Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Item Getter posted:

It was confirmed it will be at least 8 seasons

When was this announced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't think he's a bad writer, I just don't think his prose is anything special or worth reading after I already know the story beats.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Solice Kirsk posted:

When was this announced?

Rumours and interviews. But it's actually somewhat unclear - Clarke gave an interview where she suggested it may be some sort of a split season scenario. All we really know is that they are projecting the show to be 70-80 hours.

And, I mean. Next season will probably end with Arya disposing of the Freys, Sansa of Littlefinger, Jaime and Cersei killing each other and Dany and Tyrion dealing with Euron, meeting Sam and reaching King's Landing. After that, it will take only a couple of episodes to deal with the supernatural stuff.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

Naw dude. Forget all of the foreshadowing which GRRM does better than nearly any other writer. Hes a bad writer now or something to the diseased minds of the TVIV hatewatch crew

Ah, foreshadowing, one of the 5 elements of literature.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

meristem posted:

Rumours and interviews. But it's actually somewhat unclear - Clarke gave an interview where she suggested it may be some sort of a split season scenario. All we really know is that they are projecting the show to be 70-80 hours.

And, I mean. Next season will probably end with Arya disposing of the Freys, Sansa of Littlefinger, Jaime and Cersei killing each other and Dany and Tyrion dealing with Euron, meeting Sam and reaching King's Landing. After that, it will take only a couple of episodes to deal with the supernatural stuff.

thats a whole lot of speculation jammed into 2 paragraphs.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Solice Kirsk posted:

When was this announced?

It's an epic joke and we're all falling for it. GRRM announces the addition of volumes a book or two before the series is to end. It's part of the mythology, that we delude ourselves that closure exists, that there will be a satisfying end to things and we can move on when in reality there is only gradual change to situations; there's no "over."

:downs:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

So what percentage of Season 6 will be fanfiction filler, I wonder? How much could they possibly wring from the books before it becomes too far removed from the [fingerquotes]main plot[/fingerquotes]?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

SciFiDownBeat posted:

So what percentage of Season 6 will be fanfiction filler, I wonder? How much could they possibly wring from the books before it becomes too far removed from the [fingerquotes]main plot[/fingerquotes]?

Depends on what you consider 'fanfiction filler'. It looks like the show is going to doubleback and hit some storylines it skipped from AFFC/ADWD like Sam visiting his family, everything with Bran, Brienne and and Jaime in the Riverlands, the Iron Islands, etc. There will be enough there that they may not have to actually *move* the plot forward much at all. (Aside from the obvious Jon Snow vs. Ramsay confrontation that's sure to happen)

Which would be frustrating, for a lot of us, but so it goes

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

Depends on what you consider 'fanfiction filler'. It looks like the show is going to doubleback and hit some storylines it skipped from AFFC/ADWD like Sam visiting his family, everything with Bran, Brienne and and Jaime in the Riverlands, the Iron Islands, etc. There will be enough there that they may not have to actually *move* the plot forward much at all. (Aside from the obvious Jon Snow vs. Ramsay confrontation that's sure to happen)

So basically like reading Dance?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

For a lot of characters thats fine and makes sense but there are still some really core plot things that will have to move forward:

1) Jon Snow being resurrected and whatever completely new fate for him
2) Dany taking over the Dothraki and doing...something
3) Whatever Tyrion needs to get up to in Meereen
4) More poo poo for the current holders of the Iron Throne

Like yeah, the books have always been super dense and there is a ton of stuff they can still milk, but they're not going to get away with pulling a "Meanwhile, at the wall, and the Iron Throne, and across the narrow sea..." for a lot of the really big headline stories.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sam visiting his family is actually new content, some of the important plot beats from Sam's AFFC storyline were in S5. Excluding the Braavos jaunt, Sam's AFFC content could take one scene of arriving in Oldtown.

We've only heard about the Kingsmoot, not the whole Iron Islands plot. The majority of it can be cut with Victarion.

