Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's a very good question! I don't know, but I assume they'd drop every sixth or so frame to keep the speed right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Andrast posted:

The GBA emulation on 3DS is actually really good (basically perfect for normal use in the vast majority of games) if you have a new 3DS with low enough firmware so that homebrew can get access to the full power of the n3DS.

With newer firmwares it's pretty hit or miss though but it will probably get a lot better over time.

Nintendo is also notoriously perfectionist with its emulation so even if the power was there to run poo poo they still might not do it if they can't get it working just right.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

enojy posted:

Oh thanks, I forgot about that. I guess I should just buy one online now for store pickup tomorrow, because gently caress driving around town because all of the eBay superstars scooping them up for a pittance of profits.

This didn't work. All of my local Best Buys supposedly had "pick up today" stock, but I called them and none of them do. So much for "there'll be plenty to go around, don't buy from a scalper"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

enojy posted:

This didn't work. All of my local Best Buys supposedly had "pick up today" stock, but I called them and none of them do. So much for "there'll be plenty to go around, don't buy from a scalper"

To Yacht Club's credit, they did say that if the first printing came up short they would do a reprint.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

jivjov posted:

To Yacht Club's credit, they did say that if the first printing came up short they would do a reprint.

I just changed my order to ship, which is now backordered. I'm in no rush, though, so as long as it shows up sometime this year I guess.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

"should we give them zero mission?"
"what's that?"
"the metroid one"
"i don't know what that is. give them bayou billy"

Well, the good news is that they released all three trashy terrible zapper games at once rather than one per week. The better news is that basically any possible release is better than that week, so it's only up from here.

And yes, NOA likes to release games when other games in the series comes out, which is why I expect we'll get Star Fox 64 when Star Fox 0 comes out. (If it weren't for it's weird Super FX 2 chip I'd say Star Fox SNES as well) And yeah, probably Zero Mission when Federation Force comes out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nintendo-made games on europe Wii U VC that are still inexplicably not on NA VC

Super Mario RPG
Metroid Zero Mission (EU VC release date: March 2015!!!)
Animal Crossing Wild World
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (July 2015)
Brain Training (June 2015)
Kirby Mass Attack
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong (the actual DK94 sequel)
Waverace 64
Big Brain Academy (June 2015)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

jivjov posted:

Decent of them. My car was at the body shop longer than it was supposed to be, so I couldn't go out Friday and try to get one in a store. I ended up getting one off of eBay for about twice retail, but I predicted, possibly wrongly, that I wouldn't be able to find one here next week retail and the online price would only go up due to a predicted shortage, at least in the short term.

The transferable Custom Knight thing (I have SK digitally on the Wii U) is the first time that I've genuinely wished that I had a "New" 3DS XL. I know that there's an adapter.

quote:

Nintendo-made games on europe Wii U VC that are still inexplicably not on NA VC

Super Mario RPG
Metroid Zero Mission (EU VC release date: March 2015!!!)
Animal Crossing Wild World
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (July 2015)
Brain Training (June 2015)
Kirby Mass Attack
Kirby Canvas Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong (the actual DK94 sequel)
Waverace 64
Big Brain Academy (June 2015)

Any EU people with either Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks? I'm curious about the controls... do you just use the stylus on the Pad like you would on the Game Boy?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Still better than DSO.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

JustJeff88 posted:

The transferable Custom Knight thing (I have SK digitally on the Wii U) is the first time that I've genuinely wished that I had a "New" 3DS XL. I know that there's an adapter.

I don't think it even has the patch to work on 3DS yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

codenameFANGIO posted:

I don't think it even has the patch to work on 3DS yet.

Amiibo stuff is totally working on 3DS shovel knight.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

jivjov posted:

Amiibo stuff is totally working on 3DS shovel knight.

Oh then I am just a dumbass who couldn't figure it out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

codenameFANGIO posted:

Oh then I am just a dumbass who couldn't figure it out.

Just look for an icon on the lower screen; it'll tell you what button to press to trigger an amiibo read.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Amppelix posted:

Nintendo is also notoriously perfectionist with its emulation so even if the power was there to run poo poo they still might not do it if they can't get it working just right.

The quality excuse doesn't hold up anymore because NES/SNES on Wii U VC is very far from perfect.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The quality excuse doesn't hold up anymore because NES/SNES on Wii U VC is very far from perfect.

I'm not that picky, frankly... I just want to play Metroid: Fusion and Minish Cap on my bloody 3DS.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I didn't know Nintendo made Shin Megami Tensei!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 7):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzor (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
    Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregor (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Bombing Bastards (Wii U) - €4.99 / £? from January 14-21
    Cubemen 2 (Wii U) - €3.99 / £? from January 14-28
    Runbow (Wii U) - €10.49 / £? from January 14-30
    Unepic (Wii U) - €4.99 / £? from Januaryn 14- February ii 11

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Final Fantasy Explorers - €39.99 / £34.99 (pre-load, includes free theme until January 28)
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 (demo)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Style Boutique 2 - free!
  • Peach's Yukata
  • Rosalina's Yukata
3DS MENU THEMES
    Animal Crossing: Winter Frolic - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Fairune (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.59 until January 14
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eSjop) - €3.99 / £3.29 until January 14
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until January 15
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until January 21

These are the last of the Battle Network games for GBA... I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd rather have a demo of FF Explorers tbh

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

~decide the destiny~

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It is? I only got Super Metroid and LttP and they both seem fine. Never saw any unexpected behavior or anything.

