Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I find the weird mouse acceleration in the Steam version to be weird. If that's even what it is. I dunno, aiming just feels off with a mouse and I played RE 5 and RE 6 and both Revelations games just fine using the mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I find the weird mouse acceleration in the Steam version to be weird. If that's even what it is. I dunno, aiming just feels off with a mouse and I played RE 5 and RE 6 and both Revelations games just fine using the mouse.

I think the default mouse look option is a bit wonky - have you tried the other one?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Revelations 1+2 and 6 mouse aim was weird as gently caress unless you disabled a certain option (mouse/aim smoothing?).

I played through 4 HD but I don't remember if there was a similar option there.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guillermus posted:

I'm still playing RE4 and I'm in the castle. Just beat the blind dude that goes after the bells. Does the game improve? I'm not liking the castle so far compared to the previous sections, still, the game is fantastic but playing with actual mouse aiming. This had to be really annoying to aim with a controller.

Outside of a few setpieces, no, the game gets worse from there actually as you'll be in the castle for quite awhile and the section after that is the worst in the game.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Why do people seem hate the Island in RE4? I prefer it to the latter half of Castle chapters (and by that I mean the mines). Is it cause of the enemies, the location itself, or something else?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I'm still playing RE4 and I'm in the castle. Just beat the blind dude that goes after the bells. Does the game improve? I'm not liking the castle so far compared to the previous sections, still, the game is fantastic but playing with actual mouse aiming. This had to be really annoying to aim with a controller.

If you don't like the game so far, nothing's gonna change your opinion. Also, using a controller actually makes the game challenging, if mouse aim is anything like using a Wiimote it makes the game infinitely easier, and also makes the TMP a gun worth using.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In It For The Tank posted:

Why do people seem hate the Island in RE4? I prefer it to the latter half of Castle chapters (and by that I mean the mines). Is it cause of the enemies, the location itself, or something else?

The island location itself does feel a bit disconnected from everything that came before.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

I hate that it has enemies with miniguns and cattle prods. It feels too modern for me.

Also the Krauser QTE section is awful.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Krauser QTEs ate pretty easy imo, but what's funny is that his actual boss fight is like the easiest one in the game.

You can knife him to death in about 25 seconds.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

When I played through the Island I felt like everything was too powerful. You were a walking arsenal with maxed weapons and the enemies were designed with that in mind and it just feels like...there's a weird power imbalance? Power Creep?

I didn't mind the parts with the regenerators/iron maidens in the more lab-like areas, but the sound design just make me want to leap out of skin.

seconding the mini-guns and cattle prods feeling to modern

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

If you don't like the game so far, nothing's gonna change your opinion. Also, using a controller actually makes the game challenging, if mouse aim is anything like using a Wiimote it makes the game infinitely easier, and also makes the TMP a gun worth using.

Don't get me wrong, I'm liking the game, just being in the castle is what is boring for me. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, the stupid plot (looks like a common thing on all RE I've played) and Ashley being the ultimate enemy on the game since it's the longest scort mission ever made.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just shove her in a bin somewhere

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Reporting after finishing the Marhawa Desire manga: could've been worse. It definitely feels like RE6, for better or worse. I'd probably be interested in seeing what happens to Ricky going forward, but like Carlos and Billy before him we'll probably never hear of him again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just take the fire extinguisher with you in code Veronica. Trust me and thank me later.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's only a rumor for now but speak of the loving devil.

http://www.ggsgamer.com/2016/01/09/rumor-resident-evil-outbreak-hd-coming-this-year/

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Son Ryo posted:

If you don't have enough ammo to beat a certain boss there's a very real possibility you'll have to redo the first half and save more ammo.

The seaplane? You don't need any ammo at all if you can manipulate things in the small space

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Didn't this rumor come out last year and then get squashed when Capcom announced Umbrella Corps.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CVX: I found that set of guns that allows Claire to shoot two zombies at once across the room and it is awesome! Claire is like the smartest RE protagonist now.

I found Steve again and he still sucks. "Is your brother Chris Redfield? Bah he could never save us! Don't even bother contacting him using this computer that has internet access! gently caress this gay earth!" *leaves*

FanaticalMilk posted:

Didn't this rumor come out last year and then get squashed when Capcom announced Umbrella Corps.

It's the first I've heard of it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 11, 2016

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

There was that one company making a RE2 Remake and then Capcom had them visit their studio and shortly after announced an official remake.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ChrisXP posted:

The seaplane? You don't need any ammo at all if you can manipulate things in the small space

Easily the hardest RE boss out there simply because of the limited room and the gimmick. But, if you save the bow gas rounds for him, he is a pushover.

So... save your bow gas rounds for him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Apparently two new costumes have been added to RE0 HD, based on old concept art for Rebecca.

blackguy32 posted:

Easily the hardest RE boss out there simply because of the limited room and the gimmick. But, if you save the bow gas rounds for him, he is a pushover.

So... save your bow gas rounds for him.

