Assuming something ever came out (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) all of my poo poo was readily intended to be handed out to Goons like candy so we could thoroughly abuse the power of numbers. That was a huge part of the appeal of the early days; as you can tell this community is absolutely ripe for tears. Having a bunch of assholes ramming and boarding and generally loving around with spergs as they pretended to be space nobles aboard their autism chariots or whatever seemed like the most amazing thing ever.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I'd subscribe in a heartbeat to a youtube channel for griefing rsi tools.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy poo poo I want to set up SKULLS FOR THE SKULL GOD right now but I guess I have a few years/ decades to go before I need to worry about it

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Beer4theBeerGod why were you perma banned? It sounds like it could be a fun story. Also, what made you lose faith and enthusiasm in the project?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

The better question is: will Star Citizen release/fold before Barkley 2? I say yes.

The promise has been made. That's more then you can say about Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's pretty much how I wanted to play the game. Assuming something ever came out (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!) all of my poo poo was readily intended to be handed out to Goons like candy so we could thoroughly abuse the power of numbers. That was a huge part of the appeal of the early days; as you can tell this community is absolutely ripe for tears. Having a bunch of assholes ramming and boarding and generally loving around with spergs as they pretended to be space nobles aboard their autism chariots or whatever seemed like the most amazing thing ever.
Star Citizens are so easy to grief that you can upset them by running rather than walking. The running breaks their "immersion."

AbRASiON
Jan 20, 2004

Our war is a spiritual war

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

p.s. Chris cant play his own game, he couldn't get it to work on a livestream, he didn't know the controls.

Is that legit? I skimmed through the 18minute video of him livestreaming and noticed he ended up with an Xbox controller to play it (which would've hugely pissed off the fans who are buying full loving HOTAS rigs for this thing)
but did he actually not know the controls? I want to give the gumby the benefit of the doubt and assume the hotas code isn't complete or something.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
All of the core functionality of Star Citizen is already implemented:

• Ramming expensive ships with cheap ones to destroy them
  • Stealing peoples ships
  • Spawn camping people
  • Griefing
  • People bitching and moaning on the RSI forums about all the above
There is an additional feature the nature of which was never properly announced or made clear called Fidelity. This feature causes the game to crash frequently and also to be unpleasant to play. It works by reducing your FPS from the server-side so that it can't be mitigated by client-side 'hacks' such as having a fast processor or expensive video card, lowering the graphics settings, editing cfg files, etc etc.

If you weren't able to get a refund or sell your space ship, and have 30gb of bandwidth you don't know what to do with, I strongly recommend downloading the Space Citizen 2.0 live client so that you can enjoy the features listed above.

Everyone starts on the same space station, and if they survive going down a couple flights of stairs without clipping through the walls and ending up lost in space, they have to play a mini game where they pick one of ten or twelve computer screens arranged in a circle. If they pick correctly, the screen activates and allows them to spawn one of the ships they bought. The ships spawns at a random launch pad numbered 1 through 10. Depending on which launch pad the ships spawn on, they have to successfully leave this computer room and follow signs to an airlock. The airlock takes about 30 seconds to get through and is filled with unskippable animations. Once outside, the player is challenged to find his ship and enter it without/before anyone else getting in too.

It's also possible to add an extra layer of emergent gameplay to this already compelling meta.

The station is surrounded by 5km zone where weapons cannot fire. However, several weapons, including one that causes loud explosions when its projectiles strike, have an effective range of something beyond. This makes it possible to establish a position 5km above the landing pads and fire down, killing people on foot and destroying their ships while they try to find and launch them.

Each orange or blue flash in this video is someone's ship getting destroyed 5km down there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hq00aA0afQ

The world's first $104,000,000 crowd-funded masterpiece!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

AbRASiON posted:

Is that legit? I skimmed through the 18minute video of him livestreaming and noticed he ended up with an Xbox controller to play it (which would've hugely pissed off the fans who are buying full loving HOTAS rigs for this thing)
but did he actually not know the controls? I want to give the gumby the benefit of the doubt and assume the hotas code isn't complete or something.

He couldn't use the game chat function and didn't know anything about his own 50million dollar + game.

He slagged the chat thing off and said it was hideous which must been hi-larious for the poor schmuck who made it.
And then I think it crashed on him, live on stream....

