Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

SoS heavily rewards trading with other players to get silver/gold to upgrade your gear - especially the hammer since that helps get better ore. Post here when you start needing those because they take years to unlock in game and I'll be happy to trade you any spare ore I still have.

Just got the game and aside from the tedious tutorial I'm really enjoying it so far. I'll take you up on this offer once I get to that point!

I'm playing on seedling mode after reading up on what it changes and definitely don't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Bokujou Monogatari/Story Of Seasons/Real Harvest Moon #4335456 for 3DS! http://www.famitsu.com/news/201601/12096993.html

I guess the gimmick is three villages?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 12, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

New Bokujou Monogatari/Story Of Seasons/Real Harvest Moon #4335456 for 3DS! http://www.famitsu.com/news/201601/12096993.html

I guess the gimmick is three villages?

:toot: Finally~ a true sequel to Tale of Two Towns!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I just got Story of Season and now I'm Harvesting all the loving Moons, I'm loving how chilled out the pace is at the beginning of the game instead of the goddamn frantic pace of the SNES version and Wonderful Life early on. (Where building a capital base early is super important)

Are there any hilarious rookie traps I need to look out for? I'm already saving iron for a pitchfork and trying to fish up bricks for the seed maker. I elected against saving 5 milk for the immediate horse since Milk was in demand for my entire second week but I'm going for that now.

Secondly, I'm sitting at a rough capital base of about 5k after the first week, is it worth spending that on fertiliser when I can't make new seeds yet or is it the same as basically every Harvest Moon wherein fertiliser is completely useless until you can make seeds?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I just got Story of Season and now I'm Harvesting all the loving Moons, I'm loving how chilled out the pace is at the beginning of the game instead of the goddamn frantic pace of the SNES version and Wonderful Life early on. (Where building a capital base early is super important)

Are there any hilarious rookie traps I need to look out for? I'm already saving iron for a pitchfork and trying to fish up bricks for the seed maker. I elected against saving 5 milk for the immediate horse since Milk was in demand for my entire second week but I'm going for that now.

Secondly, I'm sitting at a rough capital base of about 5k after the first week, is it worth spending that on fertiliser when I can't make new seeds yet or is it the same as basically every Harvest Moon wherein fertiliser is completely useless until you can make seeds?

yeah, don't bother fertilizing until you've got a seed maker.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you want to start on the road to crop improvement you want to keep 5 Turnip seeds around once you finally fish up 5 bricks from the creek. You don't really want to burn fertiliser before this on seasonal crops beyond a single harvest so you can dry that initial one for next season, and you can get a head start on any trees you plant.

Get in the habit of storing up all your harvest for conquest opportunities and sell off heavily during that time.

Before you burn your hard-earned gold ore on a watering can, put it in your hammer first. For some godawful reason they didn't tell you that upgrading that tool will increase the rarity of the items from the mine once you have the Safari unlocked in the Fall. And you will be so heavily reliant on getting more loving gold ore.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

is it the same as basically every Harvest Moon wherein fertiliser is completely useless until you can make seeds?

Yup.

In terms of beginner traps I can't think of many except MAKE SURE TO SAVE 5 TURNIP SEEDS FOR AFTER SPRING ENDS. You need them to make the seed maker but there's no sensible way to acquire them outside of spring. I didn't have any when I unlocked the seed maker and had to wait for year 2 for spring to roll around again. :negative:

e: beaten on both fronts. Only other advice is to consider starting a fodder field early on and shipping all the fodder you harvest each day. You need to ship a boatload of various things to unlock some venders much later and fodder counts towards that total.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 12, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

dijon du jour posted:

Yup.

In terms of beginner traps I can't think of many except MAKE SURE TO SAVE 5 TURNIP SEEDS FOR AFTER SPRING ENDS. You need them to make the seed maker but there's no sensible way to acquire them outside of spring. I didn't have any when I unlocked the seed maker and had to wait for year 2 for spring to roll around again. :negative:

e: beaten on both fronts. Only other advice is to consider starting a fodder field early on and shipping all the fodder you harvest each day. You need to ship a boatload of various things to unlock some venders much later and fodder counts towards that total.

Oh poo poo you need to ship fodder? I've got like 200 sat in my storage because I planted 3 grass fields on my first day.