But the N64 emulation though, that is proper hosed. It's way too dark for seemingly no reason (and when you take screenshots they show up with the proper colorization??? :psyduck:) and of course there's the good ol' PAL issues. So I guess they did give up on the quality at some point.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

PAL update (week of January 7):

I don't think FF Explorers is a pre-load, from what is being reported on other sites like Nintendo Life its just buying the licence to download the game on the eshop when it is released. It's also £30 not £35.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Any info on how many times we'll be able to run the EOU2 demo? 5? 2?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Amppelix posted:

It is? I only got Super Metroid and LttP and they both seem fine. Never saw any unexpected behavior or anything.

But the N64 emulation though, that is proper hosed. It's way too dark for seemingly no reason (and when you take screenshots they show up with the proper colorization??? :psyduck:) and of course there's the good ol' PAL issues. So I guess they did give up on the quality at some point.

I'll second Super Metroid. I bought it on the Wii U when I cashed in my Club Nintendo points, and it runs, to quote Jed Clampett, as "fine as frogs' hair"

Super Nintendo Emulation has been rock solid for years... SNES runs just about everything there is without a hitch, and Zsnes is also very stable if burdened with a very clunky interface.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Amppelix posted:

I wonder if n64 emulation has some weird property where it looks worse on modern TVs the more "accurate" it is, and Nintendo went for accuracy over usability for some dumb reason. Like there were some arcade ROMs on MAME that were tweaked a bit (i.e. made less accurate) to perform better on current PCs, but then had the optimization hacks removed (more accurate, less usable) in later releases.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Minidust posted:

I wonder if n64 emulation has some weird property where it looks worse on modern TVs the more "accurate" it is, and Nintendo went for accuracy over usability for some dumb reason. Like there were some arcade ROMs on MAME that were tweaked a bit (i.e. made less accurate) to perform better on current PCs, but then had the optimization hacks removed (more accurate, less usable) in later releases.

Bolded the key words. The N64's architecture is hosed for proper emulation. To this day, there is still not a decent N64 emulator on any system, though I suppose the guys working on CEN64 are trying to buck that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ChaosArgate posted:

Bolded the key words. The N64's architecture is hosed for proper emulation. To this day, there is still not a decent N64 emulator on any system, though I suppose the guys working on CEN64 are trying to buck that.

I tried emulating Golden Eye and had really good results, I just eventually became very frustrated with the game itself. On the other hand, I tried Mario 64 and Gauntlet Legacy, and they both looked so horrid and broken that it genuinely frightened me.

Fake Edit: Getting the controls to work well on any N64 emulator is in itself a challenge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JustJeff88 posted:

I tried emulating Golden Eye and had really good results, I just eventually became very frustrated with the game itself. On the other hand, I tried Mario 64 and Gauntlet Legacy, and they both looked so horrid and broken that it genuinely frightened me.

Fake Edit: Getting the controls to work well on any N64 emulator is in itself a challenge.

Each and every N64 game is programmed with a unique blend of insanity and despair. What works beautifully to emulate one title will make vast chunks of the rest of the N64's library likely poo poo the bed.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The best N64 emulator is Dolphin. Not even kidding.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dolphin playing N64 VC titles is better than straight up emulating the N64 games on an actual N64 emulator, yes. I remember Paper Mario being a nightmare to emulate on N64 emulators but works just fine in Dolphin.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's too bad Majora's Mask doesn't work in Dolphin yet.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

ChaosArgate posted:

I know it's been stuffed into an excavated WAD before. Does that not play on Dolphin?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

MisterAlex posted:

I know it's been stuffed into an excavated WAD before. Does that not play on Dolphin?

I've only ever tried the official WADs. The NTSC US one crashes on the classic controller message, the PAL one fares slightly better but can't get past the title screen.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The best N64 emulator is Dolphin. Not even kidding.

I'll keep that in mind. Ive never used Dolphin for N64 (or Gamecube), but I did emulate NSMBWii and Punch-Out! on it with great success. I just had to turn AA off or the frame rate would plummet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wonder if capcom is gonna release Megaman Star Force next? The third one was legit good. The first one was extremely easy to break and the second was awful.

MMSF had a boss who forced people to dance until they died, and MMSF2 had a boss who kidnapped your friends and tickled them. It was really dumb.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

You should play the remake anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Amppelix posted:

You should play the remake anyway.

I already did though. I was trying to get it to work in Dolphin because it's cheaper to record video off of Dolphin than it is to record off of a console or a modded 3DS.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Speaking of N64 VC, was planning on getting Paper Mario for my nephews on Wii U, is that a bad idea?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
From Nintendo's JP blog, another perk of the Nintendo Account: if your Nintendo Account & NNID are linked and you have email notifications turned on, you'll be given unspecified (and probably trivial) software discounts on the month of your birthday.

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/b583f367-b59b-11e5-8b9c-0a6d14145cb1.html

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Cicero posted:

Speaking of N64 VC, was planning on getting Paper Mario for my nephews on Wii U, is that a bad idea?

That is the complete opposite of a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

if your Nintendo Account & NNID are linked

Oh, bloody hell, aren't those two supposed to be the same? Why make it confusing by making them separate to the point you'll need to link them?

I understood that Club Nintendo was old as poo poo and the 3DS was before the account system so both had to be linked with NNID. But that logic doesn't make sense here: link an account system with another account system? :nintendo:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 12, 2016