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 3, 2016

AbRASiON
Jan 20, 2004

Tarkus posted:

Robbaz played this game, it was fun to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXk7o84MZPo

That video is loving tragic, I never paid in to this game, as soon as he started making crazy wild kickstarter promises, I knew it was hosed, from very very early on.
That being said, the way that looks, what it could've been, the idea - such a crying shame.
Imagine if the 100mil went to the Elite Dangerous folks instead?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really like shotguns and swords, will Star Citizen allow me to blast autists in the face before I stab their bodies and pillage their poo poo?

AbRASiON
Jan 20, 2004

Kainser posted:

Wing Commander was ok and all but I really don't get how Chris Roberts amassed a cult based on just that game

He didn't, it was more than just Wing Commander. I'm someone who grew up in that era, when Star Wars was huge, X-Wing and Tie Fighter were huge, he put out 3 pretty decent Wing Commander games (1,2,3) plus Privateer.
Combine that with Lucasarts being too loving stupid to do more X-Wing or Tie and bingo, you've got /nostalgic/ fans who just want some of their fun childhood back and the closest thing was Freespace, nearly a decade ago.

You gotta remember this slowly grew, he sold people their dreams of what they imagined as kids, teenagers and even adults as the reminisce the past, it started as basically "I'm making a very pretty loving Wing Commander, without the license, wink wink" and in the space of weeks evolved, let alone the poo poo he started promising towards the end.

Finally, those same people reminiscing the past are now adults, so most of them have jobs, probably technology ones, with some serious $ coming in. Dropping 1k when you make reasonable money, doesn't seem so bad once you've taken the kool aid.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Beer4theBeerGod why were you perma banned? It sounds like it could be a fun story. Also, what made you lose faith and enthusiasm in the project?

The official text is "You have been placed on probation indefinitely for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11, in particular posting so as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think. Note that this will not affect your access to the game itself." which is CIG's way of saying "We're banning you because we can." The most likely reason is because before CitCon (Star Citizen's annual convention, yes they have a convention) I collaborated with Derek Smart in an attempt to either prove or disprove he had a source inside CIG. The way that would happen is by having him provide me with the secret name of the new ship (Vindicator), which I would hide behind a hash and then reveal afterwards. Naturally I hosed it up by not salting the hash and it was broken in literally seconds. Goons ruin everything, etc. Smart was in good spirits about it. His source said the Aegis Vindicator would be sold for $175. Instead CIG sold the Aegis "Sabre" for $170.

Of course that didn't stop CIG from loving up the sale page of the "Sabre" and leave the Aegis POTATO in the description...

As for losing faith? It was a combination of things. I have a history of being one of the most vocal critics of CIG from the beginning, and I had started to see a routine pattern of them failing to learn their own lessons and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. Things got particularly bad over the summer when they started to fall behind (again) on releasing the FPS and jerked people around on the Cutlass. When Derek Smart entered the picture things just got worse, particularly after the Escapist article and Chris Roberts' Internet rant. When James was fired for being a rumored Derek Smart source it hit pretty close to home; he was the only community team member with a shred of credibility or professionalism. Finally I lose all hope during CitCon itself when we saw the Admiral Bishop speech. It became clear to me that the priority for Chris Roberts was to produce an interactive movie, not a game, and what he was producing was derivative bullshit attempting to ride on the names of big Hollywood actors.

At this point we're supposed to believe that CIG is less than a year away from releasing a final, polished product in Squadron 42. We're supposed to believe that 2.0 represents "dozens" of hours of gameplay. We're supposed to believe that CIG is progressing smoothly, that they have sufficient financial reserves to produce both SQ42 and Star Citize, and that you can do all of this right now. We're supposed to believe that everything backers have paid hundreds of millions for, from farming crops to capital ship combat, will be delivered in AAA quality in a seamless massively multiplayer experience. We're supposed to believe all of that, and yet CIG can't even get a group of players to join the same server. They can't make a FPS smoothly run in a FPS engine. They can't lock a single feature. They can't meet a release date. They can't even tell me why I was banned.

I didn't lose faith. CIG wasted it all.

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizens are so easy to grief that you can upset them by running rather than walking. The running breaks their "immersion."

Believe it or not enforcing a "no running" rule is one of the few things CR has actually said no to.

Professor Shark posted:

I really like shotguns and swords, will Star Citizen allow me to blast autists in the face before I stab their bodies and pillage their poo poo?