I've got the turnips saved so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've read that watering plants twice makes them grow faster, but I've no idea of whether what I'm doing is working since they appear wet at 6 in the evening even after I watered them at 7 in the morning.

How do conquests work? Why should I be saving my harvests for them given I need to make cash on them for my seedmaker? (I guess my real question is should I prioritise seedmaker above saving things until I get it, or save things prior to seedmaker?)

Finally, I have 4 peach trees which I planted (hopefully) in time for them to bloom in Summer, should I be dumping fertiliser on them? Oh and should I water them because they don't seem to react to it?

Too many questions!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 12, 2016

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Conquests come in multiple flavors. Volume shipped and profit are the usual ones, I think there was a variety shipped one and another I forget entirely too. Usually I would just hoard a large quantity of stuff prior to a conquest day and then unload it all then. Later, once I got the textile shop and the specialty field that you can grow flax on, I just churned out golden cloth and sold a stack or so of that on profit conquests.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Good chance I'l pick up the new harvest moon even if it is mediocre just because it's on mobile. I've always wanted a mobile harvest moon and I don't like to emulate it because I feel the controls are awkward with the emulators for that type of game. Also I'm surprised at how many questions Natsume is answering on the facebook post.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oh poo poo you need to ship fodder? I've got like 200 sat in my storage because I planted 3 grass fields on my first day.

Not need, per se, but to unlock one of the later venders you need to, among other things, ship 15,000 farm products (10,500 in seedling mode), and fodder counts as a farm product. Since it grows back every day, and doesn't need to be watered, it provides a nice early boost to your shipping progress while you're still getting your farm set up.

(As a side note, fodder is also the easiest way to grind out the processed goods and seeds shipping requirements. Dried fodder counts as processed goods, and fodder seeds count as seeds (duh), so when you get your seed maker, you may want to switch to turning your fodder into dried fodder and shipping it, and letting your regular crop shipments take over for the farm product requirement)

Note that you don't really have to bother with this business with the fodder if you don't want to, you can achieve it just the same with regular crops, fodder is just the fastest method. I do it but I've played so many Harvest Moons I just powergame out of habit at this point.

As for the peach trees, you can fertilize them now if you want higher-star peaches ASAP, but don't worry too much about missing out. Even when the trees are fully grown you can fertilize them every day to improve the quality of the next crop of fruit even more. Same goes for any crop that bears fruit multiple times, like strawberries.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Can I pretend Return to PopoloCrois is a Rune Factory or will it be too Level 5/cutesy to be the right kind of weird anime?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I know nothing about popolocrois other than that it's character design puts me in mind of off brand Lego figures

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

From hearsay, it sounds like it's more popolocrois than harvest moon. Still, this guy at xseed really loved the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Goddamn, I managed to sell all my disposable ore and get 40k by Spring 15. Bought my seedmaker, had all my bricks and turnip seeds.

And then I realised that I needed 15 lumber and didn't have any. My face.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

So far it looks like the villages are Japan Town and American Wild West Town.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 13, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Goddamn, I managed to sell all my disposable ore and get 40k by Spring 15. Bought my seedmaker, had all my bricks and turnip seeds.

And then I realised that I needed 15 lumber and didn't have any. My face.

That's easily fixed fortunately. Just some stamina and some spinning axework and tada, lumber.

Now Black Lumber is another problem entirely. :v:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TurnipFritter posted:

So far it looks like the villages are Japan Town and American Wild West Town.

Awesome! Pretty curious about what the third town's theme is. I wonder if they'll each have a different focus like ToTT, although I'm betting that would aspect wouldn't be popular...

Screenshots look pretty but I'd still love to see them do something in real nice hires 2d art one day

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
My guess would be Europe town, since those 3 aesthetics seem to be their usual settings

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Blhue posted:

My guess would be Europe town, since those 3 aesthetics seem to be their usual settings

That's definitely the first thing that springs to mind

I can't believe it took SoS so long to come to Australia that there's already another one announced... I mean, I can believe it but still

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories (iOS) is out now, $10 and possibly no IAP?

https://www.facebook.com/NatsumeInc/videos/10153755358438397/

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 14, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Seeds of Memories for iOS is indeed out, $11.99 in Canada. I do not have it, I do not have an apple device.