I think people exaggerate how much AFFC/ADWD stuff is set to be in S6.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 5, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
My best guess on what each character will be up to:
Jon: Resurrected, leads Wildling army south to confront Ramsay
Bran: Flashback machine
Sansa/Theon: Probably will meet up with Brienne and, according to rumors, meets up with Jon at some point. Theon/Reek tries to regain his identity
Arya: Gets her eyesight back and goes into deep cover as Mercy, probably spans half the season as part of the acting troupe. This might bring her back to Westeros.
Sam: Family reunion, quest towards the Citadel.
King's Landing: ongoing conflict with the High Septon which probably gets dragged out over 9 episodes, possibly climaxing with Clegane Bowl.
Dany: Uses her dragon as a show of might against the Dothraki, returns to Mereene to find Tyrion has made a treaty with Euron, probably will triumphantly set sail for Westeros in the final minute of the final episode.
Littlefinger: Probably randomly shows up in each episode in a different part of the world with no explanation as to how he got there.
Jaime/Bronn: Practicing diplomacy in the Riverlands
White Walkers: Somehow find their way south of the wall. Probably kill all of the Night's Watch and perhaps destroy the wall entirely.
Lady Stoneheart: Doesn't show up, at all, but episode 10's title trolls fans.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lifts cats over head posted:

Sansa/Theon: Probably will meet up with Brienne and, according to rumors, meets up with Jon at some point. Theon/Reek tries to regain his identity
Arya: Gets her eyesight back and goes into deep cover as Mercy, probably spans half the season as part of the acting troupe. This might bring her back to Westeros.
King's Landing: ongoing conflict with the High Septon which probably gets dragged out over 9 episodes, possibly climaxing with Clegane Bowl.
Dany: Uses her dragon as a show of might against the Dothraki, returns to Mereene to find Tyrion has made a treaty with Euron, probably will triumphantly set sail for Westeros in the final minute of the final episode.
Littlefinger: Probably randomly shows up in each episode in a different part of the world with no explanation as to how he got there.
White Walkers: Somehow find their way south of the wall. Probably kill all of the Night's Watch and perhaps destroy the wall entirely.

An this year, lifts cats over head is a writer on the show

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

If they do 8 seasons it would be cool if they took the sopranos route and used season 7 to tie everything off for all of the happy endings and victories and season 8 just burned everything down and went full red wedding on everyone possible.

Spoilers in case people haven't seen the sopranos yet because it's a p good show

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did any of Drogo's bloodriders get a name in the show? At least the ones that survived and rode the horde away after his death? I always figured, in the books, it was Jhogo that surrounded Dany at the end of Crows.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

lifts cats over head posted:

-Ramsay destroys the wildling army including the giant, but he needs fifty good men to do it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nail Rat posted:

-Ramsay destroys the wildling army including the giant, but he needs fifty good men to do it.

Ser Twunty Goodmyn had a big brother?! Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

I feel like Ramsay's actor is someone's spoiled nephew, like in the movie Orgasmo. Like next season he will just be shooting everyone with an AK-47 because the actor thought it would be cool.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Someone with more free time than me should go back through the season 5 thread and grade everyone's predictions

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

webmeister posted:

Someone with more free time than me should go back through the season 5 thread and grade everyone's predictions

I will pay $100 to any goon who somehow predicted the bad pussy line.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

WampaLord posted:

I will pay $100 to any goon who somehow predicted the bad pussy line.

Wasn't that part of the leaked audition script? Where no one believed it because no one thought human beings could write dialog that bad? I know at least some of the prison scene was there.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Just the prison scene I think. We all howled with laughter when that tape leaked, thinking it was a fake or at least something they came up with in five minutes that wouldn't be in the show and well yeah

And yet it still wasn't even in the top 5 worst things about Dorne

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Some might say it was the best part about the Dorne plot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The single best moment of the TV show is the end of the Red Wedding when they focus on Cat for like 20 seconds and then a random guard appears from off frame, cuts her neck, and then steps back off frame.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The show's absolutely going to be over in 3 years at the latest. HBO may have at least one spinoff because lolmoney, but basically all sides have hinted and also explicitly said the main series ain't the Simpsons and isn't getting double-digit seasons

computer parts posted:

The single best moment of the TV show is the end of the Red Wedding when they focus on Cat for like 20 seconds and then a random guard appears from off frame, cuts her neck, and then steps back off frame.