Yes. Melee combat is a stretch goal, and there's something supposedly called a "laser shotgun" that was being worked on.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 3, 2016

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for the info, it is really interesting. I know I kind of watched with interest when the game was first announced and Kickstarted. I guess that was actually quite a long time ago, now that I think about it. I remember it being a lot of fun to go to their forums where people would post things like "We need to ban goonsquad!" or stuff like that. Our reputation preceded us so much that they wanted us banned from a game that wasn't to take place for years. Is Derek Smart some sort of nemesis to Chris Roberts? Is there a feud ongoing between them, or some other source for the bad blood? The whole situation actually seems unbelievable. What was the original time frame for the release of the multiplayer space simulation, and what is the current expected release of that portion? It seems like a lot of feature creep, I mean enough feature creep that a whole extra game is being produced, if I understand correctly.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hakimashou posted:

It's also possible to add an extra layer of emergent gameplay to this already compelling meta.

The station is surrounded by 5km zone where weapons cannot fire. However, several weapons, including one that causes loud explosions when its projectiles strike, have an effective range of something beyond. This makes it possible to establish a position 5km above the landing pads and fire down, killing people on foot and destroying their ships while they try to find and launch them.

Each orange or blue flash in this video is someone's ship getting destroyed 5km down there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hq00aA0afQ

The world's first $104,000,000 crowd-funded masterpiece!

The thing that gets me is that those high-speed rams completely destroy the rammed ship but the ram just spins off into the distance.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The official text is "You have been placed on probation indefinitely for multiple violations of forum rules 3, 9, and 11, in particular posting so as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think. Note that this will not affect your access to the game itself." which is CIG's way of saying "We're banning you because we can." The most likely reason is because before CitCon (Star Citizen's annual convention, yes they have a convention) I collaborated with Derek Smart in an attempt to either prove or disprove he had a source inside CIG. The way that would happen is by having him provide me with the secret name of the new ship (Vindicator), which I would hide behind a hash and then reveal afterwards. Naturally I hosed it up by not salting the hash and it was broken in literally seconds. Goons ruin everything, etc. Smart was in good spirits about it. His source said the Aegis Vindicator would be sold for $175. Instead CIG sold the Aegis "Sabre" for $170.

Of course that didn't stop CIG from loving up the sale page of the "Sabre" and leave the Aegis POTATO in the description...

You forgot the best part of this: they banned your from the RSI forums for posting that information on the Something Awful forums. They literally followed him back here so they can ban him on their forums.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wait, am I going to be able to scream "DIE YOU loving MAGGOT BITCHES!" as I kill people, or is swearing bannable?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not enough gifs itt

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Young Freud posted:

The thing that gets me is that those high-speed rams completely destroy the rammed ship but the ram just spins off into the distance.

You forgot the best part of this: they banned your from the RSI forums for posting that information on the Something Awful forums. They literally followed him back here so they can ban him on their forums.

I had a Neogaf account banned because I posted something on SA about this poo poo game that some sperge neogaf mod linked to my Neogaf account.

These people take the internets very very seriously. Defend your internet tubes!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh yeah what's so bad with the chat window that makes croberts lose his mind about 10 times while suffering the rest of the garbage without comment. I'm watching on a small tv so it was just a small blurry console window to me. It sounds like the kind of thing that's hard to gently caress up, but they're pretty consistent at proving they can gently caress up anything and everything.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh yeah what's so bad with the chat window that makes croberts lose his mind about 10 times while suffering the rest of the garbage without comment. I'm watching on a small tv so it was just a small blurry console window to me. It sounds like the kind of thing that's hard to gently caress up, but they're pretty consistent at proving they can gently caress up anything and everything.

its because croberts is a moron.

seems like its just your standard chat window. nothing special or broken about it. but to a man who hasnt played a game in over a decade, well you've seen the video

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

i like that he immediately demanded that the team basically stop whatever they were planning to do likely after that video, to now address a chat window

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Don Tacorleone posted:

What am I looking at here?

The tables that were broken

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nonsense posted:

i like that he immediately demanded that the team basically stop whatever they were planning to do likely after that video, to now address a chat window

I'm more of a fan of Chris Roberts' opening statement of "It was Ben's bright idea to have me do this".