Not on Google Play yet.

Isn't this the first official Harvest Moon game releasing on a platform other than one used specifically for playing games? I mean it's coming to PC as well. I don't expect oodles of depth from this title, but it will fill the void of wanting a Harvest Moon game on your phone/tablet that's not just emulated.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

IAmTheRad posted:

Isn't this the first official Harvest Moon game releasing on a platform other than one used specifically for playing games? I mean it's coming to PC as well. I don't expect oodles of depth from this title, but it will fill the void of wanting a Harvest Moon game on your phone/tablet that's not just emulated.

Marvelous did a social media game for Bokujou ala Farmville awhile back, it was Japan-only and has since closed down. Natsume itself made a puzzle game that got on mobile shops, Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming. That bit of goonsayery aside, this is the first outright HM game that Natsume has prepared for mobile and PC, yes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Harvest Moon: Seeds of Memories (iOS) is out now, $10 and possibly no IAP?

https://www.facebook.com/NatsumeInc/videos/10153755358438397/

Downloading now. I'll report back.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They said android is coming later so don't expect it today.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Frantic Farming is a port of the DS game. Ports don't really count unless they added features. They tore features out, like the story mode.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I put a little time (~1 hour) into Seeds of Memories and while it's hard to judge at this point, I like how quickly it gets going compared to the recent Bokujou games - there's no long tutorials or dripfeeding abilities, it pretty much just dumps a bunch of tools/seeds on you and leaves you to get started. Controls are tap-based: tap somewhere to move there, tap crops to use contextual tools, switch between tool/convo menus by tapping a button in the corner of the screen, etc. No issues there.

A lot of the game is cribbed from Lost Valley - the characters and music seem identical, the contextual tool system is back, it seems like features like crop mutation and the weather work very similarly, etc. (Annoyingly, time still goes by really fast, but it does pause when you're in buildings now). There is a mine and I only tried it for a few floors but it seems pretty similar to what I remember from Mineral Town. I didn't really touch any of the character-based stuff but it seems gift-giving is back (one of the NPCs told me a few likes/dislikes).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You get music? I don't have any sound for some reason.

Googled it. Apparently having my phone on vibrate mutes some app's sound and not others. :shrug:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 15, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so in SoS, once I've grown tomatoes do I need to keep watering them to keep them producing fruit for the rest of the season?

Also how many milk treats does it take for a cow to actually start producing more milk? I've dumped like 25 into Hanako with no results.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay so in SoS, once I've grown tomatoes do I need to keep watering them to keep them producing fruit for the rest of the season?

Also how many milk treats does it take for a cow to actually start producing more milk? I've dumped like 25 into Hanako with no results.

Yes you do, aside from trees, reharvestables need to be watered even past maturity.

And I forget, but a lot. iirc, the species specific treats give the animals more progress towards increased yields than the generic ones though, if you've just been using those.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You can check the animal status book and there will be a little bar that shows your progress for the treats. It's pretty slow going though.

Blhue posted:

The third town is a tropical town.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Blhue posted:

Yes you do, aside from trees, reharvestables need to be watered even past maturity.

And I forget, but a lot. iirc, the species specific treats give the animals more progress towards increased yields than the generic ones though, if you've just been using those.

Secondary question then, is there any advantage to watering the tomatoes twice a day after they've started producing fruit?

I ask because I've pretty badly overstretched myself in summer 1. I have something like 15 tomatoes growing alongside 5 trees, a patch of soya beans for competition purposes (they take ages to grow and grow all season meaning I can fertilise them a tonne for high crop value) and 18 onions. I basically work myself to complete exhaustion by collecting milk and watering them all once.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Secondary question then, is there any advantage to watering the tomatoes twice a day after they've started producing fruit?

I ask because I've pretty badly overstretched myself in summer 1. I have something like 15 tomatoes growing alongside 5 trees, a patch of soya beans for competition purposes (they take ages to grow and grow all season meaning I can fertilise them a tonne for high crop value) and 18 onions. I basically work myself to complete exhaustion by collecting milk and watering them all once.

