Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

you know what's actually bad? this thread and everyone who posts in it, including me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Longshot007 posted:

Theres also the bit at the end of the movie where Rey and Chewbacca fly to the planet Luke is on in like 30 seconds. The Enterprise did the same poo poo in into darkness. I know they're going FTL but still, it makes the universe seem small.

I tend not to mind "speed of plot" stuff as long as it's consistently applied, and I didn't particularly didn't feel like there was anything to indicate whether the journey in the coda took hours or weeks or days, so really it was just basic movie editing IMO.

Again it's more annoying in the nominally "harder SF" setting of Trek. The other bad thing about JJTrek is that he desperately wanted to tell a story that had Kirk and company as young, uncertain, newly minted officers.. but he still wanted to have the TOS status quo of everyone being a senior bridge officer under Captain Kirk. So you have insultingly stupid poo poo like Pike basically tossing him the keys to the Enterprise and promoting him from Ensign to Captain basically hours out of the academy because he's a cool bro.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

a bone to pick posted:

The whole last 5 - 10 minutes felt kind of tacked on, I thought it would end after Leia and everyone were waving goodbye to Rey and Chewy as they fly away. It was one of the only parts that felt weird about the movie.

Yeah, I get the impression that they cut out everything with Luke, but had paid Mark hamill upwards of a billion dollars already, so they just threw him in at the end. I know that they cut a bunch of stuff that was meant to be in this film that will have to be in the next one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

Yeah it's like the entire movie takes place in the same tiny tiny part of the galaxy because on the temperate planet with the cantina they can apparently see the starkiller doing its thing to those other planets then the rebels arrive there in like 2 minutes after the first order then leia comes. Somebody should walk jj abrams outside and ask can you see saturn from here? loving dumbass they shouldve hired neil degrasse tyson and chris nolan to make the screenplay and direct

I just assumed the cantina planet was supposed to be in the same solar system as Trantor Coruscant, since that's the planet that got blown up.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
chewie married a tangerine.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So, looking at Wookapedia, apparently it might not have been Coruscant? It sure looked like it was.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Applewhite posted:

So, looking at Wookapedia, apparently it might not have been Coruscant? It sure looked like it was.

They moved the seat of government to a hitherto unmentioned "hosnian" system.

On the balance I really liked the film, but I do feel like the prequels left them so gunshy about ponderous exposition explaining stupid made-up space politics that they ran a bit too far in the direction.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Otisburg posted:

They moved the seat of government to a hitherto unmentioned "hosnian" system.

On the balance I really liked the film, but I do feel like the prequels left them so gunshy about ponderous exposition explaining stupid made-up space politics that they ran a bit too far in the direction.

Yes let's just move the bureaucracy for governing the entire galaxy from the place whose entire infrastructure has been dedicated to government for literal millennia to some other horseshit place.
I'm glad it got blown up.

While we're talking about Coruscant, at the end of Special edition RotJ, we see parties breaking out all across the galaxy, including Coruscant.
If the literal trillions of citizens of the galactic capital hated Palpatine enough to topple his statue and throw a holiday the moment they found out he was dead, how was the government not overthrown years ago?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

If the literal trillions of citizens of the galactic capital hated Palpatine enough to topple his statue and throw a holiday the moment they found out he was dead, how was the government not overthrown years ago?

that was the point of building the death star. this is litteraly the plot of ANH. citizens don't matter if the people maning you death machine are loyal

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

MiracleWhale posted:

you know what's actually bad? this thread and everyone who posts in it, including me

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
The movie was pretty good but I can't get over how dumb it is that circumstances are exactly the same 30 years later, the original trilogy might as well have not even happened plotwise. Episodes 7-9 just seem dumb, the story was finished. They should have remade the prequels instead

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Applewhite posted:

Yes let's just move the bureaucracy for governing the entire galaxy from the place whose entire infrastructure has been dedicated to government for literal millennia to some other horseshit place.
I'm glad it got blown up.

While we're talking about Coruscant, at the end of Special edition RotJ, we see parties breaking out all across the galaxy, including Coruscant.

They beat the final boss, that's why the galaxy was instantly free the very second Death Star 2 blew up.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Magnitogorsk. posted:

They should have remade the prequels instead

Seconded. Disney please pick me to write the script. TIA.

My changes:
The prequels would take place over a similar length of time as OT, not thirty years or w/e. None of this wunderkind Anakin BS. We start the series after Anakin is already a Jedi.
Palpatine is a demagogue at the head of a similar nationalist/populist movement like the early Nazi party.
Anakin, still young and idealistic, is swept up in the fervor and promise of a strong republic that hearkens back to traditional values. The sinister side of the new movement would be hinted at in the first movie, but Anakin only sees the community outreach aspect of it.
Obi Wan is wary of the growing movement and this puts him at odds with the enthusiastic Anakin. The ideological difference starts as a mild disagreement that grows into a serious rift between the two.
Anakin idealizes Palpatine and attends rallies in his Jedi robes, which catch Palpatine's eye. He makes sure that Anakin is in every photo op and exploits the young Jedi to garner popular support under the guise of "mentoring" him.
When Palpatine executes his putsch, Anakin takes Palpatine's side and, though reluctant to fight his former colleagues at first, is eventually overcome with rage and begins slaughtering them en-masse. His final battle with Obi Wan goes off more or less like it does in Ep. III but with less CGI crap flying around.