Granted, there's no bus in the 'verse that could run over Ben but still...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Thanks for the info, it is really interesting. I know I kind of watched with interest when the game was first announced and Kickstarted. I guess that was actually quite a long time ago, now that I think about it. I remember it being a lot of fun to go to their forums where people would post things like "We need to ban goonsquad!" or stuff like that. Our reputation preceded us so much that they wanted us banned from a game that wasn't to take place for years. Is Derek Smart some sort of nemesis to Chris Roberts? Is there a feud ongoing between them, or some other source for the bad blood? The whole situation actually seems unbelievable. What was the original time frame for the release of the multiplayer space simulation, and what is the current expected release of that portion? It seems like a lot of feature creep, I mean enough feature creep that a whole extra game is being produced, if I understand correctly.

The Star Citizen "community" is one of the most self-entitled, fragile, delusional groups of people I have ever encountered. Second to the promise of the game itself the community was a major reason why I thought it would be so much fun for Goons. I still remember the first thread where the community was posting images showing the size of their "fleets" for various groups. We just dropped this...

...and scared the poo poo out of everyone. From there it was a massive rush of GoonFear and people freaking out that Star Citizen would basically become EVE 2.0 with spying, theft, scams, and everything else that we do so well. I miss those early days, there was so much hope.

Derek Smart is a competitor to Chris Roberts. Back in the day he made the Battlecruiser 3000 AD series of games. Although originally a backer of SC, CIG made the mistake of refunding him when he started posting blogs questioning how Star Citizen could ever get made. At this point there's clearly a feud (my affiliation with Smart is likely why I was banned). Smart is notoriously belligerent and made CIG look like a bunch of idiots, but it all came to a head with a lawsuit threat at the end of November which never materialized. He's rich, has experience with game development (he has his own space sim he's working on), and at least before things died down in December he was ridiculously persistent. Whether Smart (or CIG for that matter) are in the process of putting for lawsuits isn't really known, but I wouldn't be surprised if both were working on something.

The original timeline had a hangar release in August 2013 and a playable demo for dogfighting in December of 2013 followed by a year of releasing several modules culminating in a beta for December 2014. Chris is on record saying that three years of development (including the year he had already done) was enough for what he wanted to do and anything more than that would bog things down. The hangar module was indeed released in August after Gamescom, and things continued with the CitizenCon 2013 livestream but in December CIG said that the then-named dogfighting module would be pushed back so that they could focus on multiplayer. This was billed as a good thing that would eliminate waste since the original plan was for the dogfighting module to be a rather slapdash affair with a lot of jury rigging. In April of 2014 Chris Roberts revealed the dogfighting module (renamed "Arena Comander") at a live event in Boston (I was actually there and got to have drinks with his brother, Erin, who is a ridiculously awesome guy and I wish I could talk to him about all this and see WTF is really going on). The reveal was a disaster with lots of crashing and delays and nothing working. AC was supposed to be released in April, then May, and then was finally dropped for (single player) in June. Multiplayer was slowly rolled out until everyone could play "Arena Commander 0.8" through July. In August 2014 we were provided with the next Star Citizen livestream once again at Gamescom. Here we were treated with (yet another) buggy demo, this time featuring multi-crew inside a Constellation as well as a slick teaser of FPS gameplay. Following up with that was CitizenCon 2014 which featured the preliminary view of the social module. A roadmap presented said Arena Commander 1.0 would be released at the end of the year followed up by the FPS module, Planetside/Social module, Arena Commander 2.0 (with multi-crew), Squadron 42 (Episode 1, followed by the remaining 4 episodes every 3 months for a total of 50 hours of gameplay), and then finally an alpha of the persistent universe. Next we got PAX Australia 2014 which finally did a live reveal of the FPS. Arena Commander 1.0 (now called Star Citizen) did indeed come out in December right before Christmas, although what justified calling it a "1.0" release is beyond me.

In January of 2015 we got a new glimpse of the schedule thanks to Chris Roberts giving a BAFTA presentation. Now the FPS would be released in Spring 2015 along with the Planetside/Social module. Summer 2015 would see Arena Commander 2.0 with multi-crew gameplay, Squadron 42 Episode 1 would be released in the fall, and at the end of 2015 the persistent universe alpha would be released. Finally in 2016 Star Citizen itself would be commercially launched. That did not happen. Not much was revealed during a PAX South Townhall and expectations were high for a FPS reveal (now called Star Marine) at PAX East. The FPS was supposed to be released by the end of March, Planetside/Social module by the end of April, Arena Commander 2.0 during the summer, and Squadron 42 would be released with 20 hours of content and 17 missions. This is the first time Roberts mentions splitting Squadron 42 into multiple games; while previously we were to get 50 hours of content in one game we would now get 3 games with the first one seemingly having 20 hours of content. To this day none of the content from that FPS reveal has been playable and CIG has not explained why. The following week social content was supposed to be revealed at SXSW 2015, but ended up being a lovely commercial shown at a party later on. Absolutely nothing happened until Gamescom 2015 where the social module, FPS module, and multi-crew were demonstrated. The new schedule had the social module released at the end of August, FPS module released at the end of September, and Squadron 42 revealed at CitizenCon. The social module was indeed released at the end of August and ended up basically being a large map you could run around and use a chat interface with, but the FPS was subsequently subsumed into Star Citizen 2.0.