I shall do so!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are these costumes and the other ones instantly available or is it Clothes Closet New Game+ stuff? Or does anyone even know?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Seeing someone else wear Jill's uniform just feels so unnatural. These are the STARS, no one is supposed to have any kind of coordination whatsoever.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Are these costumes and the other ones instantly available or is it Clothes Closet New Game+ stuff? Or does anyone even know?

I saw someone streaming an early access copy today, and they were able to switch between all of the costumes. Apparently there's like a secret costume menu that's activated by playing around with the personal items (lighter/herb kit) in the inventory? I know it's weird but that's what I saw.

Also I think that only the beret costume is based on concept art – or in this case, from an unfinished version of a game - Resident Evil 0 on the N64. The others are: REmake (2002), Resident Evil (initial release, 1996), and Resident Evil: Director's Cut (1997).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really like seeing how each character took their own path over the years.

Chris became Angry BoulderMcPunchFist and I'm pretty sure by the next installment he'll communicate entirely using grunts and yelling the names of dead comrades. Leon decided that if he was going to get trapped in B-movies then by gum he was going to become a B-movie action star and he did. And Claire is just So Sick of this poo poo.

Jill... uh... does Jill have a personality now? Did she ever?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Pureauthor posted:

I really like seeing how each character took their own path over the years.

Chris became Angry BoulderMcPunchFist and I'm pretty sure by the next installment he'll communicate entirely using grunts and yelling the names of dead comrades. Leon decided that if he was going to get trapped in B-movies then by gum he was going to become a B-movie action star and he did. And Claire is just So Sick of this poo poo.

Jill... uh... does Jill have a personality now? Did she ever?

It's a little hard to say because we haven't seen anything of what she's been up to since RE5, but around Revelations I'd say she's the most 'professional' of the bunch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jill is the one who is basically capable of doing her job while people are her are insane.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Jill is an absolute idiot in RE1/REmake, but during/after RE3 she gets a lot less dumb as the writing gets less ridiculous. So yeah, she's pretty no-nonsense, professional, etc. She's a little dull, but she knows what she's doing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would say she's incredibly stupid by virtue of RE3 existing at all. She knew an outbreak was going to happen, but she... stayed in her apartment and waited until it was on fire before deciding to leave.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jill's special talent is unlocking, duh.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I got early code on RE0 HD Edition, and only now am I starting to understand some people's frothing distaste for it. Back in the day, one of my first professional writing jobs was a walkthrough of the game for the now-defunct NGC magazine, so there was a time where I knew it inside and out.

Going through it more or less cold 14 years later, I'm wrestling with the "zapping" system and inventory issues more than I ever did back then. It's aged incredibly poorly, although it's still a surprisingly good-looking game.

Momomo posted:

I would say she's incredibly stupid by virtue of RE3 existing at all. She knew an outbreak was going to happen, but she... stayed in her apartment and waited until it was on fire before deciding to leave.

Not quite. If you unlock and read Jill's Diary, she had found out about the access tunnels to Birkin's laboratory under the city and was going to infiltrate them before she left town. She had a pretty good idea that something bad was going to happen, but didn't think there was going to be a full-scale outbreak.

Unfortunately, they later tweaked the timeline; the original concept behind RE3 was that she was caught out on the street when the zombies hit, raced home to get her sidearm, and then shot her way out of her apartment building with nothing more than what she happened to be wearing at the time. Then Outbreak happens, and day one of RE3 ends up being day six of the overall outbreak in the new timeline, so Jill looks retroactively dumber.

Of the primary cast, Jill's probably the least explored at this point. Revelations makes her seem a bit generically stoic, but incredibly competent. There's almost a running gag in that game where Jill gets into trouble, someone tries to save her, they screw it up, and she ends up having to save herself, as well as whoever happens to be around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember being so excited for being able to drop items anywhere, never thinking that Capcom would decide this was a replacement for item boxes rather than to compliment them.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Capcom has been awfully quiet on Resident Evil lately and we're a bit past the point where a new main RE installment would have been released, wonder what they're up to.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember being so excited for being able to drop items anywhere, never thinking that Capcom would decide this was a replacement for item boxes rather than to compliment them.

Or make the important guns take up 2 slots.

Or have you lug around that loving takes up 2 slots hookshot for so loving long.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunethex posted:

Capcom has been awfully quiet on Resident Evil lately and we're a bit past the point where a new main RE installment would have been released, wonder what they're up to.
They just announced that they're making an entire remake of RE2 recently.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That was like 5 months ago.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Capcom's putting a lot of emphasis and PR muscle behind Street Fighter V. I wouldn't expect to hear much about anything else until after it comes out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Accordion Man posted:

They just announced that they're making an entire remake of RE2 recently.

No-one knows what form it's going to take, we're hoping as a full remake but ya know Capcom. It could just be the GC version in HD.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Doing something like that would require at least as much work as a full remake. Even if they "just" recycled the sets and models from "Memories of a Lost City," that's still basically a complete ground-up new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Jill is an absolute idiot in RE1/REmake, but during/after RE3 she gets a lot less dumb as the writing gets less ridiculous. So yeah, she's pretty no-nonsense, professional, etc. She's a little dull, but she knows what she's doing.

There is no universe where the writing in the Resident Evil games becomes less ridiculous per game.