Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

i81icu812 posted:

I know Disney needs to make their investment pay off, but did ANYONE really want to see a Young Han Solo?

This is one situation where I cannot see them changing much from the EU. Han's backstory is kind of a moot point to begin with, but what is there is pretty much exactly what you'd do for a prequel anyways. Minus Sal Solo of course. Han's just a street urchin who joined the Empire and then rebelled when he was told to kill a wookiee slave named Chewbacca. They go on the run and have merry adventures. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So after rewatching the force awakens, I'm curious. What happened to Anakin's lightsaber in the old EU? I know his clone had it, and then he gave ut to Mara. What ever happened to it afterwards?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

So after rewatching the force awakens, I'm curious. What happened to Anakin's lightsaber in the old EU? I know his clone had it, and then he gave ut to Mara. What ever happened to it afterwards?

Mara Jade used it until her death at which point Luke enshrined it, according to Wookiepedia.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is one situation where I cannot see them changing much from the EU. Han's backstory is kind of a moot point to begin with, but what is there is pretty much exactly what you'd do for a prequel anyways. Minus Sal Solo of course. Han's just a street urchin who joined the Empire and then rebelled when he was told to kill a wookiee slave named Chewbacca. They go on the run and have merry adventures. The end.

The main problem with this backstory is that it ties into the Legends depiction of the Empire as human supremacists, which makes it weird that the First Order is led by an alien.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

The main problem with this backstory is that it ties into the Legends depiction of the Empire as human supremacists, which makes it weird that the First Order is led by an alien.

They can be racists towards some kinds of aliens, like the ones that can't speak whatever language everyone speaks in place of English.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Also Snoke might just be a super-hosed up human, we don't really know.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Snoke being an alien might also be unknown to most of the First Order. Or they look down on some aliens but not others.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Apparently, in Before the Awakening, it's mentioned that a lot of labor camps in First Order space primarily use non-humans. Also supposedly from the visual dictionary: Snoke and Kylo were together before they joined the First Order. So Snoke became the leader, but didn't create it. Maybe First Order propaganda portrays Snoke as a regular human? Or they just conveniently ignore it because they'll be visited by the Space Gestapo if they question it.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 12, 2016

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Strobe posted:

You should go back in time to 1979 and stop the the book series from happening. It would be roughly as beneficial as whining about it on an internet comedy forum.

But that's my point. Those books were terrible!

Really, I don't care what Disney does with their new IP, but I can't see how elaborating on Han's two sentence backstory adds anything.

'Han's just a street urchin who joined the Empire and then rebelled when he was told to kill a wookiee slave named Chewbacca. They go on the run and have merry adventures. The end.'

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Or the First Order doesn't publicize Snoke at all and their public face is a Council of Moffs or something? Shot in the dark here as I've read none of the new EU stuff

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I read an interview with Kasdan recently, and to paraphrase what I remember, he said something along the lines of " Nobody wants a Han Solo origin story, so were making a movie about a younger Han Solo, not a young Han Solo."

Edit: Here is what he said

“It will not be here’s where he was born and this is how he was raised,” said Kasdan during an interview with Empire Magazine. “I think what it will be is, what was he like 10 years earlier, maybe a little earlier, you’ll get a glimpse. But [Akira] Kurosawa once said the heroes are the ones that are still changing and the villains are locked and petrified into what they are. And Harrison embodies in Force Awakens someone who is still not settled on who he is.”

http://nerdist.com/lawrence-kasdan-reveals-when-han-solo-film-will-take-place/

https://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 12, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

i81icu812 posted:

But that's my point. Those books were terrible!
You have poor taste.

I'm mostly against sticking any old actor into a role that's probably going to be 20 year old Han when Harrison Ford so clearly owns 30 year old Han and onwards. Also not a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe strategy of putting out subpar movies at a regular interval to keep things rolling.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That is the doom of open ended franchises. We will never see a satisfying ending to either Marvel or Star Wars. They will ride the money train until no one wants on anymore, and only then will it end. Not that old Star Wars was any better, considering what this thread is about.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

You have poor taste.