The next major reveal was CitizenCon 2015, where things really went off the rails. Starting off with Sandi's utterly weird speech (complete with awkward flowers), we learned that Star Citizen 2.0 would be a "baby PU" with a massive game environment and multi-crew content as well as FPS content. Promised to be released "soon" CR jokes about getting poo poo for talking about dates. The map of Star Citizen's galaxy is also revealed along with Squadron 42... being released in 2016. The scope of SQ42 had also expanded from being a revitalization of Wing Commander to a full sandbox game with tactical combat on ground, space, and EVA. Star Citizen 2.0 was indeed released in November with mixed results.

As of right now nobody outside of CIG has even the faintest clue when to expect anything. This thread contains some clarification about Squadron 42 itself, mostly Ben attempting damage control while pretending that one person saying 20 hours of content is equivalent to another person saying 50 hours, and there is absolutely no information about when to expect Star Citizen itself. Or even what to expect when (if) Star Citizen actually is released. Even more damning is the lack of actual gameplay, such as the PC Gamer article from November where the writer flat out admits he didn't see or play anything. For something due out next year, and already a year past due, that's pretty disturbing.[quote]

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

sorla78 posted:

There's a lot of stuff that is curious here and it makes me wonder if that guy Michael Gleissner isn't a connection to Sandi Gardiner that assisted in bailing out Chris Roberts and Ortwin's company once they got hit with the lawsuit from Costner, the assets being held as collateral. Which makes me wonder, if there isn't a silent stake in CIG.

Anyways, it's all speculation.
Pretty long bow to draw.
Sandi doesn't have much in the way of actual production experience, let alone one that requires you to negotiate with any meaningful force with something like a bank.

Ortwin would have more in common with Gleissner who has found a market niche that works for him vs trying to compete in a saturated market where you will sink if you can't swim.

A bit about Ortwin Freyermuth
In the late 80's the Germany public wanted more of what was coming out of America and were loosing interest in the local cinema scene. Box office returns were low and budgets were tiny when an unexpected success of a fantasy film The NeverEnding Story - then one of the most expensive films made in Germany - scored well locally and ,with the help of U.S financiers, internationally.

Seeing an opportunity producers in Germany teamed up to create companies that would acquire and distribute American films across Germany and along the way co-fund US productions.
This amounted to a sort of contra deal where America and German financiers would scratch each other's backs and a low performing US film would have a new lease of life via an eager German audience and subsequently German productions could gain additional funding and international exposure, such as Das Boot.

It also was a high risk venture, one notable disaster was The NeverEnding story II that aimed to capitalise on the unexpected success of the first film and bombed, only finding it's returns from the home video market.

As producers burnt out and retired to Italy Ortwin was pretty much ready made to step into this boom industry having studied as a lawyer who focused on copyright and film distribution in Germany.
Travelling to America as CEO of Capella Films he was part of a team who arranged distribution rights and co-financed a wide range of films during the 90's, offering legal services on the side.

Ortwin then took the funds he got from this venture and started out in Hollywood as an executive producer on a range of productions, which basically means he puts up cash for a production in exchange for a return on it's box office - some deals were 50/50.
The Germans became the new way to finance films in Hollywood in the early 90's putting up something like $400 million at the height of the boom in 1993.

Post the boom in the 90's Ortwin leaves Capella and goes back to providing legal services. He then encounters eager young Space Cadet Roberts who wants to make pictures so he helps with Ascendant Films's legals and providing cash before running into a wall with Kevin Costner.

He's a man who makes his living from investments so no doubt Ortwin knows what he's doing with Star Citizen and despite regulations being tighter than in the 90's there are more than enough tricks in his deck of cards aided by the uncharted waters of Kickstarter donations.