Other changes:
Midichlorians are out. They never existed.
The Clone Wars are between two armies of clones like the name implies. At the start of the prequel trilogy, it would be coming to an end, leaving the Republic in a state of postwar funk, allowing Palpatine a foothold into the hearts and minds of the disgruntled populace.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the prequels should be the sound of music and anakin is rolf

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArmZ posted:

the prequels should be the sound of music and anakin is rolf

I was thinking more in a Cabaret direction but Sound of Music is also a great example of the sort of slow corruption I'm shooting for.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Applewhite posted:

Seconded. Disney please pick me to write the script. TIA.

I'd watch that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

d_redguy posted:

I'd watch that.

Episode I would be the closing days of the clone war. Episode II would be Palpatine's Putsch and Episode III would be the Empire's pacification of the galaxy and systematic extermination of the Jedi.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Anakin should also go through gradual robotification in the last couple movies. I want to see him hunt a couple Jedi wearing the original Luke Starkiller getup.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

thathonkey posted:

loving dumbass they shouldve hired neil degrasse tyson and chris nolan to make the screenplay and direct
that would be the worst movie ever made.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i didn't watch your gay movie but this scene seems up my alley

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MiracleWhale posted:

I'm not bad!

I just wonder what it would feel like to gently caress the little alien with the big glasses and black lady voice

I mean that rectum has got to be tight

Lil glasses got it going on

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

*zzzzrpzzz* Chewbacca I thought you cleaned the toilet there's still grime here! I've been around a thousand years and I recognize those eyes don't give me that look

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Merry Sue everybody

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
we already had a kickass star wars prequel, it was zhang yimou's hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBzIayMB40

- colourful epic past with badass warriors doing epic wuxia poo poo
- emperor who wants to bring peace by massacring everyone who steps out of line
- hero starts out opposing the emperor, sees the division and pettiness among his fellow badass warriors, emperor talks him around into supporting him

just robotify jet li instead of bringing him down in a hail of arrows and it's perfect

it had everything i wanted out of a star wars prequel anyway

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Clipperton posted:

- hero starts out opposing the emperor, sees the division and pettiness among his fellow badass warriors, emperor talks him around into supporting him

just robotify jet li instead of bringing him down in a hail of arrows and it's perfect

You pretentious CineD reject

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm not bad!

I just wonder what it would feel like to gently caress the little alien with the big glasses and black lady voice

I mean that rectum has got to be tight

Lil glasses got it going on

i'm afraid aliens will have like teeth or spines in their rectums and bite my dick off

rey on the other hand... i'd make her thank god she was born with a rectum

that whole ending scene was retarded but it was worth it for that shot of her booty when she was walkin up the stairs

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

MiracleWhale posted:

i'm afraid aliens will have like teeth or spines in their rectums and bite my dick off

rey on the other hand... i'd make her thank god she was born with a rectum

that whole ending scene was retarded but it was worth it for that shot of her booty when she was walkin up the stairs

Her rectum is gonna get sealed in the next movie, instead of losing her hand.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In A New Hope, when the rebel pilots are getting briefed on the Death Star attack, the blueprints for the Death Star shown on the screen clearly and unambiguously depict the death star's superlaser as mounted on the equator, but when we see the real Death Star, the superlaser is located in the northern hemisphere.

Given the glaring discrepancy in something as large as the superlaser, how could the rebels trust that the miniscule thermal exhaust port would be in the same place?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

You pretentious CineD reject

hero is not pretentious, it's just a kung fu movie

also i think having a prequel built around the scene where anakin gets turned, with all the other stuff happening in flashback, would be cool

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Clipperton posted:

but that's a rubbish film

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

gender illusionist posted:

is it possible that the worst posts in this thread are still to come

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

gender illusionist posted:

no it's good :colbert:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
NO IT IS RUBBISH!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually Hero is v. good. Sorry you are incapable of feeling joy.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

I'm not denying it was the best battle in the series, but the movie overall wasn't as good as Empire.

Also, the Super Star destroyer impacting the Death Star II's surface was a poorly executed special effects shot that was not up to the standard set by the rest of the film. A ship that size wouldn't just blow up in a huge cloud, it would collapse slowly like a large building.

(I know this is several pages back, but gently caress it)

Tibanna gas can't melt durasteel beams!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Randumb Thots posted:

gently caress you

not in a nice way

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 5, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Actually Hero is v. good. Sorry you are incapable of feeling joy.

i thought it was a very sad movie actually. this brilliantly-coloured world full of superhumans was passing away and being replaced by grim grey flagstones and faceless armies, even if they were bringing peace and order. i wanted something like that from the prequels but instead i got, well, the prequels

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Randumb Thots posted:

A second proton torpedo has hit the hypermatter reactor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

• Locked thread