:agreed:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

computer parts posted:

Director's cut version:

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Lycus posted:

I think people exaggerate how much AFFC/ADWD stuff is set to be in S6.
The Kingsmoot, Jaime parlaying with Blackfish and Sam getting to Oldtown. About this. But this does not guarantee plot progression; it really seems like it will be a season which will deal with a lot of sidequests and hanging matters - Meereen, the Dothraki, Arya in Braavos, the Boltons. And, obviously, Bran's visions.

Oh well. Between this season and S5, TWOW should be well spoiled. Stannis dead, Jon resurrected, Dany setting off for Westeros and the Wall fallen. And whatever the hell Cersei does to the Faith and the Tyrells.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

meristem posted:

The Kingsmoot, Jaime parlaying with Blackfish and Sam getting to Oldtown. About this. But this does not guarantee plot progression; it really seems like it will be a season which will deal with a lot of sidequests and hanging matters - Meereen, the Dothraki, Arya in Braavos, the Boltons. And, obviously, Bran's visions.

Oh well. Between this season and S5, TWOW should be well spoiled. Stannis dead, Jon resurrected, Dany setting off for Westeros and the Wall fallen. And whatever the hell Cersei does to the Faith and the Tyrells.

I'm assuming they are both going to be laid to waste by the end of the books, but Natalie Dormer is pretty so she will be in the show for as long as they can keep her. Probably up until Tommen is killed.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

What about when Roose Bolton slides into frame, stabs Robb in the heart, and then slides out of frame?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The Tyrell's have to be more powerful than the Lannisters at this point. Run back to high garden and pull your forces and funding. There, you've defeated the Lannisters without a single death

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

AAA DOLFAN posted:

The Tyrell's have to be more powerful than the Lannisters at this point. Run back to high garden and pull your forces and funding. There, you've defeated the Lannisters without a single death

And you've also lost whatever claim you ever had to the throne and probably really pissed off whoever is dethroning Tommen

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

And you've also lost whatever claim you ever had to the throne and probably really pissed off whoever is dethroning Tommen

And made a new throne in a place that is probably much more habitable than kings landing

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Slightly Toasted posted:

And made a new throne in a place that is probably much more habitable than kings landing

Lol. I'm sure that's just gonna be chill with Aegon and Dany running around.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

The real twist of the series will be how little of a poo poo anyone gives about Targeryens after how much time has been spent on them

e: besides, dany wants the chair made of swords. No way the tyrells care that much to cart it off to highgarden

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm glad they left him out of the show. Quintin Martell, too. There really arent too many people that were left out that I miss. Generally speaking, HBO has done a great job of telling the story without stupid tangents.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I suppose one of the things we'll see is Cersei dealing with the fact that the Lannister's no longer have any money or supporters, that the two most powerful regions in Westeros are against her, both her children are dead, and her Jaime rejecting her.

That might actually be interesting.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Funny ppl say that Aegon and Quentyn are tangents, despite knowing nothing about the upcoming plot details

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Austrian mook posted:

Funny ppl say that Aegon and Quentyn are tangents, despite knowing nothing about the upcoming plot details

The people that do know about the plot details decided it was better to not use them at all, though, meaning they are either irrelevant in the long run or easily assimilated into another character. Take Coldhands or Jeyne Poole, for example.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The people that do know about the plot details decided it was better to not use them at all, though, meaning they are either irrelevant in the long run or easily assimilated into another character. Take Coldhands or Jeyne Poole, for example.

There is obviously a pretty general mega-plot (X ends up on the Iron Throne, Y happens with the Wall and the Others, Z happens with the Stark family) and you probably have a lot of leeway with the details. Like Aegon or Quentyn are obviously not going to end up on the Iron Throne themselves, it doesn't really mean that those plot points are entirely irrelevant. You can probably cut a ton of already introduced characters by that logic; Hodor or Pod are not likely more important that Aegon or Quentyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Nice! posted:

Or it was just too much on a TV budget.

I mean hypothetically, if Roose had defended the Wall against the Wildlings while Stannis was killed at Blackwater or whatever, would that have changed much about the overarching story? Not really. The fact that Stannis was in for so long suggests that they don't know what he's going to do, just that he won't survive at the very end of the story.

• Locked thread