Post crash
Financially Roberts didn't come off the crash of Ascendant that badly, as he makes clear in his angry email, he had enough from the asset sales to slowly recover and he had amassed enough funds from other ventures along with Digital Anvil and Wing Commander royalties to bankroll Star Citizen. There also were other investors early on with SC, most who have allegedly pulled out or were brought out to minimise litigation if the project collapses.

I strongly suspect the Kickstarter has been used as a slush fund with the company running off a main line of credit obtained from bank loans and other egg nests accrued from the Hollywood years. It will be a long while before they completely blow through their cash as there's enough life lines being thrown about but it's looking shaky.

What does appear to be happening, which is a bit unethical, is the company is covering Roberts and Co for houses and cars and side ventures and no doubt they have quite a salary that is being drawn, made easier from being a private company.
The big problem is that if they go under then all of these assets will be sized as they are owned by the company, not the individual however I suspect Ortwin has installed a few parachutes for when the plane goes down.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

You're still getting that game. The additional funding simply means that the scope of the project has grown larger in size. The game is going to be bigger and prettier than it ever would have been with the original funds. The increased budget also allows Chris to work with amazing hollywood actors, who bring the story truly alive. Imagine being INSIDE a Wing Commander movie, not just watching it. You're there, in the world, with Gary Oldman and Mark Hamil.

From the beginning Chris has spoken of a seamless experience and that's also what the community wants. Star Citizen 2.0 clearly demonstrates that this experience is not only possible, but happening right now.

Can't tell if trolling.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 3, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

Under normal circumstances scope creep would be concerning, yes. Star Citizen however isn't limited by publisher set deadlines or a limited budget. Features are only added when after they've already been funded. This means that despite the feature set growing larger, development always stays within budget.

I also doubt your knowledge of game development if you think half million dollars is enough money to create a seamless space MMO.

Can't tell if trolling, or just stupid.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

How could I not be serious? We are, after all, discussing an IP that could be this generations Star Wars. A global phenomenon that will redefine scifi and space game conventions as we know them. I certainly wouldn't expect anything less from Chris, he did already revolutionize the space sim genre once with Wing Commander. There's been a lot of copycats since then but none have truly reached the perfect mixture of hollywood screenplay and adrenaline filled space combat that Chris is once again aiming for with Squadron 42.

drat, you are GOOD. Well done.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Star Citizen "community" is one of the most self-entitled, fragile, delusional groups of people I have ever encountered. Second to the promise of the game itself the community was a major reason why I thought it would be so much fun for Goons. I still remember the first thread where the community was posting images showing the size of their "fleets" for various groups. We just dropped this...

...and scared the poo poo out of everyone. From there it was a massive rush of GoonFear and people freaking out that Star Citizen would basically become EVE 2.0 with spying, theft, scams, and everything else that we do so well. I miss those early days, there was so much hope.

I'm pretty sure in the real image that was posted to them some of the ship silhouettes were actually dildos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AbRASiON posted:

He didn't, it was more than just Wing Commander. I'm someone who grew up in that era, when Star Wars was huge, X-Wing and Tie Fighter were huge, he put out 3 pretty decent Wing Commander games (1,2,3) plus Privateer.

This is a myth. The best WC games were 2, 4 and Privateer.

Chris Roberts only directly worked on 1 & 3 and was marginally involved with 4.

ED: I mentioned it earlier but that's why Hobbes tossed out every big of character development to turn traitor in 3, Chris Roberts didn't like the Kilrathi having depth and pissed on the character. I doubt anyone has it, but there were a bunch of interviews with the developers of Privateer in particular who commented that they basically never met Chris Roberts at all.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 3, 2016

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Yea, but other than that, what have they ever done wrong?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cut through the hyperbole and you actually find a very good space game that has one or two issues, nothing more.
See you in the 'Universe Commandos!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody have the old WC: Privateer or WC2 strategy guides? I think that's where a lot of the interviews were explaining Roberts lack of involvement in those games.

For those that don't remember 80s/90s strategy guides, they used to be loaded with tons of fluff, extra features, expanded backgrounds, etc. and weren't pure and utter poo poo that Gamefaq replaced. At least the WC ones were, I didn't buy many.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
How is Doob doing anyway?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i remember reading about battle ad2300 or whatever it was called a million years ago. derek fuckin smart man. wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Yeah, Derek Smart of Desktop Commander fame providing laughs that aren't at his expense is the last thing I'd have expected. Yet here we are. The future is a strange and wonderful time.

• Locked thread