If you want to argue EU Han backstory novels had any merit, argue for the AC Crispin books, not the Brian Daley dreck!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I listened to the first two AC Crispin Han Solo books on tape on a long car trip and they were surprisingly pretty decent! So now I've found some actual decent EU books that aren't Thrawn or X-Wing.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
They should go with someone who looks like a young Burt Reynolds or Tom Selleck to play young Solo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Snoke is Thrawn: a near-human leading an entirely human Imperial Remnant. He's a little more non-human than Thrawn in appearance but not all that much.

Kinda wish they'd just stuck with Thrawn considering they went ahead and used the Unknown Region as First Order territory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jazerus posted:

Snoke is Thrawn: a near-human leading an entirely human Imperial Remnant. He's a little more non-human than Thrawn in appearance but not all that much.

Kinda wish they'd just stuck with Thrawn considering they went ahead and used the Unknown Region as First Order territory.

Snoke is pretty heavy entrenched in The Force and Sith/Jedi stuff. It wouldn't make much sense to use Thrawn for that role unless you changed his character entirely and in that case why not just make a new character?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Snoke is pretty heavy entrenched in The Force and Sith/Jedi stuff. It wouldn't make much sense to use Thrawn for that role unless you changed his character entirely and in that case why not just make a new character?
Pretty much. I don't know if Thrawn as a character would work in the new continuity, the non-EU New Republic so far doesn't seem like they could have stood up to him.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

True. If Snoke isn't the founder of the First Order, though, maybe Thrawn was?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jazerus posted:

True. If Snoke isn't the founder of the First Order, though, maybe Thrawn was?

I could see Thrawn working well as the chief of the First Order's military, playing a Tarkin role - less of a personal threat to the heroes, but a crushing threat to the heroes' allies.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

There's a 30 year time period between ROTJ and TFA so I'd imagine Thrawn will show up at some point between that. They seem to be avoid EU material that takes place after Jakku to TFA's time so they don't step on the movies' toes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

There's a 30 year time period between ROTJ and TFA so I'd imagine Thrawn will show up at some point between that. They seem to be avoid EU material that takes place after Jakku to TFA's time so they don't step on the movies' toes.

They'd basically have to do redo the entire story which doesn't strike me as a great idea even if they get Zahn to do it (and Zahn wanting to just retell Thrawn feels unlikely.) Considering a major part of the story if the birth of Jacen and Jaina and the fate of Luke Skywalker's lightsaber it's kind of hard to just handwave it as "well, it fits well enough."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I can't see Thrawn being a big deal in movies regardless. My impression of Thrawn is that in the books he was supposed to be a BBEG for all the non-Force characters. If TFA is precedent, then Snoke and Ren are going to be the main antagonists of the trilogy. As such, I doubt we'll see any Thrawn-like character in a role beyond chief military honcho who takes orders from the main villains and is more a threat to the heroes' allies and good guy mooks than a threat to the heroes per se.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They'd basically have to do redo the entire story which doesn't strike me as a great idea even if they get Zahn to do it (and Zahn wanting to just retell Thrawn feels unlikely.) Considering a major part of the story if the birth of Jacen and Jaina and the fate of Luke Skywalker's lightsaber it's kind of hard to just handwave it as "well, it fits well enough."

Yeah, I'm saying I'd expect Thrawn to be in a new story, not making the old books canon again.

The tricky part however is that the war ends a year after Endor and there are no major hostilities between Jakku and TFA so that kind of torpedoes a lot of potential stories set in the 30 year gap between movies. The 20+ year war of the old EU was a bit excessive but I was hoping that it would last a little longer than the Rebels winning just 1 year after Endor.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I'm saying I'd expect Thrawn to be in a new story, not making the old books canon again.

The tricky part however is that the war ends a year after Endor and there are no major hostilities between Jakku and TFA so that kind of torpedoes a lot of potential stories set in the 30 year gap between movies. The 20+ year war of the old EU was a bit excessive but I was hoping that it would last a little longer than the Rebels winning just 1 year after Endor.