I'm pretty sure double watering helps each harvest happen faster, yes. You can skip the second watering if you want to, but they'll mature a bit slower. Consider looking up the stamina regeneration jewelry sets to see if you can make any of those yet, even the lowest set helps a ton with those issues.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Watering twice a day cuts growth times by a day or two at most usually. Most of the time it is not worth it if you are either stamina or time constrained. Remember that you can eat as much as you want to get stamina back.

More than even most Harvest Moon games, optimizing isn't really beneficial. A lot of stuff is time locked so there's no reason not to take it easy.

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It takes about ~27 moo-moo treats I think for a cow to produce 2 milk, it goes up by 1 for every 1/4th of the snack bar filled.

LLSix posted:

SoS heavily rewards trading with other players to get silver/gold to upgrade your gear - especially the hammer since that helps get better ore. Post here when you start needing those because they take years to unlock in game and I'll be happy to trade you any spare ore I still have.

I appreciate the offer, although I'm doing alright for gold so far. What I really need is a Cocoa fruit for reasons. If anyone can spare one please let me know what you might want in exchange.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I put a little time (~1 hour) into Seeds of Memories and while it's hard to judge at this point, I like how quickly it gets going compared to the recent Bokujou games - there's no long tutorials or dripfeeding abilities, it pretty much just dumps a bunch of tools/seeds on you and leaves you to get started. Controls are tap-based: tap somewhere to move there, tap crops to use contextual tools, switch between tool/convo menus by tapping a button in the corner of the screen, etc. No issues there.

A lot of the game is cribbed from Lost Valley - the characters and music seem identical, the contextual tool system is back, it seems like features like crop mutation and the weather work very similarly, etc. (Annoyingly, time still goes by really fast, but it does pause when you're in buildings now). There is a mine and I only tried it for a few floors but it seems pretty similar to what I remember from Mineral Town. I didn't really touch any of the character-based stuff but it seems gift-giving is back (one of the NPCs told me a few likes/dislikes).

That's a huge plus. Story of Seasons easing in and terribly long tutorial really hampered my enjoyment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Arcland posted:

That's a huge plus. Story of Seasons easing in and terribly long tutorial really hampered my enjoyment.

Everything about it is fast, not just the intro - the in-game clock is fast (just like in Lost Valley, but it does now pause indoors), stamina drains quite quickly (but you have access to a hot spring from very early on), etc. It's about as quick as it could be without being too fast, which is fine by me.

There's no getting over the graphics, though - they're totally unappealing and if you told me they were alpha placeholders I'd probably believe you. There's also a lot of cut/paste with building interiors and whatnot, and it can be tough to do things when you have the camera zoomed out.

Anyway, it seems like an ugly but completely serviceable game in the mold of the early Bokujou games (Mineral Town and earlier) and I'm curious to see what's different about the Wii U/PC version.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Everything about it is fast, not just the intro - the in-game clock is fast (just like in Lost Valley, but it does now pause indoors), stamina drains quite quickly (but you have access to a hot spring from very early on), etc. It's about as quick as it could be without being too fast, which is fine by me.

There's no getting over the graphics, though - they're totally unappealing and if you told me they were alpha placeholders I'd probably believe you. There's also a lot of cut/paste with building interiors and whatnot, and it can be tough to do things when you have the camera zoomed out.

Anyway, it seems like an ugly but completely serviceable game in the mold of the early Bokujou games (Mineral Town and earlier) and I'm curious to see what's different about the Wii U/PC version.

Yeah I like to a certain extent the return to the older looks. As I haven't liked the newer style. But I feel that the actual character sprites need an upgrade. The graphics quality of everything else feels sufficient for me.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I can't believe Seeds of Memories has individual seed plots. SoS style 3x3 grids got it exactly right and this feels like a step backwards.

Has anyone figured out how to build the bridge yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

LLSix posted:

I can't believe Seeds of Memories has individual seed plots. SoS style 3x3 grids got it exactly right and this feels like a step backwards.

Has anyone figured out how to build the bridge yet?

Remember that they're aping the SNES/PS1/GBA games since Lost Valley didn't do so well and that this is a different team from the Bokujou/SoS crew, so it's not gonna have a lot of the stuff that SoS has added over the years. I'm curious to know if they crammed in a lot of secrets like the early games did though since that was also one of the neat aspects of the earlier games.

• Locked thread