On the other hand, that's a lot of space for smaller scale stories. Not everything needs to be tied in to galaxy spanning conflicts. While it wasn't the best book, look at Ruins of Dantooine, which was tangential at best to the Galactic Civil War. Or Coruscant Nights, or even some of the side stories that pop up in the Wraith Squadron books. Things just kinda happening in the Star Wars universe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I honestly want to see some films set in either Hutt Space between the backstabbing Kajidics, or in the Corporate Sector. Just in the lawless regions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I honestly want to see some films set in either Hutt Space between the backstabbing Kajidics, or in the Corporate Sector. Just in the lawless regions.

Star Wars meets space Deadwood.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thrawn doesn't work very well in the new continuity. He nearly wins against a New Republic that isn't largely disarmed and actually willing to confront him.

I wonder exactly what "no major conflicts" means. Does that mean you can't have a warlord crisis or something of that nature. If so they've kind of hemmed themselves in for a period that ought to be the easiest to write stories in.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Star Wars meets space Deadwood.
There are rumors of an Obi-Wan movie with McGregor, so something along the lines of Kenobistarts to sound more plausible.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 13, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

What I imagine if they'll do Cold War style conflicts with little proxy wars. Thrawn doesn't fit into that setting all that well because he's basically Space-Rommel who excels at big sweeping military campaigns.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Also, for you fellow SWG nerd veterans here is an interesting article about the early development and the constant struggle with the whole Jedi thing in game....

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I dunno, I think you could still do Thrawn in the new continuity, but make him a renegade Admiral who rejected the formation of the First Order. Same character, just change his enemies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gammatron 64 posted:

What I imagine if they'll do Cold War style conflicts with little proxy wars. Thrawn doesn't fit into that setting all that well because he's basically Space-Rommel who excels at big sweeping military campaigns.

More pointedly, he's Space-Sherlock Holmes with Pellaeon as Space-Watson. I could buy him showing up and Leia being "This guy is WHY we aren't openly fighting the First Order."

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, I think you could still do Thrawn in the new continuity, but make him a renegade Admiral who rejected the formation of the First Order. Same character, just change his enemies.

I admit it would fit with the whole "goodish bad guy" thing he had going by the end of the Legends EU (as opposed to the "competent but still definitely a bad guy" thing he had in the original novels) to have Thrawn be somebody opposed to both the good guys and the bad guys. The fact the First Order seems definitely to be an ideology over sense organization, it makes sense more rational Imperials could break away from it but not "sell out" to the Republic. Thrawn probably could be used for the whole "Cold War" thing between ROTJ and TFA easy enough, he had a lot of clever espionage bits going on with him in the later EU writings, he doesn't have to be "Space Rommel" to work judging by those. If anything, being a ridiculously crafty tactician probably works better in a Cold War chess-game style setup.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been going back through the Thrawn trilogy on audible again just cause. One of the best things about Hand of Thrawn is the bickering among the conspirators, and it slowly dawning on Disra what a mess his plans are in. This time through the trilogy I realized that Thrawn really has the same sort of thing happen to him. Brilliant as he is getting involved with C'baoth has the effect of wrecking his plans several times, and the benefits are pretty nil in comparison.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually, multiple Imperial Warlords fighting small proxy wars in the 30 years between Endor and Force Awakens would be a great way to explain the New Republic being caught off guard. They'd have fought dozens of engagements against Imperial holdouts with relative success that a sense of arrogance emerges and they refuse to acknowledge just how dangerous the First Order is in comparison. They think it's just another military junta (which it is), but fail to see that it has a giant fuckoff death cannon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or they tried to fight the First Order and Thrawn handed the Republic its rear end on a platter, so the Republic is unwilling to fight the First Order openly unless something significant changes.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Take the Kanjiklub/Raid guys and tell them to go spacehogwild on the gangster fights.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

I've been going back through the Thrawn trilogy on audible again just cause. One of the best things about Hand of Thrawn is the bickering among the conspirators, and it slowly dawning on Disra what a mess his plans are in. This time through the trilogy I realized that Thrawn really has the same sort of thing happen to him. Brilliant as he is getting involved with C'baoth has the effect of wrecking his plans several times, and the benefits are pretty nil in comparison.

Really, the only reason his plans failed is that he made the mistake of sending Noghri after Vader's daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
For those who have read Aftermath, I was wondering if whomever Sloane was talking to at the end was based on Thrawn. It's been a while since I read it but didn't it pretty much say he set everything up to test them and get rid of the riff raff?